What should Cinnamon change to make it your favorite desktop environment?

What should Cinnamon change to make it your favorite desktop environment?

It's basically what Gnome 3 should have been. Cinnamon shares Gnome's looks and KDE's functionality.The developers even receive 120k in donations (excluding sponsors) each year so it's not some meme DE that will die off in a year. Cinnamon is stable and recently had major speed improvements. It really should be the official DE of Jow Forums.

Attached: screenshot-cinnamon.jpg (1920x1080, 268K)

Pic above is Fedora's default. Pic related is Mint's default. I personally use the aqua version of Mint's as I don't like green.

Attached: linux-mint-19.1-modern-desktop-layout.jpg (1280x768, 135K)

> Cinnamon shares Gnome's looks
And that's why it's bad. Gnome 3 is as retarded as these websites with BIG buttons and fields. Of course, it may be justified on 1080p 10", but not 23". Even on 16" it's bad, because scaling exists and designers shouldn't take up the space on the assumption their users are blind. Tl; dr:
> big buttons and margin spaces are bad

Used it for a month, saw no improvement over GNOME. What's even the point of it when you can just switch to GNOME Classic?

It's alright but if I really wanted to use a DE i'd just use xfce. More customizeable.

no wayland support

>xfce
abandonware
>gheyland
kys

I'm not sure what you think is bigger than in any other DE unless you're referring to the new panel. In the case of the panel, it can be scaled down. If you need fractional scaling of all UI elements, GTK just got support for that like a week ago.

>It really should be the official DE of Jow Forums.
you didn't spell KDE right

I just switched from Cinnamon to KDE because of one specific feature: shortcut key to hide window borders. I can just toggle them off and maximize the work area whenever I want. Other than that I was pretty happy with Cinnamon, so I might switch back when they get that too.

I can't choose between Cinnamon and KDE, KDE can be too complex sometimes. Cinnamon just weks

Somehow it's very slow compared to gnome

Better "Window Border" buttons. They're all gay and round. The few square ones still have bizarre borders that don't fill the entire space around the buttons. This has to be some retarded mac thing they copied.
Using Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue buttons now, but still pretty bad.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if Red Hat kills off Gnome Classic after they finish their discussions on dumbing down extensions.

Almost dead.

Wayland compositors are not ready yet.

>after they finish their discussions on dumbing down extensions.
what discussions?

There's a Wiki page on future changes for Gnome where one of them is sandboxed extensions.

>looks like gnome
giant buttons and empty spaces everywhere, cinnamon looks hedious

>green folder icons
>blue highlights
>red X
>three different shades of grey
who the fuck seriously designs this software?

Arc Dark has to be the single most overrated theme of all time. Looks like shit yet you see it on almost every "riced" DE.
>complains about abandonware
>dislikes wayland

wayland is a solution in search of a problem

That is neither correct nor a bad thing.

personally i'd like it more if the download page on the website didn't get compromised with spyware every 3 months

>What should Cinnamon change to make it your favorite desktop environment?
But it already is?

Wayland is from the Xorg devs themselves so they know what's wrong and what should be done about it.

Wayland support

>offical DE of Jow Forums
no that will always be KDE because it's literally made for the furry cutefags

Have you gotten different Gnome Shell themes to work on it? I tried 2, both were broken.

>looks like xfce but consuming 4x more resources while mantaining almost the same level of functionality
no thanks

Every DE/WM currently compared to Gnome/Mutter or Plasma/Kwin is currently beyond dogshite.

Gnome has wonderful streamlining and no bloat with perfect Unix mentality (everything a plugin) but lacks visual features (rounded corners and blur).

Plasma has wonder functionality like rounded corners, blur and activities but lacks streamlining and is bloated to death (the functionality not the applications or kwin).

We should get Plasma and Gnome to unify their efforts and we'd have a DE that is so far ahead of current user expectations it'd be insane

It already is. However, the longer I use it the more I start seeing the cracks.
My biggest complaint is how the devs release big updates far too soon, without properly testing them. The 4.x updates were especially bad. Nemo was borderline usable for me afterwards and it still suffers heavy performance issues when handling large directories.
There are also some weird quirks. For example, if you want to launch an application in a terminal (via a .desktop file), then it'll open it with gnome-terminal, xterm or not at all (if you have neither of the previous two installed). The reason being, that the devs hardcoded these two options instead of using your default terminal emulator.

When kde is too much, use lxqt.
Rest are shit

>no bloat with perfect Unix mentality
I can't even begin...

Support KDE Connect.

serves no purpose
there was already xfce

>abandonware
see git.xfce.org

bettery battery life. their compositor is trash optimized and you can get nearly 25% more runtime by switching to kde

do you actually use your mouse to open apps though? I use my keyboard to do everything in gnome so its pretty comfy. only other de/wm I ever use is i3

>Almost dead.
your snowflake useless de sure helped with that by fragmenting users and possible devs
>Wayland compositors are not ready yet.
gnome? sway? enlightenment?

pro tip: stop posting

gnome has overhead like any de
and idk if it was just their wayland but it also seemed to lag

apps urself

/thread

/Thread

>your snowflake useless de sure helped with that by fragmenting users and possible devs
Xfce should have tried not being shit. Then maybe people would have contributed more to it.
>gnome? sway? enlightenment?
Why hasn't Canonical, SUSE, or Red Hat adopt it as the default yet? Because it's not ready yet.

>pro tip: stop posting
You are too much of a brainlet to be worth talking to anyway.

>should have tried not being shit.
>your moma sucks dick
see? i can do it too

Red Hat uses GNOME Wayland as default.

I liked it, when I used it. But out of a dozen random distros, Cinnamon's DE was the only one I had crash or misbehave in the past six months.

Unfortunately, it's KDE-level bloat, without as much of the eyecandy or real polish.

I do like Mint* themes, color schemes and such though, to the point that I recreate them.

No decent filepicker and filemanager. Nemo is less worse than nautilus, but still shit.

>Xfce should have tried not being shit. Then maybe people would have contributed more to it.
literally only DE that isn't bloated heap of shit
it doesn't even look bad, has all needed functionalities that anyone would want
is solid and not driven by fads
it's a "slackware" of DEs

I could edit your screenshot, but I'm going to sleep very soon, so the first thing is margins between icons in both the menu and your desktop.

>Not tilling
fucking kek

i liek nome

I prefer xfce with blackbird.

The reason I use cinnamon is due to the amount clicks required for gnome classic.

When I click the start menu in gnome classic it will not allow me to type in the search field without performing another, unnecessary click into the search field.

I know it may sound petty, but that extra click is a deal breaker for me.

>CPU meter widget
>virtual desktop widget that shows a visual overview of what windows are open and where

Mate has both so I've been resisting going to Cinnamon

Replace the panel with Xfce panel or make it a 1:1 copy feature-wise.
Add the "custom actions" option in the task manager so I can add options when right clicking files like pngquant png files and check hashes.
Make it more lightweight.

I'd still rather use Xfce and have Xfce fix the bugs it has, abandon their meme media player, disk burner, and image viewer, and add a few more features like setting the default app for opening music/video files the way Cinnamon does it.

Xfce is literally the only usable DE aside from KDE.

honestly this to be desu

All the DEs are so interchangeable now. Even the shittiest, un-maintained ones have all the features you need.

If only they all shared the same fucking shortcuts.

cinnamon panel and applets are asscancer.
the tear free wm and file manager are the best (the only good) things about it.

For starters a decent icon theme and colour scheme, a bar that doesn't look like shit and has padding between elements.

Cinnamon is a joke

DEAD as shit.
Cinnamon is the only goof option.

Nothing. It's perfect as it is. It's by far the most polished DE for Linux. Nothing else is even close. After using GNOME for 2 years, I switched to Cinnamon last year and never looked back. It's superior in every which way possible.

>I personally use the aqua version of Mint's as I don't like green.
SAME! Can't stand green. This pis is my colors setup.

Also, Nemo >>>> any other FM.

Attached: 1549863899818.png (1151x753, 163K)