H.265 HEVC

How the fuck do they do it? it reduces filesize by so much more over h.264 without noticable decrease in quality

Attached: 1535420931127.png (1000x400, 453K)

Compression. Duh.

Better math skills than yours, so you would not understand.

Apparently the 'DSP is stupid and useless' thread tells you how.

What's the difference between h.265 10 and 12 bit?

Maths. But that isn't important for IT cause some shit javascript "programmer" on Jow Forums told me so.

Two whole bits, doh.

he's asking HOW h265 compression works so much better than h264

>it reduces filesize by so much more over h.264 without noticable decrease in quality
Eh honestly the reduction in size without quality loss isn't that big of a drop. Plus I'm not a fan of the motion blur kind of look it gives the footage when retarded encoders bitrate starve it because they think it's impossible magic.

>Eh honestly the reduction in size without quality loss isn't that big of a drop.
you've been doing it wrong

The only time it reduces filesize over h264 by a good margin is with very bitstarved encodes or 4k+, for quality 720-1080p encodes h264 and HEVC are neck to neck in filesize, but h264 is much faster to encode and has much wider support.

No you are accepting quality loss because it's the new hotness. From my tests on 1080 I was only able to get around 30-40% more efficient encodes without sacrificing some fidelity. Maybe it's more efficient on 4k but I don't have any interest in downloading a raw 4k rip just to test when all I watch is 1080p. People do say it's more efficient at starved levels but that's entirely pointless because I won't watch smeary h265 shit just as much as I won't watch blurry h264 shit. And before you accuse me, I don't transcode shit. Everything I encode is from a high quality source.

265 uses ASIC-tuned algorithms to achieve better compression efficiency.

I've seen 1080p HEVC Blu Ray Rips that are right at or right under 1GB and they look fucking good. I think the bitrate is like 1000 kbps. h264 is twice as big filesize for the same quality it's crazy

>1080p bluray rips
>under 1GB
user why do you hate yourself so much?

Wright in a benis

Can we get some screenshots mr. "it's the same quality"?

I have a 100 Mbps download speed but my American ISP limits customers to 300 GB per month lmao, so yeah these 1GB movies are perfect for muh bandwidth.

I think downloading a movie that's 10, 15, 20+ GB is fucking stupid but then again I don't have a 4k display

>my American ISP limits customers to 300 GB per month
Well fuck that is a valid reason to download 1GB rips. But seriously even on 1080p you see a very clear quality increase. Even more noticeable with 4k rips.

Math

>limits customers to 300 GB per month
I thought comcast was bad holy shit. I have a 1TB per month cap. I've never gone over but if I do they start charging more.

Here's Doctor Strange. 1080p HEVC. The bitrate is 1034 kbps and the file size is 850 MB.

I think it looks pretty good for what it is

Attached: mpv-shot0001.jpg (1920x808, 177K)

Yeah it's awful. I don't know how they get away with it considering how digital everything is now. Hopefully content companies can pool their resources and lobby (i.e. bribe) the FCC more effectively than the the ISPs in the future

I also am on a bandwidth cap but still try to find at least halfway decent sized rips
>mfw I'm perfectly fine watching subpar video quality movies
>can't stand shit audio though
>everyone that encodes efficiently sized movies goes fucking ham with like 200kb/s AAC for 5.1 or they downmix it to stereo but then encode at ~60kbs for 2.0 AAC
>They don't even use OPUS when encoding audio with such low bitrates
Fuck those brainlets I swear they are the scum of the Earth

Attached: 1518742087932.jpg (641x641, 73K)

screenshots are one thing but most encodes I can tell h.265 versus 264 during playback. maybe its because I'm getting them from iptorrents but still

same

The lowest I bear to go and my general rule of thumb if I can't find a better rip is ~1 GB per 1 hour for video only. Then a little more for audio. For a ~2 hour movie I'd expect ~2.3 GB at the very lowest.

Post an action scene, something with motion. Most codecs will look okay on a still closeup with dof.

what's the most compressible video format so far? vp9? I've no idea what's hot now.

that's a pretty good rule desu

In cartoons/anime, the file size difference is HUGE.

You can fit an entire 30 minute episode of anime/cartoon in under 100 MB @ 720p with comparable quality to that of 200 MB h264 videos. H264 @ 100 MB has trash quality in comparison.

Take my virginity and show boobs sticc

It's more retard proof at bad quality settings. That's about it.

>You can fit an entire 30 minute episode of anime/cartoon in under 100 MB @ 720p with comparable quality to that of 200 MB h264 videos. H264 @ 100 MB has trash quality in comparison.
Not that user but that's assuming it's digitally animated and or dnr'd to hell. I've never seen sub 100 per episode hvec or sub 200 mb h264 and I don't think I'd want to but I have watched some that were hvec and around 400 per episode that were pretty decent.

>tfw unlimited bandwidth and 4k 10bit display
feels good man, i only wish i had gig speed downloads

>.jpg

40% file reduction. Even that it looks smoothed out.

>high quality source
I hope you mean bdmv.

Most normalfag movie rips I find use DTS. Awful bloat. I wish Opus was more widely used.

I agree that they should use OPUS more if they are going to fuck with the audio but I'd prefer they keep the original audio tracks. It really isn't that much bloat ~200 extra mb max and it's worth it for people who have good sound systems. Too bad we're fucked and catering to normies is catering to people who wanna watch their movies on their macbooks with their macbook speakers.

AV1 shits on them both. Shame about the encoding speed right now, but it's getting there.

Less banding artifacts.

>Looking at mediainfo for something I wanna watch
Audio
ID : 3
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
Format settings : Explicit
Codec ID : A_AAC-2
Duration : 1 h 31 min
Bit rate : 186 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels

>Bit rate : 186 kb/s
>Channel(s) : 6 channels
>mfw

Attached: 1514729099388.jpg (400x400, 29K)

I have plenty of old 200 MB h264 anime in 480p and they have pretty shit quality(in comparison to today's standards). There are plenty of 720/1080p HEVC anime under 200 MB that just shits on those quality on nyaa.

Yeah but that's kinda a given when comparing 480p anime encodes to 720p/1080p anime encodes.

meh, I got use to cams, literally anything that is properly sourced looks better than cam regardless of file size.

I don't get it.