What are your thoughts on 3d printing? The hype died down, are there any major cost/quality breakthroughs coming...

What are your thoughts on 3d printing? The hype died down, are there any major cost/quality breakthroughs coming, or it will only be used for specific prototyping?

Attached: scarlett-johansson-robot-020416.png (777x437, 398K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slideshare.net/TanviVerma1/compliant-mechanisms-and-its-application-in-robotics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

whats the fucking point? you can print static plastic objects. How many of those do you need?

Lots of niche things can be made.

Jigs
Adapters
Firearm parts
Custom parts for electronic enclosures etc.

when the cost of entry is literally under 200 dollars they make a lot of sense.

sounds like an amazing technology, but I still don't see a way to use one at home other than useless shit from

you named a few useless things
name some useful ones

>firearm parts
>jigs
>custom electronic enclosures and diy parts
>useless

hobbyist DIY shit and printing gun parts instead of just buying a gun
sounds fairly useless to me

You can print metal objects too. Hell, you can print fucking houses now. That was like 10+ years ago.

>How many of those do you need?

It really depends on what I'm making or repairing.

It is useful for people who DIY or need special parts to repair something. Thingverse has made 3D printing really nice.

Attached: 3d printed houses.jpg (1890x979, 749K)

how do you print metal objects?

You can't always buy exactly what you need and sometimes you save money. Look at the guy who made a fold stock adapter for his Kriss vector on YouTube. Or people who can print mags and other banned parts in ban States.

two words: compliant mechanisms
Don't be so smug if you don't know anything.

Attached: TheNeedFull.jpg (640x420, 95K)

what compliant mechanisms can you 3d print that are useful outside of hobbies

Great bait.
8/10 Made me respond

its not a bait its a question

If you insist.
It is currently researched. However, there are efforts to create a artificial heart out of compliant mechanisms.
For a short introduction to compliant mechanisms read this:
slideshare.net/TanviVerma1/compliant-mechanisms-and-its-application-in-robotics

Sintering. It uses a metal powder or metal paste and heats it up as it prints it out. There's also one where the powder is bonded with a type of paste that hardens similar to a resin, but then the object goes into a furnace. The binder is burned off and the metal fuses. It will never beat drop forging and metal casting of course for structural integrity.

Attached: Metal 3D printing.png (1892x859, 2.86M)

>What are your thoughts on 3d printing
Its as accessible as never before. For sub 200 dollar you can get a decent machine that shit on 3 year old models that were 10 times as much.
Sinter laser or crucible print

Taking it one step further, there's a ton of research in living tissue scaffolding being printed to create replacement organs. "3D bioprinting" is the term.

They will be able to print me a foreskin in the near future I hope. Then I won't feel like dying every time I take a piss

Just don't butcher your children's genitals and some of your turmoil will be removed.

Some being the key word. Too bitter for me. I want something good for myself for once.

I don't have a 3d printer but i was repairing a locking mechanism in my car door a year ago and a small plastic part was broken.
>cant buy individual parts, have to buy whole new actuator for $300
>5c of plastic
I ended up getting the parts i needed from a wreck, wish i could have 3d printed a new part.

are they finally printing 3d printers with their 3d printers to crash the system? Because if not, I'm not interested.

Attached: img607.jpg (473x360, 22K)

It'll always be for prototyping and hobbyist shit, because FDM printed parts are not much mechanically strong and not food safe. You can however print some useful stuff.
>small tools like clamps, cable reels, cable guides, caps, tube adapters, etc
>phone and headphone stands
>joints for DIY furniture, shelf brackets
>plant vases
>cosplay props for selling
>warhammer-like figurines for selling

Also it feels good to design and fabricate little things in a matter of hours. Makes you feel like tony stark.

3D printers are stupid since a bunch of CAD work has to happen to create even the most basic item. The day 3D printers have attachments to scan objects and replicate them there isn't much point to the common person having one.

>Until the day

CAD is literally MS paint in three dimensions.

It's not hard, just takes some creativity to do once you get the shitty software to fucking work.

A piar of calipers also helps a lot if you need the thing to fit on to something else.

>if you need the thing to fit on to something else
This is what I mean though. At best only simple items like a washer or spacer can be replicated. Sure one off items can be made but the real value will be when complex items can be made simply by scanning them. This post is a good example. If they could have scanned the broken part and printed a new one then 3D makes sense for the common person. Having to have the knowledge of an engineer with CAD experience to make a useful complex part kills 3D printing. Not many persons find value in plastic trinkets. Most want useful items to replace items in existence at a fraction of the cost of buying the item.

>simply by scanning them
That's just stupid as fuck. Use "blueprints". Make sure they're freely available. One way or another.

in other words: scanning is a last resort. A form of reverse engineering. As such it's certainly justified. But not for the endconsumer. Besides, just one guy has to do that, then he can distribute the "blueprint".
>muuh scanning

>no blue prints available
3D printing is worthless at that point.
You really have no idea how worthless 3D printing is to the end consumer do you? There are literally billions of plastic parts made in the past 100 years that will never be blueprinted by hobbyists.

If these are the best arguments that can be posted against mine then yah, 3D printing is worthless for end consumers until a scan and print device is made. The world doesn't need 3D printed plastic trinket land fill fodder. It needs easily printed complex items to replace items already in existence.

>It needs easily printed complex items to replace items already in existence.
Then use your fucking rights as a citizen and make it a law that companies need to supply parts for all their shit for a certain min. amount of time. And once that time is over, make sure "the blueprints" are indeed given to the public domain. Which originally was the goal of the copy right laws (to make sure the public will get to profit from all inventions, but also to make sure shit still gets invented, but that was secondary) but got perverted to shits. thanks burgers.

How about some pictures of what any of you printed.

Didn't we just have this thread yesterday where the OP got owned? Why is this here? If you want this to be a general fuck off to /diy/

That's been a thing for years now. You just need to get some rods, motors, and PCBs. Stuff that can't be printed, yet.

>3D printers are stupid because I suck shit at CAD

lol Okay user.

>yeah, it's totally a thing
>except for the stuff that is not a thing
>yet

hnnng

Attached: Scarlett_Johansson.jpg (343x666, 22K)

3d printing is literally like crypto currecy
looks nice on the surface and as an idea but in practice its not worth the effort and not nearly as useful as claimed

Wasn't me