/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1435148148730.jpg (288x288, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fglt.nl/guides/visual-novels-on-gnu-linux.html#section-id-21
devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions/
youtube.com/watch?v=6j2DioNmqL0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

post your beard and your distro

Is askubuntu the worst fucking Linux help site in existence? In the past two years I've posted like 10 questions there whenever I thought that it wouldn't be worth asking Jow Forums, and they've only answered me once. Most of my questions get 300 views and no answers.

It's almost pushing me over the edge in to Debian just so I can ask questions on a less plebeian website, get a less broken DE, and be able to use shit like the Arch Wiki (Ubuntu has a lot of stupidly specific shit).

Trying to build llvm with polly support.
I've added
-DLLVM_EXTERNAL_POLLY_SOURCE_DIR:PATH="polly"

and
-DLINK_POLLY_INTO_TOOLS:BOOL=ON

to the cmake options for llvm and it accepts it but when i go to use
CFLAGS="-mllvm polly"

on any program it says it cannot flnd the option "-polly" and errors out.

Why are you reposting this?

Does anyone run GuixSD on bare metal as their daily driver? How is it?

Attached: 1524962135111.gif (87x100, 29K)

How can I edit files in vim via double ssh? (I need to ssh to one server, and then ssh from there to another one in order to access the file).

Parabola GNU+Linux-Libre

Attached: beard.jpg (943x417, 229K)

Finally solved this my self.
/dev/sr1

Attached: lolpot3.png (1280x2084, 511K)

In debian-based distros, when you type the command of a non installed package and get this message:
Command 'urxvt' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install rxvt-unicode

Is there a shortcut to entering that command? Possibly a location where it's stored that I can retrieve? Or do I just have to copy and paste it.

Is highlighting it and middle-clicking not fast enough?

>gray
>parabola
based and graybearded

The more you Linux, the more you GNU.

I figured you had to had to manually ctrl-c + ctrl-v. But I'd prefer a way without mouse.

Don't think I've ever middle clicked anything much. Good to know.

>Not the guy you were replying to

Parabola is top tier and underrated as fuck. IMHO the only good FSF approved distro.

Anyone tried PureOS?

Debian's Social Contract states the goal of making Debian entirely free software, and Debian conscientiously keeps nonfree software out of the official Debian system. However, Debian also provides a repository of nonfree software. According to the project, this software is “not part of the Debian system,” but the repository is hosted on many of the project's main servers, and people can readily find these nonfree packages by browsing Debian's online package database and its wiki.
There is also a “contrib” repository; its packages are free, but some of them exist to load separately distributed proprietary programs. This too is not thoroughly separated from the main Debian distribution.
Debian is the only common non-endorsed distribution to keep nonfree blobs out of its main distribution. However, the problem partly remains. The nonfree firmware files live in Debian's nonfree repository, which is referenced in the documentation on debian.org, and the installer in some cases recommends them for the peripherals on the machine.
Debian's wiki includes pages about installing nonfree firmware.
Instead of this non-free distro, use gNewSense or PureOS, forks of Debian.

GuixSD is neat too, but a bit more hacker oriented.

i guess guixsd and nixos are the future
i also guess people will prefer nixos due to systemd and nonfree packages

Attached: 1553910712026.png (645x773, 11K)

Asking for help on an issue I had last thread.

So far I've tried
-chmod +x * on usr/local/libexec/i3blocks and the /.config one I was using normally
-set the paths in i3blocks config AND i3 config to every imaginable path and option. Defaults and custom
-installed all applications need for the scripts to work

Can't think of anything else but reinstalling and giving up if no change. I hate giving up though. I've been going back and fourth with a friend on teamspeak and he doesn't get it at all and he's pretty big brained about this stuff.

pinentry is giving me this error on trying to open a tomb.
>Pinentry error: Permission
>User aborted password dialog.
any clues as to what permission it would be talking about?

I added export PATH=~/.scripts/:$PATH to my .bashrc but it doesn't work on reboot. I'm also using zsh, do I need to put it there?

Trisquel is FSF Debian made for boomers, I thought it was unusable junk
PureOS is the same, but they put more effort into making it look pretty

Can't help you there, sorry.
besides apt purging and reinstalling i3blocks I've got nothing. If you want a simple alternative I'd suggest i3status.
Worth a shot, I have it in my .bash_profile (but I only use bash)

>to my .bashrc
>I'm also using zsh
One guess

crux, I dare not to post my facial hair

export PATH="${PATH}:${HOME}/.scripts/"

Attached: 1495990743891.gif (224x224, 787K)

>instead of this widely used super popular distro that can be installed with free software only, use this little fork instead. It does the exact same thing but nobody will recognize your distro name.
Cool it, lady

pls no bully. I'm just reading guides on the arch wiki.

I'll try this out, thanks.

Just installed fedora on my vaio
Anything else needed for powersaving other than tuned and powertop?

What convinced you to make such a daring decision?

I don't understand

.zshrc

Are there any LaTeX modes in emacs that hold your hand ?

Attached: 1528277137672.png (758x631, 47K)

what's wrong with auctex? What do you mean by hold hand?

im high as fuck
ama

>they say gnome 3.32 is good perf
>install arch/gnome on 4GB RAM chromebook
>OOM freezing shit
>install systemd-swap
>set vm.swappiness to 2
>it's actually usable
bretty neet. Definitly like the gnome over the teary non-wayland shit I'd have to rice to get nice

Attached: 1518680462045.jpg (1440x1440, 213K)

What does the universe expand into?

What's your favourite linux related thing to do high?

What is your favorite GNU distribution?

Why can't we modify time the same way we can modify space (walking somewhere)?

Do I own a body or is the body what I am?

can someone explain when DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) should be used? for example with mpv there's a use flag for drm, should I have it enabled if I want to use GPU hardware rendering?

I'm trying to set up my virtual machine of Wine to play some visual novels, but I can't get the cutscenes/openings to play , I'm using this guide.

fglt.nl/guides/visual-novels-on-gnu-linux.html#section-id-21

I'm currently trying with Dies irae ~Amantes amentes~, I had the exact same set up on Void and it the cutscenes/opening scenes would play normally, but I recently moved to Artix and it doesn't work anymore, I think I'm missing Linux dependencies, I have ffdshow, LAVfilters, quartz, and still won't work, not only with this game but almost every game in general, so what do you guys recommend?

TL;DR: How to play (decode) MPGE1/Any type of video with Wine? Do you need any special dependency? Pic related, same vn running on Void, opening plays.

Attached: scrot_2019-01-23-13:05:04_1284x743.png (1284x743, 208K)

>someone actually read OP and even clocked a link there
i like you

Eh, actually I've using this guide to set up my VN virutal machine for years now, I think, sadly I don't think they update their blog anymore, I haven't seen new entries.

yeah, recently even the SSL cert died
site needs some more love

Monitoring this, ended the grisaia series by just disabling the movies recently.

ended up playing*

So dumb question. Upgrading gentoo kernel right now, I have a few different kernel sources. What is the r1 at the end of the kernel name signify? Newest one is 4.19.27-gentoo-r1, whereas the others don't have an r1 at the end.

means the ebuild was updated
devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions/

tlp. Works great on Fedora

So if I'm understanding right, there was a gentoo-sources for 4.19.27 but then the ebuild was updated so was named 4.19.27-r1 to differentiate the two?

How do I into GPG?

Can someone please fucking explain to me why my w520 refuses to boot with xubuntu 18.04? I'm using discrete grafics mode in BIOS, if that matters. I'm using LUKS.

I get an endless blackscreen after entering my LUKS password

This is so gay and AIDS and retarded, is it blueman? I dont use any AIDS blue tooth shit, I have it all disabled in IO bios options

anyone else enable PIE in your kernel?

also
Skillette™, the best a woman can get.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo-9.jpg (1000x1000, 64K)

Maybe use a wrapper program. Sorry don't have suggestions on any.

>T430 with SSD
>Install MX Linux
>it boots ridiculously fast
>Install KDE Neon
>it boots even faster

That seems backwards.

What NetworkManager tray applet can I install on Debian with i3 and no DE?

network-manager-gnome breaks because there's no notification server

now try void

Oh, and nm-tray works, but it won't show an icon on i3bar...

QSystemTrayIcon::setVisible: No Icon set

I don't need my machine to go at mach 1, I'm fine with power-on to desktop in 26 seconds.

If you're using optimus laptops it's better to stick with Windows, or switch to Intel gpu only in bios

What would you recommend if I want to download videos automatically using youtube-dl through a RSS feed?

>26 seconds

That's still a long time...

I did some googling and found out 18.04.X specifically is fucked up, upgrading to 18.10 fixed it. Some kernel bullshit or something.

only posting this in case someone else has this issue

That's because ubuntu is the only distro that just werks with optimus through its in-house nvidia-prime package; only disadvantage is that both graphics cards gets turned on all the time while the dGPU is active.
In 18.10 it's a simple login/logout to switch system-wide between the cards while in 18.04 it's a full reboot.
I'm using a W530, that's how it works when using ubuntu a few months back

How is multi-monitor support in LXQt? Does everything work fine even with different resolution monitors?

how do i download pertains of videos with youtube-dl? i just want the first 12 seconds of youtube.com/watch?v=6j2DioNmqL0
or should i download and trim with ffmpeg

youtube-dl youtube.com/watch?v=6j2DioNmqL0 --postprocessor-args "-ss START -t 12"
replace START with the start time, either in seconds, or formatted like 00:01:10

oops, accidentally copied the link. So it should probably be:
youtube-dl youtube.com/watch?v=6j2DioNmqL0 --postprocessor-args "-ss 0 -t 12"

oh lol, nevermind
Jow Forums is just inserting the even in code blocks. That's kind of dumb

hello friends
What's the best way of having shared media libraries between windows and a linux distro?
I already have a separate NTFS partition on my drive for libraries on Windows.
What I was thinking is have gahnoo linucks point to those directories as default for photos and music. Does reading and writing to NTFS cause any issues or is that a meme?

Posted it near the end of the thread and didn't get much back.

If you git gud, then you don't need to resort to askubuntu.

So you're arguing that all of the good people have migrated? Yeah, I can believe that.

I'm overwriting data on my HDD with `dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdb1` and it is so god damn slow that it would take ~600 hours for the complete 2 TB drive. Is there any way to speed this up?

Attached: 0.jpg (500x500, 16K)

Arch and Debian docs are good enough for Ubuntu. Ubuntu's own docs are trash. Old hands will read man.

urandom or zero are better for this, or dban

Would if I could, but stuff like their shitty DE is unique.

does it make sense to run tmux automatically on terminal startup?

Attached: 1452454103127.jpg (1000x1300, 463K)

Also, would there be any easy way to sync waterfox profiles between windows and xubuntu without signing in to firefox sync? I was thinking of setting up two way rsync between the windows and xubuntu waterfox profile folders and having them sync on startup.

My machine boots in 3 seconds to cli and 3 more to log in and start X. Is an old thinkpad. My guess you can do better.

what did he mean by this?

Attached: 1538130571652.png (2214x789, 103K)

Too early in the morning to post, I'll get to go breakfast and leave the thread now.

What's an okay distro for dual booting that isn't slow as shit? Mint genuinely took 4 minutes to boot up last time I used it.

How do I open programs without attaching process to the terminal? For example, I want to open a video with mpv, but normally mpv would close when I close the terminal.

Debian (Devuan), Void, Gentoo. But try something like Xubuntu or Lubuntu first. Maybe it feels slow because of DE.

mpv ./myFile &

if that doesn't work and you want to completely detach it from the terminal you need
mpv ./myFile &> /dev/null & disown

I have a shortcut in .inputrc to type out "&>/dev/null&disown". Otherwise it'd be too much of a hassle since some programs still shut down with only "&", and the stdout still gets printed in the terminal.

You can also add setsid to the mix to make it an entirely separate process from the terminal.

This

I support what says

>mpv ./myFile &> /dev/null & disown
Thank you.
>.inputrc to type out "&>/dev/null&disown"
Can you expain how it works? Or maybe just show the exact line you put there.

Sure, I have this line in my .inputrc:
"§": "&>/dev/null&disown"

The "§" key is the key left of 1 in my keyboard and I absolutely never use it when writing into the terminal. Still, would probably be smarter to use a key combo instead of this, you can use some other key.

I've just uninstalled Gnome. What basic programs should I go with for i3?

In particular, is there anything better than eog for browsing image galleries and keeping a consistent automatic resize?

I'm trying out ranger as a file manager, but I've had no luck getting image previews to work. (w3m and ffmpegthumbnailer installed, ranger configs copied and uncommented several times over, I have no idea at this point and just want to lie down and/or reinstall nautilus)

There's no substantive answer to this question. If you always use tmux and want it autostarted, then do that. Otherwise don't.

Attached: 1552657443135.jpg (470x313, 28K)

My headphones jack is a bit fucked and Ubuntu won't stop making it stutter randomly, its connection is always flickering. I read a meme on the interwebz that recommended modifying a line in pulseaudio, so I did, and Ubuntu won't stop freezing after a few seconds. After a few attempts I managed to sudo apt remove pulseaudio, after a while it froze again. Also, audio didn't stop working.
Did I fuck up? Is pulseaudio actually fine and should I stop being a faggot and get new headphones?
I plan on entering with nomodeset because I can't help but suspect this might be another drivers issue with Nvidia but it's strange because I already installed those drivers.

Attached: __Loss_Improved___by_SvenFletcher.png (680x456, 539K)

I want to creat a disk image of a 120GB HDD from my ps3 which has some games and the Ps3 SO.

I'm doing it thru GDisks in Ubuntu 18.04. So first, i try to use one of the NTFS partitons i have in my systems. No luck, it seems like it mounts them in read only. Try to change that with chown and other methods, no luck.

I make a new ext4 229GB partition in order to save it there. Same problem. Read only, chown supposedly changes the owner but no luck at all, cannot even make a new folder in that disk.

We're talking about 2 diferent disks, btw. The NTFS is a 1TB 2.5" interna while the other is a 500GB 3.5" internal

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-31 15-33-33.png (795x742, 92K)

tmux is actually very useful because of its copy mode so I think I'll do that although I don't use it for anything else too often since I already am using a tiling wm and tabbed (suckless termnial tabbing thing)
now I'll have tmux inside urxvt inside tabbed
I could use urxvtd+urxvtc now to reduce bloat in my pstree I suppose

Attached: 1483757689760.png (355x628, 250K)

I'm setting up ttrss on my webserver and I need a feed that gets updated frequently so I see if it's working. Or is there a way to fetch the last 10 articles?