Tfw to much of a brainlet to comprehend regular expressions

>tfw to much of a brainlet to comprehend regular expressions
I'm still gonna make it, right Jow Forums? One of my friends told me regular expressions were going to get deprecated soon.

Attached: 1548036534161.jpg (896x921, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anonfile.com/5cNck4V1m9/Introduction_to_regular_expressions_mp4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How can you not understand regex?

Deprecated how?

Dude just go do a worksheet on reg ex. Spend an hour or two banging your head, and it’ll save you hundreds of hours in your career.

Just goggle for them when you need common ones, and fuck around with regex101.com otherwise when you need something weird

link

Facts:
>regex will never be deprecated
>simple regex is piss-easy to learn if you spend just a half hour cramming.
>Look it up. For complex regex, just google it and be done.

are you cucks telling me you know what
(?:[a-z0-9!#$%&'*+/=?^_`{|}~-]+(?:\.[a-z0-9!#$%&'*+/=?^_`{|}~-]+)*|"(?:[\x01-\x08\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x1f\x21\x23-\x5b\x5d-\x7f]|\\[\x01-\x09\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x7f])*")@(?:(?:[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?\.)+[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?|\[(?:(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?)\.){3}(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?|[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9]:(?:[\x01-\x08\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x1f\x21-\x5a\x53-\x7f]|\\[\x01-\x09\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x7f])+)\])

is for? didn't think so.

That's not about understanding regex. You can make anything super complex.
>he says he knows addition yet he can not even add 5000 random numbers, what a noob

Here. I copied this video for you.
anonfile.com/5cNck4V1m9/Introduction_to_regular_expressions_mp4

>If you're looking for regular expressions to match a date or a password or credit card format, there really is no reason that you should be trying to create it yourself from scratch.... I wouldn't be at all focused on trying to memorize these formats. I'd be more focused on understanding the fact that they do exist, what they can be used for, how they're used. The syntax itself is something you don't need to memorize, not now, if probably ever. They are a tool. They're something to be used when you need them.

So yeah, you're going to make it.

Not valid regex dipshit.
Try harder next time.

Attached: (you).jpg (1600x902, 105K)

i don't actually know what regex does.

I just use this to create regex: regexr.com

Regex defines a language.
In real programming you usally use it for pattern matching.

Regexes are "write once read never", learn using them using books and challenges but forget about learning by dissecting an example.

i mean i know what it does and i use it when i code sometimes, but if you were to show me some regex and ask me to identify it. I wouldn't be able to even if my life depended on it.

You have 5 minutes to prove that PALINDROMES is not a regular language. You should be able to solve this.

Complex regexes can be broken up, formatted and commented , just like complex code. It just isn't common because they are so easy to test that usually you can trust the expression does what it's supposed to.

It requires unbounded state to detect.

I don't know what unbounded means. All I know is pumping lemma.

They won't be deprecated. Unless maybe you mean by GUI regex generators , which already exist. But usually anything beyond a basic regular expression is going to be better suited by something else, abstract syntax trees for example

regex101 is nicer

a tape which is so long you can't hold it all and your arms get sore

There are only 2 concepts you need to understand in regex. Ignore everything else like special escape characters.
Union: a|b matches a or b
Grouping: (a|b)a matches ab or aa
Repetition: a* matches a, aa, aaa...

>tfw trying to use the Jow Forums X filter and it doesn't tell you how to filter exact phrases and words.

Typing in "mayo" filters "may". Typing in "fuck you" filters "you".

Attached: 0EC70B4879B04F9F8B959D7FEF478275.jpg (640x640, 50K)

#learn2escape

Attached: 1543499125699.png (638x359, 247K)

In general I agree. One thing about regex is, that every language can have slightly different syntax and the mathematicians will also have a different syntax.

>Repetition: a* matches a, aa, aaa...
This would be almost correct in the mathematical definition, a* matches (empty), a, aa, aaa...
The behaviour where you exclude the empty string would be a+ in some languages.

The one thing that I will say is genuinely confusing/difficult is that different languages or programs might have a slightly different regex syntax, for simple stuff it is fine but it gets irritating at times. I think that it's mostly the old Unix programs that drive me crazy in this regard though

When the slashes are properly escaped, that regex appears to match email addresses. Even unusually formatted ones such as where the mailbox is surrounded by quotes, like "Smith"@example.com.