Trying again

Trying again
Do you guys use a trackball?
What one do you use and what would you recommend getting?
How long did it take to get used to and how fast and accurate is it compared to a regular mouse?
I realized I dont want to fuck up my wrists and I've tried 3 vertical mice and they make it hurt more than a regular mouse

Attached: Screenshot_20190330-232311_Amazon Shopping.jpg (720x477, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xahlee.info/kbd/trackball_index.html
aliexpress.com/item/mouse/32967742622.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have two Elecom trackballs and love them but cannot really recommend them due to their shit software not working every time a windows screen pops up

I've 2 trackball mice. The elecom have the best reliability. Logitech are comfy but died on me after 3 montsh (both mice I bought).

Take the old trackball and put it in this

Attached: 7CD765C2-5B95-4CF8-9682-00697DA85D65.jpg (1242x2039, 599K)

I have one of those Logitech ones. i use it all the time on my laptop, but never on a desktop. I've been thinking about getting the one in your picture for my desktop for a long time. I've used a Kensington like 15 years ago and loved it, but it was easy to compete with ball mice back then. for what they cost it's a bit of a gamble to just get one to try out.

Recently replaced my CST L-Trac with faulty left button with a wireless Kensington Expertmouse. Though I've been using trackballs for over twenty years now so I can't really comment on how long it took to get used to it.

>Do you guys use a trackball?
yes
>What one do you use and what would you recommend getting?
i have a kensington Orbit with the scroll ring and a old a4tech meme trackball with dual scrolls.
I recommend fingers track instead of thumb track, but is my personal preference and i have a fucked up right thumb too, but they are normally bigger than thumbs.
>How long did it take to get used to and how fast and accurate is it compared to a regular mouse?
took me some 3-4 days to be really used to it. It's not faster nor more accurate than a regular mouse imo, and actually can be less accurate for some pin-point accurate needed tasks.
i see the use of keyboard shortcuts and the trackball as a more ergonomic and sometimes faster experience than a regular mouse, but i go back and forth very often. i mostly go back to normal mouse under repetitive tasks that need a somewhat accurate movement to finish it faster and for games. i would go exclusively to track if i didn't have enough desk space to keep my regular mouse.
i suggest to you to try finger track first, keep it, try a thumb track, after you choose what suits you better, sell the other one.

Which do you prefer?

My work ordered this one (MX Ergo, probably Plus?) for me. Will get it by tomorrow most likely. I'm pretty excited.

Elecom wired trackball, I popped out the ball from an M570 that was starting to double click even after I replaced the button switches and put it in this one; the "page up" button on this one started to drop clicks after a while (I'm not sure how hard it'll be to replace the switch in this one since it was a pain in the ass with the M570) but otherwise it's fine and has a good shaped grip for my hand

At work I still have an old Logitech Trackman Wheel that I replaced the switches in a few years ago, I'm not sure if it's worth replacing it anytime soon

I never noticed the issue with Elecom software suddenly not working on Windows, my only issue is that on Linux I can't get X to do anything useful with the ring finger button even though it shows click events just fine in xev

>How long did it take to get used to
Literally 1 day. First of all just config sensitivity to what you feel most comfortable with, my suggestion is low sens with high accel. After that, play some Feeding Frenzy game and you will get used to it.

On Linux I found that even the lowest mouse acceleration I could set in X was a bit too fast for my taste with an Elecom trackball, I had to add an extra config file in xorg.conf.d to make it just a tiny bit slower so now it's just right (roughly equivalent to 2 or 3 notches below the maximum mouse speed in Windows)

>Trying again
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again.

>Do you guys use a trackball?
Sure do! It's been my daily driver for something like .. 8 years? A long time, anyway.

> What one do you use and what would you recommend getting?
The only good product Kensington ever made is the "Kensington Expert Mouse" which is actually a huge-ass trackball.

> How long did it take to get used to and how fast and accurate is it compared to a regular mouse?
I don't game, so hyperspeed ain't my goal. I like high accuracy, so I have the speed set way down slow. A coworker remarked: "Ugh, it's like pushing a truck" when he tried it. I like it just fine.

> I realized I dont want to fuck up my wrists and I've tried 3 vertical mice and they make it hurt more than a regular mouse
Oh yeah, I know what you are talking about. Those vertical mice hurt more than normal mice.
If you are worried about RSI, I can recommend three different input technologies:
- trackballs
- touchpads
- Wacom tablets

All three will stop you from destroying what's left of your mousing hand.

Attached: IMG_8254.jpg (3264x2448, 2.21M)

Don't get this one.
Read the Amazon reviews to find out why:
Essentially, the buttons are crap, scrolling is difficult, and despite its looks, it just ain't all that ergonomic.

I use the kensington slimblade everyday at work. I think it's my favorite trackball mouse because of how low profile it is. Much better than the kensington pro or any of the elecom mouse I've tried.

Hmmm....

have the same mouse at work.
the scroll wheel takes some time to get smooth (at first it was quite scratchy)

another problem is the dirt buildup.
the trackball sits on 3 tiny balls and dirt collects quite quickly on them.

other than that my only real complaint is that when you use the software they provide for windows it also fucks with any other mouse. since the dpi is 5 times lower than my regular mouse it's quite annoying to use.
originally I bought it to place it left of my keyboard and use the normal one for gaming on the right. I did manage to set everything up nicely on linux, but on windows it was pure horror.
now it's my mouse at work.

Use a logitech trackman marble for my desktop and a trackman wheel for my laptop. No complaints.

He's not wrong, I love my slimblade but the buttons are bad. I had to open up the mouse to have it unsticking because the tolerance between teh plastic bit is a little crap.
I disagree about the scrolling though, I prefer it to the scroll ring. You twist the ball to scroll and once you get used it, it's a lot better.

Hi user, I'm the Jow Forumsent with the flash photo

>another problem is the dirt buildup.
Agreed. I have to pull out the ball, turn the trackpad upside down, and wiggle the dirt out of it every three or four months.

>other than that my only real complaint is that when you use the software they provide for windows [...]
Wow that sounds like a pain. I run the trackpad on macOS without a driver. That's possible on Windows too, right? I mean, it's just a HID-compliant pointing device.

test

sure it's possible, that's how I use it at work now.

however, on linux I set it up so bottom left + right is registered as middle click
and top buttons are back and forth.
to do that on windows you have to use the driver, but it messes with mouse and scroll speed.

speaking of, scroll speed was actually another big problem, as the driver sets the system scroll to the lowest setting and then applies a multiplier only to the trackball. any other mouse would have super small scrolling (and it resets this on every boot).
had to make a powershell script which runs on boot before I thought fuck it

Do you have any recommendations for a newbie on this scene?

See
Or m570 until it breaks after a year or two

Thumbball mice are trash, finger ball or go home

Get bent you hook handed mutant,
Only way to do it is via thumb so you can maintain accuracy and play video games without getting carpel tunnel

>m570
Release date 2010. You can still buy it but there's no reason when there's the 2017 MX Ergo.

As a avid user of the m570 (I still use it at work).
The MX Ergo is a major upgrade with better everything.

I have an MX Ergo and it's really nice.

I get more hand strain from using a thumb mouse than a normal mouse. And thumb mice are wildly inaccurate compared to finger mice.
Go stick you stupid thumb deep up yourself

>not having a button for accuracy on your mouse
Get sniped you hook handed freak

tfw I ordered a vertical mouse (granted it was only a couple of bucks off aliexpress) and everyone is saying they're shit
still I hope it's not going to be shit
I'd also like to try a big ass track ball but I haven't really found anything cheap (a couple of tenners)
I'm not about to drop 90 bucks on a kensington
and lastly I'd like to try a touchpad as well

xahlee.info/kbd/trackball_index.html
What mouse did you buy user?

m570

aliexpress.com/item/mouse/32967742622.html
this thing
kinda just got it for the fuck of it, see what it's like
yeah I'm not sure about thumb controller trackballs, I think it'll leave me with the same pains
I want my thumb to be relaxed

I have heard track ball mice are overrated and not that ergonomic and that vertical mice are far better.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive user.

The trackball is strenuous to use and not as good as just moving your arm

Using a thumb ball is much more comfortable than using your arm.

Also my point was that vertical trackball mice exist, so saying "trackball vs vertical mice" doesn't make much sense.

have this, pretty good step from a regular mouse. I would never go back now.

I actually just got my first trackball mouse, an M570. So far I like it! Definitely can recommend this one because it's so inexpensive.

There is nothing natural or comfortable about moving your thumb on a ball that much for so long. I dont see how a thumbball is ergonomically superior to a vertical mouse that incorporates natural movements and biomechanics

...your thumb is literally designed to move a lot. All your fingers are. It's kind of one of our biggest advantages as a species.

Also, the ergonomic issue with mice is chiefly about wrist movement. Wrist movement is how you get CTS. A vertical mouse helps with this, since any wrist movement is a more natural bend, but it can still encourage wrist movement in general, whereas your arm literally doesn't move at all with a trackball.

Yes its designed to move a lot but not in the manner a trackball does it. Think for a second. No natural mechanics require that much movement.

With a vertical mouse you use your arm nearly, or entirely, and as you said any wrist movement is in the natural directions as well.

I just dont see how so much movement on a trackball can be ergonomic. And when I read of people saying trackballs made their pain or discomfort worse I felt like that made sense

I could very well be wrong thats just my take.

Just stop talking you obviously failed anatomy or never played a video game.
Good choice

>never played a video game

Are you fucking retarded? That has nothing to do with natural movement or ergonomics.

I mean, speaking from experience I have no discomfort using my trackball for extended periods, whereas I did with my regular mouse. I guess it really depends how much you extend your thumb on the ball when moving? I make very small movements with high sensitivity.

>It's not faster nor more accurate than a regular mouse imo, and actually can be less accurate for some pin-point accurate needed tasks.
The fuck is wrong with you or your trackball? Trackballs are faster and more accurate than regular mice.

>faster
You can literally spin the ball and do a 2x720 noscope. Can't do that with a mice without flinging it off your desk or jacking up the sensitivity making it less accurate.

>accuracy
Modern trackballs use the same optical sensors as good optical mice so they literally have the same DPI. The only difference is that you can use your finger to move the ball rather than your wrist or entire arm, so it's objectively more accurate unless your fingers are really twitchy or something. Definitely don't become a surgeon.

>faster and more accurate than regular mice

Yes thats why all the StarCraft and fps players use them.

Oh... Wait.

Had a slimblade for six years now and had no issues with sticky buttons. Clean your fingers before touching your stuff.

Agree that the buttons aren't great for pro gaming, they're "clicky". But they're fine for regular use depending on your personal preference.

Looks so cucked

>implying implications
And Starcraft players don't use Datahands either, and everyone stills uses Windows Botnet 10, what's your point? Mediocrity is always popular.

Because saying a fucking trackball is more fast and accurate than a normal mouse isnt backed up by any observable or otherwise fact at all. Youre literally just talking out of your ass.

They've existed before and have for a long time and have never been shown to be more accurate or fast in applications where such a thing is desired.

How does it fare with minesweeper? I'm not sure it would solve much though because it's the no-flag clicky-clicky that fucks my fingers and not the arm movement.

Attached: mnw.jpg (506x397, 130K)

>prefer?
The CST but only just.
+ The CST had a higher DPI (faster), which was adjustable on the fly with a two button combination (nice). I wish there was a switch to turn that function off in some games.
+ Never have to take the ball out for cleaning.
+ Ergonomically felt better.
- Only has three buttons and the scroll "wheel" is at the top and doesn't come readily to hand.
- Not wireless.
- Never have to take out the trackball to clean but the way to clean it is to vigorously swipe the ball around. So they made it that you cannot take the trackball out and after a few years I have to wonder what kind of build of gunky strips and balls there must be at the bottom.

A wireless CST would be nice.

Using a vertical mouse put way more strain on me than a regular mouse

Where do you feel it at?

Gent bent faggot

Not an argument you fucking two bit nigger. I'm all for hearing support of ergonomically conscious design and usage but not stuff you pulled out your ass.

>can't move his thumb for a mouse designed for people suffering from carpel tunnel.
Lay off the onions bitch nigga,

No retard. I'm saying back up your reasoning or get bent.

I'm using a vertical mouse currently to PREVENT carpal tunnel and wrist related issues since I have a wrist I broke badly years ago.

I am open to ergonomic arguments only if they MAKE SENSE.

m570 my dude. great bang for buck (you can get them onsale for $15-18). You can figure out if you can deal with a trackball before buying something more expensive. not sure about every one in this thread, but mine gets thrown in/out of a laptop bag when going to and from work and it's done great for 2 years.

I got one after injuring my wrist and it helped with wrist strain for sure.

I have an elecom huge wireless. On linux you have to replug it on reboot since the driver doesn't pick it up. Sucks. Other than that it's perfect. I think I could fix it but I haven't spent the time on it yet.

Here's a couple scripts, one rebinds with a map so I get an easier middle click binding, the second turns one of the FN keys into a scroll mod so the whell scrolls whatever view you're in, even in terminals. V comfy.

`
#!/bin/sh
my_mouse_id=$(xinput | grep "ELECOM" | grep "pointer" | sed 's/^.*id=\([0-9]*\)[ \t].*$/\1/')
echo $my_mouse_id > /tmp/my_mouse_id
xinput set-button-map $my_mouse_id 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 2 11 12
'

The sed script simply gets the right field from the output of xinput. 2 greps because the elecom huge reports itself as both a keyboard and a mouse.

'
#!/bin/sh
# Set button Fn3 to scroll mode
xinput set-prop "pointer:ELECOM TrackBall Mouse HUGE TrackBall" 'libinput Button Scrolling Button' 12
xinput set-prop "pointer:ELECOM TrackBall Mouse HUGE TrackBall" 'libinput Scroll Method Enabled' 0 0 1
'

This one is comfy

No dipshit how about you use google
Get bent helmet!

Yes google doesnt prove your point. A trackball is likely better than a normal mouse but I still have yet to see how its better than a vert mouse. Thats not even delving into control and accuracy.

What the fuck do you mean "trying again" you stupid faggot. I told you to get one you bitch ass bitch. Fuck you asshole. Dumb ass bitch faggot fucker ass wipe piece of shit.

Well I wouldn't know. I bought a Anker clone and it's alright.

ladies and gents, autism at work.

wtf

>. Clean your fingers before touching your stuff.
I literally wasn't that. One of the plastic pieces was a little too long causing friction between the moving pieces. The slimblade QE isn't all that great, you can see several reports of this issue, but it's still my favorite mouse.