google.com
templeos.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I made my own engine

Link?

I made my own engine

me 3

it's on my computer

I'm an autist who likes writing games in Rust, formerly C++, because "muh engines are bloat".

>gayming

showcase it then

k

there's nothing that special about it that isn't game-specific, just does rendering, scripting, resources, entity management

im sure it exists user

the engine exists, but the game isn't done, so I don't have much to show it off with

Because it's worse than Quake 1.

Why use an UE ripoff when you can work on the real thing

Because it will jump to rape your ass subscription model like other engines the instant it got some traction.

How would they do that if it's open source?

Drag&drop and fully scripted FREE engines are why indie gaymen industry died. All sorts of retards think they can make a good game with literally no effort or any creativity put in it, they release their dogshit game and BOOM, insane game inflation on the market. If you are serious about developing a product, put some effort. All those braindead "GAME DEVELOPERS" literally have no know-how, no creativity or no potential to make something groundbreaking.

sad

those game engines are why indie gaming was even alive in the first place

I'm talking about unity and unreal in particular. Not quake engine or any other engine that you can fully customize and need to do some actual shit to get it to work. I basically 1-star every shit when the splash screen shows off a unity logo.

Yes, Unity made indie games a thing, more or less

These engines make developing games hella easy, sure it makes game dev accessible to morons and kids who make the most hideous and boring games out there, but it also makes it accessible to creative people who don't have a background in programming.

I think these engines are a good thing, lots of great indie games come from Unity, plus some really good games: Hearthstone, Ori and the Blind Forest, Cities Skylines, Cuphead, Inside, Kerbal Space Program.

If game platforms like Steam had any actual quality control we wouldn't have to look at all these terrible games, I like indie games but most are just a pile of shit

but I'm creating my own

Attached: 123.jpg (1920x1080, 274K)

bad C# support

Convince me to use it over unreal 4

Attached: 2015_rip.jpg (1200x740, 137K)

Why are you butthurt about someone making their own game engine? A lot of people do so btw. Some even just for fun.

how hard is it? Point me in the right direction please.

Attached: 1551694560301.jpg (619x453, 47K)

>one triangle
just a few million more to go

Don't need a game engine.

Attached: Untitled.png (1280x692, 531K)

T. People who will never finish a game because they are stuck making an engine.

Been there, done that. Never again.

a jump back in the 90s, nice job weeb

store.steampowered.com/app/314230/Rodina/
This guy created his own engine just to make this game. It looks promising as fuck, but I bet it'll stay in development for more 6 years or so.

If you didn't finish it then you haven't been there and done that have you?

you stupid? he obviously meant he experienced not finishing a game because he was too caught up in making an engine.

Licenses.
Isn't Unreal Engine also open-source?

You can fully access the source but the license is restrictive.

because Godot went to Pastel when stormfall started

lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php
Also making your own engine is fucking worthless
If you want to make an engine make the engine
If you want to make a game use an existing one
Just try unreal, unity, godot and whatever else looks like you would enjoy working with
Do one tutorial and see what workflow fits best for you

Realistically you need 5-10 years experience to be in the position to make a 3D engine that's actually of any use to you and not a pointless waste of time
2D is viable

Godot is MIT licensed ya dingus

I cannot use it with Emacs

>Isn't Unreal Engine also open-source?
no

Can we export game to proper WebAssembly?

I can program, I dabble in embedded programming at times, but I kinda hate programing on a large(r) scale. Thank god I never went in to programming for a job, I'd shoot myself.
I do fuck around with game making at times, but it with visual scripting like Clickteam Fusion 2.5 and manually script out the parts that I have to. Lets me bang out dumb little joke games for fun at times.
I did write my own first person online dungeon crawler once in the early 2000s, was planned to be like a multiplayer Eye of the Beholder/Might and Magic, but had no one to do graphics or sound so it just stayed as wireframe... That might have been the project that thought me that I'm not crazy for programming.

Programming is a job and a very well paid one, you should focus on projects, not silly ideas.

Because the ripoff is opensource

its not free, but its open source

just because you have access to the source doesn't make it open source.

Open source literally DOES mean that, that the source is accessible. "Open source" has no implicitness on the license behind it, hence why even Stallman uses the phrase "free software" instead of "open source" to imply a open source project with a copyleft license.

its literally accessible, its on github. open source =/= free

It's the programming in game-development that makes it fun.

Because I want control. I used to make games on GMS2, which is very similar to godot. After a while, you hit ceilings in what is and what is not possible. I don't want to start learning something which would force me to use plugins and other kinds of stuff to do this one specific thing I want.

That's why I quit my current job, because they started pushing wordpress shit on my plate. I'm never gonna do that shit.

iTS opEN SoURcE sO ITs BEtTeR

Attached: 664.jpg (558x614, 18K)

i would use it, but looking at the issues page it seems like it still needs a lot of work, id give it 2~4 years until it would actually be fully usable

Because Order Road.

Attached: 1550459218604.webm (700x392, 556K)

>actually using the "hitler breathed oxygen" argument
Found the mac user.

Does anyone use xna/monogame?
I think it's pretty comfy.

But can dot net handle such swag that is powered by Godot engine?

Attached: 1547826610135.webm (710x400, 2.07M)

>everyone always asks about game engines
>no one has bothered to create some baseline tests to see how good the engines actually are in terms of performance

most game "programmers" are so incompetent that any test that could be made could be easily thrown out because of how poorly it resembles production running code.

Go ahead, make your test using an entity component system, cater to your cache lines, place relevant data together in the same struct, and remove all unnecessary abstractions.

Your average pajeetgrammer will make all of that irrelevant--"lol it doesn't take that long to pull something from RAM into cache!"

No kidding, but a pajeetgrammers ability to actually make use of hardware or a game engine doesn't reflect on the ability of the hardware or game engine. I'm just surprised no one has bothered to make any baseline tests. We have hardware tests, people compare software all the time, but game engines seem to be ignored.

Have fun making an editor. Without one, your engine is basically useless because of the dramatically slower and worse workflow of actually putting a game together,

The trick is to simply make a game and not an engine.
geometrian.com/programming/tutorials/write-games-not-engines/

I want to make an engine for the sake of making an engine and understanding how the basics of how they work.

Any good tuts for making a small engine?
I'm taking programming classes next semester, but I kind of want to get the jump on it early.

Attached: 1553540977163.webm (720x404, 956K)

Considering that's just a triangle with SDL you can do that in less than an hour.

Not him, but I would enjoy learning how to make a game engine.

google.com

Attached: 1540157024351.png (1174x559, 35K)

How far do you define game engine? Are you going to be writing the code to draw a window or tris on-screen? Or a level higher than that (i.e. physics, business logic, etc.)

writing your own stuff >>> any out of the box engine

That really depends on what you're quantifying.

>Bad cancer support

templeos.org