HASKELL BTFO

Imagine actually using Haskell for any real world project. LMAO

thenewstack.io/which-programming-languages-use-the-least-electricity

Attached: 1200px-Haskell-Logo.svg.png (1200x847, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry
youtube.com/watch?v=hxFk6M83nu0
population.un.org/wpp/Graphs/DemographicProfiles/
thenewstack.io/which-programming-languages-use-the-least-electricity
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Scala master race reporting here

Why the fuck would someone care about electricity in programming?
The programmer is not paying for it; or is this """study""" sponsored by rich people in order to do an industry standard so they can save more money than they already have?

Rust wins again!

How does the TypeScript measurement even work?

>that code has good asymptotics and it's maintainable and easy on programmer time too. But how much electricity does it use?
Said nobody ever

(what)(a(((((surprise))))))

>believing that with 8gb i should give the slightest fuck of how much memory/electricity my editor is using let alone a fucking programming language

Attached: op.jpg (500x503, 38K)

Battery, your phone, a remote sensor, or rover only has so much power why waste it with inefficiencies. Data centers, save one penny a hour across 100k servers is a lot of money to save.
This doesn't mean the conclusion of the article or the study they referenced is meaningful or accurate in any way.

Man you are ignant, get the fuck out of this thread bitch

>8gb
Is this 2008 again?

I think the results/conclusions are inaccurate.
>This doesn't mean the conclusion of the article or the study they referenced is meaningful or accurate in any way.
The referenced in the article and study using a Intel tool that measures only the processor in the way Intel wants you to view it. Plus these are micro benchmarks which I think are mostly useless in real world scenarios.

>Imagine actually using Haskell for any real world project.
I can't because I don't know a single person who does.
The only people who use Haskell for anything are bitter NEETs on /dpt/ who try to mask their insecurities and shortcomings by acting superior over a language that nobody uses.

/thread holy fuck

Nice conspiracy Jow Forumsentooman

wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry

>being this bitter because you can't into monads

>The only people who use Haskell for anything are bitter NEETs on /dpt/
I wish that were true. It's a mediocre language (for reasons other than PFP) with a catastrophically shitty toolchain, but webdev hipsters somehow memed it into niche relevance.

youtube.com/watch?v=hxFk6M83nu0

Attached: 1520799669835.png (1172x965, 680K)

Attached: haskell-programmer.jpg (824x2048, 124K)

what is the best non-meme answer then? what is a functional/very different language (for broadening your understanding as a programmer) that is not Haskell? some kind of lisp?

Haskellers spend less time programming since the solution is always more concise and easily debuggable.

Thus they have a way smaller energy footprint

lisp is outdated my man, you won't find any new type theory there

If you want something even further along than Haskell, look into Idris. Idris is dependently typed and we are slowly moving towards it. Haskell has been doing preparations for it, but it is a ways away.

nigga you can pretty much do anything except maybe 4k video editing with 8gb
>b-but you can get a 10% performance boost if you had 16gb, costing only 200$!!

>Haskellers spend less time programming
Yes, which is why their killer apps are a command line utility to convert pdfs and an unreliable DVCS.
They spend their time on more important things, like writing snarky HN posts.

destroyed

My problem with Idris is that I am a relative beginner to programming, so I need a wealth of books and learning resources to get started. Haskell seems a lot more approachable in that respect. Really though, I'm just looking for an interesting and fun new programming paradigm to explore.

Haskell uses the least electricity of all, by far, since no one actually uses Haskell for anything.

poorfag

kys boomer
Some people actually care about the planet.

yeah, we're running out of electricity fast, by 2030 60% of all electricity mines the exist today will be depleted

>Some people actually care about the planet.
Do you care about this too, or only the things the (((media))) tells you it's OK to worry about?

Attached: un-population-predictions.png (1015x708, 89K)

I do care a lot about global shitholes, and spend a great time complaining about India, Saudi Arabia, Israel and it's ilk.

Attached: 1504449827849.png (724x408, 37K)

Shitfuck, he looks smarter and bigger than me facewise and bodywise respectively.
Yet he is a passive homo.

For now on I will not judge how smart one is based on his face and height.
user, I don't know where you live but most civilized countries are getting better ways to get green energy.
By the way I'm the guy you're replying.

Electricity friendly computers could go a long way in today's world and not only for green reasons (though this is the issue at hand in my opinion.) Longer battery life for mobiles, like the article mentioned, and cooler temperatures is something to keep in mind.
I think this innovation could also go beyond hardware and address needless software complexity as well. On the matter, I feel green computing lines up with Stallman's ideals, however purist and unachievable they may be.

Attached: 1492321835920.jpg (1024x1372, 203K)

It is not about the language, you know. It is about a correctly optimized compiler.

This graph makes the assumption that those countries will always be poor, which makes it dishonest.

No worries. I've been working as a developer for 12+ years in a wide range of projects and I've never come across any Haskell code in the wild.

Is it even used outside of academia at all ?

Haskell is the non-meme answer.

So not using C is literally a crime against humanity?

He's not a Haskell programmer

Actually, compiling Rust takes such an enormous amount of time, that any savings at runtime are dwarfed by the energy required to compile it.

Fuck yes, JRuby ftw

This is a UN projection you fucking retard. It's based on a lot of data including projections for the development of Africa.

most people project the world population to peak at 11 billion
but of course I'm sure your crudely drawn graph with "official UN data" pasted over the top is more credible

It's UN data dumbass I recognize a UN pop projection when I see one even if it's not a UN rendered graph.
population.un.org/wpp/Graphs/DemographicProfiles/

>thenewstack.io/which-programming-languages-use-the-least-electricity

No Smalltalk-80¿
I guess it is still an insider programming language.

Attached: Smalltalk80book.jpg (182x240, 16K)

damn, pascal is based

Lisp isn't outdated! It's still used plenty in the industry

What do people use Smalltalk for in the real world?

Many things that are outdated are still used in the industry simply because legacy and "it just werksed before and why should we switch to something that maybe doesn't just werks".
It's no reason that something just shouldn't die.

>the real world
As opposed to the ``fake world''?

What applications are produced with Smalltalk is what I meant, you pedant. I'm asking because I've heard about it for years and it seems interesting, but I want to get a grasp on what people use it for

I have yet to see another language with the homomorphism of lisp, but if you have any suggestions for things to check out I'd be interested

I have no clue about lisp.
I was just commenting on industry things and outdated.

Oh I see. That's a fair point as a general statement - I just think lisp happens to do some things that make it different

This. Literally the most moronic thing I've ever seen.

It also completely glosses over the externalities of compiler "energy use" or the cost to actually test, develop, debug and maintain energy costs as well.

>homomorphism of lisp
What did he mean by this?

>you won't find any new type theory there
You won't find any in Haskell or Idris either.

Ah yes but you can't waste electricity if no one is running code in your language.

Apologies. I meant homoiconicity. I think I've been staring at my math texts too long

imagine actually giving a shit about electricity usage unless you're making a phone app. what are you some envitronmentalist?

I just can't give a fuck about muh environment so I'll just stick to Haskell when I don't need the raw speed of C++