HOLY SHIT WHAT DISTRO

>Sorry another distro thread

Alright, i've been a linux newFag for like 6 months and used ubuntu cause its ' tHe bEsT fOr nOoBs' , but I have learned barely anything.

I mean, I'm pretty good with unix, but the OS itself is trying too hard to be windows. So I want something that is a solid linux build AND that will teach me things along the way, so i'm not just using Linux to be hipster.

And in comes Jow Forums. Everybody complains about every distro, and I feel like no matter what I choose something will be wrong with it. Tell me what I need, to many people are anti- Arch, and I thought Debian was safe but some other thread said it was shit.

Like I said newfag enlighten me PLEASE

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1024x768, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

distrochooser.de/en
linuxfromscratch.org/
linuxjourney.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

windows 10

Needs to be unix based. I mean I guess I could use a linux terminal emulator but thats dumb.

gayOS

Alright now that sounds more like it

Scratch build with tcc and sbase

There really isn't much of a difference between them all. Mostly just how they distribute the packages to you.

Just pick the one that has your favorite icon and be free.

Yeah see I cant get behind that. I want there to be some rational justification for what I choose.

First, is correct.

Second, "learning" Linux doesn't come from understanding the differences between distros, because (again) the only main difference is how they package software.

Really, learning Linux (for desktop, everday usage) is about learning:
1) What it really means when you're installing an OS
2) What all the command line tools are, along with and especially bash

Those don't require any specific distro. Just be willing to open the command line more and do things from there, and you'll be a true poweruser.

try with debian netinstall and install/customize a window manager.

Most helpful

Is a Hacintosh harder then installing Linux? As much as I prefer the OS, I am sick of what the company has become.

First, get a new graphic, quite a few of those are either dead or straight up don't exist anymore.

solus is breddy alright, but i might switch to ubuntu later on.

If you actually want to learn I'd recommend slackware.

Just pick one of the popular ones on distrowatch and stick with it
Popular because that means it will have support unlike small meme distros

Only major choice is do you want something stable or rolling release
And do you want Debian based, Redhat/RPM based, Arch based, or something different (not recommended)

I’ll mention I’ve been using Opensuse as my daily driver for 3 years and it’s been solid overall

Debian is shit. A 2 year lagtime on packages is annoying as F. Screw safety.

GuixSD

Run Arch. It comes barebones and you get to add to it as you wish.

Yeah so I like the idea of high customization, even if it takes lots of time to figure out, because I am willing to put effort into this. But I don't think I know enough to make that call? What would you recommend??

What would someone experienced be using?

Install gentoo. It'll force you to connect all the dots and understand the different system layers.

Then wipe it and use xubuntu

Oh and install Git and read the man pages, and guides included with man pages.

>xubuntu

Man these are some decent ideas

Distro largely doesn't matter to the user experience (excepting things like Nixos). It's primarily a choice of package manager and release strategy. Just pick ubuntu, If you build an opinion about one of those things you can switch.

So this means GNOME < Xfce ?

Cause its lighter?

install gentoo

Try compiling Linux From Scratch.
Good for education.

Then try installing OpenSUSE

distrochooser.de/en

Holy shit, das ist precise.

use MX linux

Cent OS 7.

distrochooser.de/en

I'd recommend Arch (Manjaro if the install is too much just enable the AUR). They have the best repositories and driver support. Just pick a distro and go everyone has a gripe with every distro. All distros are basically the same though. Just learn to Bash script. That's the quickest way to learn most things. Just start doing every task through the command line. Use ViM (or emacs) and don't be afraid to read the manual for commands

Centos 7
It gibes you job security and a neat little hat to wear indoors when you tell your neighbors that you are better than them.

Infinitely harder lmao

Gentoo or gtfo

guys what distro should an artist use?

Attached: katie-drazdauskaite-1223098-unsplash.jpg (5472x3648, 2.83M)

KDE neon
Also use Krita

Attached: 219F6C22-0047-4E6A-BE6C-E65B52AFEB45.png (3641x1560, 3.6M)

First, get a hybrid Debian, Gentoo or Xubuntu and let it be your main system. Second, build a Linux from Scratch.

linuxfromscratch.org/

Unironically arch or manjaro. The archwiki is plentiful for beginners and really detailed as well

Just try Arch/Debian (based on whether you want rolling release updates or not) because they have you build your system from the bottom up. That's the best way to learn imo

Linux Mint cinnamon is most comfy

If you're an artist in a professional setting, knowing your way around PS and other Adobe stuff is basically a must. It sucks, but until support for stuff like that comes to Linux you're probably better off sticking to windows. If you're not a professional and you just do art art on the side then this:

Installing Arch or Gentoo will teach you a lot about the system, but I don’t think that’s necessarily the best approach for a new user. You may end up getting frustrated with everything and going back to Windows, and that’s not the goal of any Linux community. I’ve used both and found that the time and effort it takes to Get Shit Done(tm) is more than I’m willing to deal with, even as an experienced user.

With that said, there are also some distributions that will teach you virtually nothing because they’re so easy to maintain. These are distributions like Elementary, Mint, or Ubuntu.

I see a lot of recommendations on here for Debian, but I honestly can’t stand using Debian after using a rolling release for so long. The packages are so god damn old and are really meant for users who require a rock solid stable system above all else. Typical desktop users will not see any real benefit to using such outdated software in the name of stability.

This doesn’t really leave a lot or big names for you to latch onto. A couple of big distros that remain are Fedora and OpenSUSE, both of which are fine distros which I’ve used with great pleasure. But even they are probably on the easier side of things.

If you want to try something a little different that has up to date packages but doesn’t hold your hand so much, I would actually recommend you give Void Linux a shot.

For me, choosing a distro boils down to a few things:
- the package is important like previous posts say, make sure it at least has software you want; if you aren't familiar with linux software yet then make sure it has lots of options for different types of software (music/video/office etc)
- some distros require more work & knowledge to get going; some are beginner friendly or ready to go 'out of the box'; therefore decide how much time/learning you want to invest, but you can always start somewhere & learn more as you go along
- decide what you want it to look like; in linux there are different DE (desktop experience), some distros use only certain DE, others offer lots of different options
- lastly, everyone here will love or hate on you for choosing this or that distro; so ignore all that choose what works for you & what you like because you are the one using it
- try a live version before you install to make sure the drivers work with your hardware (most distros probably will) & also to see how you like it: the look & feel, software installed and options in the package manager
- additionally if you are looking for some specialized thing like 4K or audio/video recording, then maybe only certain distros will meet that criteria

the distros that I have liked are: manjaro, pclinuxos, solus, kde neon, kubuntu, ubuntu studio
Linux is all free, so just dive right in & start trying some out. If you don't like one, install some other distro

Can never go wrong with Slackware.

I run it on everything from my Laptop (C, Go, Rust, and ASM Programming) to my RPI3 to my Desktop.

Ubuntu: depreciated see: manjaro
Debian: stable release only
Arch: use a flavor, but has the most shit.
Manjaro: is to Arch as Ubuntu is to Debian. Just as buggy.

What do you expect to learn? What do you expect to learn from just daily use? You're not going to "learn linux" by shitposting in a god damn web browser.

The only way to "learn linux" is to configure a variety of different systems by hand. Set up a desktop installation that launches with X. Configure a DE. Do it again, but with full disk encryption. Do it again, but use a totally different init system this time. Build a NAS. Do it again, but encrypt the storage pool this time. Set up continuous backups. Build a git server or something. Build a router. Set up an SSH server in a DMZ. Do it again, but with a VPN this time. Etc.

If you can't afford the hardware, do it with VMs.

want to learn something.

> Ez curve
Solus

> Medium Curve
Arch, Slackware

> Holyshit watchu doin
Gentoo

Arch or Gentoo for your trial by fire. Then pick whatever the fuck you want.

Simple rule:
If you don't know, any ubuntu flavour is probably the answer.

> but I have learned barely anything.
Start here then linuxjourney.com/

What are you trying to learn? Why not just learn that? You can literally do anything with any distro.
If you need ideas, linuxjourney (.) com
> Everybody complains about every distro, and I feel like no matter what I choose something will be wrong with it.
Because this site is full of retards. They would complain about a hammer not being able to insert a screw into sheet metal.

I've been using Ubuntu Server for 2 years before I switched to Arch. Ubuntu Server like Debian net install and similar recommendations people gave wasn't a great choice looking back because Ubuntu's documentation is mostly pointed towards people who use a GUI for everything.

Arch is a meme, but people keep parroting to use it as I will. As you will learn, the only real difference between distros is just the packages that come installed by default, that's it, nothing more. There is no noob distro, only those that have most things configured out of the box, and those that are minimal and expect you to install what you want. In reality, you can take any distro and turn it into any other distro, just by installing and removing packages.

The only reason why Arch is better than other distros is it's phenomenal Wikipedia, which has a lot of basic and obscure things detailed brilliantly. So, start with Arch, go to the installation Wiki, and start from there. Read carefully, read a few times, get frustrated a lot of times but don't give up. And read the fucking manuals, most of the time you will learn a lot of things about commands from their manuals instead of googling every specific use case.

I'll leave you with some basic terms you should read and get a basic understanding of before you get into it all: partitioning, filesystem, network manager, bootloader, package manager, dotfiles, display manager, composite manager, display server, window manager, desktop environment, daemon, init system

Attached: Screenshot_20190329_095333.png (1264x314, 53K)

TempleOS

wa la

Attached: wala.png (233x216, 6K)

Fedora is pretty comfy

>BASED QUINTS HAVE SPOKEN
Fedora with kde is ultra comfort especially if you're coming from windoze

Attached: 1552566763602.png (468x468, 140K)

>answer it trying to get babbies first distro
>got Scientific Linux, CentOS and red hat
shits broke yo

So many broken and flawed operation systems. Linux is truly pathetic.

What is the distro that has Tails? i loved that one.

Attached: 1445766732431.png (549x560, 258K)

You mean what's the distro tails is based on? It's Debian

yeah i think it was that one, im going to try it on VirtualBox

Try out Windows, it is a linux distro with wine embedded

Distro is just preinstalled software with a package manager.

Do a Ubuntu netinstall or a Manjaro Architect install. Or install arch.

That way you start with an empty base and build it how you want to do what you want.

Gentoo.
You want to learn, don't you?

Gonna do some real Web dev stuff after graduating from pajeet tier wordpress deployment
Is there any significant difference between opensuse and fedora aside from dnf and zypper for this kind of work?

>take test
>Arch
>Gentoo
>Slackware
>Qubes
based aber useless

>KDE
Wayland GNOME is superior, expecially on Fedora

How does dragonfly BSD compare to Arch?

I have a better question. What low resource distro would be best to run a VM program with so I can run Windows inside it?

Attached: the prize.jpg (419x441, 35K)

Unironically Arch or Gentoo.

Honestly just install arch in a VM. That's what I did when I started in 2011. You learn to not be afraid of the command line. You learn how to manually partition your drives, how to edit config scripts, how to handle a whole lot of stuff under the hood. Then, when you're comfortable with that, install Gentoo in another VM. It's more of a deep dive and you'll have to compile shit manually. Once you're completely comfortable with Gentoo, you're pretty much an experienced user and can handle yourself well enough when something breaks. Then just jump to whatever distro you find most comfy and know that if some hiccup happens, you can handle it.

gentoo

Arch with i3 or openbox would be super light. Pick either or, depending on if you want tiling or stacked wm.

Use arch for a month.
Then gentoo for two or three.
And then pick GUIXSD or nixos.

youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI

>hey guys what's a good hypervisor distro
>that would be my favorite window manager

>distrochooser.de/en
Gave me Debian 9, this is good

VMs are great for learning, that is for sure. None of that drive destroying none sense that comes with tarding around on a new OS.

Install something that comes with a window manager rather than a DE such as Arch labs or bunsenlabs. If you want to be thrown to the deep end install Arch. It's like being thrown in an ocean to lern how to swim. I never stuck with it but I lerned a lot from doing it.