Why is web hosting so fucking expensive?

Why is web hosting so fucking expensive?

Attached: 1519492688207.png (640x600, 131K)

Other urls found in this thread:

namesilo.com/
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-linux-apache-mysql-php-lamp-stack-ubuntu-18-04
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1432833
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why not just selfhost for FREEEEEE?

Is it? A basic server is like 10 bucks a month, if you need a powerful server you should have users, so it will pay for itself.

You're clearly looking in the wrong place if it's expensive.

github pages bro

Just buy a $5 dollar vps from Digital Ocean, install apache or nginx, and serve. The reason why web hosting is expensive is because it's geared towards normies who can't into configuring a server.

A vps is better because they have high speed internet and won't go down when the power goes out. Also, you don't have to deal with noise, or anything else annoying. Once you've set it up, you won't have to touch it again.

What are you trying to host?

You can host static sites for free on surge.sh, gitlab pages, or github pages.
You can host any sort of backend stuff on a $5/month VPS with Digital Ocean.
You can use Cloudflare for a free CDN.

Shit's pretty cheap nowadays.

>wont go down when power goes out

You can't afford a $30 laptop from ebay?

>his internet doesn't go out when the power does
neat

>he doesn't have free CDN/backup internet via 4G/LTE connection

yes

>noise
You can run a personal webserver off a pi or another microboard. You aint gonna be downloading loads of stuff off your 60gb hdd in a VPS and you sure as hell won;t be getting a lot of traffic for a personal site

It's not.

Did i tell you about g's sponsor: square space?

because chinese hackers gonna hack your moms computer

What's the best way to host an anonymously purchase a domain which points to an externally hosted inflammatory video?

find a website hoster that accepts bitcoin.
buy some bitcoin offline, locally, and pay for it with cash.
buy a domain, upload, host it behind cloudflare with free plan.

your ISP wont allow that.

aws free tier
linux ec2b install apache

What do you mean? It is not that expensive, here in Portugal I can have a basic web hosting service for 3€/month

>expensive
Can you really not afford $5?

that would be great time to change isp

>Why is web hosting so fucking expensive?
It's not.

Attached: 5162.png (1134x677, 39K)

lowendtalk regularly has people advertising shared instances for like $1-2 a month. Sure, you get like 256MB of memory and CPU usage is honor rule, but it's cheap as fuck. Web hosting is only expensive if you use a full turnkey solution designed for normies.

Where's your hosting at?

>get DDOSed by Chinese click farm
>your hosting cost is now $1000usd

???

Attached: NearlyFreeSpeech pricing.png (670x514, 19K)

The majority of web host and VPS hosts charge you a flat rate.

> rent 5$ VPS from Hetzner Cloud or Vultr
> google "how to install Ubuntu LAMP"
> google "how to install fail2ban"
> use a private key to authenticate yourself

Boom you are settled.

>fail2ban
meme

well if he fails to disable password auth, its a "thing that works".

I usually do:
> deploy latest boobuntu
> install fail2ban
> change ssh to NO password auth
> change SSH port
> change fail2ban's config to new SSH port
> install UFW
> allow {new ssh}, 80/443/whatever I need
> ufw enable
> ufw disable logging
> install LAMP
> change mysql to password auth (most mysql guides include this, basically you open mysql as sudo, then change root to have some password - this is needed for phpmyadmin)
> install phpmyadmin from package or by "hand"
> add to phpmyadmin's apache.conf to ONLY allow localhost
> install tigervnc server
> set up ssh port forward for both phpymadmin and VNC so I can reach both

that's about it.
IMO it's something no one will breach in a 1000 years.

> inb4 why boobuntu
Because it just werks. You have snap, you have PPA, you have pbuilder. Comfy. You even have "mainline kernel ppa".
> inb4 why phpmyadmin
Fuck you, that's why. It's just comfier to create users in, search for data.

>ubuntu lamp
Why tho; Ubuntu is a lot of unnecessary bloat for just a web server.
Also good choice with Hetzner and Vultr, used both, very happy with both.

Cheap Kimsufi box with Debian and LEMP on it.
Pretty cool too.

ah yes, for vnc:
> install xfce4-desktop package
> change the vnc server's xstartup config to "xfce4-session &"

I would 100% agree if we were like... in 2010, when you could get a VPS with 256 or 512MB ram.
But both Vultr and Hetzner gives you sooo much ram, that it's just not worth the fuss. You get automatic security updates, security tested, patched kernels, yadda yadda. I KNOW, you can like grab a vanilla php, then patch it, then ... I just don't have the time. Even if I have the time now, I know that weeks later, I may not. So it's just easier.

Even the smallest VPS is like 2gigs? And you have SSD, so a swapfile based SWAP on the SSD and you are soooo set...

A static ip is now more expensive than a vps

I would say "No" to that.
> only 100mbps
> cheapest boxes are super slow Atom that are slower than a 1 thread VPS from Hetzner/Vultr or even OVH
> no auto backup
> no snapshot
> no kvm
> no redundancy, failsafe measures

You give up a lot to use a cheapo dedi, and not gain much, friendo.

btw I would recommend checking out OneProvider, if you are in Europe. Their Paris range is thrown away Online.net servers, and they do hook you up with KVM + 1gbps (for real) internet.

But, then again, it's just a shitty Atom at the end of the day.

Yeah the thing is the power went out for the area last week and suddenly every phone connected to 4G which overloaded the cell tower in about a minute. So no cable broad band and only edge network on my phone.

It is a Pay-to-Win business thing. Raise up costs high enough so no one can have good services unless they are running with the big dogs.

Attached: 2007.jpg (4576x2000, 1.85M)

OK Web hosting is cheap and easy to get and setup but what about domain names?

Webhosting has never been cheaper.

Hmm, had a quick look at them, very nice pricing for them. Might consider them in the future. Thanks friendo! :)

fail2ban just werks

>$5/month + $10/year
>expensive
underage

So ubuntu lamp just werks then with no worries whatsoever?

also super easy and cheap.
I use Namesilo [ namesilo.com/ ] but Namecheap is also decent.

Just make sure to check "renew price", and do NOT fall for the registration price. Cause reg price is often like 1-2$, but renew is a lot more.
I mean, most renew is roughly, bit below 10$. 10$ a year. Son, that's... less than a onions latte at your local basedbucks.

Or you can use "TK domain" which is free.

Attached: local.png (506x377, 17K)

Absolutely.

The best guides (IMO) can be found at DigitalOcean's wiki. Just google "Digitalocean ubuntu lamp" and behold. They are mainly a VPS company, but their prices are way higher. I would recommend using DigitalOcean if you are doing like enterprise stuff.
See: digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-linux-apache-mysql-php-lamp-stack-ubuntu-18-04
This shows every step, even the root sql thing.
Only missing thing is phpmyadmin: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1432833
(See second post, bold part).
Just open the config like:
sudo nano -w /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf

and insert the bold part into the same place. see pic.
this will only allow your own server to reach phpmyadmin. so, how do YOU reach it?
well. you can use either a VNC server and client, OR just set up SSH port forward. sounds fancy, but in reality, its piss fucking easy. I'll post a pic of how it looks like.

Ie.: Have a 1000$ budget, and a project where you scale up / down with demand. Kinda like Amazon AWS use case.

It's free kek what are you talking about

> how to SSH

1) Download "KiTTY". It's like a beefed up PUTTY.
2) Go Connection.
"Seconds between keepalives: 50"
"Reconnect options: ..." tick both here IF you want to reconnect. I do. I am lazy.
3) Go Connection -> SSH -> AUTH.
Pick your private key that you used at Vultr/Hetzner Cloud to set up your server with. You can set up this key setup later too, it's not too hard to learn (its pretty easy desu) and it's a VERY useful skill to have. So, if you are bored one day, but have no idea how, I recommend learning key based authentication.
Anyway.
4) Connection -> SSH -> Tunnels
And that's where my screenshot comes in.
Just fill the bottom:
> Source port: 6969
> Destination: 127.0.0.1:80
Add.

REMEMBER TO SAVE THIS (click back to Session on top left, give this session a name and save).

What this port voodoo does?
The server's :80 port, will be your local 6969.
So you want to open phpmyadmin?
Just open Chrome/Firefox, and type: 127.0.0.1:6969/phpmyadmin
And it will work. This is called SSH tunneling.

Attached: portforward.png (452x591, 23K)

>static IP
>hasn't heard of DDNS

eh still, hosting anything local is just retarded. even if you just buy a raspberry + power supply + case + storage... and then you end up with a super shit, slow "hosting"... JUST W H Y

>rent vps
>set it up
>login via ssh
>start web hosting
congratulations! you now have your own virtual server for $50 or more a year, depending on how much traffic your cuck archive attracts

Dynamic dns costs the same as a 5 quid a month vps and isn't as reliable, would still use it if I wanted access to my local gear for showing off purposes. Otherwise a home server vpn will do

underrated

It literally just werks here, even with three different chat servers in addition to a HTTPd.

>get domain via namecheap (for cheap)
>get free DDNS
What the fuck are you talking about?

>2019
>using micro$oft shithub

Thats not strickly true, some ISP's wont let you but others will. I hosted a site from my Raspberry Pi, I just had to unblock some ports on my ISP account settings.

Agreed

Thanks for the tips bub
Might start a website freelancing service with all these boomer enterprises around

Sure.
All you need is Wordpress. You can build webshops, blog sites, hotel sites, anything really lol. All it takes is just a bit of effort, and a free template...

amazon s3 free buckets, hashbang.sh with a random port, github pages, google cloud vps on always-free tier, just to name a few of free hosting services out there.