What's an interesting bit of mathematics that has you quite fascinated?

What's an interesting bit of mathematics that has you quite fascinated?

Attached: 1509994476552.jpg (640x480, 40K)

if indeed e=mc[Squared]
could we slow down energy and get it to convert to mass?
or would we need energy and somehow turn that into mass?

The fact that some infinities are larger than others. I'm far too brainlet to know if it is as all useful information but it is pretty interesting

Attached: 1486994543088.jpg (1096x806, 91K)

at all* also too brainlet to type

Attached: NDI51ev.png (1920x1080, 1.7M)

Yes it is useful
Let's say you have an infinite amount of one thing, and an infinite amount of another thing, and you find a useful connection between the two
If you know there are more of the first thing than the second, you can claim there exists a first thing that has no connection with anything else
So you can then start figuring out what makes that thing more special than the others of its kind

That's physics and the equation you've written only applies to an object's rest mass. Regardless, the process you're describing is possible but with a more rigorous definition of what constitutes "mass".
Group theory is gay.

it's not really group theory
just sort of a basic principle that happens all over
I used it in automaton theory just a few days ago

that you cannot compare imaginary numbers

take the magnitude of a complex number first and compare

Godel's Incompleteness Theorems are a classic. Basically the demonstration that there will always be problems our system of mathematics fundamentally cannot solve.
>pic unrelated

Attached: inter_universal_teichmuller_theory.png (1114x550, 88K)

While not necessarily mathematics, Occam’s razor always had me thinking of solution that could work better if they were complicated. I’ve yet to find one.

e^(π√-1)=-1

You've piqued my curiosity, care to elaborate?
>our
Doesn't it generalise to any possible axiomatic system of mathematics?

Iirc the sum of any product of 9 is equal to 9.
9×7=63-->6+3=9
2000×9=18000-->1+8=9
13264×9=119376,? I think there's a special way to sum this to get 9. I remember reading it in parade.

Math is hard

>119376,
3+6=9
7+1+1=9
lol

If you focused, you could do it. I suck at math, but still took calculus,de,matrix algebra, etc. in college. The material is just too dry for most. Especially the stuff actual mathematicians do.

>If you focused you could do it
That's why i'm studying

Cool. Keep at it, you'll make it.

Not really I'm tired and I'd have to fetch my books
Something ado with turing machines, and proving/disproving certain systems are decideable, undecideable and/or recursively enumerable

I hope so can't get my ged without practice

Attached: 3AE4DAA6-F956-4B72-8619-12F34A943414.jpg (1062x1500, 693K)

Or whatever I can just do layman's terms, just don't quote me too hard on this shit
A turing machine in the general sense is basically like a theoretical abstraction of a computer
And you can prove that certain problems exist for which you can't make a computer algorithm to solve them
Also the question is still out whether it's the human brain or the turing machine that's the better of the two
So then the question remains can those problems even be solved by humans

Got you loud and clear the first time around, thanks for taking the time to simplify it anyway.
>Also the question is still out whether it's the human brain or the turing machine that's the better of the two
Are we assuming both are abstractions or is it a genuine "human brain" being compared against an optimal turing machine?

Transfinite numbers. They deal with the concept of infinity and how some infinities are bigger than others.

Attached: 832px-Omega-exp-omega-labeled.svg.png (832x1024, 104K)

Yeah it's all purely theoretical, "optimal" turing machine doesn't make any sense, it either is one or it isn't. This isn't a question of feasability or how much computing time is needed or whatever, it's purely a question of possibility. Given a finite amount of time, even if that time is millions of years, which one of the two can solve a problem the other can't. Or can they both solve exactly the same problems (regardless of which one is faster).

So you'd have to do one of two things as far as I can tell, altho there may be much more to it beyond my current knowledge. Either you have to be able to make some kind of abstract model of the brain, prove it is a complete model, then prove it can do as much or more than a turing machine. Or alternatively, somehow be able to prove (theoretically, not experimentally) you can simulate a human brain on a turing machine, which would prove the machine is equal or better

not really a math thing but we've recently started quantum in uni and I was surprised how easy it is to understand
you can literally explain how quantum physics works to 10th graders, the only thing they miss is a bunch of math ballast
we're all being lied to by charlatan sensationalists like the neil deGrope tyson

The mandelbrot set

You can use Fibonacci numbers to calculate miles to km

2 plus 2 equals 4

Attached: 1533815681267.jpg (486x325, 34K)

Am I the smart boy or what

Gravity sort is a lovely algorithm.

Attached: a3a8cd01f411e703eb9b86ec1a8f45a5.jpg (850x681, 158K)

who is this goddess?

That x must have broken Algebras heart because he keeps asking me to find her XDXDDXDDDDD XD XD

edit: wow thanks for the gold guys omg

Everything in existence can be graphed out using coordinates, and predicted using equations. Granted, it would be nearly impossible, but I still find it interesting nonetheless.

big if true

the sum of every real number is -1/12

1 = 0.999...
Occam's Razor fails when the problem is to confuse people.

1/3 == .3333333
2/3 == .6666666
3/3 == 1

Pi contains the date of birth and exact time of death of every person that has ever existed or ever will exist, including you

0^0=1

Probability theory. If you have 69 friends (which you don't), there's a 99.9% chance that 2 people in the group of 70 share a birthday.

Fourier transformations and their applications are pretty cool.

Most rewarding math I've ever done. I loved my signal processing class, because the transforms are so fun and then once you do them you have so much more insight into the signal.

bow chicka bow wow

Cramer's rule for the inversion of matrixes, it's fascinating cause it ha a lot of steps, so you would ask yourself how did this guy get the idea for this, none of it is actually intuitive in any way, maybe it's just because i've been using it simce recently. And the other one would be more over to physics, electrostatics to be exact, the formula for the electrostatic field of a charged infinite plane E=(greek letter sigma) /2x(greek letter epsilon with the index 0)

euler's number in general
it's derivative is itself, how cool is that
and the pronunciation is cool as well

Do you say Oiler or You-ler?

I'm only MechE so I don't do too much with it but the short time I had to use it was fun. The mass amounts of applications really had me going though.

Greenwaldian Theorem.

Triangles

Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Pythagorean Theorem, that is if I understand mathematics.

repent before explode liquid

Attached: dfer.jpg (273x185, 13K)