Is Rust powerful enough for development of games?

Is Rust powerful enough for development of games?

Attached: rustyhedgehog.jpg (570x760, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/programming/comments/b6zba4/rust_has_finally_outgrown_me/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1v1 me rust m8, ill bloody rek u fgt, cheeky skrub lord, i swer on me mum thet ill bloody 420 no scope u across the map

Use c++ unless you are a gay

>eat shit unless you are a gay

Sure, but the ecosystem is young and Vulkan bindings are not ready for production

unsafe {
gl::ClearColor(0.6, 0.0, 0.8, 1.0);
gl::Clear(gl::COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
}

Attached: article-0-1743C409000005DC-965_634x553.jpg (634x553, 58K)

give it a few years.
I mean amethyst looks good but it's too early.
my 0.02$ is that gdscript is going to be the de-facto standard for writing games (not game engines).

when you free up a resource but it was a dangling pointer. That is chaos. That is unexplored territory. You didn't expect that, you don't know what to do. And that is the belly of the beast.

>slow
>unstable
>garbage collected
>oversimplified to make it easy for beginners
>tons of features, hugely complicated with awful syntax
>learning curve is an actual physical cliff where you will fall to your death
Why do you even want to make a video game? Just buy one at Walmart

>rust
>garbage collected
Wu.t

>Is Rust powerful enough for development of games?
Only if the games are inclusive and fight the patriarchy.

>oversimplified
>hugely complicated
user...

Sure, if you don't mind having the lingering thought that this game would run smoother on a PC half the specs if only you'd written it in C++ instead.

Based rust poster

Stainless steel tends to be more durable

Imagine having a small enough brain to actually believe these two points contradict each other

At your skill level? Rust has got you covered.

Got to watch out .weld()ing it though, all that Chromium.

I'm sure you can write games in Rust, but it's completely immature (good luck finding good, stable libraries to do game development, their compiler and language are not even stable) and I'm not sure what it brings over C++.

You can use unique_ptr, const-correctness everywhere, compile with sanitizers, and you have more of less the equivalent of Rust, but with better IDEs, tools, libraries, etc.

Basically there is the Chromium way: let's improve C++ by having better sanitizers, linkers, build systems, testing frameworks, etc.
And the Firefox way: let's create an entirely new language (and associated compilers, linkers, build systems, etc.)

Basically the second group can start from scratch, but they have to catch up some 20+ years.

Rust needs unsafe just to get any real fucking work done and nearly every graphics library in rust is just wrapping around a C Library.
Just use C++ and cut out the middle man

Even rust people are leaving rust behind

reddit.com/r/programming/comments/b6zba4/rust_has_finally_outgrown_me/

It was a meme. Just like every other fucking meme language that is fighting for relevance on social media due to little actual practicality

underrated JP binding

> {
statement;
statement;
}

Fuck me, that makes sense.

How has no other language ever managed to think of this?

>Is Rust powerful enough for development of games?
Nope, it usefulness is hampered by its core development philosophy/team and its community. Games can be written in rust but it lacks expressiveness and its never going to be powerful. Think javascript operating system (which exists), that's the power of rust.

What exactly makes sense about writing "SCARY COD HERE" as syntactic sugar for turning off the garbage collector?

I'm just talking about multiple declarations within curly braces.

int {
var1;
var2;

long {
var3;
}
}

I just solved the int* var vs int *var argument.

The correct approach is to write it in C++ and then rewrite it in rust.

Pascal had 'with' in the 80s

You have to take responsibility for your own memory, man.
You clean your objects, then you make your own code run a little faster, and we know that's not easy! Finally, when your own code is reasonably in order, then you can think "hey, this dependency is leaking memory, let me make a pull request to fix it"

i'm sure lobsters had this problem solved 100k years ago.

Attached: bayt.jpg (600x600, 32K)

The borrow checker will fuck you in the ass if you try to write moderately complex game logic.

The only solution is to write the engine in Rust, and use a scripting language for all the game logic

or write the engine in C++ and don't leak memory like a retard

t.

Attached: 1551785654768.jpg (474x451, 25K)

Or that

no

>catch up some 20+ years
also not weighed down by 20+ years. a lot of the rust tooling isn't built on new tech