What is /g's opinion on vinyle

Attached: c8ff2b403a1f2c3720bd19d2388b73ce.jpg (500x375, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1552785088785.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ur gay fuk u fagit

It's a neat medium, literal physical analog copies of music.
When I support artists I buy Vinyl and I also collect some classics.
It's all cool as long as you care about the music and don't talk about it to anyone and brag about it, in which case you'd be a massive faggot.

vinyls are good

Attached: vinyl record machine.jpg (783x800, 79K)

that paper record player looks like it works

Vinyl gloves? It's a God's gift, but I prefer nitryl ones.

analog media is dumb

i love the experience of sitting down and listening to a record, but my digital library suffices most of the time.
technically speaking, vinyl is not better than CD, period. vinyl works out to about 12 bits of depth and 48db of dynamic range, both inferior to what CD produces (or at least what the format is capable of but woefully underutilized in later CD pressings.) the only reasons people think vinyl sounds better are that they're lulled by the format, the physicality of it, and its warmth (generally down to their amp or the RIAA curve), OR the fact that generally speaking better masters exist on vinyls (again, barring early or very recent CDs) with higher dynamic range than their digital counterparts, completely at the fault of the studio producing this music.
fuck the loudness war.

CDs are better.

Attached: 4chin.png (1080x335, 60K)

Cool but expensive hobby.

It's a good plastic

utter garbage

CD's are still superior

It should, but there's a good chance the needle that it is use will totally fuck that LP.

>CD pressings

user.

Attached: 3d61872.jpg (600x450, 65K)

Finally listened to a modern record player--the attraction is the novelty of it. Otherwise, you're listen to music filtered by nostalgia--pretty of programs will do that for cheap or free.

>fuck the loudness war.

THIS QUIET OFFENDS SLAANESH
THINGS WILL GET LOUD NOW

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1552785088785.webm

CDs are pressed you dumb fuck, the reflective layer is added after that.

It isn't pressed. It is injected. The plastic gets injected into the mold where the master is and a disc forms. After that it is coated with the aluminum foil. Even the master isn't pressed with the information though it does get its circle cut out via a die press.

pressing is a common term for CDs

Most people in the industry still call it pressing, even if it is technically incorrect. CD factories are called pressing plants, even.

Vinyl technically has superior frequency response (from 18 Hz clear to almost 80 kHz) and it just sounds more natural if you're actually paying attention. Also, it has more dynamics than modern "WALL OF FUCKING SOUND" loudness war BS happens to be so it again just sounds better.

The only way to properly capture vinyl in a digital format is 24 bit 96 kHz because that's the only way to capture the wider frequency response.

Spek shows you the way... on the left, the best version of this album ever put onto CD, on the right a crazy awesome sounding 24/96 rip. The upper harmonics make all the difference with respect to the LP version in digital form, it just makes it sound better.

I've got some vinyl rips that have a lot of signal content well into the 45 kHz range so, yeah, it fucking matters.

Attached: CDvsVinylRip.png (1263x483, 397K)

Outdated technology replaced by far superior formats. It has its place for legacy archival as some (but not all) was mastered around the inherent limitations of the platform.

>it just sounds more natural

But it is utterly artificial.
Using heavy filtering to add "warmth" to a terrible sounding source.

Don't believe me?
Just disable the amplifier and hold your ear next to the needle to listen to the "natural" sound of a fucking metal needle scratching against a plate.

>mfw converted all of my hi res music to 24 bit 48khz (or 24 bit 44.1khz if the source was a multiple of that instead)
the only reason i didn't dither to 16 bit was to have more headroom for DSP, and even then I may just dither to 16 bit at some point and just keep note of where my music came from.

ultrasonics
do
not
matter

Attached: 1554034326856.webm (600x900, 2.86M)

If only we didn't have to deal with the wall of sound loudness war full on mastering it would matter, hence me and many other people preferring LPs digitized properly.

In the long run, all that matters is how it sounds to each of us individually, and after hearing walls of fucking audio for decades (I do audio production work) my fucking ears have had enough over-amped distorted balls to the wall levels.

I don't do the digitizing myself, ain't no way I'm gonna go out and spend a ton of cash on vinyl to replace the CDs I already paid for - I do what any self-respecting person does: I go find well done vinyl rips done by other people like Dr. Robert and PBTHAL and a handful of others who have the time, the patience, and the record collections as well as the hardware to make the vinyl rips that sound so good to my ears.

It ain't for everyone, no, but at least with vinyl rips I know I don't have to touch the fuckin' volume at all and I don't have to do a ReplayGain analysis pass for the content either, it's already mastered to honor the 89 dB industry standard.

>saving webms like this
can you get any more virginal you fucking neckbeard
go the fuck outside

paying a shit ton to listen to vinyl is a meme, but vinyl is still the best way to buy music if you want to display your purchases.

Best way to get music is

Use Deezloader for general music.
Torrent .flac for anything Deezloader makes too warm
Buy Vinyl of albums you'd like to place somewhere in your room/house.

CDs are more convenient for me.

Cheap mass-produced media of older times. Sometimes the only source of some mastering you like or untouched by loudness war stuff. Pretty much useless in modern days, except that it looks nice.

where do you think you are

Attached: ebd04dd1.png (620x653, 230K)

Vinyl in the modern era is a meme and has returned simply to milk nostalgia fags. Vinyl audiophiles are the worst of the worst when it comes to spending thousands on cables with pebbles wrapped around them. The only reason I'd ever use it today would be to digitize any music that hasn't been released on CD, is hard to find on other formats or was mastered better (released before loudness war).

They sometimes seem to sound better, and have a warm sound. I have heard vinyl frequency is better for resonating off of objects which accounts for the warmth. When it comes to sounding better, I think most of that is because the music industry at that time had more talent and integrity. Mixing was much better then 90% of the jewed up trash that comes out. A old vinyl can't hold a candle to a proper mixed CD.

It wears off. For me, it makes it unacceptable, unless laser turntables become popular – and they probably won't.

You got webms of the other girls standing there

Analog is bloat

Attached: 1530123121383.jpg (2048x1536, 299K)

I prefer open reel tape considering that the analog master recordings used it.

>t. someone who has never heard a well mixed record on a good sounding system

This. Collect and listen to it, and use as a medium to support the artists that you like, dont brag about it or campaign to other people to use it. You will look and act like a faggot.

it doesn't work like that. Records are recorded with a frequentcy curve and the applifer replays the signal with an inverse curve. Listening to the needle is dumb and wrong.

>nice to have a physical medium with large cover art instead of TBs of music on a harddrive
>sometimes the mastering is different than digital music
>sound is objectively a worse representation of the music than digital
>sometimes the only option if you start digging for music released before the 90s
>some genres still get a lot of vinyl-only releases

unless you're into old stuff that won't be rereleased properly the degree of retardation is on par with collecting anime figures

rrrumbllle*POP*snapruuuubmble*POP*ruuuumbleclick*POP*

>reee it doesn't matter because I say it doesn't

Attached: 1545522548711.png (1373x833, 59K)

wh40k fans are so insufferable.