The wild, wild West of the Internet of the past, those days are gone

>the wild, wild West of the Internet of the past, those days are gone
>the Internet and especially social media sites now need to be looked at closer by government entities
Thoughts?

komonews.com/news/nation-world/facebook-ceo-zuckerberg-calls-for-more-outside-regulation

Attached: zuck.jpg (985x554, 64K)

Deleted all my social media a while ago. I only keep a fb to communicate with people. Wish they all changed to signal.

top lel
i think deleting all social media and hosting my own static website makes most sense at this point. it will be harder for faggots to datamine my ass and i will still be able to post stupid shit online.

What about an imageboard but threads auto-prune content older than 5 min? Should get rid off need for moderation since content stays for such short period of time

I miss the old internet.

Normies ruined it all.

it still exists on onions

That's an interesting idea actually... only that it would need to be very active to be usable at all

government would van your server faster than you could say wtf?

Why? I'm doing nothing illegal

>using faceberg
dumb fucks

He has pulled an all time good trick here. On the one hand you have these Governments stating that these companies need to self-regulate and on the other hand you have the population stating that regulation of the internet would undermine free speech (among other things).

He has just turned the conversation around and left it with Governments to determine what is and isn't allowed, knowing they will not get any laws through to regulate this kind of stuff.

The Russians and the Chinese had it right all along.. Unmoderated user generated content is bad for societal cohesion.

>please regulate my competitors
>american lobbyist lobbies for rules that slightly hurt his company but bankrupt other smaller companies
>us govt decides winners and losers arbitrarily
>the us gov't has done such a good job running websites such as healthcare dot gov they should definitely run more websites and play a bigger role in our lives
>no bid contracts actually pay friends of politicians to regulate the internet at a higher cost than paying a government agency to do it
>bureaucrats accountable to no one with no transparency and lots of revolving door money
>if not for the government, who will stop people from saying mean words on twitter?
>speaking of twitter please use my new app, wechat instead of twitter please also buy wechat instagram products such as horoscope teabags for your chakras
>facebook ceo

providers are now responsible for what theire users post, plus you wouldn't have enough traffic for a five minute board

What's there to regulate? Google, FB, twitter, Reddit, already suck up everything on the internet

The problem is moderation is also for users, not just for feds. People won’t post if they come and all they see are gore threads

Onions is too slow. No one there at all. I want something like 2006 Jow Forums. Not quite popular yet, but still active. There's a magical balance between dead and overrun by normies and spam that's hard for anywhere to keep. I think it may only happen temporarily.

frankly Jow Forums is still pretty good in my opinion

It's better now than it was a few years ago for sure, but it's not quite the same.

cripplechan is fun too especially doing your own sub

>providers are now responsible for what there users post
have an alphabet agency host it as a covert honeypot
>wouldn't have enough traffic for a five minute board
There would be plenty of traffic with a handful of shills, some bots and a few handlers to keep the board going. Have less specific threads and more general threads to keep posts concentrated.

Jow Forums was never good

Attached: qmof9bynnq521.jpg (581x156, 12K)

oh so you don't think pages of DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU
count as good content?

It's not the content (although some is quite good) is the freedom to shit post with others and with little consequence, that's a lost privilege on the modern internet

You would probably have constant CP spam, new thread every time the old one gets deleted.

Could I set up a Kareha board on the Tor network and leave it unmoderated? I can't think of anything illegal that can be posted with solely test except for copyright infringement.

The word government means mind control in latin. Is it a surprise when the government seeks to control every aspect of your life?

>I deleted all my social media except the social media I didn’t delete

Most likely in the future the internet will be like cable tv. Even video games will not exist as there would be too great of a possibility of them being modified to allow acts of speech to communicate with other people or AI beings.

Additionally, people will be encouraged at the penalty of a fine to carry media viewing devices and cameras that can monitor vocal communication and what is happening around a person visually akin to the visual systems of future autonomous cars and drones. Some of these things already occur to some degree with some devices, but will be integrated into digital systems of government groups as advanced computing technology (excluding things like simplistic graphing calculators) will be considered to be too dangerous to be allowed by other groups.

Attached: computing future.jpg (596x1492, 733K)

I remember hearing an American judge at least of some notability in a video that he didn't at the time believe there was any laws that would mean it was illegal for entities to theoretically monitor the thoughts of people for various purposes when they are awake or sleeping if such technology were to somehow exist nor for it to be illegal for companies to broadcast advertisements to people's minds if they used technology that would allow such a thing to exist for whatever reason (possibly the reason being for the technology to modify a person's thoughts or ability to think). I don't remember what the video was unfortunately.

If such technologies existed though there would be court cases that would occur about it and probably new laws passed in the USA and elsewhere I would imagine. It's kind of interesting to consider what the legal precedence is for how such technology could operate though.

>Most likely in the future the internet will be like cable tv. Even video games will not exist as there would be too great of a possibility of them being modified to allow acts of speech to communicate with other people or AI beings.

You are crazy af

They aren't wrong though.

I don't want regulation on the internet, but cunts like (((fuckerberg))) refuse to self-regulate so it's an inevitability.

Uh doesn't facebook do a lot of self regulation already? They delete dozens if not hundreds or more posts every hour. They set their own guidelines too.

I honestly cant tell if you're memeing. I quite obviously did not mean "moderation" when I said self-regulation.

Not trying to meme. Facebook is a huge entity. I assume it sees more cash flow and exerts more economic, social and political influence then more then several small nations put together. The corporation has speech policies that extend to every aspect of user posting. These policies are modified to meet speech policies of countries facebook does business in. Facebook does this of its own accord. How is that not self regulation?

The video game industry is a good analogue. Back before the ESRB was founded, there was the huge uproar about violent video games. Many politicians were moving to make various laws restricting the sales of games. Instead of letting that happen, the industry itself created the ESRB to rate games, and agreements were made with stores to only sell games based on the age brackets. None of this is law, just agreements within the industry. This largely managed to satisfy the complainers, and it cost the industry a hell of a lot less money and headache than uninformed politicians making uninformed laws would have.

Fast forward 20-30 years. Many companies apparently did not learn from the past, as we saw from the lootbox controversies. Consumers were complaining, and if you don't do something about it, politicians WILL pass laws on your industry for good boy points. But, these companies didn't learn and instead we have various governments making laws about lootboxes which will probably hurt the bottom line a lot more.

Compare to the social media industry. People are crying out about loads of things with regards to censorship and data privacy. All they had to do was self-regulate. Choose to do some pro-consumer things to silence the outrage. But they didn't, because they're short-sighted and desperately want to make "all the money" instead of "a lot of money". Now we have laws like GDPR, and it's gonna keep happening. Maybe big tech thought their lobbying power was enough to stop it, but they're wrong, and it's gonna hurt more than just them.

To any outlaw tryin' to draw, thinkin' you're bad
Any draw on West best with a pen and a pad
Don't even think about it, six gun, weighin' a ton
Ten paces and turn just for fun, son

Attached: Jim West, Desperado.jpg (968x681, 34K)

I wouldn't exactly call them shortsighted. I believe they are well aware of the needs of the market, but they also understand the fleeting nature of such businesses. Just like Facebook killed, it too will succumb to something else eventually. Because of this, some just go all in and burn up fast - they are unlikely to last long anyway. That's my theory, anyway.