/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: thinkwaffle.jpg (800x800, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

x230 best budget laptop

based

Just got my x230t today, $70 shipped for 16gb RAM and an i5

T60 Best laptop, budget or no

I'm looking for a 13-15" laptop that I can play cities:skylines on. I have a 750M ultrabay card that I think might work with a Thinkpad left over from a y510 but I'm leaning towards one of those new 15" razers. Opinions?

x230+x220 jp keyboard+16gb ddr3l 2133mhz ram+13.3" fhd mod+1tb ssd+coreboot best ̶b̶u̶d̶g̶e̶t̶ laptop

the x200 is the best computer made PERIOD

I originally got my x220 when it was first released in '11, and now it's close to eight years old.

I made one fan change four years ago and also have switched to a SSD. What else should I be doing to make this thing run like new? I already need a new headphone jack and I've decided I'm going to spend my tax refund on new parts.

>$70
damn
that's a hell of a deal
where?

also an i7 3612QE quadcore rework if you shit money.

Got my ultranav today. Its AZERTY, so I have to learn to type blindly.
I got my x230t with an i7-3520m for $70, lol.

Attached: IMG_20190329_214204.png (1829x1043, 1.76M)

thinking about upgrading from my t420 to a t540. I really want a better screen resolution & size after being spoiled by my surface book 2. any suggestions on what to do with my t420 after I upgrade?

>inb4 you actually bought a surface
yes I enjoy something that you don't

The surface pro is a good machine, just not something that suits my purposes.

T430 I7 3520M. recently installed the classic 7 row keyboard and ordered the heatsink with the extra copper for the dedicated gpu (that doesnt exist on mine). heatsink came and the fan connector was different than original. ended up swapping OE fan into new heatsink copper. screw patterns were different but i managed to bend a copper tab over a part of one of the screw holes in the fan and used the thermal tape to keep it secure to the fins. replaced thermal paste and i idle in the low 30's.

having trouble figuring out how to get these Fn keys to work. instructions for flashing firmware or whatever needs to be done on windows 7? its probably really easy and im just retarded

Anyone have an opinion about this? I have a T450 I've been really satisfied with, but I'd like something with a bit more graphics power.

Attached: 1507599532700.jpg (800x800, 269K)

any w series thinkpad

Thanks user, how does the Quadro do with gaymen?

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
here user.

Is there a Thinkpad I can use this in?

Attached: x5_585479448msg.jpg (528x396, 47K)

wasnt that thing for a lenovo gayming laptop? i doubt a thinkpad would be compatible with that thing.

Don't think so, pretty much every thinkpad ultrabay just has connections for SATA and power.

I think that is only for the Y500 and Y510 Ideapads

It was an ultrabay addon for a y510. I assumed that it would be cross compatible with at least a few other ultrabay laptops. I chose that card over extra storage when I bought my old ideapad.

I'm looking at the w530 right now, seems pretty good. My old ideapad is dying a painful death. Got a good 6 years out of it.

maxed out w530(quadcore i7 and 32gb ram) is still a beast but still pricy. also you can mod it with classic keyboard, its really easy.

Looks like refurbished it's around $500. Is it going to be comparable to what my y510 with a 750m was brand new?

what cpus on both? comparable for which use?

My y510p has an i7-4700MQ with two 750ms. I'm basically looking for something smaller that travels better. Looking more in to it the W5xx Thinkpads are about the same size.

I'm basically looking for something that runs GTA V at 60fps at medium settings in 1080p at in a slim 5lb or less form factor. That's why I was looking at the razers.

if you want a gaming laptop look elsewhere.

I don't want a gaming laptop. I want something like my T450 that can run a game if I'm in the mood but is about as portable.

do these machines go jumbo jet taking off mode at all?

Latest thinkpad with SD card slot?

w530 is in no way portable and i really doubt you can have 60fps at 1080p in gtav.
thinkpads are't build to run games.
newer ones have better screens and some have gpus but its gonna cost a lot, and if you ask me its not going to be a thinkpad anymore.

what happened to headphone jack?

My X230 gets pretty toasty and fucking loud. Gonna replace thermal paste next week to see if that gets me somewhere. I'm sure as hell not using that thing in bed until then. Falling asleep with this in my lap is probably worse than falling asleep with a lit cigarette.

R8

Attached: 1553907188342.jpg (4048x3036, 2.11M)

i7 yes, for a very little performance over the less hot i5.

based/10

Thanks. I suppose I'll look more in to slim 15" laptops with dedicated video cards.

don't cover the vent's falling asleep you'll be fine fuck doing a thermal paste job... waste of time, thanks

god damn it, thanks

looks more like I need a chromebook c201 kind of device but with it's shit screen and RAM I don't know what to get

Using an X140e, without the AMD graphics driver on Windows I get 64Hz selectable but with the latest 19.3.3 driver I'm locked to 50Hz without anyway to change it. What's odd is that on Ubuntu I have a 60Hz screen, what do I believe?

I never cover the vents. in bed I usually keep it on a plastic tray
still, just playing a 480p youtube video will get this thing so hot the mattress underneath becomes worryingly warm as well

Nice.

ah I see you have a mattress warmer and a laptop in 1, sweet

So I offered someone locally $200 for a really good conditioned W540 that has an i7vpro processor (whatever that is), 16gb memory and a 500gb hard drive. The problem is I do not know if this model has the 2880 x 1620 or 1920x1080 display. I'm a web developer and was hoping for a window machine to play around with. I have a work-issued Macbook Pro 2017 that is maxed out so I'm not expecting this w540 to beat my Macbook in terms of screen quality but I have had a T430 in the past and upgraded the screen to an HD 1600x900 one and it was still not good enough for me to use and I pretty much gave it away. (I really don't know how some of you tolerate the screens on some of those older Thinkpads)

Also isn't this suppose to have a decent battery life as well?

pic related is the laptop itself

Attached: d.jpg (600x800, 52K)

Not that user, but which thinkpads have the better screens?

Some time ago an user posted how to make a thinkpad harder to locate and track online.
Does anyone know? [spoiler]no avast premium jokes please i beg you[/spoiler]

my fucking thinkpad bit me

how user

don't bite it back

Thinkpads don't bite unless provoked by installing non-free software or hardware.

What software is recommended to use for undervolt x230 ivy i7 3520M in linux?

Attached: f5b9d7e75b43f6165c2c245c7869df78-1122-812&sp=81ea342cb8a23d44d70f88a4dd57b180.jpg (1122x812, 164K)

I'm pretty certain you can't undervolt anything older than Haswell.

vim

I'm retarded, I went ahead and swapped keys around to get it in a QWERTY layout lol. The ultranav feels build for GNU/Linux userspace navigation and I really like it.

desolder the VRM.

Is a nearly maxed out elitebook 840 g3 worth $475? It has QHD, 6600u, 16gb RAM, 256gb nvme.

I was putting the ultrabay battery back in by slamming it in, a part of my thumb was over the edge of the battery and got sandwiched between the bay and the frame

>when you're in poland 1939 and the jews are hiding in the dark with you from the gestapo and you turn on your thinkpad™ thinklight™
thanks thinkpad

w series and any t series 450 or further. and obviously the x1's if you really want a diet coke macbook

Im very impressed with my 900p t420 screen, I don't think the IPS upgrade is necessary for myself desu

Is ddr3l so-dimm just going to get pricier or will it come down some day? Wondering if I should upgrade my ram now or just wait

Attached: kingston_hyperx_impact_so_dimm_3.jpg&sp=a9e83912cd7c48c6d2774d78d613cd7d.jpg (2217x1194, 415K)

pals i recently got a T540P and it has a small white/bright spot on the screen. it's not too bad, and definitely usable, but should I replace the screen anyway? I know some of the thinkpads have shitty screens, and people replace them even if they're not damaged.

otherwise i'm pretty happy with my buy, got it for about $250 from ebay. it's in great shape other than the bright spot. i74600m, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. did I do good? please respond friends

Should I get a t440 or save a few shekles and get the t430? I just want it for web browsing, media, college paper kinda stuff. Being able to play league would be rad, but the p models are rare and 'spensive.

Attached: throne.jpg (640x853, 117K)

best panel for t420?

Whats more ram

Whats USB 3.0

Does anyone have an X250 or higher and have experience using the internal battery with Linux? These models have an internal 3-cell batt and an external 3 or 6 cell battery. Windows seems to handle it fine with the Lenovo software installed but I haven't used one with Linux.

I am wondering if it is worth buying a 3-cell to install in my X250 or will Linux shit the bed trying to manage 2 batteries?

Attached: lenovo-thinkpad-x250-11.jpg (1920x1277, 1.64M)

>got 4 x220 keyboards over the course of two years
>got everything from clackety hard to silent and smooth keys
>got everything from silent and unresponsive trackpoint buttons to precise and crisp ones

How many different key designs did they make? Jesus

Attached: 4d8a71a7acb21.jpg (2560x2048, 223K)

I hate the middle trackpoint button on my x230, if you lift it even ever so slighlty it doesn't register even though the button is techically pressed down. Fixes?

I'm going to a 2 week trip to germany
For the first time i will have nothing but an
x230 and linux
Wish me luck Jow Forumspillers

how hard it is to flash coreboot to a T420? Any good video tutorials?

no luck needed.

Just a shame that the screen is a bit shite, it has the worse panel of the ones available for x230, and anime finales are gonna be airing this week
Might watch them on my homebrewed nintendo switch instead

Attached: froggy.png (804x566, 27K)

What price is reasonable for a t440s/t450s i5 fhd in germany?

T430 CPU and GPU is stronger than T440. Also can use T420 keyboard with a mod. T430 is also socketed so you can upgrade CPU to quad core.

Prices here are absurd no matter what. Wait an additional year

Ohayou /tpg/

Attached: IMG_20190330_094409_compress_54.jpg (2328x1746, 2.74M)

Do you have any experience with screen replacement? I have a T450 with a 1600x900 TN panel and I'm considering upgrading to a 1080p IPS but I'm concerned about the BIOS whitelist and screen brightness issue which occurs when the panel has non-whitelisted EDID.
Could someone give me some advice what to look out for and if it's worth to upgrade?

We are reaching peak comfy levels here.

>tfw I rediscovered my love for the T510.

uwu nice desu

Attached: 1551534709486.png (370x320, 30K)

Honestly, whats so bad about the E Series

pic related

Attached: e470.jpg (1600x1200, 262K)

>X230 is making a horrible whining noise
>track it down to the connector area at the bottom of the screen (disassemble laptop and realize it's not fan or coil whine)
>screen may have been on the fritz anyway, had a few hotspots and scratches and sometimes had odd horizontal flickering (backlight only, possibly)
>order new screen, chinks come through and it's a proper matte IPS to replace the same model
>works alright at first but flicker and whine starts up again
Alright, what do I look into next? Screen ribbon cable? Something software wise?

I need a new battery for my x230t. Any recs for a source, or experience with ebay sellers?

awo, I wish I had any idea on how to make it even more comfy.

kys degenerate

maybe put a non tn panel in there

no u

That looks so bad.

First to post x210

Attached: _DSC9361~01.jpg (1920x915, 213K)

Internal batteries? My T440s has an internal battery very similar to your x250 in most respects.

Debian Sid seems to handle it fine. GNU/Linux on your x250 might make your dick catch fire. Idk, Good luck.

Attached: C3P0.png (738x672, 387K)

The white dot on my power button is off center and it's driving me insane.

Attached: 1553945013732.jpg (4032x3024, 933K)

take a sharpie and color it in

bold move.

if it's an ABS keycap/button, in certain conditions it can have its color changed, and have it all black. Check the mechanical keyboard subreddit.

Not entirely sure about PBT, but maybe that's possible too.

I need a new 9 cell battery for my T430. Cost is not a problem, I've seen that they sell original Lenovo batteries on various EU Amazon stores but I wonder how old they are and if they can hold at least 90% of the original capacity. Do you have any recommendations on what batteries to buy? I'm fine with getting chink batteries if they last as long as the original ones. The part number is 0A36303

Need 2 in-one thinkpad for University. Is 390 worth the $1000? Or should I cash out for 1500? Would love to be future proof even for a bit

I found this one: € 44,46 s dot click dot aliexpress dot com slash e slash ckXFTUCg

Reviews are decent while on the Italian Amazon some customers said that the battery had ~90% of the charge capacity left, and it costs double than this battery. Should I get the one from China? Can reviews on AliExpress be false and made by some chink?

after a bit of research, i ordered a KingSener-brand 9cell for my T430 - seems to be a pretty reputable manufacturer in korea.

But after mentioning it on /csg/ i got told it won't work because of the bios blacklist on xx30 and newer thinkpads - but a bit of googling tells that the newest bioses support even non-OEM batteries. We'll have to see after i get it.

Whatever the case, it's really easy to add a whitelist bios patch to an official lenovo bios image, so i think it'll be okay nevertheless.

I heard ThinkPad was the way to go for high Linux compatibility.
My main criteria here is the screen: is there something that competes with Mac screens in the ThinkPad realm ?
Not even an Applel fanboy, it's just that their screens seems so easy on the eyes. Other IPS don't look the same so I don't think it's a panel problem, or is it ?

Attached: 34088_469913099895_616599895_6466054_6469726_n.jpg (506x600, 44K)

There's no reason to get anything newer than a T460 if you want a recent CPU, later models all have Skylake refreshes. If you want to buy a new ThinkPad get an A485, you won't have all the hardware vulnerabilities of Intel processors. If you don't want to be part of the botnet get a T430, disable Intel ME and coreboot it.