Who said flashing SD cards has to be an eyesore

>Who said flashing SD cards has to be an eyesore
>Made with JS, HTML, node.js and Electron
The absolute state of open source

Attached: gaylena.png (1238x1108, 105K)

I don't understand the problem. It works and cost minimal dev time. I am grateful for this free program.

Because it's 5MB when a 75kB dd does the same thing faster.

And? I don't want to use DD, make a typo, and erase my entire system.

>5MB
it's 107 MB actually

dd utterly BTFO!

maximum damage control engaged

5? More like 50.

Uhhh what?

what is wrong with rufus?

Doesn't work on linux.

nice juicero bro

This shit is the embodiment of everything wrong with modern software. Just use dd on Linux and Win32 Disk Imager on Windows.
>needing a full browser built into a fucking disk image flash tool

I don't want to have to remember command line arguments by heart when I can just use a GUI with one hand. I'm glad we have this.

Even if you wanna be a guifag, this electron garbage isn't the answer, it's insane unneeded bloat. I don't even mind that much about people wanting to use JS on the desktop, they can use libraries like Proton Native for that, but not Electron

Is this what Linux users have fucking come to? You use Linux but cannot remember "if" and "of" as dd arguments, so you flash SD cards using a browser? That's honestly pathetic, I thought you people were supposed to be at least somewhat computer savvy.

>list drives: $ lsblk
>$ dd if=source bs=1M > dest
>remember
>unironically using the mouse and thinking it's efficient
Just admit you're a tech illiterate GUI monkey.

Oh fuck how could I miss this

Attached: etcher pro, in case you want to pay for its uselessness.png (1381x2312, 560K)

Thanks, but I just use DD because I am not clinically retarded.

>touchscreen
why tho

FOR WHAT PURPOSE COULD THIS POSSIBLY SERVE

>bloat bloat bloat
Uh it works and you'll only use it once ever, then delete it.
>computer savvy
The operating system is there to serve me in every way I wish. If anything, we've reached a cornerstone on computer intuitionism. I'm glad i don't have to waste valuable brain real estate for someone's shitty slapped together terminal apps.
>lsblk
"Is black"?
>dd
Bra measuring app?
Fuck off I am not using that crap.

@70364624
This is very obvious bait.

>works for everyone,
>no more complicated install instructions
yeah, those software installations are always incredibly complicated, I gotta say, long live our JS, HTML, node.js, Electren overlords.

Attached: 1466830580807.gif (512x481, 646K)

Oh, and last time I simply dd'd the ubuntu .iso onto my flash drive, the UEFI didn't recognise it as bootable. Good riddance.

Just use Rufus, Win32 Disk Imager, squirrel USB or Easy2Boot...

Weak-minded buffoon.

@70364624
Trying too hard

Attached: 1500850851602.png (869x720, 428K)

dd is unnecessary. The real way is
cp filename.extension /dev/whatever

>70364624
You really are trying too hard now.

Attached: 1531172413838.png (625x626, 42K)

lots of proprietary devices use sd cards for storing their firmware/OS.

All those IoT devices, logging system (i.e. water, solar, tractors).

Much easier to make one SD and then flash a few dozen at once, hopefully the OSD on this device is for checksums.

Just learn to carefully type and learn dd.

Attached: 1537892844896.jpg (300x303, 16K)

You know someone got TOLD when he won't even dare quote you.

>dd
Found the NPCs.

>electron

Attached: 52FC9A39-EFD6-43B5-B12A-78B1AFD853C5.jpg (305x301, 10K)

Uh no? I ain't learning shit. Especially not when there's another way.

>I ain't learning shit.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Jesus fucking christ

>NPCs
found the redditor

Attached: 1548866750061_0.png (551x491, 261K)

>there are retards who use dd for anything other than data conversion or slicing a segment out of a binary.

The real kiddos are you guys.

Bait harder, daddy.

Attached: 468FYGuNQgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==.png (134x134, 3K)

diskpart on Widnows works...

Over 100
Don't make typos, brainlet

I'm pretty sure "if" is a flag and thus needs a hyphen.

ls block. As In block devices.

Attached: 1548100892102.png (928x1399, 93K)

"MAXIMUM DAMAGE CONTROL ENGAGED", YOU BLIND, ROTTEN, WEBDEV NIGGER.

>Don't make typos
Don't use terminal(ly ill) software.

Um, yes, sweetie. DD ships with the system utils and you learn it once and it's useful forever. Just read the manual.

No, that's incorrect.

Wrong.

>her crappy core duo laptop can't handle a single appimage
>useful forever
Just like remembering to google "USB boot program linux" instead.

How does it feel to have an IQ in the single digits?

Attached: 1519508698914.jpg (1129x1200, 118K)

It doesnt because dd uses it's own argument convention because legacy. The real answer is to just anything but dd to copy a file to a block/char device that supports write()

That's not how dd works

You're utterly wrong, so why comment? Read the man page.

Lol no.
Incorrect
If & of should be used

You tell me

This entire fucking thread what the fuck.

Attached: 1535139216718.png (527x409, 27K)

>shitty slapped together terminal apps
Kid, dd is older than you and I promise you it and the things it's used for are more important to humanity than any of the shit you call your worm.

>requiring an internet connection plus chromium browser suit to copy bytes to another drive
Imagine being this tech illiterate. Sad!

some shitty script called "bootiso" works wonders

>no u

Attached: salt.jpg (1315x1698, 133K)

>google
>boot program linux

Attached: 1536930464230.png (600x724, 420K)

>more important
As fucking if, go kiss some more ass. I'm not using legacy software through legacy interface.
>his mom's internet regime is really getting to him

This. You may or may not like the command line, but it’s efficient and very much universal. It can also be a good job skill

>imagine being this retarded

I can't even anymore.

lol the state of lincucks

>no arguments
Okay, I win then.

The fuck is this memeware?
I thought the standard on Windows was Rufus.

Attached: rufus_en.png (418x538, 12K)

No rufus on linux

>legacy interface
>terminal
Webdev cancer.

Attached: 1421348200392.jpg (375x281, 16K)

Who the fuck would even use a separate program on macOS or Linux in the first place? Just use dd lmao.

dd does not produce bootable drives but only copies data, using legacy terminal interface.

Yes it does you fucking retard.

Attached: baito dayo.png (480x480, 124K)

Lol what an idiot, there's more to it than copy pasting arbitrary files.

Attached: g.png (200x193, 30K)

Yeah as if.

>>more important
>As fucking if
Name a single thing you did in your life that is more important than dd, which is used to write blocks to devices on every server that powers the internet.

Damn dude relax, I said "I think" since that's the convention for every single other terminal software. It was entirely plausible.

Let's see, I attended college education and got a job at a malware research company, preventing said servers from being infected. And even if that were not the case, dd is just a crappy app that could be replaced with another that does the same job with the snap of my fingers.
As is the case with bootable USB apps where dd's crude and primitive interface is left in the dust.

>I helped make an anti-malware, this is more important than the standard unix block copying utility used for the last 3 decades.
Ok this has to be bait.

dd doesn't copy files, it copies bytes. It works lower level than the filesystem. Your system might not be able to read or mount the filesystem, but dd will still be able to copy that device.

Files are entirely made up of bytes so you're not saying anything productive or refuting my point.
>has to be bait.
Oops that's 2 in a row. Well since you have nothing left to say, I win this one.

>dd
bloat

>FOR WHAT PURPOSE COULD THIS POSSIBLY SERVE
Wanting to flash the same image to multiple SD cards.

Ok you really have zero idea what dd does, it's no wonder it upsets you.
You're not copying files, moron. Files are an abstraction below which dd works. Directories aren't files and they get copied. If you have an empty drive full of 0 bytes and no file system, it will still be copied byte per byte. You can copy data from drives where there is no partition, thus the concept of "file" doesn't even exist. You can copy encrypted partitions without even having the decryption key.
Now go ahead and ignore these 4 examples of non-file things dd can copy and keep telling me how this software you're completely ignorant about sucks compared to your glorified web browser.

I can't see anywhere on the Etcher page ability to create Image files from a drive. Does it even support it?

I'm pretty sure it's a gooey to just run # dd if=manjaro.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

>dd is just a crappy app that could be replaced with another that does the same job with the snap of my fingers
No, it can't. DD is useful for things like seeking output, skipping input, specifying block size, and conversion. If you want to backup raw data on disk from at offset, such as a luks header, you use dd. If you want to pipe some data, such as zeroes, to a program, you use dd. If you want to test fileystem or disk write performance, system cache performance, etc, you can just use dd. Good luck replacing a tried and proven program with your own. If you do, chances are it's just a dd frontend, and is slow and useless compared to CLI access. And enjoy wasting time reinventing the wheel on GUI bloat when it already exists as CLI program or short one-liner.

As if there's something to win. Stop qq-ing and learn dd instead of reinventing the wheel.

That's not the point, though.
And that's writing an image, not creating an image.

>dd
>app

Literally cancer.

No I thinkthe program only supports writing images.
Pro version might have more options.

wrong dipshit kiddo. dd literally depends on filesystem behavior to get fds of targets, whether they be a filesystem location or a fd to a block device or character device file which implements the appropriate read and write syscall. You're an utter moron. Please fuck right off.

just swap source and destination, brainlet

>Files are an abstraction below which dd works
Yes and no. DD runs in userland, and so when you read a drive, it's the kernel exposing it as a file to dd. A drive or partition is one big file as far as *unix is concerned, you can use pretty much any program in place of dd, such as cat /dev/sda > /dev/sdb. The shell will happily redirect the data to the block device sdb.

Specifying block size is not a positive and the only reason gnu dd defaults to 512B is because legacy. All the other gnu coreutils literally call the same methods dd uses and usually block at a more appropriate size of 128KiB on x86.

The rest of that bullshit is pretty niche at best. No one fucking uses the conv= option other than to ignore read error, rarely will it work either, and file slicing should probably be done in a tool designed to handle the binary file type you're mangling.

People who know what's up would use cp, cat, pv or literally anything that doesnt intentionally require you to rediscover optimal blocking parameters and has co fusing retarded argument style no one else uses in 2019.

That's not the point you stupid cunt.
I'm talking about features in Etcher, not dd. Kill yourself.

The Pro version is just that hardware writer.
Lacking the ability to read images is a serious feature issue as anyone looking for that functionality will just move to another application that offers both.
I can't imagine why they don't have it.

DISK
DESTROYER

False. Read the manual. You can copy shit outside a fs.