Switched from old Nvidia to new AMD GPU

>switched from old Nvidia to new AMD GPU
>purged Nvidia proprietary and then installed Mesa drivers with 4.19 backport kernel because old ones doesn't support Polaris cards
>somehow that fucked up my gdm3 on Debian stretch, screen stucks at systemd boot messages, nothing works
>Tried so many shit installing and reinstalling gdm and gnome desktop, nothing works
>Last hope is to switch stretch repos to buster and pull out apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade but honestly don't have any believe that this will work
>Now I have Debian 10 completely working after fucking distro update

That's why Debian is the best distro, I've never seen any distro in my life that can pull out successful distro upgrade to new version.

Attached: 5847f297cef1014c0b5e486c.png (416x512, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_9_64-bit_with_Zoneminder_1.30.4_the_Easy_Way
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I use debian . I have for 14 years now. I just got an update and now left click doesn't work on the desktop or home. you have to right click and choose an option. what a turd

If you were on Windows, you'd never have to worry about those things and you could adjust mouse scroll speed.

I have an ip cam. last week I got an update and vlc player erred before the video would load. fix today but sometimes they leave these stupid bugs you years. debian has always been a little primitive but the last 5 years it's really starting to suck

debian 9 and mate desktop.
I'm gonna try ubuntu and mate and see if it sucks and much when //i get my new ssd

If you had used Arch you could have just done this without anything breaking. Maybe you should make a functional operating system before patting yourself on the back for fixing your scrap heap.

twitter and periscope freezes with chromium starting last month. can't remember the screw up on firefox at this moment.
what a turd

And don't try to say I'm wrong when I have switched GPU drivers before. All I did was install xf86-video-amdgpu and set a kernel parameter for my specific GPU and it just worked. This was something I did when I imaged Arch on an AMD APU laptop from a laptop that had Nvidia Optimus on it.

instead of shut down choose suspend. doesn't work

> I've never seen any distro in my life that can pull out successful distro upgrade to new version
Ubuntu fails on me with this, heard CentOS 6 to 7 could work, though, and so 7 to 8. You should test it if you're interested.
> If you had used Arch
...You would know it's a rolling release and therefore the criteria of "upgrading to a newer release" doesn't apply there.

maybe youre retarted or maybe debian is shit but everything i had to do was remove nvidia blobs and plug-in new card.

Fedora just werks™

you did something wrong.
4.19 _has_ support for polaris.
4.19 is a late 2018 release, the 500 polaris is early 2017.
check your mesa and other shit.

>Fedora just werks™
ohh.. yeah, we know how this coprerate shit works.
install fedora back in the days, not even mp3 decoder available... when you are a corporate cuck you have to obey to your overlords.
also thank you for your free quality control. we love our beta cuck testers

debian is just shit

Yes Windows Updates are so seamless. Oh right half my document folder was nuked once and every update that XBOX shit is locking my games to 75hz vsync. Uninstalled that every update before going with debian.

But it's so good amirite

>I've never seen any distro in my life that can pull out successful distro upgrade to new version.
How can Debian dist-upgrade be so smooth and Ubuntu such garbage?
BTW, Fedora is also good at this.

Daily reminder that AMD and NVidia drivers on Linux still are an absolute shitshow.

GDM has always been a buggy mess for me. I usually just ditch it and just use startx.

Attached: 1550669877761.png (838x1198, 908K)

>debian stable

Attached: 1530417390681.png (189x164, 50K)

>anime
cringe

nice argument dude.

amd drivers work out of the box.
otoh my dell preSHITsion with the quadro shit that it was shipped with, can't get X to work after each kernel upgrade... and by upgrade I mean moving from 4.19.0-2 no 4.19.0-4 on debian testing.
I have my main rig at home upgraded since 2014 without any format and my kavery JUST FUCKING WORKS with every dist-upgrade.
I cannot fucking understand why novidia is just so fucking shit.
the quadro line must work without a sweat... but NO, you apply some patches to the kernel and everything breaks. just spend 1 hour after each upgrade to fix the fucking incompatibilities.

as if i need one

>consumer windows
You played yourself

he's right tho.

they used to say that all the programs in repositories wouldn't be included if they didn't work in new releases. that hasn't been true for years..

it almost as if the people that write the software never test it or even use it. maybe they only use it to write code that would explain months with basic bugs not being fixed

debian breaks the themes every other month with updates. the themes haven't worked with vlc player for years

anyone here use mate desktop?
the icons on the panel disappear don't show up or crash the panel on boot. 2 years

>if you has used Arch
he would be back to windows already

recordmy desktop. broken for years
still in the repositories

>debian
>gnome
>apt
>debian
kek

brave browser
sudo install brave repository
apt-get install brave...
not found

the thumb buttons on the mouse
do yours work?
sometimes?

theres no support any more
you used to be able to type a general description of a problem in the google and find a fix.
now all you ever find is the fix for other distros. they don't always work in debian

zoneminder
the Easy Way

wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_9_64-bit_with_Zoneminder_1.30.4_the_Easy_Way

no ptz buttons for almost a year.

I gonna order a 512gb ssd from amazon
I was gonna get a mouse too but they're all junk too these days.
I'm gonna try ubuntu. at least there's still support

Attached: Screenshot at 2019-03-31 18-05-03.png (908x433, 62K)

> they used to say that all the programs in repositories wouldn't be included if they didn't work in new releases. that hasn't been true for years..
Define "work". There are automated tests, programs with bugs are either fixed or removed before release. If you see something does not work, file a bug. It may be complicated, because Debian relies on legacy in many ways, but not impossible.

lol I want to use it not have a career working on it

Legit question: what are you guys even doing with Linux?

> lol I want to use it
Then community support is all you got either way. Also:
> file a bug
> have a career working on it
Can't be sure how you're this noobish if you worked with Debian for "years".

lol so you've been working on it for years ?

it beats using windows

I switched to debian in 2005.

also not a gamer. I had a dual boot with xp for games a few years

> lol so you've been working on it for years ?
"with it", but not "on it". Then again, I've never experienced programming errors which could be attributed to the code quality, on official packages.

Shitposting here

google sucks

google sucks
remember a few months ago when you couldn't add a program because you couldn't verify the key for the repository? the debian maintainers said something about it before.
but they didn't sent out a fix for all the computers first
it seems kinda sloppy
people that didn't know this was coming were probably pissed

wow lucky

Attached: Screenshot at 2019-03-31 18-32-27.png (298x252, 5K)

lol the absolute state of linux cucks.

Me, SysAdmin that plays some vidya when got free time on hands