Who the fuck uses vim or emacs in [current year]?

Who the fuck uses vim or emacs in [current year]?

I feel like the people using these text editors are purposefully making things more difficult for themselves in order to feel cool. They are so unintuitive that you need to spend months learning every quirk and key combination in order to be able to have thousands of features that you will never use.

If I had no graphical session, I would use something simple like nano or micro. I have no time to spend learning retarded key shortcuts.

Attached: emacs-vim-icons.png (471x381, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/LevelbossMike/vim_shortcut_wallpaper
github.com/froggey/Mezzano
youtu.be/7lmCu8wz8ro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>If I had no graphical session, I would use something simple like nano or micro. I have no time to spend learning retarded key shortcuts.

You can like pressing 'i' to edit text and remembering :w means save and :q means quit is at all intensive

>He's never had to fix stuff on the fly in production in large quantities
have fun doing that in nano i guess

THAT IS SO STUPID WHY WOULD YOU WASTE YOUR TIME REMEMBERING THAT.

And why would someone like op use an editor in which you have to specify an "insert" mode in order to write something? It's uncomfortable.

Sounds like my coworkers. Why you possibly spend a little time now learning a tool that will save you a lot of time of the decades of use when you can just use an easy slow tool?

It's all LARPers, every serious programmer uses xcode or VS code

spot on

kek

Emacs has lisp. Automatically everything else is shit.

I use vim. It's fun, I work faster than I ever have in any other text editor, and I like to write custom settings/behavior for it. It's non-intrusive and open to customization, which is why I like it. It never feels like it's out of my control

nano? its even worse than vim when trying to start

Does your text editor have a built in doctor???
I thought not. Dismissed.

3 keystrokes. You're not memorizing random keys. Every command or command sequence in vim is phrased like an abbreviated sentence, so you can do very powerful operations by understanding this text system instead of sifting through manuals, online tutorials, and GUI elements to do only half of your job.

>knowing things consumes time

Sounds like a serious case of sour grapes for OP.

because it's not append mode, duh

macvim with mouse support is masterrace though

emacs: I heard you like operating systems so we put a lisp REPL, email client, web browser, and usenet reader in your text editor

my coworker says the same thing about regular expressions. he's convinced the time it takes to learn sed is better spent opening each file in an ide and using the search and replace function. the flaw in his argument is that i learned sed on my own time for the fun of it, so it cost the company nothing.
i'm a wrecking ball with emacs because i wanted to be good at something, not because i was told to.
the moral of the story is: gg, faggot.

So you need to learn a new language to edit text.

vi commands are so easy once you learn the 5 arbitrary commands you use

text transformations are nice, as is the regex support on the command prompt

I can't be arsed to :tabnew so I just drag and drop files into the macvim window

dunno why everyone gets so butthurt over text editors. you literally use them to edit text. but everyone seems to need a web browser that edits text or a text editor that browses the web

>be emacs user
>need to delete a whole paragraph of text
>go to last character of paragraph and select
>go to first character and delete
>never once touched the mouse

>be literally any other text editor user
>have to move my mouse to the last character
>accidentally miss one character and have to reselect
>click and drag
>drag to the first character
>press backspace

I mean, it took me about 2 months to adjust, and then I've never gone back. To do the basic text functions, it took a few days to get used to. To do advanced operations, that took a little while. You can get by with the functionality of any GUI based text editor literally just knowing commands how to open, save, delete, traverse lines/pages of text, and copypasta. The rest is really nice sugar

>operating system
Emacs is a pathetic shadow of a lisp operating system. Eat shit.

lol

So you need to learn a new language to access data on a database.

>>be emacs user
>>need to delete a whole paragraph of text
>>go to last character of paragraph and select
>>go to first character and delete
>>never once touched the mouse
You don't know it's this easy in vi as well?

The regex support was what won me over. Came really handy when I was writing my thread library. Vim is so small yet so powerful, and it only cost me like 5-6 weeks of a learning curve in order to save countless ours of headaches

>the flaw in his argument is that i learned sed on my own time for the fun of it, so it cost the company nothing.
Are you seriously evaluating your activities based on a cost/benefit analysis on behalf of the company.

can you recommend a modern lisp OS that I can play with in a VM? desu I love the idea of opening a terminal and it's lisp, and all the coreutils are lisp

di}

That's it... Done..

retard

I like this message because it highlights the lunacy of these text editors' users. You talk about the hard option like if it was the easy option, and you autistically imagine how hard it would be for someone to just use the mouse.

You guys are nuts.

The difference between good programmers and bad programmers right there. Good programmers actually want to learn how to new things and practice in their free time. People like OP on the other hand just care about getting something done with no regard for doing things well. Which is why it takes them 10x longer to do anything. It’s not just the text editor but also messy unmaintainable code that takes a lot of effort to make even minor changes to. People who don’t like what they’re doing are bound to suck at it.

yeah I just set pic related as my wallpaper for a couple weeks, now I just use vim and cycle the default mac wallpapers.

github.com/LevelbossMike/vim_shortcut_wallpaper

if I need some task I search it, "okay gu+directional=make lowercase." good, now I know that and use it.

people who work with computers are bitching ITT about having to learn some syntax, as if that's not part of their job.

Attached: vim-shortcuts_2560x1600.png (2560x1600, 226K)

macvim delete paragraph: click 3 times and press 'x'

It’s because it’s all muscle memory. It sounds hard when you describe it but takes 0 effort to actually do. When you get good at it you’ll understand why we talk shit about using the mouse

Most programmers use IDEs.

>:w means save
or you know "write". almost forgot i was on Jow Forums there for a sec.

:wq means wragequit

It's actually dip to delete a paragraph.

do you think it really matters?

It's not hard, it's just slow.

Yeah because then it’s easy to remember.

github.com/froggey/Mezzano

In vs you can do that without using the mouse.

No you can't

based, thanks

I saw this commit message and knew it was meant to be

"The Nyancat telnet server has been shut down"

There really isn't anything autohotkey can't do faster, you can program that with a combination like alt+pd, to select current paragraph and delete it, it takes you 0.010 seconds to press that combination and it works in any editor.

of course you can you just hold shift

Because old people refuse to change their habits.
And some young people are stupid enough to fall for their memes.

Ah paragraph, I read that as line.

>you just hold shift

Attached: why are we still here.jpg (250x292, 19K)

The best is z for redrawing the screen.
Clever, memorable, and ergonomic.

>Who the fuck uses vim or emacs in [current year]?
Its a meme like install gentoo, but yep there are people that fell for it. Most realize that they got memed and stop but some don't and rationalize that the tediousness is good. Just snicker and try to guess which of the above is shitposting and which is being unironically serious.

Hijacking the thread to ask something to Emacs friends:
I export my org-mode files to html quite often.
Do you have a stylesheet that looks like the github README pages?
Ideally would display nicely on mobile too.
(The goal is to write brainlet tier training guides with embedded code, screenshot images and lengthy text and bullet lists)

I've had nothing but fun using vim. It's lightweight and portable. It's easy to keep my libraries up on github for custom stuff on github so that if I need to work on any other machine (remotely or otherwise), it's easy to preserve my settings/preferences

>I have no time to spend learning retarded key shortcuts.
>he posted on Jow Forums

Attached: tom cruise.jpg (500x333, 55K)

>Most realize that they got memed and stop but some don't and rationalize that the tediousness is good.
If other people are doing something you find tedious and convoluted, it's not because they are brainwashed, it's because you are retarded.

>itt VsCode/sublime zoomer or atom soibois

No that's :q!

Are you insane? In what world would using the mouse and backspace take you more time than navigating through the text file with fucking arrow keys and typing commands?

Terrible example

>lightweight
If you can't open notepad you should get a better computer

The mouse ALWAYS takes longer, because you have to move a hand off the keys. This is why hot keys are sometimes called shortcuts. They're faster.

Attached: 1447328793439.jpg (1280x1110, 238K)

>notepad
It can't even handle Unix style newlines.

But shortcuts are one key press, when you navigate through a file you need several presses.

Notepad is more lightweight than vim. Literally just a built-in edit control hooked up to some built-in dialog boxes.

Yes, but several key presses is still faster than using the mouse. Keyboard chords reduce the amount of keys required even more.

Moving your hands from the home-row is a burden, I don't understand how people can not use VIM.

>Who the fuck uses vim or emacs in [current year]?
Professionals.
youtu.be/7lmCu8wz8ro

There were a couple people on my last team who said things like "why would you use Vim"? Yet I was the one doing refactoring in an hour that other people said would take them a few days. Anyone who has actually seen me edit text mentions how unbelievably fast I am. I have yet to have anyone actually see me use Vim think I am slow. Vim is also not hard to learn. It's just one of many languages I speak. Modern text editors have coddled modern users in a literally retardedly easy to use interface, your conditioning in that system makes it seem harder than it really is, and if you edit text all day it's worth learning properly.

in vim you don't use arrow keys you retard, you use magic shortcuts that a double digit iq persion like you is unable to comprehend.

>presses h 10 times instead of 0t# to get to the start of a comment
small brain

>not just F# or T#
small brain

He was trying to get to the space before the comment. So 0t# works just as well as F#h

>Qanons

You're coping, trying to rationalize. Its like that example above about deleting paragraphs (not common at all) its ctrl+page down then delete and half of the time I'm pressing less keys because I don't have to switch modes. But (You) and Spergy McRationalization has to act like everyone has Parkinson's when using a mouse.

pajeet pls. if you haven't moved out of a daily coding at your job in 5 years, you deserve vs code. as for my own projects, i don't write in anything higher than C so I don't need an IDE

We get it, your Electron mess of an editor can do regex search-and-replace too, but it'll will never come close to Vim or Emacs if you can't write macros on-the-fly with it. Macros are a necessity for productivity and automation in editing code and it boggles my mind that after all these years, Vim and Emacs are the only editors that support creating macros on-the-fly.

Then again, most programmers nowadays are glorified code monkeys who are happy to just click their way through editing code and can't handle learning how to configure Webpack, let alone learning advanced features to increase their productivity with their main tool (the text editor).

are you using vim to write paragraphs of text? it's a programmers(tm) editor(tm). why the fuck would you want to delete and write paragraphs in vim? maybe you're using a hammer when you need a vacuum?

That's just one example of editing text. If that's as complex as your text editing becomes, clearly you don't need to learn essentially a programming language that is designed to making complex edits to text repeatable. If instead you'd like to sit here comparing more examples of how Vim users and non-Vim users edit text in extremely specific situations you will be here a long time. I have compared my own way of editing text with my peers in many pair programming sessions, and it has reaffirmed my use of Vim. You, however, seem to have never actually encountered someone who is good at Vim.

I use vim it’s great but besides using it for latex a “paragraph” as far as vim is concerned is a bunch of lines without a blank line between them. There’s plenty of times to delete that chunk of code that didn’t work great that I specifically wrote as a “paragraph” so I could delete/comment out in a key combo

I just moved to Emacs because there is no competition. It can replace a simple text editor or any IDE.

Attached: Neil_Stephenson_on_Emacs.jpg (1920x1080, 231K)

beautiful, brought a tear to my eye

Attached: manga-girl-thumbs-up-min.jpg (238x211, 12K)

put the cursor from the beginning line
dG

It's context agnostic.

If anything vim is overkill for most tasks and emacs ever more so. But, if you're the kind of person that likes to dig deep into things, there's 30+ years of programming knowledge, and usefulness in these editors.

I know how to do it I’m just saying there are plenty of times to need to delete a paragraph. Not that that’s how I would do it. I would ise dG if it’s the last part of the file but not dG, for a paragraph just d{.

Only thing I hate about vim is how I have to go out of my way to get plugins to check syntax, spellcheck, or whatever IDE features. Also that ctrl+e/y isn't something more ergonomic.

What’s difficult about spellcheck? And just add your own keybinding for ctrl-e. That’s kind of the point. You have control to make things you use often easier to hit.

I disliked that it didn't have the squiggly red line for errors and squiggly green lines for grammar and such. This is for writing a shitty dev blog.
The problem is that I'm worried about overwriting other keybindings, also not sure if it's common to rebind it and what people usually rebind it to.

What about VIM?

You can turn on spellcheck with set spell but I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for. As for not wanting to overwrite other keybindings thats what leader keys for. You can set leader key to whatever you want (by default it’s ‘\’ but I like using space since it’s easy to hit) then add keybindings as whatev and it won’t overwrite any default keybindings. Doesn’t matter if it’s common to rebind or not if you use it a lot then rebind it to something easier.

Can someone give some concrete examples of hardcore vimming? Like wtf are you guys working on that you need such complicated tooling? Typing speed is pretty much never a limiting factor for me in coding.

> Typing speed is pretty much never a limiting factor
try making something in java

It’s not typing speed it’s quickly getting to a point where you can start typing. Like moving to a specific line of code/definition/function/etc deleting/changing/copying a line or bunch of lines. As mentioned before it sounds harder than just using the mouse but in a l couple weeks once you get used to it you’ll see it is infact much quicker and less effort to use vim keybindings. In short these replace the need to select text or click with the mouse which is slower than you realize until you get used to a better way of doing it

>I feel like the people using these text editors are purposefully making things more difficult for themselves in order to feel cool.
I started using vim in 1998. I still use it today because that's what I know best. Am I doing this to feel cool? No... widen your horizon and stop thinking everyone's a jackass like you are.

I've used Java for years. I fail to see how vim would help here.

take this line of text:
foobar = function(thing, 'example', :otherstuff)

let's say you wanted to change 'example' to "example". from single quotes to double quotes. in vim, if you have the surround plugin (most people do), there's a command for that: cs'"

About 10% of devs where I work.
Most of them got there due to historical circumstances, but prefer them over intellij.
They're only unintuitive because you didn't grow up using their shortcuts and commands and maybe mnemonic commands aren't for you.

They type of monkey who needs a "framework" for everyhing

>tx
hell yeah
now i can do dt; to delete the rest of the line not including semicolon

There's no excuse not to learn vi when it's in every single distro bar none