What is Jow Forums's thoughts on GNU Guile?

What is Jow Forums's thoughts on GNU Guile?

Attached: Guile-banner.small.png (583x146, 20K)

Go home and be a family man!

The future.

the tortoise example in the getting started tutorial didn't work for me so I dropped it.

Lisp sucks, it makes everything needlessly verbose. Yeah, it was groundbreaking, but now we have languages that take the good parts of Lisp without all the pain.

>Scheme
Just use Common Lisp, retard. Enough with this proliferation of crippled Lisps.

scheme is more powerful than c++ommon lisp

>Needlessly verbose
>Hey everyone, I've never written any Lisp! I don't know what a function is!

It's okay, but I prefer chicken for pure scheme projects. It's what I would use if I wanted to embed scheme in a C program.

>lisp
>needlessly verbose
Yes you're right. Much faster to just use std::function f = [](double x) -> bool { return std::fabs(x - 1.0) < std::numeric_limits::epsilon(); }

Borderline useless Lisp implementation (like all), but I have to give it credit where credit is due:
- It's the least useless Lisp in existence.
- It probably has the best GNU related website and logo. Now, that is.

Attached: hmm.jpg (354x310, 22K)

What exactly makes guil crippled when compared to Lisp (I've only used emacs lisp).

Isn't Guile just a GNU version of scheme?

Is Guile trying to beat pythonas gnus scripting language of choice?

Tbh idk what Guile is meant to do aside from being a hobby.

kek fpbp

fears the blanka

Quick list some game engines written in lisp.

Guile IS the GNU scripting language of choice. It is the official language to use for extensible GNU programs.

>If you don't like lisp, you must like sepples
absolutely retarded post tbqh famalam

It's super slow and basically the same as every other scheme implementation.

My point was that lisp isn't even close to the worst offender on the needlessly verbose front. From what I've experienced, it tends to be pretty terse

>but now we have languages that take the good parts of Lisp without all the pain.
No, we have much slower languages that badly reinvent Lisp.
It's also so terse that people used to complain about the terseness.

> LISP is verbose.

What the hell?

He's not completely wrong, especially if you use a lot of record types. E.g. foo->bar->baz vs (record-baz (record-bar foo)).
Now imagine that "record" could be something stupidly verbose, such as an identifier from a C library like wlr-seat-pointer-request-set-cursor-event.

guile sux, chez and racket are superior

>I don't know what macros are

>Just use this language without RCE or hygienic macros

Nothing. In terms of language features Guile is actually legit the most powerful language that exists now, with syntax-rules, syntax-case, defmacro, call/cc, and shift/reset

Ok mr lisp professional, write a macro for accessing nested scheme records that's as concise as C syntax. I look forward to using it in my programs.

No DSL making features
Tiny community
No qt3.14 fp gf
Looks like racket wins again lads

Attached: IMG_20190330_014644.jpg (1600x1295, 212K)

Not same guy but you could write a deref macro with an experience like this one:
(deref foo bar baz)

It's literally just composing the threading macro, followed by adding "record-" to every symbol after the first one.

It's simply not possible to write a generic macro for accessing arbitrarily nested records in scheme, because the only way to access a slot is through the functions defined by the define-record-type form. In CLOS you could use slot-value (it would of course have worse performance than the C version, but similar brevity), but scheme does not have any facility for accessing slots by name.

Subpar documentation, outdated packages, no windows binaries, bad libraries. Racket is a better Scheme. Common Lisp is a better Lisp. Guile is good for embedding I guess.

Attached: 1548901149087.jpg (716x717, 32K)

>least useless Lisp
Emacs lisp though

Guile scripts 3 applications, emacs only 1

And nobody uses those three Guile-scripted applications.

Only useless sperglords aka not people use emacs, so that would be 0 vs 0.

no one cares except GNU/Zealots
barely anyone cares about any of the Lisps