Why cant linux do rounded corners?

Why is there no Linux WM that can properly do rounded, aliased bottom corners? What makes this so hard to do? Is it something to do with X or what?

Attached: 69CBFDC3-1158-4CDB-8601-ADD23AC96AB3.jpg (800x478, 80K)

>freetards
>into design

It has to be more than freetardation. Im sure ricefag would have figured it out if it was simple.

>KWin doesn't exist

KDE does it.

Attached: 1531891753886.png (1430x842, 175K)

Why they should care about this?
It's useless
iBrainlets BTFO

Attached: 1552891908710.gif (220x123, 113K)

awesome

>wanting aliasing
retard

Attached: Text font smoothing blurring antialiasing Windows.png (419x602, 14K)

openbox has a patch for it somewhere

>why Linux can't do [thing]
>KDE can do [thing]

literally every single time, why do people use any other DE is baffling

Attached: 1543169905891.png (1200x1697, 281K)

>round corners on hideous 3d GUI
Start all your posts with " Boomer here, " from now on.

Linux doesn't have anything to do with rounded corners. Nor does X have to do anything with it.
I have seen GTK themes and QT themes with rounded corners and window buttons on the left if you want the itard experience.
Google it. As far as I'm aware, every KDE Apple clone has these.

Jesus christ, why would you even want that? Rounded corners in software, on actual screen is absolute cancer

Because Linux is just a kernel - it doesn't gave a graphical user interface, let alone programs in floating windows that have rounded corners.

You forgot to say that Konqui is under the Creative Commons license....

My eyes

iToddlers BTFO...once again...by a fucking dragon...

Waste of space. Both you and your rounded corners. GTFO.

OSX actually can't do rounded corners, if you don't believe me try and take a picture of the window with rounded corners and post it.

Ronded corner is wasted pixels.

>round corner of margin
Lmao this pajeet tier UI

Attached: Screenshot 2019-03-29 at 21.38.34.png (668x318, 52K)

I don't care, I have a GUI for the web browser and videos.

Why would you need that bloated shite?

+1 for this

You can't round the contents of the window. It's an X thing.

What a qt. Also check'em.

as for many things related to linux and graphics, you can probably blame xorg

inb4
>nuffin wrong with xorg

>What a qt
nice

Attached: 8c3.jpg (496x496, 134K)

:^)

Attached: after.png (1700x1000, 816K)

Who hurt you?

ROUNDED CORNERS ARE SO TRENDY AND MODERN

Attached: dd1388d1bd6f018ffe839a4f21b80b62[1].jpg (288x430, 12K)

Imagine being this much of a brainlet that thinks non-smoothed works well with every font.

Based

why would you want that? I like only top corners rounded

>border-radius: fuck-my-shit-up-senpai;

openbox and kwin do.

sour grapes.
macos looks better. A good 40% of GNU Freetard distros is opensource Apple code:
CUPS, GNUStep, PulseAudio, Systemd, flatpak, wayland...
All thanks to them.

>weak corners
LMFAOing AT YOUR LIFE, KDETARDS

I never got that. When you only round top corners it looks very inconsistent to me.

The general logic behind rounded corner is simply that brains have an easier time processing smooth areas instead of Sharp breaks which is why people think it looks so good. like either do all four corners or none.

Rounded corners are feminine.

Angular corners evoke masculinity and strength. Do you want girly corners OP? Are you gay?

Openbox does not anti alias. If you need non anti aliased rounded corners lots of Wm s can do that (bspwm e.g.).

Kwin is the only one that can do anti aliased rounded corners even on non supporting applications and context menus.

You're right, when I did rounded corners on openbox, it had rough edges.
I'm on BSPWM right now, never knew it had a rounded corners option

How is any of the projects you listed macos code? Two projects you posted are by Pöttering, the other two are by freedesktop and the last two are by the Unix community.

Also any Plasma desktop that is tweaked 5 minutes makes your MacOS desktop look like something straight out of 1847.

well its a pull request I have been using for a while now don't know if it has been merged yet

basemented and kekpilled

God that is PUTRID

I believe KDE can actually do this.

Thread TL;DR: KDE can do it just fine. Also X is partially holding things back and Wayland will make stuff like that a lot easier.

Mints got roundies

t. mactoddler

>fagOS

Attached: 1532952019726.webm (854x480, 2.9M)

> Be Linuxfag for 2 years
> Prior Winfag since 3.1
> Given a Macbook for Christmas.
> Been using it at home so I can better understand the MacOS ecosystem that I so proudly detest.
> Didn't even notice the rounded edges.

I'll have to check my Kubuntu, Debian 9, & Solus installs to see if they even have rounded edges. It's a cool feature, but not a ground-breaking addition.

I'll tell you what iOS has by default that I miss on all my other installs - 3-finger swipe. Being able to quickly view & swap apps with 3 fingers on the trackpad when you don't have an external mouse installed is huge. I've installed it on my *nix systems as an aftermarket macro, but the Mac default is the only true win I've found so far.

Screenshot this:

OP is a shill priming your subconscious for the upcoming release of 10.15 which will have edgy corners again.

>the upcoming release of 10.15 which will have edgy corners again
?

CUPS is the only thing you listed that has anything to do with apple.

Not only that, but airdrop between an iPhone and a Mac is really a blessing.
There are some projects to mimic it on Linux and Windows, but haven't tested them yet.

CUPS is by Apple, GNUstep is (originally) written by Apple.
The other two are merely copies of exiting Apple Software.

An addition to that list would be Avahi (Bonjour).
For people that supposedly hate Apple, a lot of your software sure is similar, to the point of being compatible with the official thing.

Attached: 12 - Fzq5y1G.png (1000x1000, 355K)

rounded corners look ugly desu

I'm not a walled garden iPhone user, so those don't apply. Thankfully, there's plenty of Windows/Linux/iOS > Android integration to go around.

I'll bite.

Linux can't do a global menu bar at the top of the screen, like macOS. And if you can somehow hack one together with a plugin or something, most programs won't support it because they weren't made to use it while macOS forces all programs to conform to their standard.

Picture for reference but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I'd love to be proven wrong, btw

Attached: menubar-name02.jpg (450x300, 96K)

Tried KDE Connect?

>Linux can't do a global menu bar at the top of the screen, like macOS.
KDE can do that.

Attached: Screenshot_20161026_184002.png (841x599, 157K)

yea this is a built-in feature now via extensions and recently got support for GTK apps so it works 98% of the time on Plasma

d-delete this

Attached: 9 - tMVuCQ6.png (1000x1000, 361K)

There's global menu implementations now that support GTK, Qt, wxwidgets and whatever else is out there. I don't use it myself so I can't be arsed to find it right now. Pretty it's at least available for KDE and MATE.

*whispers on your keyboard
apple btfo by microparticle of dust

No, but it seems to be a good alternative for airdrop, I'll check it out. Thanks

>GNUstep is (originally) written by Apple
GNUstep is a free software implementation of cocoa. NEXTstep was not originally written by apple. The connection is tenuous at best and no one uses this anyway.

>The other two are merely copies of exiting Apple Software.
Not true at all.

>An addition to that list would be Avahi (Bonjour).
It's a free software implementation of an apple spec. It's not apple code.

>For people that supposedly hate Apple, a lot of your software sure is similar, to the point of being compatible with the official thing.
You've named a couple of pieces of software that implement a couple of Apple APIs. That's not "a lot" at all. CUPS is really the only thing you legitimately have.

because linux distros are made by autists

So how do I turn this on? I can't find any reference to it in KDE's labyrinthine settings menu

It's a widget for the bar. Just add it.

>while macOS forces all programs to conform to their standard.
Wrong. You can do whatever the fuck you want with your menus.
>And if you can somehow hack one together with a plugin or something
It's built-in in 2 Ubuntu flavours, in the first one it's enabled by default and in the second one it's an option in the system preferences., merely a maximum of 10 clicks away.

Attached: 1540845567222.png (680x753, 128K)

>systemd was modeled after launchd
>Poettering is literally a coping macfag, pretty much everything he wrote is a copy of how Apple approached the problem
>modern GNU/Linux is just a superior interpretation of ideas in macOS

Attached: poettering_cringe.jpg (720x569, 127K)

We have had the same UI toolkit that Mac uses since the mid-90s.

Yes, it's better than GTK and QT.
Yes, I wish more developers used GNUStep than PajeeQT and CSSGTK.

>>The connection is tenuous at best and no one uses this anyway.
>GNUstep is a free software implementation of cocoa.
Based on code from OPENSTEP

>NeXT was founded by ex-Apple employees and Steve Jobs
>bought by Apple
>NeXTSTEP foundation for MacOSX
>All the NeXT developers remain at Apple or stayed for several years
Okay dummy.

>Not true at all.
PulseAudio and Systemd and Wayland are architecturally clones of CoreAudio, Launchd, and the Quartz compositor protocol.

>It's not apple code
Never said it was. It is however, a dependency for most networked apps on most distros now, in addition to being 100% compatible with Apple Bonjour.

>You've named a couple of pieces of software that implement a couple of Apple APIs. That's not "a lot" at all. CUPS is really the only thing you legitimately have
Yeah, just the things that enable you to boot your computer, listen to more than a single audio stream at a time, see graphics on your display, connect to services on your computer, install software, and have windows instead of terminals everywhere.
Hardly anything on XDG/GNU/Lincucks is Apple....

This is running on Linux. Programs you see use Cocoa for the Windows and compile on either Mac or Linux.

Attached: etoile-0.4-typewriter-regex-vs-stepchat.png (1280x800, 288K)

KDE can't change the login screen clock format to 24 hours if your OS is set to the US region formats

Attached: image.php.jpg (650x354, 40K)

>Based on code from OPENSTEP
GNUstep predates apple buying Nextstep. Openstep was developed by Sun which is where the original things all came from. You're retarded.

>PulseAudio and Systemd and Wayland are architecturally clones of CoreAudio, Launchd, and the Quartz compositor protocol.
Poettering took some ideas from apple for systemd and pulseaudio. The idea that either are architectural clones is absurd however. Including Wayland in here is just completely retarded and wrong.

>a dependency for most networked apps on most distros now
So what? It's simply compatible with some Apple APIs, but it has nothing to do with otherwise.

>Yeah, just the things that enable you to boot your computer, listen to more than a single audio stream at a time, see graphics on your display, connect to services on your computer, install software, and have windows instead of terminals everywhere.
I don't actually use systemd or pulseaudio so you're already wrong. The rest is just nonsense. Installing software has to do with your package manger.

Let me correct what I got wrong. Openstep was a joint project between Next and Sun. This was before Apple bought Next. GNUstep set to follow the spec openstep provided. Also, no one uses it.

>Openstep was developed by Sun
>You're retarded.
OPENSTEP brought NeXTSTEP to the Sun Workstation, it was not "developed by Sun". Leave Jow Forums.

>>I don't actually use systemd or pulseaudio
>I-I use shitty POSIX programs from the 90s that no regular distro uses.
Okay, dummy

>rounded
>ever

Attached: taskman.png (632x494, 15K)

Based and redpilled.

>it was not "developed by Sun"
This was also before apple bought Next.

Attached: 2019-03-30-165019_grim.png (588x188, 12K)

OPENSTEP was just NeXTSTEP 4.0. Sun helped with the SPARC architecture port.
They definitely did not develop NeXTSTEP, although if you were a zoomlet and didn't already know the story, you'd might think that from googling in 2 minutes.
Enjoy your OSX/GNU/Linux, user!

Based.
Only neetniggers smelling their asses all day care about looks disregarding practicity.

>OPENSTEP was just NeXTSTEP 4.0
No, Openstep was an API. It's not NEXSTEP.

>They definitely did not develop NeXTSTEP
I never once said they did.

>Enjoy your OSX/GNU/Linux, user!
>FOSS having support for some APIs means macfags secretly developed everything
Enjoy your delusion

>No, Openstep was an API. It's not NEXSTEP.
All you're proving is that free-tards are computer-illiterate and that pro-Mac actually know what they're talking about.
Then again, what can I expect from someone who prefers raw ALSA and RC over Sound Service and DaemonTools

Attached: file.png (920x688, 1.81M)

Not inherently a bad thing, to those criticizing so harshly. On monitors at work, I would strongly prefer to keep antialiasing of any kind disabled, especially on my 1080p monitor. Now when I use the company 1440p Thinkpad… I desperately need anti-aliasing.

Openstep != OPENSTEP. I've been talking about Openstep which is the API. The OPENSTEP 4.0 release was way after Gnustep was a thing. GNUstep didn't take any code from that, it merely followed the public specification.

Holy fucking based

Is this a fucking joke, Ubuntu had global top menu for years

This.
Don't be a muppet, use KDE.

>clock format follows region format
Sounds about right. You can customize time format for your locale IIRC.

Worst case is you can customize your lock screen just by editing some Javascript+JSON/XML contraption since it's written in QML.

> using thicc borders so freetards believe that his DE can make things that others do

So this is the power of freetard software...

Attached: image(24).png (1920x1080, 1.47M)

the only problem here is that the curvature is linear

Attached: gen-round-corners.png (2000x849, 205K)

freetards forever BTFO'd

it's so...blurry!

Attached: crisp.png (842x431, 101K)

rounded corners are as useless and stupid as transparent terminals or flat icons

>wayland
>a clone of Quartz compositor protocol.
It doesn't even provide a graphics library, let alone the "pdf-based graphics model". So, a chance to finally have a standard GUI foundation was lost.