/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1484348845011.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamersnexus.net/guides/3443-apex-legends-gpu-benchmark-1080p-1440p-4k
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=w6vK8d
pcpartpicker.com/product/PmyFf7/acer-monitor-umfg6aab01
nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/gJQ3J8
ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Crucial-MX500-250GB-vs-Crucial-MX300-275GB/3951vs3642
youtu.be/V4Jsd0VuD4c
pcpartpicker.com/list/RRXdRJ
youtube.com/watch?v=t2nFpUeB9eM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thanks for not using an antagonistic OP image

Quick question, can I install a 2.5 HDD in a bay designed for an SSD?
try to move it from my laptop to my desktop, and sell the laptop later

Depends. A lot of SSDs are 1.8 inch but there are 2.5 inch SSDs. If you have a bay for that it should probably fit.

Ok so I am pretty retarded and want an upgrade from my
>alienware
desktop. If I were to look at getting the 100+ fps computer from the pcbg link, would I need to purchase anything more or would those parts be sufficient to build with?

is buying used motherboards on ebay too big of a risk for board sockets no longer being manufactured?

can you suggest a good cheap b450m board? is the asrock b450m hdv good enough?

What do you want in a mobo?

Normal risk of buying used hardware, considering mobos are one of the components most likely to die. If your mobo died, a better option is often to sell the chip (and your RAM) and buy a new platform.

Post speccy, maybe you can just upgrade your current PC

just the basics but 4 ram slots would be nice. i just need something reliable like the asrock b350m pro 4 (unfortunately, the store i'm going to buy at doesn't sell it anymore). i don't mind overclocking atm, but a board which isn't very picky w/ the ram would be nice.

is cl14 really that big of a difference over cl16 other then $150 on a 2700x system

>is cl14 really that big of a difference over cl16 other then $150 on a 2700x system

Attached: Elaborate 1.jpg (1689x2213, 843K)

i really want to like ryzen because of its price and core count but it just keeps getting BTFO

Intel 660p vs Samsung 970 pro

Which is better?

here is the image that shows the benchmark itself

Attached: In case of AMD shill 3.jpg (1696x3480, 1.12M)

The pro, obviously
I think it's the difference between MLC and QLC

Define BTFO
I've mentioned it a thousand times--no one is arguing that Intel is better, but how much are you willing to pay that difference.

about the same as a decent 2700x apparently, cl14 ram is $300 compared to $200 16cl at 3200, not today satan

Have this on the house, a small snippet of typical lies pushed here. As damage control is bound in any minute.

Attached: in case of AMD shills 10.jpg (3336x1896, 1.07M)

>cl14 ram is $300 compared to $200 16cl at 3200, not today satan
Prices differ in different regions though. So people should check what is better for them.

Is GeForce RTX 2080 8GB a overkill? I've never really had a up to date gaming PC, but recently i've managed to save a bit of money, and probably by next month I will have saved around 1500 bucks, which i plan on investing all on buying a PC.

I want to play stuff like, pubg, FFXIV, Apex, Sekiro, Divinity OS2, and not have to drop significant amounts money on new parts through the next 4 years at least.

>in case of AMD shills 10
>10
I hope you get paid to do this autistic shit pajeet

Attached: intel gets btfo again.png (1800x850, 225K)

>samshit amdrone lying about intels performance once again
Intels ssds are better

Congratulations, you just made me check

Yes, it is the difference between MLC and QLC. If you can't look up the difference between the two yourself, you don't belong on this board.

Not my fault AMD shills wont leave. They keep lying and bullshiting people and the image collection keeps piling up.

ok just created some with lists on pc case gear, 9700k/8700k both with ASUS Prime Z390-P Motherboards and team 3200,16cl 16gb and a ryzen 2700x with a msi gaming plus 470x with trident 3200,14cl,16gb
Intel 9700K $1,127
Intel 8700k $1,047
Ryzen 2700x $1,027
seems to me i would be better off going with the 9700k since its just $100 above the ryzen?

I think my 2070 is faulty but I'm too lazy to send it back

just got my sapphire nitro+ vega 64 today. Undervolted/overclocked already and running ~110-120fps on average in Apex. Loving this card

Why would you even ask here? Just look at benchmarks instead of the cherrypicked shit posted here.

gamersnexus.net/guides/3443-apex-legends-gpu-benchmark-1080p-1440p-4k

Attached: apex-legends-multiplayer-benchmark_1080p.png (865x779, 52K)

What about march?

it seems all benchmarks are cherry picked, its hard to just find an honest answer, it basically costs the same either direction, just dont want to get the parts home put it together and then bang my head against the table wishing i got something else
1440p 144hz monitor

Attached: Jewishshilllyingon4chan.png (3764x1540, 1.14M)

You are fucking retarded if you buy exploding samsung housefire shit intel is better.

Which of the following motherboards should I buy?

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING
Or
Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI

>ASUS Prime Z390-P
i wouldnt trust that shit at all
buying a bottom tier shitter mobo for a 9700k no. for a little bit more u can get z390 elite with vastly superior vrm

Attached: 6j8i71dbrxv11.png (1488x2008, 173K)

I have nothing against you posting this though? Shills are retards need to be exposed from any side, any company.
That guy clearly lied and got BTFO.

Thanks! I have a 2.5 bay, so it must work
Thank you

Explain to a complete retard why I shouldnt just get pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=w6vK8d as my first build. Im looking for something that will be able to play vidya at a consistent 144+ fps for at least the next 5 years, and I have no problem lowering settings to get that as long as I dont have to lower everything to the minimum. And if I do get that build, would pcpartpicker.com/product/PmyFf7/acer-monitor-umfg6aab01 this monitor be good for it? Im assuming it would work fine, if not a little overkill on the resolution.
Again, Im a complete retard. Feel free to bully the shit out of me, just explain why please.

>two ssds
just get one larger one really

>mobo and separete wifi
im sure there's one b450 with built in wifi if u need that

rest seem fine idk but not best psu

>144hz cheap monitora
as long as it doesnt have frame skipping i guess its fine ,check reviews

>just get one larger one really
I would recommend this but I found it better with two SSDs.
NVME for OS and apps and SATA for games.
Regular HDDs for storage of pictures/movies and what not.

I figured there wasnt much need for two separate SSDs, forgot to mention I was going to replace that smaller one with a hard drive.
And whats wrong with the PSU exactly? It looks like the only negative reviews are people complaining about noise, which I dont think Id have too much of a problem with. Do you have any other recommendations?

I want to get 2700x and rtx 2060, along with new psu, mobo, ram and a ssd. Should I wait for summer and see what new gpus and cpus amd releases, and see how it affects prices of what I want, or just get the whole setup now?

>I would recommend this but I found it better with two SSDs.
>NVME for OS and apps and SATA for games.
why not everything on one? does nvme make such a diff for os vs sata? idk

>Regular HDDs for storage of pictures/movies and what not.
sure

>PSU
nvme checked it has 5y warranty it should be ok. but something gold with 7-10 year warranty would be even better like corsair rm750x/evga g3

just wait it's pretty damn close now imo

Attached: Shoah 2019.png (1864x857, 453K)

Kek let him shill for the rest of his life, almost everyone is buying Ryzen anyway.

Nobody buys Intel SSDs, even their optane shit flopped badly.

>why not everything on one? does nvme make such a diff for os vs sata? idk
Yeah big difference and you will notice faster response time between medium.

Attached: rekt.png (1800x850, 236K)

thoughts?
nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/gJQ3J8

some say they notice no difference between sata vs nvme.. I dont know anymore
I know it has a difference when moving large data around because the increased write/read speeds tho...

for reference what drive did u have as os drive before/after? and did u change system along with it or no?

Attached: 04c.jpg (222x250, 11K)

1080p/144hz or 1440p/60fps? Which would be a better/more noticeable upgrade coming from 1080p/60hz?

why not get a 9700k/9900k with that budget
why not a 970 evo plus with that budget
why so slow ram with that budget

>some say they notice no difference between sata vs nvme.. I dont know anymore
>I know it has a difference when moving large data around because the increased write/read speeds tho...

NVME as OS disk it will be noticeable. But as storage for games and other stuff there is no difference between it and a regular SATA SSD.
Before I had a regular 860 sata ssd 250gb.
Now I have a 970 plus evo 250gb nvme.
Feels totally better. So 250gb nvme disk for os and apps, 2tb sata ssd for games and 4x4 tb hdds is what I have now with my ryzen 7 2700x

>1440p/60fps
def not 60hz whatever u do if u gayme....

noticeable?
144hz is a noticeable difference from 60hz
and
a bigger screen is obviously noticeable compared to a smaller screen

so u had 860 on same system before upgrading? seeing as upgrading platform cpu mem can effect how your system feel.

970 evo plus is literally best nvme right now but I would go with 500gb minium as the 250gb has bad gb/price

but instead of two drives i would just go with a 970 2tb .. almost very close to total cost of a seperate sata + nvme

I got the 250gb for 89 $ from a pal.
Everything I have right now is cheap cheap cheap so I am alright with my setup.

the 2080ti is the only stupid high budget thing.

>why not get a 9700k/9900k
neglible difference for the extra price

>why not a 970 evo plus
price. 860 fast enough for me. was tempting though

>why so slow ram with that budget
google searches seemed to say ram speed wasnt that important. all im doing is video editing photoshop and gaymen. was more tempted to go with 32gigs ram.

if you cant tell already im a first time builder.

Does anyone on /pcbg/ know of a good mini sized mouse I can get for $20 or less for my lappy?

>extra price
here a 9700k is cheaper than a 8700k but i checked that retailer from site and it wasnt

>video editing photoshop
wouldnt u want a nvme for that

>was more tempted to go with 32gigs ram.
u can get gskill aegis 32gb 3000mhz cheapest thing there is

>Is GeForce RTX 2080 8GB a overkill?
its for 4K mainly.
if youre willing to buy a 4k screen, sure.
otherwise 2070 is best right now for that 1440p sweetspot. others might argue the 2060 is better for the price but it only has 6gb v-ram

If I can find a good price on a used 1080 ti should I go for it or get something from rtx line (2070, 2080)?

Looking at the used market, none of the Turing cards make sense. You can get a 1080 ti for the price of a 2070, you can get a 1080 for the price of a 2060, you can get a 1070 for the price of a 1660 ti. Even in titles that take advantage of Turing, the lower total vram, memory bus, and probably power limits restrict you greatly.

yeah true. i suppose you would only want the new cards for memetracing then

>wouldnt u want a nvme for video editing photoshop
want? sure. but its more of a luxury for the price.

MX300 275GB M.2 for $40
MX500 250GB 2.5" for $55
Which would be better? Both new. Just want it for OS and maybe one or two other programs or something.

ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Crucial-MX500-250GB-vs-Crucial-MX300-275GB/3951vs3642

Oh, so for literally just day to day usage, the MX300 is probably the better one, since it has 25GB more and doesnt perform much worse than the MX500?
Okay, so another question, what about 250GB vs 500GB? As I said, it's going to be just for maybe one or two heavily used programs as well as the OS, but is there any real value in getting extra space, assuming it won't fuck a given budget up?

You won't achieve 1440p 144Fps and at 1440p CPU power is marginally, maybe 10 FPS at best which can make a difference however. What's your budget?

How much can i ask for my build?

i7 6700k with Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 240 and Corsair SP 120 Performance Fans both used
Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Brand New
Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC Edition with warranty till june 2020 used
RAM 2x8gb Kingston Hyper X Fury 2666mhz Black used
EVGA 600w 80+ Bronze PSU used

Attached: 1537744055076fix.png (575x641, 40K)

literally the CPU is the hardest to upgrade, its fine to be stuck on this part. you need to think hard on the memory since you should not be capable anyway to cap 1440p144.

you need to think hard on the GPU. the 8th gen intel is good enough and your mobo could be the 370 model, but its your choice in the end. all you really need is to get out of the CPU choke, and a intel i5 9900k is sufficient for a 2080ti afaik, so measure your budget and consider its upgradability down the road

how old is the AiO? i heard they go bad after 5 years

has it been OCed? whats the age on the GPU

I'm the intel pleb guy from yesterday that kept going on about the i5 8600k and 1070, turns out AMD might be better and you guys were, big surprise, right

the 2600X compared to the 8600k is only 5-15 frames on average lower, but it's cheaper and AMD isn't as CPU hungry as Intel, and the Z470 motherboard seems to have better support going forward
also comes with its own fan; the only downside is that it's about 1Ghz lower, so maybe I'd have to upgrade it sooner than if I got the i5(?)
anyway, goal is still 1080p 60fps max settings for modern games and anything for ~2 years to come

here's what I was going to get: pcpartpicker.com/user/Smocaine/saved/ykHvnQ
here's what I intend to get now: pcpartpicker.com/user/Smocaine/saved/WXVq4D

already have the monitor and PSU, getting a key for Windows
does this look like an improvement?

Attached: 1542978364005.jpg (329x380, 43K)

AIO less than a year maybe like 8 months,the GPU has a year and a month, and the OC was to 4.4ghz @1.270V CPU and the GPU was OCed to 2025Mhz +200Mhz on memory on stock voltage and power limit, temps never exceeded 65c on any component.

>the 2600X compared to the 8600k is only 5-15 frames on average lower
lol

youtu.be/V4Jsd0VuD4c

seems to be the case, it's nothing drastic and both are usually well over 100fps

drop the 2600X get a 2600 and a good cooler, just OC it yourself
you are locking yourself out of a possible 1440p100 goal you could somewhat easily archieve, are you sure of that?

interdasting, it might be worth a lot because all is less that a year old
sadly i duno the prices of that stuff and id never sell things with warranty still running, but surely its very close to store prices thanks to warranty

I like how you don't consider price.
2700X is losing by like 2% on average and you're all
>intel 39 wins out of 40 AMD BTFO
2% difference in performance is well worth having a CPU that's not busted garbage that's being thrown out for another architecture because of how many core insecurities it has. lmao the desperation

pcpartpicker.com/list/RRXdRJ
dont know why its suddenly american prices but it works out to be about 3.5k aud, been working on this for awhile, i feel nervous about locking it in, so many doubts like should i go 4k at that size, are older games and emulators going to play nice with ryzen, if i go 4k is it going to cause its own set of issues, is a 2080 even necessary could i drop it too a 2070, going out tomorrow to see if local stores have the parts and get the rest of the net

My current pricing is 600 dollars...

Please don't tell me you're going to spend $600 on a new 1070. It would be equally funny and stupid.

buying everything pre-owned

>14-14-14-34
ramtards of the thread, is this gud?

>4k
this is a meme, try 1440p, if you can breach 60fps on 1440p with freesync you are fine

> for a GPU
either get a used GTX or consider you are on 2080 territory wich will prvide 1440p120

take real note of the prices, remember that user who might be me who told you that for 275 you can get a 1660ti brand new. you need to beat equivalent GPU pricing by a good margin to make a used GPU worthit
also mining cards of the 1080 or 1080Ti should still be good, maybe 1070 mined is also, just ask a very fair price

You don't need an nvme ssd. Just get a sata m.2 one and a bigger hdd. Note 5400 rpm is fine for media and will be quieter and cooler. If you can, get a used 1080 ti instead of a 2080.

Best build I've seen in a while, though seems expensive.
You also don't need the NVMeme for gaming.

I'd also get a board which supports voltage offsets. PBO, voltage offset, and BCLK OC are the only way you can truly OC the 2700X.

>ramtards of the thread, is this gud?
I mean it's good, but it's $80 more than the RAM you'd be buying for an intel platform.

2x8GB of DDR4 3000Mhz CL 16 would run you around $100.

You buy B-die on Intel too, tard. Low latency matters for low latency intensive applications (games).
Compare B-die on Ryzen to non-bdie on an 8700k and the Ryzen platform wins despite all that extra money you spent for a "faster" Intel platform.

Even the non-stop spamming Intel shill with his autistic collages admits that.

>You buy B-die on Intel too, tard
No you don't or at least you have no NEED to like you do with Ryzen.

Will better RAM help intel? Sure, but nowhere near the extent that it's needed for Ryzen.

Attached: 9th gen memory scaling.jpg (710x1394, 158K)

thanks anons, i will go make the adjustments
originally had 3200 cl16 for $100 cheaper but some other anons warned against it on the ryzen system and that cl14 would be significantly better
so i will just keep it in then?

Those aren't game tests, you mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, sub-80 IQ moron.

>originally had 3200 cl16 for $100 cheaper but some other anons warned against it on the ryzen system and that cl14 would be significantly better
That's true, on Ryzen.

But if you take that $100 and switch to an intel build, assuming you can keep your GPU the same, you'll be better off for 144hz gaming. ESPECIALLY 1440p 144hz gaming.

Who cares? Do you think games somehow are going to show a more significant advantage to memory bandwidth scaling than fucking artificial benchmarks?

These benchmarks exist solely so they can showcase the difference in memory bandwidth and timings.

all im seeing is my seething hatred for intel locking 2800mhz and above memory speeds to Z board that will not be used on non overclocking processors

I don't even really see the issue when outside of niche workloads, you probably would never notice a difference between 2666mhz and 3200Mhz on an intel platform.

Benchmarks are the only place you'd regularly actually notice.

i do plan on learning blender for some game assets and mabye to render random shit, just learning it so it wont be anything to complex or professional assuming i dont abandon the hobby, other then that just gaming and learning to program which im guessing you can do with anything with a cpu and a screen, would it be worth the switch to 9700k/8700k, would cost about the same if i got the lower tier ram and bumped up to a better motherboard

it affects FPS, its noticeable on mid and low tier intel builds

youtube.com/watch?v=t2nFpUeB9eM

cl 16 3200 is probably SK Hynix AFR die which really can't clock higher than 3200 MHz even with more volts. cl 14 3200 is probably Samsung B-die which does scale with voltage and vdimm can go up to 1.5 V 24/7 with no issues. Provided your motherboard supports it you can go up to 4000+ MHz even though past 3600 MHz its generally hard to notice.

Regardless memory overclocking requires a fair bit more tweaking than cpu overclocking. You might be better off getting a cheaper AFR kit that's supported on the motherboard QVL that reaches XMP out of the box.

If you just want it work do the latter, if you want to tweak and get the most bang for buck, get B-die.

Intel keeps up with AMD in blender, so going intel would see a bit of a performance hit compared to AMD, but still respectably close enough where you generally wont notice a difference.

If you were doing Blender for your job, then AMD might make some sense as over the course of a year, you'd probably save a few hours in blender going with AMD.

But for the occasional Blender use? The intel CPU might take ~5 minutes longer on a 25-30 minute render compared to AMD.

Attached: 2019-03-30 10_13_42.png (891x891, 173K)

alright same user here, should I just bite the bullet, spend about £100-150 more and get a 1070 Ti and 2700X? instead of the 1070 8GB and 2600X

dont plan on overclocking, gotta go look up all those ram terms, been out of the pc game for awhile now, ram is pretty much the last unkown, intel/ryzen is just me not being able to make up my mind, im the guy that spends 2 hours picking out a pair of shoes, this has been hell for me
is the 9700k worth it over the 8700k, 9900k blows out the budget

for 1080p 60hz, i'm really not sure what you expect to get from a 2700x over a 2600x.

Are there any games the 2600x can't hit high 1080p 60hz on that the 2700x can?