Tfw your dream job has this requirement

>tfw your dream job has this requirement

Attached: dream job.png (1016x837, 105K)

>apply for job
>can't defend each skill requirement or skill on your resume
Get to practicing and stop bitching

Attached: A7C62BB5-09E4-4066-8DB4-67F314AF5F6B.jpg (1018x1024, 154K)

>Being a wagecuck
>Your 'dream'

I looked them up on glassdoor and they scare me

Attached: Screenshot_14.png (585x384, 32K)

if it gets like that just tell them to fuck off whats the worst that could happen

Sounds like try hard shit
Don't work for faggots like this they will pick on you due to not having the skills to teach the niche shit they need for that specific project.

Yeah they're stuck up but they pay ridiculously well. They do have an intellectual vibe which I really enjoy. The people there are mostly middle aged / elderly researchers so it's fairly laid back.

Sounds like a fucking retarded company with cancerous people. Stay far away from a place pulling off this kind of crap. Not to mention...
>C/C++/C++11
For a company that wants """""""""""""""expert""""""""""""""" C++ developers it seems like they have some genuine fucking retards if they're writing shit like.

they need someone who can handle an existing code base consisting of mix of c, c++98 and c++11, without rewriting it
you're a brainlet, don't even apply

BRB OP gets a job where the guy who hired him wants him gone for the sake of his own job security and will chase him out.
Seriously the only time I encountered shit like this was with pajeets where I immediately cut short the interview to not have to deal with this shit.
You can find a job with the same environment without the dipshit elitism.

you're probably right. sounds like some realtime processing shit. Maybe pre-processing for "big data" research. if it's something you can't get wrong and you need performance, you have to know the details. Either way, assuming that guy is telling the whole truth about the interview, that's a problem with the whole industry. I probably save my company more money doing security work and defining good process to keep pajeets in line than coding but i would fail most interviews at companies because i can't fumble my way through merge sort on a white board

Yeah like I said, the only reason I'm applying is because they pay well and I was at a talk where one of the senior guys there gave a presentation on machine learning.
I also have to sign a fucking NDA apparently.

Well you should apply for a number of jobs but this place sounds like hell on earth, just saying. Exercise extreme caution.

Sometimes the money is not good enough.
I have a rule if I need to stay late too many times I'm out the door

I don't see how this is different from interviews where they ask you to implement malloc.

They sound like pretentious douchebags who probably got bullied in high school and are now taking it out on interviewees.

More common than you think.
The issue is who really wants to work with people like this who go so hard to make someone else money?

Seriously the most successful teams I've been on do not act like this.

my job had c training

Exactly
If OP is willing to deal with shit like this he should consider moving to sweeden

Poster sounds really narcissistic. They are applying for a job that requires expert knowledge of C++ but complain when they are asked hard questions. The point isn't that you could look this stuff up in a manual, it's that if you are working on C++ infrastructure then you need to know this stuff by second nature.

OP here's a crazy idea: if your dream job requires expert knowledge of C++, get expert knowledge of C++ instead of complaining. The std::move question isn't out of nowhere. std::move is very important in modern high performance C++, so you need to know how it works in detail.

idk what OP is looking for but it doesn't sound like this is a junior position. They probably want a guy who can get to work straight away with little to no assistance.

>mfw

Attached: 1397540942387.png (86x81, 6K)

>tfw your dream job has this requirement

Attached: why.jpg (578x46, 7K)

Go back to your country.

Mate, I already live in it, Netherlands that is. It's just devastating that I can't apply for my dream job just because it happens to be in the states and requires citizenship.

Whats the job description? Is it for military contracting that they strictly require a US based person?

>tfw perfectly fit my dream job description but they just ignored my resume
Will post a research paper in the end of the next month. Maybe it will change their mind

How long did it take to finish your paper? What is it about?
I am a uni student who is interested in CS research, but the only papers related to 'CS' are all AI/ ML/ Data science faggotry which is more Math than CS.

Development scientist/physicist

It happens to be a position in the leading semiconductor fab in the world, for the given type of semiconductor. It surely deals with many military projects but no, I don't think there is any military contracting involved for that particular job.

It's about nlp using deep learning

I hope its not derivative trite garbage.

>tfw got an email 2 days after i applied at a good company for a graduate softeng role saying they liked my resume and asked for more info like work rights/uni transcripts/when i can work/etc to "get the ball rolling"
>been 2 days and haven't heard back yet
how long do i wait before i remind them i exist

Attached: pepep.jpg (600x568, 56K)

For the people who are bitching saying it's not worth it: this is for a fucking hedge fund. No brainlets allowed.

Hedge fund is scam

Whatever makes you feel secure about yourself.

get fucked nodejeet

>C/C++ in Linux/Unix environment
Sounds like my dream job, as well. What's wrong? It's your dream job, so you're an expert on C/C++, right? Why would your dream job be something that you don't know anything about?

Attached: 1553899664309.png (1452x1518, 1.33M)

I'd need to pass a special exam to be allowed to attend a uni, then spend 4 years to get engineer's degree, but it's not too useful so I'd have to spend 5 years and write a solid long essay (pretty much write a book) to get engineer and master
which would surely be way more time and work than studying, practicing and doing projects to reach requirement in OP's post.

Their shit is almost certainly covered by ITAR, so they can’t have foreign nationals working on it. Sorry bruh.

He's actually right, hedge funds are often a scam. Very few hedge funds can perform as well as the Quantum Fund or Berkshire and an index fund can often outperform them or be equivalent.

>Programming tools in Linux/Unix environment
does that mean that my emacs must be riced to hell?

What is up with this post? Asking about ::std::move seems like a solid starting question. It could probably be followed by a couple of questions about new value categories and move semantics introduced in C++11 as well as questions on advanced subjects, such as template parameter deduction, forwarding and universal references. That dude was clearly not qualified even for middle-level job, what exactly was he expecting when applying for an expert position?

I don't get what you expected from a job listing for HFT, performance is absolutely paramount for those programs

While we're at it I know C11 fairly well but my C++ knowledge is kind of outdated since I learned it back when C++03 was still current, anyone know good resources to get up to speed with modern C++?

>dream job

Attached: wagecuck.png (1280x809, 198K)

>LOL JUST GIT GUD

Put a dress on and say you're sally, you'll get the job regardless.

>std::move
>basically just abstracted pointer assignment for people who's retarded to use pointers
>pretend like its some sort of must-know holy grail

Send them a "Thank you" card. Hand write that you appreciate them taking the time to interview and that you look forward to hearing back from them. If you're handwriting sucks, then type it out and sign it.

Smart pointers and move semantics provide stronger invariants that make it easier for the compiler to spot opportunities for optimization instead of using the old C malloc/free, they're not just for protecting the programmer from himself (though choosing the tool with more room for error without any corresponding performance benefit is the real retarded choice)

>just abstracted pointer assignment for people who's retarded to use pointers
Sir, you clearly have no idea what std::move is and most likely are not capable of pointers handling. Claiming that things you don't understand are stupid makes you really miserable.

Attached: sdsdvxxx.jpg (615x427, 24K)

What company?

For what kind of position do they even want this? Like, I would consider myself a pretty good C++ programmer, but I have never ever looked into how this particular function is implemented, it just never occurred to me. I do however understand everything about it after looking at it.

Enlighten me, dear sir Pajeet. From cppreference it sure as hell looks like that to me. It's a solution to problems C++ programmers created themselves. Bloat piggybacking bloat is what it is.

what other types of expert-level questions like that are there?
Like, if they asked me that I would have said that
std::move converts an L-value reverence to an R-value reverence. But the way this is phrased seems just oddly specific.

>my dream job is c++ developer
>wha does it require c++ knowldge? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Why is this unreasonable? If there are people better than you, why do you deserve the job instead of them?

Not him, but well, move semantics are very elegant with move constructors but other than that I don't think they have many uses where a normal reverence wouldn't do just as well.

>there are people better than you
And that is exactly the point.
If you ask questions where you expect people to give exact answers that you have to learn - where it is not enough to understand - then you are going to hire idiots who learned everything by the book but can't think outside the box.
People who are like that are n00bs

>Don't study! just think outside the box! be yourself!

I can't belive this thread, if someone knows more shit than you then it means it's more qualified than you to do the job.
If they want an expert and you can't even answer more than basic questions about C++ then fuck off, simple as that.

>tfw your dream

Attached: b2053807ebaf2a876e4ffe4d3bbc0775e85bfc4f6c4624ef8190700932765118.jpg (482x427, 61K)

Are you for real, lad?
A great programmer is someone who has a lot of experience optimizing and finding bugs in shit, someone who can design large codebases and someone who can write template libraries without rewriting everything a thousand times.

That same programmer might know 20 languages.
That same programmer might not know some particular language feature.
THAT
DOES
NOT
MATTER
He will just look it up in 1 minute find it interesting and move on.

Meanwhile, you can have someone who knows all the details of the language and knows everything about every feature. But then he is faced with a task that is not "by the book", and then n00b.exe stopped working.

>if someone knows more shit than you then it means it's more qualified than you to do the job.
This just has to be the stupidest sentence I have read this week.
knowing shit is not the same as being able to get shit done.
You want people who get shit done and not people who learn everything by the book.
Fucking tell me what you are doing faggot. I bet you are still in uni thinking you can get gud by learning every sentence in the god damned C++ book.

>ask you to implement malloc.

asking malloc is fine as long as they don't expect you to write exact clone of malloc, but rather point out some important highlights like alignment, virtual memory shit etc.

>tfw many people on this board have that because they've been playing with writing compilers and games and shit instead of wasting their time doing whatever it is you've been doing

>I would consider myself a pretty good C++ programmer
no offense, but you probably should not
>but I have never ever looked into how this particular function is implemented
The question was only about signature. Figuring out signature is not that difficult if you know what std::move is for. Basically you should be aware that it 1) accepts a single argument of generic type -> it has to be a template function with a single parameter 2) passes argument through producing rvalue reference -> it has to return an r-value 3) to avoid situation when we return a reference to reference std::remove_reference is necessary. As for implementation, it should be obvious that this function is essentially a pass-through return of the argument (this also implies that it won't throw any exceptions).

>L-value reverence to an R-value reverence
The important part is that resulting expression will fall under rvalue category (not to be confused with r-value reference). Simply passing R-value reference won't cause overloads accepting R-value reference (move constructors in particular) to be invoked .

Dream jobs that usually involve nice amount of R&D and creativity are generally C/C++ developer jobs (for software dev positions). Whenever I see a job posting that requires javascript, python or any other toy language, I immediately skip it. Because I know it will be a code-monkery where you basically import 99% of the project from some framework, do 1% of customization on it. lmao

C++ is a highly complex language and writing high performance code in modern style is hard. Have you seen the internals if Eigen? Could you write code like that?

It's not about memorizing things, it's about having deep knowledge of how C++ works so that things like the prototype for std::move are obvious and intuitive. I don't have this knowledge, but for example I know enough about templates that the template boilerplate is not mysterious to me.

>2019
>C++

pathetic

Attached: 1529333848579.jpg (2100x1500, 1.38M)

t. durgesh

this. I haven't looked up the implementation of std::move but I could easily get what that declaration meant. Probably I would forget to use std::remove_reference if I implemented it.

You are basically mixing a technician with an engineer, there are technicians and engineers in this field, you can be a codemonkey with experience or you can be someone who knows what is doing from start to end.

To understand what you are doing in a deeper level you need knowledge, that's how it works, people who create more complex stuff than what codemonkeys troubleshoot are experienced people with a solid base of knowledge.

Well, I just looked at a few files from Eigen just now as I wasn't familiar with it, and yes, I could do that.
I have written my own template linear algebra library, and while it's pure garbage tbqh, I learned enough about how that kind of shit works to not be intimidated by it.
If I had to job to fix something in that library I could probably do it.

that's a retarded task.
even most CS professors couldn't solve that

Look, there is soooo much stuff that you could possibly know that it's just not reasonable to ask someone to know everything before he applies to the job.
You are confusing an engineer with a wizard.

And engineer will look at the task and then he will RESEARCH what he needs to know about this specific task in order to get it done.

Like, there are also GPUs, AVX, multiple platforms, tools, and many libraries that you can know.
No one knows everything. The best thing you can be is having a solid foundation and understanding. And then being able to quickly learn the details.

CS professors aren't professional programmers.
But I also think that question is not that relevant. I write C++ for a living btw.

it's just the same thing, like imagine someone asked you the specific command to muladd 16bit integers in an AVX-512 vector

Imagine you have a PhD in Math and you have coded a lot of projects but you never taught yourself the exact prototype of every single std::template.
>lol, sry, bro. You need to know that, lol

Your analogy is rather off. Awareness of move semantics and of std::move in particular is absolutely essential thing for anyone who claims to be proficient in C++11 language. It is not some kind of dusty library routine. And figuring out its signature should be possible even if you never actually looked at declaration.

It's one thing to know how move semantics work and how they are used, and another thing entirely to know the exact expression as is stated in the picture.

It's for a position labeled "expert". This is the kind of thing I would expect an expert to be able to discuss, even if they don't come to the right answer.

I'm trying to get into data science and the job market is absolutely insane. Companies hiring have no clue what they need. They hope that by having absurd requirements (PhD plus 10 years post-graduate experience) they'll magically land someone who can solve all their problems.

The other day I saw a position for "NLP Data Scientist" requiring "expert knowledge" in "standard NLP tools like OpenCV". The HR people writing these reqs are pants on head retarded.

It is not realistic to learn how move semantics work and how they are used without ever touching std::move. Knowing that exact expression as is stated in the picture is not required, it is not that difficult to figure out signature knowing what std::move is for, see

So, ok.
So imagine I didn't look at it right now.
I would have said the following thing (probably):

Well, std::move casts an lvalue reverence to an rvalue reverence in order for the object to be taken by a move constructor.

So... Well, lets try building it, well, it needs to cast it down, so we need it to figure out the type, so maybe
template
Type&& move(Type& obj);

I wouldn't have thought about the remove reference part, because I always just assumed it matched the reference in the argument. And I wouldn't have added the noexcept at the end, because I would never have thought about that.

Expecting a listed answer like is really extreme, and I would probably fuck up even more because of nervosity.

All the people defending this horseshit don't realize this is exactly what Pajeet excels at...useless memorization.

The thing to consider is that this is just the glassdoor reviewer's impression and opinion after getting rejected.
The likely situation is that they were looking for somewhat who had a general insight and could attempt the problem, and it sounds like this candidate got flustered at the idea to begin with.

It's possible that the company or interviewer in question is crazy, but that may not be the case.

I guess this would be a fine answer for a junior / middle entry position or for people with brief C++11 experience. Since they are looking for an expert is would be fair for them to expect that candidate won't have problem dealing with this question.

>the only papers related to 'CS' are all AI/ ML/ Data science faggotry
Lol so what do you want to research, fucking software engineering best practices? The reason research is focused on that is because you typically need at least a masters in ML to work in the field. Getting a masters in CS means you're trying to become an academic. And btw, literally any kind of CS research is going to be math heavy

>Interviewing for SWE position
>Dumb fucking leetcode whiteboard questions
>On like the 5th one, binary search tree
>Ask "Out of curiosity, how often do you find yourself doing this on the job?"

Dude interviewing me got REAL buttblasted at that one. I did not hear back from them.

>we want you to make an editor so we can make trading AI's without needing any programming knowledge
>btw, we will be judging you without knowing shit about programming ourselves
Looks like they wanna hire someone to make a product for themselves so they never have to deal with programmers ever again.

the fun thing about that answer is that it would actually legit work if it's implemented like this:

template
Type&& myMove(Type& t){
return std::move(t);
}

And

template
Type&& myMove(Type& t){
return (Type&&)(t);
}

actually also works. So how exactly am I supposed to know that it's implemented with remove_reference? And now I'm really curious because I actually don't see the case where it makes a difference

That question is easy for me but I've been writing C++ libraries for years.

> gets asked a question about the language
> makes smart ass answer
> wonders why they didn't get the job
> must be the employer's fault/problem
the absolute state of vagina-based zoomer faggotry. they're looking for people that know their shit and not going to waste time. how do most of you dumb fucks here not see that? amazing.

My answer would be that most of what we do is straightforward, but sometimes we hit an algorithmically complex problem and it's important to be able to solve it and not just work around it. Sometimes if you can reduce your problem to a hard but well defined problem and then solve that problem, your software may end up simpler than if you took an ad hoc approach.