2-in-1s

Are 2-in-1s just a meme? I guess it all hinges on the hinge, huh?

Would you rather have a separate laptop and tablet?

Attached: yoga c930.jpg (800x533, 160K)

Id rather a laptop, no tablet but im a luddite

generally for most applications (student, teacher, graphical developer and programmer, etc) a 2-1 is very convenient.
Ideally it would be done by digital pencil only though, since finger-touch screens ARE a meme.

all the disadvantages of a laptop combined with all the disadvantages of a tablet.

second for "just laptop, no tablet"

I have one myself (HP Elite x2), you sacrifice ports, gpu, a decent keyboard, some repairability (mine has soldered RAM), overheats like a motherfucker, and screensize. Probably more but thats all I can think of now.

With that said, it still fits my needs (wish the keyboard was better though). I needed something snappy and small as I'm rarely home and I mostly use it for work. If you're into drawing as well its pretty neat and gaming isn't bad but obviously not the best. Otherwise, if your laptop is going to be your main pc (gaming, work, etc), then avoid 2-in-1s completely.

Honestly, just buy a good laptop and a cheap tablet and you're set.

It's to impress your friends desu.
Like, just to make them go "look, user has a laptop that folds!".

I had the Acer Aspire R a few years back. Was actually very useful in class. Could lay it down with a pdf of lecture notes open and scroll through it, without sticking up and distracting from what was happening in class. Was good until the display cable got worn out by too many flips and the screen went bonkers. Maybe they've improved that part of the tech by now?

Actually was surprised with how out of the box it was with Linux. Keyboard and touchpad turned of as expected when in tablet mode.

Great for notes I guess. Got a free Envy x360 15". Kinda too big to be a tablet but folding it back to write on the screen is nice and so is having everything on one single device. Still have a separate tablet though.

It has its uses. Not many but there are some.

what about the surface pro, are they decent?

It's not a true 2 in 1 if the keyboard doesn't disattach from the display. The displays that just flip behind the keyboard are fucking gay, and shit design. Laptops are gay too.

I was thinking about buying a tablet for a while now however work threw threw this out since the warranty expired. I use it to read manga so far. Haven't really found another use for it yet.

Attached: inspiron13.jpg (1920x1280, 763K)

i'm thinking about getting the thinkpad yoga 490
do you think its worth 1000€ (1120$)?

The Surface Pro 6 is by far the tablet/laptop hybrid that pulls it off the best. Weights about 800 grams with the keyboard cover and tablet combined, despite the cover being thin it has actual key travel and is really nice to type on.

I have a surface book 2 but while it is nice it weights twice as much as the SP6, the keyboard detaches with a button press and doesn't flip up and down as effortlessly as the typecover (obviously sicne one is designed to be a cover and the other one a keyboard base with batteries, a GPU attached with a hinge system)
Not nearly as mobile and weightless as the SP6, kinda regret this thing

>work threw threw this out
>inspiron
>Not Latitude or minimum Vostro
Yeah believable.

Free is free my man. Its current use as a manga reader is probably as far as it'll ever go.

I'm not talking about it being free, I am questioning why your workplace is using Inspiron laptops

Pretty sure it was from an acquisition. Our machines are all Thinkpads or Thinkcenters.

To be honest? I would rather have a decent NORMAL laptop with a decent power and decent battery life and have a cheapest Android tablet and use a capacitive pen to annotate.

If you need pen you can use a pen tablet.

While detachable and convertible are honestly pretty based, sometimes their hardware can't do proper Linux (running Manjaro) nor is a proper ARM Android (looking at you, React Native. Context: apps build with React Native that doesn't include native x86 or x86_64 will crash while using libhoudini), nor Android-x86 is polished enough.
Also the 2-in-1 tax is pretty steep.

Maybe next time I'll get a old ProBook to run hackintosh.
t. Surface Pro 3 and Eve V user.

>Honestly, just buy a good laptop and a cheap tablet and you're set.

I think this is the way to go.

>£1400 oh no no no
actually sp6 is about that when you include the keyboard and pen

>just buy a good laptop and a cheap tablet and you're set.
so now that's 2 things to carry around, plus phone etc. the whole idea is to have everything in one.
also, show me a cheap but good tablet

when do we get

If you're in a budget, it's pretty plausible since the form factor tax is pretty high desu.

If you're asking to lighten your load sure get a 2-in-1. Pretty crazy how light your load becomes.

A 13" 2in1, 9" tablet, and 5" phone. Its what I have now. Tablet are good because they are light but a bigger screen, its the perfect size for youtube, funposting, and reading.

which ones of each do you use?

For the price of a shitty 2 in 1 you can buy an IPad and a decent laptop.

So yes, they're a meme.

if i would ever be force to buy a laptop newer than xx30 thinkpad series which are the last that can take xx20 series keyboards i would buy one of these to use in that exact position in your pic with an hhkb or similar and a trackball.
fuck modern laptop.