/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: KabyLake_RAMspeed2.png (604x620, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/cjTqFt
pcpartpicker.com/list/WsHJr6
amazon.com/ASUS-Wi-Fi-Express-Adapter-PCE-AC56/dp/B00JNA337K/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=wireless adapter asus&qid=1553992342&s=electronics&sr=1-8
amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B07J26BRZF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3BWELMBWVCY9T&psc=1
gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/destiny-2-test-gpu-cpu
pcpartpicker.com/list/RhjKr6
pcpartpicker.com/list/nDzsGG
bequiet.com/en/casefans/720
youtube.com/watch?v=5kGKkOWljAU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you use your PC for? Does it actually justify new, expensive and powerful parts?

>Intel

Attached: 1508001134355.png (640x438, 388K)

>AMD

Attached: 1502241802923.gif (200x200, 2.9M)

Does the i9 99k make any sense for 1440p gaymen.

It's overkill but if you have the money go for it.

If you don't significantly reduce settings and/or resolution you'll be heavily GPU bound in almost every game

Is it a meaningful upgrade over i7 9700?

>25% overclock
>3% performance gain

>40% faster memory
>13% performance gain

Remember that GHz is all that matters and only buy Intel.

not anymore so than the 9700k.

But if you've got the budget for it and you aren't sacrificing GPU performance or similar, then sure go for it.

1080 ti or 2080?

2080, with nivida you should always get the newest generation, it will be supported longer.

At the price you pay for it? No. If you're only using your computer for gaming then just get the i7 or i5. The 2700x is extremely great at its price point.

>always pay more always buy Nvidia

For games? It makes no different. Hyperthreading is just more insecurity.

I bought an A10 9700 instead of a Ryzen 3 2200G. How much did I fuck up?
I find it odd that it can't run a 10+ year old game better than my old computer (i3 2120+GT 630).
Is that APU really that bad?

I want to build a gaming machine. Primary goal is to maximize performance of minecraft with mods, and to also host a server for the family.
If it also runs something like Destiny 2 on medium settings with good performance, I wouldn't mind that one bit.
budget ~USD1000

Whichever you can find cheaper

>Is that APU really that bad?
lol yup

Attached: 2019-03-30 19_11_50.png (1450x1297, 276K)

The GPU of the APU is slightly better, but not much.

Attached: 2019-03-30 19_13_09.png (2022x273, 45K)

I'm upgrading from 2x4GB of DDR4 to 2x8GB of DDR4. Theoretically there's no reason to get rid of the current 2x4 set up when I get my 2x8 right? Just add to it and have 24GBs of RAM? Is it better to switch the 8GB sticks with the 4GB sticks so they're in the optimal postition if that's still a thing?

Attached: 1510680589123.jpg (1280x853, 126K)

What are AMD's best value GPUs?

no thats not good
you need even channels or you will choke one of the memory channels
just resell the old ram. its gonna be someone's salvation

Ah I see. I thought it might be, but I haven't kept up with anything PC related since my last build 3 years ago so I have no idea on most of this stuff anymore. Thanks user.

That picture is horrifying

How much can i ask for my build?

i7 6700k with Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 240 and Corsair SP 120 Performance Fans both used
Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Brand New
Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC Edition with warranty till june 2020 used
RAM 2x8gb Kingston Hyper X Fury 2666mhz Black used
EVGA 600w 80+ Bronze PSU used

Attached: 1537744055076fix.png (575x641, 40K)

Recently I played Prey at 165hz and the experience was great. I played fallout 4 at 120hz with an expanded distance rendering which was fantastic also. I also played the division at 160hz and that was fun too. i don't really have a justification for my purchases yet since i've been playing indie games like baba is you, but when Rage 2 and Borderlands 3 comes out, I'll play those at high refresh rates.

~1200 imo

vega 56 if you get it cheap (~300) or 580 for (~180

At least a grand.

570, 580.
590 if you want the 3rd game.
Vega56 when it goes on sale for

Only at 144Hz

No, best to get i7 8700K if you're going Intel

A whole lot. Those APUs are the old Bulldozer type arch

Read OP, numbnuts

I don't really know but I'd think it's fine

RX 570

I would say 900

>No, best to get i7 8700K if you're going Intel
no

Unless you're saving more than $50-70.

But if the price difference is less than that, you'd be retarded not to get the 9700k.

8 real cores is always better than 6 real cores.

In the FC5 bench where the Coffee 6c/6t i5s stutter, the Kaby 4c/8t i7s don't. At this point there's no data on on future performance, and right now both the i7 8700K and i7 9700K can max all games but the 8700K is cheaper

tl;dr: no reason to buy anything more than the i7 8700K

9700k has a soldered IHS whereas the 8700k, that plus 8 real cores instead of 6 cores and hyperthreading makes the 9700k a better buy in my opinion

>Bulldozer arch CPU
You fucked up. The socket for that kind of CPU is dead as well, so you'll have to replace the Mobo as well

Does anyone have experience with the EVGA 1080 TI FTW3?

Do you know if you can overclock it on the stock fan?

Also can you overclock your RAM to 3200 even if the ram is only 3000?

a soldered IHS that needs to be grinded to work properly and reapplied

literally use 8700k/x until 10th gen comes around

8700k is garbage, m8

Whoops.
How does this look?
pcpartpicker.com/list/cjTqFt

why does this reset on every restart? its pissing me off. i've tried the last 5 drivers leading up to current

Attached: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.png (979x321, 59K)

OverdriveNTool
Fuck wattman

What should I add to give new build decent bluetooth and wifi capabilities?

Did you actually hit "apply" at the top right?
It should only be resetting back to default if there was a crash.

Way overkill for minecraft, otherwise good. Stock cooler is fine for the R5 if you're not going to OC. If there's a specific game you want to play like Destiny 2, check benchmarks, keeping in mind that the benchmarks are at Ultra and it's better to play on High

So if I want to make a future proof computer that will last me for at least 5 years, should I get a 2080 over the 2070?

Attached: 1482424567768.jpg (400x400, 31K)

Thanks anons, some guy offered me 500 bucks.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WsHJr6
Which WNA should I get?

>5 years
2080 definitely. In 4 years the 980Ti went from top tier to low tier.

>wanting to "future proof" by buying gimmick overpriced card that can't even run its advertised gimmick feature worth a shit, and are the last cards made on the most out dated node ever in the history of manufacturing nodes
Dumbest post I've read all week on /pcbg/.
And there are A LOT of dumb posts on here.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/WsHJr6
>$320 for a 1070
>Loud Gigabyte 1070 at that.
>OEM windows
>$1540 for a PC that's much worse than my $1000 PC.
You're almost as retarded as the above guy. I mean not even close, but still REALLY retarded.

amazon.com/ASUS-Wi-Fi-Express-Adapter-PCE-AC56/dp/B00JNA337K/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=wireless adapter asus&qid=1553992342&s=electronics&sr=1-8 is pretty much the only WNA worth considering for 99% of cases.
They do make some slightly higher end and more expensive ones. But cheaper ones aren't any better than ones built into boards for basically $10 nor better than what you find in laptops.

Motherboard alone is worth like $200. Even if it's Intel garbage that only works for 2 'generations', it's still the best motherboard you can get for a 6700k/7700k.

Why are you so mean

Attached: 1457084569567.gif (500x250, 800K)

Don't get a CPU fan that's a scam amd stock is great don't get a evga psu get a refurbished 850w corsair from amazon theyre 40$ certified refurbished
>you can probably get this all under 1000 if you buy the monitor used
>Vega 56 is better benchmarks than a 1660ti and a similar $250ish price tag (fuck nvidia)
>RX 580 is a shit card but you can save 100$ if you ONLY want minecraft for now and don't mind upgrading in a few years (this is kind of smart since GPUs dramatically fall in price every few years as long as bitcoin fucks off, the gtx 660 I bought in 2014 cost 330$, now its 60$ and can still play pretty much everything)

Attached: 970.jpg (621x460, 128K)

I've just bought this:

amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B07J26BRZF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3BWELMBWVCY9T&psc=1

I guess it was relatively cheap, given the fact that where I live buying components separately is rather expensive.

What does the /pcbg/ think about this acquisition?

2 tb hdd or spend a bit more for a 1 tb ssd? already have another ssd for windows and stuff.

Ow. But thanks

impressive temps actually

if you got a SSD just get HDD and move around, unless your SSD is bloated

man if all user wants is Minecraft, RX570s are like $110-$130.
Even that is kind of excessive, isn't it? Minecraft ran fine when I had a 7970 and a 570 is like +50% over that.

What game? 156W is quite low.
Or are you setting a negative power limit modifier, or something? Afaik Vega 64 0% power limit is 210 watts. 56 is 170.
I'm guessing you have a -25% powerlimit set?

For the most part, I wouldn't recommend that. I'd set lower voltage and clocks so it's unlikely to ever reach that 200W+ at 0% limit.

I wouldn't use HDDs at all if you can. 1Tb SSDs are only like $90-$120 lately and dropping a bit more.

yes I put my values back in state 6+7 and hit apply every single time I restart my pc
i'll check that out

Resident evil 2 remake, 10 min standing in the lobby.
>Or are you setting a negative power limit modifier, or something?
You can see the max power right there. 159W at 1.212V

What is weird for me is how the 970 uses more voltage, yet produces less watts and heat than vega.

well, I guess I want a general-purpose gaming PC that will also play minecraft with mods at high performance. several builds I've done in the past have inexplicably choked on the cubes; I really don't have a very good grasp of performance levels of various hardware..
I could hold off on D2 and etc if a minecraft-specialized box ends up being substantially cheaper

watts = voltage*amps

I have an ASUS VP228 screen that's been "blinking" for like a week, a couple times per hour I'll get a black screen for a couple seconds, and then it comes back. I'm pretty sure it's the screen and not the GPU or something since it doesn't do that on my second screen, and if my sound is set to come from the screen, it goes quiet when it blinks like that as well.
Wat do? It's not even a year old, but on the website I ordered it from along with the rest of my computer I can't seem to find anything about warranty, I might just call on monday but if I can fix it myself I wouldn't mind doing that, my dad thinks it might be a capacitor issue but I don't know jackshit about screens (or much about hardware in general beyond the very basics)

i did it boys. I put together my rx580/2600x build. had to get creative with zip ties to install the case fans since I'm reusing some form my last build and things didn't line up perfectly, but as soon as windows 10 is done downloading comes the moment of truth, i probably fucked it up and it wont even boot or will fry my ssd or something

wat
a
shock

>2200G
>$80
>Both GPU and CPU can be overclocked on low-end hardware
>Buying a APU from a dead socket

You dun goofed bad

I was thinking about upgrading my desktop and was wondering, whats the best thing to do with your old parts?

I've always kept an old graphics card around just in case my current one goes out on me. It's been useful plenty of times.

You might end up having to send it to ASUS directly through their RMA

The build you're suggesting will be able to play D2 at over 100FPS on Ultra
gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/destiny-2-test-gpu-cpu
If you have the cash sitting around, go for it

huh, D2 has much lower requirements than I expected
I wonder how much cheaper a minecraft-focused build could be, how much CPU does that thread-hog really need

Destiny 2? That game is extremely well optimized.
I was running at 2560x1600 at 60fps minimum on an RX580. At 1080p, it's easy.

If you want to spend more, Vega56 goes on sale for under $300 sometimes. But if you're using a 60hz monitor, more than an RX580, 590, or 1660 is pointless.

Ok, here's my revision for a slightly less overpowered D2/minecraft machine
Do you think it would be up to driving that 75hz 1080p monitor properly?

I'm retarded, link
pcpartpicker.com/list/RhjKr6

pcpartpicker.com/list/nDzsGG
My budget is around $925, manually entered in prices are from microcenter.

This will be used with on Debian

PSU is overkill. Personally I'd get the 1660 instead of the 580

It's fine, but definitely get an R5 2600/X

The 2600x comes with a stock cooler, think that's good enough?

It's plenty if you're not overclocking

SHE LIVES
and i almost shit my pants when i saw Speccy's temps on my CPU. thank god I double checked with ryzen master, I was going to be fucking depressed if it was 90C at idle lmao but nope right about 35

Attached: 1370588149656.gif (400x300, 543K)

Just got a 2060 zotac twin fan and I get around 40C~ temps idle and 72C on full load, is this normal? (room temp 23ºC)

What the hell, for a second I thought the fans weren't working or something, my trusty 970 wouldn't get above 62ºC during full load in summer.

Also, best drivers to use?
I'm on the last ones (149.67) and I see some missing devices in device manager, it seems related to the usb-c port the card DOESN'T have, lol.

Attached: 1545644273245.gif (540x544, 76K)

Don't forget to enable XMP

bequiet.com/en/casefans/720
i have 2 of these (1 on rear + 1 on intake)
is that enough to OC an EVGA GTX 1660 w/ 2 fans?
does the precision auto OC do a good job?

does it make a really big difference?

I mean, yeah, depending on the RAM you got. If you're at 2933 or lower it's probably already running at the rated speed

Get a third fan and make it 1 rear 2 intake

oh fuck my ram is 3200 i should probably turn that shit on then huh. also the connection i have with the onboard wifi on my mobo is fucking horrible, im hoping the drivers off their website make it somewhat better because a 400kbs dl speed is unliveable

That faggy processor is AM4 for some reason but it's the old Bulldozer 28 nm architecture. I have no idea why Bristol Ridge exists. Still, that guy fucked up hard.

does anyone here have the phanteks ps600s case, is it easy to build in, how is easy is it to clean/replace the mesh

please respond.

Do I still need to be particular about memory speed/timings if I build a ryzen 1600 machine?

You have to connect the antennas and put them in a good spot. You did, right?

If you're on a B450 the QVL doesn't matter as much, but you still need fast RAM

3000-16 good enough?

literally oc the fans to max speed, I do that and I don't care to sound. I can buy those shitty fans on Ali for like 15 USD per trio and their default software never goes above 70% anyway
mite b time to update all that shit anyways. some gpu have a usb c port for vr stuff

don't belive in that
get a good heatsink, it will help with thermal throttle

It's been proven many times that the stock cooler doesn't throttle the CPU at stock and it's quiet as well

I would get 3000CL15

i did not. holy shit im a fucking brainlet. so i've had to use a laptop for the past 6 years due to extremely frequent travel so for some reason when the mobo manual said antennae i just assumed they were internal or some bullshit and totally didn't realize that cheap looking plastic dildo in the box was a no shit antennae.

at idle nothing throttles
with any workload any cpu will soon reach 75c, really don't know how it doesn't happen with amd

should I lock my fps to 120 on my 144hz display if I can only manage to get 110-130fps?

Attached: 1527350510038.gif (500x500, 275K)

You are honestly too stupid even for /pcbg/
youtube.com/watch?v=5kGKkOWljAU

i think 85 is the max temp it throttles down at right? so 72 is fine. Is this a noise problem or a feel good about a number problem?