/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Attached: 1534906420736.png (516x619, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/minexew/Shrine
manual.audacityteam.org/man/sample_workflow_for_lp_digitization.html)
youtu.be/vvwjq3Zi3wE?t=67
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How do I go about on buying a soldering kit? What do I need to look for in a soldering iron?
I'm a novice with no experience searching for "basic but good".

Attached: 1553850982549_2.png (516x619, 85K)

I gotta get a beater PC so I can try out Temple OS. It seems strange.

Is there something I can look for in sata to usb adapters that will tell me if it will pass on smart info?

When will TempleOS get internet access?

What's a good wireless mouse with a very long battery life? Just need something when browsing for my laptop.

If I sign into my Google account on Chromium, i it any different than just getting Chome?
>inb4 botnet
work related for bookmark and file syncing, also Netflix apprently doesnt work on Chromium but woks on Chrome? If I'm already signed into Chromium and I want extra features then is switching to Chrome the right move?

alternatively, should I just download Chrome exclusively for Netflix, and not sign into Google at all on Chrome? Will Google recognize I'm signed into Chromium and automatically sync my account?

You don't need the interent when communicating with the almighty lord.

if you're signed into your google account on chromium then you might as well get chrome at this point for the better functionality. I honestly don't get why youre trippin if it's just for work and browsing the web

yes

Attached: IMG_20190329_100823.jpg (1000x1000, 239K)

You have those mousepad+charger options

Is it true that having big chunks of files (like games) on SSD is detrimental to it's health?

Having an SSD which is almost full makes writing to it more detrimental to its health.
SSDs will try to spread writes over as many flash cells as possible to minimise wear on any particular cell. If the disk is nearly full then there aren't many cells to choose from.

SSDs are built to store files, it literally doesn't care.

Is it UASP or something? Very few listing give details about SMART data.

I've used an old OCZ vertex 60gb SSD as my freenas boot drive for several months until the whole machine crashed and the SSD corrupted some files apparently.
For the past ~10hours I've been using HDTUNE to write and verify the whole drive around 7 passes I think and never encountered an error.
Was this a one off freakshow or is it dying? SSD health is at 96% supposedly.

is using an SSD as the only drive safe in 2019?
I have a laptop with a 1gb SSD for work and I'm always worried that it might eventually break

I have SSDs with 50k power on hours. They are just like any other storage device, they work fine until they die. Having all your shit on one drive is never safe, no matter what the medium.

Enterprise environment with an overloaded DHCP server and a few hundred Win 7 boxes, is there a group policy that can restrict logon attempts before an IP address is assigned? Trying to cut down on user complaints while my boss takes care of the rest.

How about "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" under computer configuration/administrative templates/system/logon ?

gf has a macbook air 2015 with El Capitan. Is there any point upgrading to Mojave? Is it slow?

Is there a service available, that provides secure vpn option, cloud storage and (optional secure e-mail provider) in one package?

Anons I need your help. My corporate workstation runs windows 10. I went to log in today and it says my password, the same for 8 years, is incorrect. I restarted in safe mode and it asked for my password. I did safe mode with command prompt and it also asked for my password. I went to password recovery in advanced options and it asked for my password. All wrong. Anyone have this problem? Why is windows so pajeeted?

PLEASE ANONS, I NEED HELP!

Attached: crying.jpg (800x450, 153K)

ask your domain admin to reset it and force a new password at login

he is stumpted too lol. He is trying to log in using a usb bootable program and change the password via some kind of backdoor, i dunno.

Best OS for Coffee Lake processors?

Did he set up a local admin like a good little domain admin? Because he should have those credentials. Leave the domain and rejoin.

then tell him to use the tools he has and log into the domain controller and reset it from there

This looks promising, thank you.

I doubt we can. We are a small company and really don't use impressive tech. Our website isn't self hosted and all our PCs are local. We use filezilla to access our website. I can't really give much more info as I'm not nearly qualified enough, hence /sqg/

Are you sure it isn't something stupid, like a temperamental keyboard key?

Gotcha however you said domain admin, which implies you’re part of an AD domain. That’s basic stuff and doesn’t matter whether your website is self hosted. Each PC should have a local admin for emergency purposes such as this. You have an issue with communication to your DC, all he has to do is log in to the local admin, head to system properties and leave the domain and rejoin it using the cached domain admin credentials.
If your user account is local, not a domain user, then idk why you even have a domain admin. There’s always ntpasswd, but I don’t know if that works on W10 anymore.
Hope you get your problem fixed in a timely manner, user!

swapped out the keyboard and checked the password as I typed it, it's exactly right.

Sorry for the confusion user, he is a company director and the website developer. He doubles as tech support as many people do in small companies. He is trying ntpassword or a similar program now. I think he is gonna resort to getting the data off the hardrive and formatting it.

Bump

You can get an AWS server or any remote server and install the services yourself.

i dropped my ps3 motherboard and cpu fell out,will it still work if i put it back or should i just buy new ps3

Attached: 1498615128616.gif (371x206, 178K)

How much more difficult is C++ starting from C#? I feel ready to put on the big boy shoes

Attached: 1552072402423.png (800x800, 47K)

i need more of an advice than a question but here goes:
i have this pretty old 250GB drive. there's absolutely nothing wrong with it but...it's small. up till now i've been storing games on it but with games nowdays easily going over 50GiB it's just not enough. but i don't really want to put it away either (i'm actually curious when will it die)
anyway i've been wondering what could i use those 232GiB for? any ideas?

No garbage collector, so you need to do it yourself.

>it might eventually break
It will, assuming you use it long enough.

Understood! Just an FYI if using ntpasswd - it’s easier to *blank* the password and set the “require password change on next login” bit. Sometimes setting a password from the command line doesn’t take properly.

yep, tried. resorting to pulling files off the hard drive and formatting it now. tried command line setting up new admin user, tried ntpassword, tried safe mode shit. Not got a microsoft account so can't ask for an email reset and never set up a usb with a back up password because why the fuck would anyone think a computer is incapable of accepting a password?

Sorry, I removed my post when I realized someone else had suggested it--good to know you can at least pull your relevant data off the hard drive. How bizarre, though! And worrisome.

1000x times this. Or alternatively giving another AD account admin rights. I'm resetting local passwords constantly, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal

you might be interested in this
github.com/minexew/Shrine

Best free and easy to use video editor for windows 10?

yeah every month that passes I hate W10 more. I have gone from thinking that Windows 10 is fine, to a step down from 7 to utter garbage. How it managed to make changes significant enough to not be able to read and recognize its own password, I do not know.

I'm using this guide (manual.audacityteam.org/man/sample_workflow_for_lp_digitization.html) for ripping my vinyls. I have a one album which is in mono, should I do something differently for that?

Well, the obvious implication to me is not that it "forgot" its own password but rather that you have either an accidental or deliberate change from within the office--perhaps a prank?--or a security breach of some sort. The idea that it'd change it of its own accord is kinda far fetched, no?

duron 800, 256mb ram:
voodoo 4 4500 128mb or ati 9500 64mb? and
win 98, 2k or xp?

Did you try logging in with the internet disconnected? That worked for me when W10 was giving me shit about my password.

I've got a 64gb SSD as a boot drive with Win10 on it. I got a new 240gb SSD to replace it, what is the recommended way to clone the Windows installation on to the new SSD?

How do i install a gvim plugin on windows 7?
Fuck off with git and plugin managers, im at work and the most i can do is a drag and drop operation

Jow Forumsuys I've got a question about VPN: does it matter which country i bounce through in terms of security?

Most people who use a VPN that I know tend to bounce it through their own country, but that sounds like a stupid idea. Is it? Or am I stupid?

I know the most important thing is what jurisdiction the service operates out of, but does it matter what countries server I go through?

For p2p it really doesn't matter.

With those specific requirements clonezilla would work, although macrium reflect is usually the most foolproof.

"To fix Smart Gesture messing with Power Scheme you need to modify registry with:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASUS\ASUS Smart Gesture] "AutoSetMaxPower"=dword:00000000"
i opened HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASUS\ASUS Smart Gesture, now what?

add a new dword entry "AutoSetMaxPower" with value 0

wait, where did the shota go? ;_;

Attached: 1512426883681.png (936x1317, 653K)

Is it safe to update SSD firmware even though I've been using it for the past month or so?

Attached: ssd.png (398x195, 78K)

Fuck off, faggot.

nope, definitely not, no one else knows it apart from the director that is now going grey trying to fix it.

ok, I'll check those out, thanks!

Anyone here doing CS at Texas Tech?

>Not being gay
Gay

Attached: 1532294003636.jpg (960x1200, 87K)

thanks

how can I make the shell on fedora look sharp
it has rounded edges and that isn't really my style but I have no idea what am I looking for keyword wise

Are Manjaro devs really incompetent and their "unstable -> testing" branches are just holding updates hostage to make it seem like they're doing something?

Attached: 1552436997748.png (1920x1080, 500K)

nah

Attached: 1512429282363.jpg (600x723, 59K)

something in my case makes my harddrive sound really fucking loud it almost makes you believe the disk is dying or something (not talking about the humming but more so the read/write sounds). I put it on top of a soft cloth outside the case and it's really quiet that way.

I'm guessing it's something to do with this thing (picture off google but it's the same mechanism) because even with the side panel off and the computer on its side it's still loud so something is making shit vibrate like crazy probably. All screws are tight and shit so I don't know. Any quick ideas?

Attached: c.png (228x170, 80K)

Why would someone buy a ryzen 7 2700x when they could get an FX 9590? The FX 9590 has a 4.7 ghz clock and 5 turbo, compared to the new ryzen 3.1 turbo 3.4. I get that render farms will like more cores/threads, but for actually using the computer isn't a higher clockspeed always going to be ideal especially since most apps are singlethreaded? I don't really care about the price since their both so cheap but its also half the ryzen. What gives?

Could be the fans. Stock fans are often of shitty quality and not built with noise level in mind. Sometimes the mounts will warp them such that they'll become imbalanced and make even more noise. If you think it may be cable problems, small cable tie-wraps are great for policing cables, especially if your case has internal structural elements to which you can tie bundles.

If putting it on a cloth works, though, why not stick with that?

The performance per clock (PPC) is different between the two. On average, the Ryzen is more than 50% faster at the same clock speed. The simplest analogy is car engines. A 1.0L engine at 5000 rpm wouldn't be faster than a a 2.5L at the same 5000 rpm would it?

What apps do you use now to save snapchat videos/pics without the interface options on it and without being sent a notification.
Xposed is ancient now(only works on 4/5), snapprefs is 3 years out of development.

I really need a good pdf editor programm for windows, free. Mac has a great one where I can just select copy paste and add/delete pages. Any free alternative for windows?

why are ebay/amazon and variants filled with cheap windows 10 keys? kinda suspicious considering that microsoft rips you off at their site and then there is another pleb selling keys for as low as 5 dollars.

anyone?

What is the /g approved file host if I want to make a backup of my legally obtained files?

youtu.be/vvwjq3Zi3wE?t=67

a local hard disk.

I just copied some files from my OS drive to my storage drive. Then I deleted the originals from the OS drive. I know how much data I moved and I can see the free space on the storage drive has gone down the right amount, but the moved files are nowhere to be found! What the fuck happened?

You don't probably need C++ in the first place, so unless you need C++, stick with C#. It's not worth the hassle

I was thinking geographically redundant.

Logitech MXmaster 2S. very good with bluetooth, but comes with an optional wireless dongle for computers without it/theoretically more stable connection

Is there a better alternative to Clover? This search and blank board issue is shit

check thoroughly again. if that doesn't help, run a chkdsk

I've got a Coffee Lake CPU, which version of W10 is least shit?

based
What said. If you encrypt the backups, you could also just back it up to any cloud storage service.

in short, it is like activating it illegally, thanks.

Hey I tried to update Jow Forums X via their download, but everytime I put the .crx file in chrome extensions it gives me the "crx header invalid". Can somebody help?

trying to fix a non-booting windows machine
chkdsk finds errors, says it fixed them, but doesn't. A second run gives the same report as the first.
Is the disk FUBAR?

Done both and still nothing. Is it possible I could have deleted both at the same time? I specifically remember switching to the OS drive directory window before deleting.

They're not even in the recycle bin because I got into the habit of using shift+delete to bypass it.

bump

Doesn't exist.
Convert it to a different editable format and then back to PDF or pirate Acrobat.

I'm running Debian 9.7 (stretch) with KDE environment. Does anyone know how to remove the scrollbar? I've been searching the web with no clear answer.

>Doesn't exist.
How? How can something like macos have something built in which no other programm has? it´s not like I want the world. I just don´t want to use snipping tool on every fucking image I come across.

Is it possible to increase polling rate over bluetooth?

If not, how the fuck do devices like the dualshock 4 do it?

I have one shattered screen nexus 5, and one bootloop nexus 5x, there's a way to put the insides of the nexus 5 into the nexus 5x?