Moved to a bigger house and my WiFi can't handle anymore

Moved to a bigger house and my WiFi can't handle anymore.

A friend suggested to use one of those WiFi extenders (pic related) but after some research they are not very good.

What would you use to have good signal through the house?

I have ethernet cables going through the house but the problem is using mobiles and tablets.

Attached: download.jpg (266x266, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

inwall-hd.ui.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have the same problem. They are shit and have to be unplugged and plugged in again all the time.

cop extra router (with good wifi capability), slap dd-wrt on it, config it as a wifi bridge

I had that problem so I bought an extra router to use as a repeater, then I realized that was a waste of money when it failed to do what I wanted it to. Now I run a Ethernet cord to the room and plug it to the wireless router. Seriously this is best and most reliable option.

I would buy a POE switch and replace the one that is supplying internet to the copper in the house and put a UAP-AC-LR in opposing rooms.

Have you considered powerline? I'm using 'em on a three floor house and it's running problem-free for a whole year.

They come with their own power adapter. Really no reason to power the entire network for two access points.
One Ubiquiti access point might even be enough for the entire house, or he can simply add it to what he already has.

This is unironically a perfect use for a raspberry pi. Plug it into the ethernet from your room or whatever and configure it to act as a wifi access point that your phone can connect to directly. Furthermore you can make it your network's DNS server too and install pihole to block ads automatically, even on your phone/tablet.

trash on old houses, and apparently drops when a high-powered appliance is used like a microwave. I've tried powerline, repeater and creating an AP router. By price AP is the most expensive, but you'll get the most performance. Powerline was the worst of all three. I've since moved to an apartment with ethernet ports in every room so setting up AP was a no-brainer.

>Ethernet cord to the room and plug it to the wireless
>this is best and most reliable option

Attached: burglet.jpg (645x729, 77K)

Is it possible to add another pi to the mix to connect to the network wirelessly, and forward that connection with a cable to the other pi which does what you said? Would such a pair work as a wifi repeater?

Problem is that powerline will not work for WiFi only devices like phones and switch.

That's true, there are also these guys
inwall-hd.ui.com

Have you tried an ethernet cable?

Attached: 3432v4-2.png (450x608, 106K)

You can usually use a normal router as an extender. So, just hook up another one somewhere around the midpoint.

Provide an argument against it

>walk around house
>it keeps switching network

You’re aware devices are capable of having more than one SSID settings right? It’s not an issue for me.

>werks for me
so does bridging for others

imagine moving into a house in 2019 that isn't wired with ethernet jacks in every room

imagine being this retarded in 2019

lte cellspot

Attached: solid-cat6-utp-premium-lszh-305-metre-bulk-cable-blue[1].jpg (458x458, 28K)

Get another router.
Like pic, each router at the ends of the house connected through cables.
Better than extenders IMO.
Or you can get UniFi.

Attached: tegaki.png (400x400, 6K)

Imagine having house full of coax bnc ethernet because someone thought wanted to be progressive 30 years ago.

Same will happen with utp.

I wanted to do this in my shitty house but I'm fucking scared of flashing

Attached: 1445721360402.jpg (200x255, 13K)

just installed 3 botnet ubiquiti plates powered over poe. decent solution.

Set up another end point if you have cables going through the house

Or just get an eero

I had a similar problem, just with a fireproof wall. So i ended up making a small hole for ethernet and put my old fritz box on it. Turns out mesh can work through ethernet too. Even my dect phones seamlessly switch between the routers. Add two additional wifi repeaters to reach every single point in the house.
So 4 devices for 400m2. Pretty good, if you ask me.

>worried about wifi signal
>runs Ethernet through house
>doesn't buy wifi controller with APs

If you have many networks with same SSID but different BSSID then NICs usually switch between them in less than 2 seconds even if you have thick brick walls and use the old 802.11bgn standard.

wifi extenders "aren't very good" because you don't understand how they work and how these signals propogate

i got a shitty fucking netgear (almost literally the one in your picture except mine had a power plug passthrough) and it worked great because i know how to properly design a goddamn home network you stupid piece of shit

/thread

Buy an extra router and install a fucking Unify LR AP.

I have ethernet through the house with mesh access points dotted where I need them. Isn't expensive to do.

>he doesn’t understand the relationship between cost and benefit

clearly op didnt cover enough cost to get any benefit so why did you post this retarded comment?

>what is roaming

Jow Forums truly is the board for LARPing brainlets

They make them with a WiFi Ap now.
>hurr durrr shitty houses powerline adapter drops cause my house is shitty and old
Because you don't know the difference between a screwdriver and a bus driver. Tighten the terminals on your shitty sockets and it's fine. My house is 102 years old. Wiring is easy 40 years old. Replaced 2 sockets and hit 100Mb no problem.

>the absolute state of /g

Except androids which force you to bounce the nic.

Former on-site for private customers here.

You had no idea how many times I got called in to fix a laymans mess when he tried to set up a wireless repeater system.

Get wires, wi-fi extenders are pos and increase latency when they decide to work at all

You need access points. Something like the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR or similar would work, you also need a computer to put the controller software on so you can configure them. Seriously though, don't use extenders, they suck ass.

>or he can simply add it to what he already has
In that scenario handoff doesn't really work. If the extra ~$100 really is too much you could do that, but it would be better to just buy the other AP and set it on top of existing equipment if you don't want to mount it somewhere.

You think we'll be using fiber in-wall thirty years from now? Because I don't, and I run wiring as part of my job. We're not even at a point yet where most people are utilizing Cat. 5E to its full extent, let alone Cat. 6 or 6A.

Don’t be a pussy and just follow the instructions. Also you can probably find an oldish Linksys router that’d do the job on the cheap.

Attached: 15373316-66D6-4502-B3EA-B40EB51BA072.jpg (1920x1080, 127K)

>dd-wrt
>not openwrt

>Ubiquiti
Why is this proprietary garbage still shilled on Jow Forums when you can just buy a cheapo router, such as a MT7621 based one, and flash OpenWrt on it and use as an AP?

Rich people problems.

Probably because putting third party firmware on chinkshit consumer routers to use them for a totally different purpose is the most brainlet-tier suggestion in this entire thread?

/Thread

>I have a ethernet cables going through the house
10 bucks tops for a cheap router, turn off DHCP on it, same SSIDs, passwords, one more thing I don't remember (Google it) and you are good to go.

Some of the boards are designed for OpenWrt and ship with it, so it's not third party (although you should still re-flash to get stock). Secondly, there's nothing special about an AP, so what's retarded is paying extra for preconfigured software rather than simply configuring OpenWrt to act as an AP yourself.

Buy an Access Point, and plug it into the preexisting Ethernet cables. If your router supports it buy, an AP that supports Power over IP. Don't buy another router, with out configuring it to an access point it will act like a sub network.