>the year is 2019
>thinks package count === bloat
>still uses an init system based on shell scripts
>uses distro maintained by ~4 people
>has to compile most software because distro has a small repository
>thinks amount of time spent configuring system === proficiency
>only uses his system to browse the web and for minor development work
>development achievements include: hello world, static html/css website

Attached: 1533528044159.jpg (408x408, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kx.studio/Applications:Cadence
github.com/sgossner/VSCO-2-CE
virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/
void.cat/#N2P736gM2bv63lkIw38xNXp16Ud:2e5f06e5ec47addd403758dc985cb2bb:4e7c3f8c404eb359da9eda33bb8be758
hydrogen-music.org/
jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I mean, to be fair, even though I tend to stay within Windows and Unix for professional standards, Windows rather pisses me off. It has all the rights, all the compatibility, all the goddamn software.

I'd like to have a real, tangible alternative that doesn't require 80,000 lines of command to use on a daily basis. To my knowledge, Windows is the necessary evil we need to actually operate. An average user can't use Arch, a businessman at a meeting can't use Ubuntu. An accountant fresh out of college can't use Mint.

It sucks, and I hate it, but as an IT professional, it just makes more sense to use Windows. Because it's the only real option out there shy of teaching 10,000 employees how to use a system they didn't know existed until this morning.

An average user can use Manjaro or Mint, both require approximately 0 lines of shell of commands to operate.
You can use Ubuntu at a meeting, we have PDF utilities and email clients with calendars that can work with outlook.
Krita is used professionally by artists worldwide and has a comparable feature set to illustrator, while also being capable of most image manipulation tasks.
Adempiere is open-source, available for Linux, includes ERP, CRM and SCM, and is scalable for large businesses

Don't confuse your own laziness and unwillingness to find comparable solutions with the idea that those solutions do not exist.

hello bloatey

Hello Voidlet, what are you producing today? Art, music, videos, software?

Nothing? Oh, well, colour me surprised.

>the year is 2019
>thinks package count = quality
>uses windows 10 only
>has empty ubuntu dualboot
>doesn't know jack shit about computers
>only uses his system for video games
>development achievements include: tutorial-made javascript blog, squarespace site

Sorry I can't hear you over the future chip I'm producing on my GNU plus Linux operating system.

Attached: 1546595552714.png (3360x1080, 494K)

Don't confuse my laziness for someone else's. I want to find an alternative, but my professionalism does not. Not because I don't know how to use them, but because no one else does. If I started a company with anything but Windows, I could all but guarantee I'd be hard training 90% of who came in the door, which would be cheaper in the long run to just buy Windows. It's just not feasible right now to do anything but Windows as an end-user OS professionally. You can easily do cooked distro's of Linux for specific purposes, but requiring anyone at the ground level to do anything in it would be asinine. It's not that the alternatives aren't there, it's that they would be far more expensive to use productively on a large scale.

I absolutely despise it, but if you have anything more than a small team with a single, specific purpose, you'd be throwing money away on payroll.

If no one starts training their workforce to use Linux no one will ever use Linux; it really is just your own unwillingness at the end of the day. It's not like the applications available for Linux are all that much different from applications available for Windows, their interfaces are similar and would only take what, a week to be fully proficient with at most? They already understand the concepts necessary to use it, they just need to understand the interface.

Now obviously I'm not saying it's feasible for a large enterprise to switch over to Linux in a day, they have expectations to uphold; but they absolutely have the capabilities to train their workforce, as does any small business, not in a day, but in sequential steps. There's no reason you have to drop Windows and completely switch to Linux in a single day.

And yeah, for that particular period of training, the couple of weeks, you'd see a loss in productivity; but the benefits you'd gain would heavily outweigh it at the end of the day: never having to give Microshit another dime, not continuing to uphold their monopoly on business solutions, not having to deal with the complete clusterfuck that has become Windows 10.

>===
How's that cock, JSFag?

>implying JS is the only language that uses === as an operator
Wew lad

There aren't many languages that retarded so I am not familiar with any others.

it's not laziness or unwillingness it's just not practical. in an ideal world we'd all have competing OS's valuing efficiency and privacy but we don't, and most people even in the tech world can't even put a computer together much less install and maintain a linux machine. 99% of people shit bricks if they even open the command prompt. linux is and will always be a niche thing for people who have uses for it or find it a fun hobby.

Most weakly typed language have === as an operator.

MFW my main is Kali.
Joking aside, I like Kubuntu. It just looks good, has a decent repository, and serves me well.

Attached: hackerman.jpg (640x640, 146K)

>that retarded
>weakly typed
That's what I said

The days of having to open a terminal to administrate a Linux system are long gone, there are distributions that have had completely graphical interfaces available since the mid 00's, Mint and Ubuntu being a couple of notable ones. It's gotten to the point where they have become easier to maintain than Windows, and are far more stable, shitting the bed after an update far less often. No Linux distro has ever accidentally wiped a user's entire documents folder.

Windows continues to hold its monopoly simply because it has a monopoly, and because many administrators currently running systems today ignorantly still think (much like yourself) that you need to do everything from a command line on Linux; you don't, you haven't for the past decade.

For day to day use a GUI is fine, but to do Sysadmin stuff commandline stuff is the way to go, whether its bash or powershell. Gui admins are on their way out

I can see you are a programmer who does not understand the advantages of using the right tool for the right job, probably too young to understand that static typing is a crutch, not a benefit.

I say this because it is more efficient, and you get more done that way. Not to mention more and more job postings are requiring knowledge of Bash and/or powershell than there used to be. Its good knowledge to have if you work in IT

Most Windows sysadmins I know still do administrate with a GUI, unless it's a complex task, in which case a PowerShell script. Besides, I'm more referencing their thoughts on even implementing Linux for their users, not their actual administration of them.

>retarded
okay, retard

>right tool for the job
I look at programming as a hobby and a way of expression. Therefore, you use whatever you like. I do not base my choices on the Jewish tricks like (((society))) and (((job))) as I am not fond of them.

(You)

>languages that don't force you to deal with types and memory are bad

It depends on the context of their usage. C and Rust are great for low-level programming, where precise memory management is incredibly important. For high level programs, weakly typed languages like JavaScript work well, they allow programmers to be more productive by taking the load of memory management off of them. The right tool for the right job.

>Jewish tricks
Productivity is not a Jewish trick. I understand if you are a young hobbyist and are learning, that's fine, I'm sure in time you will eventually understand why using the right tool for the right job is important. You only have so much time in the world, think about how you use it wisely.

Productivity is a meme since creation has no time limitations. Working is just being a slave and sucking (((their))) cocks for some paper you use to fuel your greed. I understand that most people see society as the absolute reality since they've been brainwashed though.
>You only have so much time in the world
Life is infinite although maybe your next will be in another world.

what the fuck are you talking about?

Your philosophy lacks maturity and an appreciation for life. Even if you are reborn, that does not change the fact you still have a limited time in your current life to achieve your desires. Perhaps you do not have any ambitions of your own, but many people do, they are not slaves working for (((them))), but rather individuals working for themselves, that (((they))) prosper from it is only a by-product of an inherently hedonistic desire.

I am not a hedonist. I would rather take eudaimonia over just pleasure. Pleasure is pretty animalistic and should not be sought. If you were actually working for yourself, you wouldn't be thinking about "productivity" as that does not matter for a passionate creation. Passionate creation is with the purpose of satisfaction which is brought forth by the process, not the result. I appreciate life but not the physical world as it's limiting.

Eudaemonism is not at odds with hedonism, hedonistic desire among other things is just a driving force which leads many people to a Eudaemonic life. You can derive satisfaction from the process and also the result, the process of passionate creation is less fulfilling if the result cannot be reasonably achieved. The physical world may be limiting, but it is still there and can be appreciated and enjoyed; why choose to only appreciate one aspect of life and not all of it? The only thing that comes from that is a limitation of the self.

>Duck typing is good

>no linux distro has ever wiped a user's entire document folder
you didn't hear about manjaro doing exactly that? you're just being a linux cocksuck at this point, there have been plenty of catastrophic bugs that have happened in linux the same as windows. im not saying windows is better, but to say no distro has ever done that is absolutely absurd

>programming language wars

Attached: 1549790889023.gif (500x419, 239K)

No, I haven't, it is technically incredibly hard for the system to do that, as it should never touch anything inside $HOME and has zero need to.

Please enlighten me with a link, as I have queried a few search engines and found nothing.

Wont happen, because its a Winblows user lying to make themselves feel better. Unless someone was using the root account to operate their system, which is just as dumb as using the built-in administrator account on Windows, nothing the system does will ever fuck with their home folder.

there's an inforgraphic out there with a lot of shady and shitty things the manjaro devs have covered or dismissed through the github and shit but I didn't save it because it still use manjaro. fuck it delete my datas idgaf i just like it because of the aur and out of the box i3

I doubt any of those "shady" things have ever wound up deleting a user's documents folder, unless, again, they were using the root account.

I also really liked the way they had i3 set up when I tried Manjaro out.

So I copied their configurations and use them with Arch, worked out of the box, just had to install i3.

it had to do with an update. I just meant shady in that they're poettering levels of
>notabug
>won't fix
>thread locked
but i use it anyways

Again, I doubt any update has actually done that unless the user was using the root account. System updates on Linux should never touch the home folder, it's not like Windows where NT user data is literally stored IN the root of the user's folder.

Also even though Poettering thinks things are
>notabug
and
>wontfix
He still accepts patches that fix those bugs if he doesn't have to do the work himself.

>fbuihuu pushed a commit to fbuihuu/systemd that referenced this issue on Nov 29, 2017
>@keszybz
>core/load-fragment: refuse units with errors in certain directives

Ie. systemd no longer grants root access to users with a name beginning with a number. Pretty much everything else people complain about also had patches that were accepted.

Could you point to the software, dear user? :3

OHNONONONO
AHAHAHAHAHAH

>using ===
nice bait

>a businessman at a meeting can't use Ubuntu.
Can you imagine the horrors of supporting a sales guy trying to get a projector connected to a laptop running any distro?

That font rendering wasn't even acceptable in the 90s.

Sure, always willing to help someone out with production.

JACK2 for audio server (included in most distros)
qsampler + linuxsampler for sfz host
Ardour for DAW
cadence for patch bay and automatic alsa -> pulse -> jack bridge (need to configure first run)
kx.studio/Applications:Cadence

With these for orchestral banks:
github.com/sgossner/VSCO-2-CE (sfz variant)
virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/

For the the plugins, lv2-plugins and ladspa-plugins package collections in your distro, everything else might be available as well including cadence (I use Arch)

Here's my session templates and theme, extract templates folder and my-dark-ardour.colors to ~/.config/ardour5
put default.lscp in Music folder or something, doesn't matter where.

void.cat/#N2P736gM2bv63lkIw38xNXp16Ud:2e5f06e5ec47addd403758dc985cb2bb:4e7c3f8c404eb359da9eda33bb8be758

Open up default.lscp in qsampler to get the instruments set up
Start ardour after they're loaded to have them automatically connected to MIDI/audio inputs

Bitmap fonts are rendered perfectly, you must be talking about the font style itself, in which case idgaf, I use them because it's functional and looks better on my 1080p monitor than TTF fonts do.

Oh and make sure you actually select the "Default" session template when creating a new Ardour session, otherwise you won't have the MIDI/Audio tracks set up. Could do everything yourself if you want to learn the software, but I highly recommend getting a setup similar to mine for a lot of technical reasons (MIDI tracks with audio ports affect both MIDI velocity and audio levels with fader, that's why there's 16 separate MIDI and Audio tracks)

And Hydrogen for drum machine (also likely in distro repo)
hydrogen-music.org/
Uses algorithms based on the patterns of real drummers for humanization.

Also, JACK2 requires your user to be added to the "realtime" group, you then need to make sure it can actually get realtime permissions.

jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html

One last tiny thing:
exec cadence-session-start --system-start
In your .xinitrc or autostart scripts somewhere.

Probably going to make a guide now that I've pretty much but the base together.

I don't know if you are a believer or not, but God bless you :3
Thanks a lot!

>:3
Based and redpilled

You're welcome, have fun!