Just spent 5 hours installing gentoo and configuring this fucking kernel...

Just spent 5 hours installing gentoo and configuring this fucking kernel. When I now need to install a de you first need to install and configur xorg and to do that I need to re-configur the kernel. Why do I need to do all this shit to install a de. I just don't see why anyone would want to have gentoo as their main os. I do not see the benefits of gentoo and im om the brink of formatting the whole drive.

Attached: Row0px7n.png (512x512, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installer
github.com/asarubbo/gentoo-stage4/blob/master/stage4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Uninstall gentoo

>Why do I need to--
No, just fucking shut up and stop. This distro clearly isn't for you, and there are literally hundreds of other distros that don't make you do any of this.

You got memed gentoo is for autists. Just install windows 10 like a sane person would

>I do not see the benefits of gentoo
It's not for you. Uninstall it and use whatever distro you prefer.

>not getting kernel config and USEFLAGS right on the first try
lmao pleb

Attached: 1530461185984.jpg (265x239, 18K)

this might be more your speed

Attached: serveimage.png (1024x1024, 60K)

>I do not see the benefits of gentoo
Properly configuring USE flags and compiling all packages specific to your chipset will actually make a system that's noticeably faster on older machines.
On newer machines, you won't notice a difference though.

>only 5 hours
I'm impressed

Enjoy your meme LMFAO

>Properly configuring USE flags and compiling all packages specific to your chipset will actually make a system that's noticeably faster on older machines.
...After spending a month compiling a kernel with an Intel Core 2 Duo

All of the kernel settings needed to get a desktop environment are already enabled by default in the kernel menuconfig. The only thing you need to do is add xdm and dbus to run as default and install a DE.

This

I've still got one Core2Duo laptop machine on Gentoo and it doesn't even take an hour to compile the kernel.

Which still is admittedly a lot longer than it would be on a normal modern desktop computer, but also hardly prohibitive.

Imagine being this retarded. Use an Ubuntu or Fedora live USB to install gentoo.
If you are this dumb then just kys and end it now.

>and to do that I need to re-configur the kernel
Weren't you using the settings from the live cd's kernel or just setting them up right? Either way, what's the big deal even if, you just quickly do it.

> Why do I need to do all this shit to install a de
At the end of the day: Because that's actually how computers work.
Gentoo defaults to average settings on just about any of the profiles supported, it really basically doesn't do anything much extra.

The question is just if you want to work with Linux computers. There are many people who're best off on a binary distro or even just on Android.

> I do not see the benefits of gentoo
You haven't even set it up yet. Not saying it's the correct choice for you (or any potato computer where compiles are slow), but Gentoo is good.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installer
They have an installer on their wiki you retard

FYI, there's also this recent thing:
github.com/asarubbo/gentoo-stage4/blob/master/stage4

It's not for OP though, having this thing doesn't absolve you from understanding a few things about Gentoo that you'd have learned during the regular install.

Not as fast as Clear Linux.

If you use the modesetting video drivers it should be pre-selected in your kernel config

Bullshit, gnu/linux literally does not utilise any SIMD introduced past Nehalem.

Attached: .png (1190x906, 173K)

I think OP might be LARPing, it doesn't take a fucking genius to google "How to install Gentoo" and read through the wiki.

Install emacs, not a de, retar.

openrc is kino and having portage as an option for obscure software you cant find a binary for is awsome, but fuck compiling everything i dont have a fucking server farm and unlimited free electricity to be compiling everythong 24/7 im just a neet poorfag in a turd world cunt with a shitty c2d chinkpad and i would rather do more prpductive things like ricing or watching animu
/rant

You spelled Windows 7 wrong.

It doesn't even take a low end Ryzen 2400G to quite quickly compile Gentoo.

But sure, use a binary distro if you're on some ancient hellish poverty machine. It's not really a flaw with Gentoo, though.

>A month
Quit spewing bullshit faggot. genkernel took like an hour on my c2d E7400. My custom config would've taken less than that. If you don't like gentoo, fuck off, stop spreading FUD

...five hours? Dude it takes me less than 2 minutes. Wtf?

Fuck off Wolfgang