Boston dynamics new robot

What is Jow Forums's opinion on boston dynamics newest robot?

youtube.com/watch?v=5iV_hB08Uns

Attached: bostondynamics.png (1120x577, 736K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bwintegratedsystems.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They should wrap it with leather and strap a onnahole on that thick abdomen

It looks dangerous, shitty, inefficient and slow.

>dangerous
how?

Unpredictable twitchy movements.

>current year
>I have to explain why giant, woblly, limb-severing death-robots are insanely dangerous

obviously a proof of concept. looks to be 10 years out still.
That thing is slow as fuck, and 1 person palletizing is still faster.

Amazon has something similar already, but its a stationary arm used to stack totes onto a pallet for transport. Its good for handling multiple destinations and can create about 8 pallets of totes in roughly 20 min, but a motivated human can do 3 times that in the same time.
Also, the robot as finicky as fuck and will stop work at the slightest variable. (pallet is not within .5 inch of the area, tote is warped, tote is wrong color of yellow, or the robot just decided to fuck off because it can. nothing is wrong, it just decided it wanted you to fix the tote that it already placed.)
machines like this are a non-issue. they are akin to the welding arms that car makers have been using for 50+ years.

Shhh don't say that they will hear you

Attached: 45028.jpg (628x378, 62K)

Can it dance?

Attached: A man dances with an ostrich egg_ An ostrich joins in_ - GIF on Imgur.gif (400x225, 1.93M)

No, but they can pleasure you in other ways.

Attached: FCzVxbO.jpg (1158x1552, 533K)

bump

stationary palletizing robots aren't anything new -- and definitely not exclusive to amazon.

Palletizing robots are definitely slower, but they don't have to be paid minimum wage and can often lift much heavier loads than a human could. Most ergonomic standards say a person can't lift more than 50 lbs without a lift-assist, while robots can do well in excess of 200 kg (440 lbs)

I would fuck that thing if I had the chance.

>looks to be 10 years out still.
More like two or three. A decade is a ridiculously long time when it comes to stuff like this.
10 years ago these Boston Dynamics bots were basically spazzing around on four legs trying to learn how to walk.

I think the more impressive part of the video for me was the concept of a palletizing robot. In the context of stationary ones, these robots don't seem as impressive to me, especially compared to what Boston Dynamics has already shown.

Stationary automation also makes more sense in general for cost efficiency.

That's literally the first thing that came to mind.

"I bet that thing can suck a mean dick."

no wonder google sold away this useless company

>paying millions of dollars for robots, when you can just bring back slavery or employ childlabor

google did good by selling this shit company to retarded Japanese

Oh yeah

Attached: 1541019596283.gif (467x440, 3.56M)

Robots are more efficient, they don't need to eat, sleep or take breaks and you don't have to pay them

one word:
DILDO

T H I C C

Attached: 1475362868086.gif (800x800, 676K)

>1 person palletizing is still faster.
They are also prone to mistakes, fatigue, and need breaks. 12 hours of constant operation.

Can someone who knows robotics explain how having flexible legs helps here? I'm thinking this is all that Boston Dynamics are good at so they put in into everything for no reasons.

I dunno, so they can stand up and get taller.

Someone fucking mount weapons to these things god damn.

>tfw order a hitman robot in $futureyear to kill yourself

why not just have it on four wheels so it doesn't have to constantly balance itself out?

couldn't you just build in an extending neck?

Probably not, the world's best minds in robotics don't seem to think so.

man, i need to get in the robot making business. i could make a killing.

that would be really boring and wouldn't attract investment dollars

It must have something to do with how they stay at rest. They use the bending legs as support.

I wouldnt say it helps (unless there is some mechanical reason why they do it) just that they already had that design on previous models and projects and they are improving on what they had. It also probabley has to do with the brand they have built, because not too many robots made so far look at crazy and convoluted at those beasts.

Attached: independent thought alarm.jpg (300x225, 11K)

bump

Let google shill threads die, user.

Inverse kinematics. It’s easier to balance when the box isn’t completely stable.

Boston dynamics isn't owned by google anymore

Attached: -WM_strip_DK_20120121.jpg (666x230, 51K)

The robots are not made to solve a problem, they are made to push robotic technology forward. One day we will have "bipedal wheelchairs".

Pretty fucking cool

The idea is that people wouldn't be working around them.

There have been powered leg exoskeletons that can move your legs for you since 2010.
The ones available now just cost $40,000.

> Mr Boston
> Oui?
> Activate technological unemployment

Attached: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn-parismatch.ladmedia.fr%2Fvar%2Fnews%2Fstorage%2Fimages%2Fparis-match%2Factu%2Fso (1000x581, 119K)

>the world's best minds in robotics don't seem to think so.

I've always wondered why engineering teams dont have that one, HS educated guy that they can bounce ideas off of and try some of the more "ordinary" approaches like the dude mentioning the four wheels.
Because engineers think like engineers and build shit for engineers and see things in ways only an engineer would see. So we end up with over designed piles of wat.

I think engineers are capable of common sense, and is the real answer here: they were already doing this, and their brand is futuristic badass looking robots.

Navigating uneven terrain. It's basically active suspension taken to the next logical step.

Balancing is easy (by now) so no reason not to have it. It doubles as active suspension so that's a bonus too. And that way the robot is acutely aware of it's total balance including the load, so it won't just tip over in some random scenario.

So are temp workers. In fact I trust this thing more than half the retards at my job.
T. IT at a storage facility

>stacking 24 pallets in 20 minutes
i dont care how motivated you are that shit aint happenin

bwintegratedsystems.com
Yes, stuff like this exists.

But the whole point of this Boston dynamics unit is replacing shitty warehouse workers that spend more time sneaking out for cigarettes than order picking, and not needing all new racking for a fully automated system.

Rotation on 2 wheels is faster and takes up more space. Pivot vs turn

they're cool, but they won't work perfectly. eventually they'll send somebody out onto the floor to fix something the robots are ignoring and a half ton robot will pin them against a steel shelf and slowly crush them to death while twitching in an oddly sexual manner. it will be a humiliating and unnecessary death and when confronted about it the nerds at boston dynamics will wave their hands and babble on about forklift accident statistics and how more funding could prevent this in the future. ultimately, more man-crushing rape-bots will be put into production because nobody actually thinks critically about statistics anymore and nobody will wonder if maybe the problem is with massive centralized warehouses and not the machines inside them.

FUCK POOR PEOPLE I HOPE ROBOTS REPLACE THEM ALL

A retard on a forklift can do the same. We had a guy on bathsalts or something ranting about 'cameras in his finger tips' that watch what he is doing and refused to get off the forklift. Cops got called and he was tasered, when cuffed in the cruiser he headbutted his way through the rear window and ran into traffic towards a school causing a lockdown.
I trust the robot.

amazing

>insanely dangerous
it can detect if it's running into something and stop moving

They're takin our jerbs

that's why i said the problem isn't with the machines in the warehouse, but the warehouse itself. filling a massive empty building with millions of heavy things that need to be shuffled around quickly is bound to become dangerous. why should production be managed by conveyors and elevators that move products while warehouses move the same exact products using forklifts and rape-bots? warehouses are dangerous by design, or rather, the lack of any actual design or planning.

The obvious solution to transporting a box from one place to another isn't this: it is a 4 wheeled robot with either an arm or a base that adjusts to the height of the box.
If we go with the latter, a floor that is raised, you need to setup the warehouse for the robot and there is limits to what it can do.
With the arm, you can do more things, but you can't easily scale this from lifting a 5kg box to a 50 kg box.
One problem is the motors being able to handle it, another is stability of the system: the robot will likely tip over.

Boston dynamics focuses on starting with an unstable system and making it stable. That robot cannot stand and not use energy without going to a resting position.
So when they have made a unstable system stable, they can use it for something. In this case, it is a robot that is extremely flexible, being able to reach boxes low to the ground as well as stacking them high.
I don't think they are likely to fall over because the payload exceed the approved weight. If anything, it is easier for this kind of robot.

says someone who has never worked at a warehouse OR somewhere that produces something.
Even if production is managed by conveyors and elevators, the last step to get it out the door is essentially always a forklift (with obvious exceptions for things like cars, products that go in tankers, etc). You can't conveyor and elevator your shit on and off of the truck: if it goes in a warehouse, forklifts are required.
>the lack of any actual design or planning.
fuck off, you have never stepped foot in a warehouse in your life if you think this.

Why do they look and move like machines from hell?

i have worked both production and warehouse, and warehouses are certainly a retarded idea. you sound like a butthurt "production engineer" aka an aimless student who went to uni without a plan and ended up pursuing a meme degree because it sounded smart and didn't require any math. production engineering is a step below civil engineering, tbqh.

It’s already got a bunch of suction nozzles on that lifting arm.