Insallation takes days on anything with less than 4 cores

>insallation takes days on anything with less than 4 cores
>the payoff is a system so carefully cherrypicked and microoptimized that it can run modern software reasonably well on systems too low-performance for anyone who had the specs to get this far into the build process without losing their mind to possibly give a shit about in the first place
remind me again what the point of this thing is

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119K)

>Installation takes days on anything with less that 2 cores
I installed it (for the first time) in about half a day on a 1 core 2 thread 1.6Ghz amd processor

To separate us from you

Attached: 13-wojak_00.w710.h473.2x.jpg (1420x946, 57K)

i use atom cpu

I dont compile packages, the binary is eenough

I only compilee if the program has some features that isn't enabled by default

What do you mean "separate," user? This -- this thread -- is coming from someone who installed gentoo on a high-spec computer without much trouble and is now happily using it.

Gentoo is slower than other distributions, fucking with compiler settings doesn't speed anything up, it will just make your shit unstable and give you a bad time.

People use it because its easy to customize and portage is basically just better at letting you do whatever you want.

>insallation takes days on anything with less than 4 cores
no
>the payoff is a system so carefully cherrypicked and microoptimized that it can run modern software reasonably well on systems too low-performance
no
>Gentoo is slower than other distributions
no

Really? In my experience it's much faster.
There are many things Gentoo doesn't do as well as other distributions, speed is not one of them, unless we're talking about the speed of installing packages. In fact, if we're talking about the speed of actually *running* programs, speed is pretty much *the* definitive thing that Gentoo *does* do better than other distributions, that's meant to justify it not doing hardly anything else nearly as well. It's kind of like comparing C to some bloated dynamic shit like Ruby. Ruby is packaged with the resources to let it do almost everything much better than C, but, on account of lacking those very resources, C is so much faster that to many people it's not worth the tradeoff.

If you are strictly talking about binary speed, it isn't faster.

There are things that are much easier to tweak on Gentoo but some of the useful optimizations like binary pre-linking no longer provide much benefit because everyone has SSD now.

>remind me again what the point of this thing is
Having a system so carefully cherrypicked and microoptimized that it can run modern software reasonably well on systems too low-performance for anyone who had the specs to get this far into the build process without losing their mind to possibly give a shit about in the first place, obviously...

Don't reply to tripfags.

Gentoo isn't faster than other distros, but it's more modular and versatile.

Attached: 2019-03-17-004824_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 1.03M)

Nobody gives a shit about binary speed, it's the speed of the underlying system overall. I had the exact same software setup in Arch and it was relatively a slow laggy nightmare compared to what I have now in Gentoo.

Gentoo is a big fucking meme that people only use because they want internet schlong points. They don't even use the main unique feature of it because it's slow and inconvenient.
>oh but muh customizability
Every distro is customizable right down to a custom kernel.

The kernels between Arch and Gentoo will have almost identical speed.

Systemd is going to be the same speed on either given the same version.

I mean, your anecdotal feels are obviously important to you, so carry on using Arch, it was custom made just for people like you.

Reminder that, according to this tripfag, pic related is equivalent to writing an ebuild for building the latest pandoc.
Now please stop feeding him.

Attached: 1545400233652.png (960x1062, 349K)

>Every distro is customizable right down to a custom kernel.
Yeah, but the less is there in the first place, the easier it is to customize. You can customize every little aspect of Ubuntu, too, but a lot of things will break if you do, and then you'll have to go customize the things that broke, in order to fix them by making them fit with your other customizations.

gentoo is easy.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-31 21-02-22.png (1366x768, 335K)

lol you still butthurt that you tried to get it working for hours and it took me literally 3 minutes?

>They don't even use the main unique feature of it
Pretty much everyone who's using gentoo is using custom compile and use flags

op here i did not have much use for the custom compile flags but the custom use flags were pretty neat. being able to only build the parts of software that your know for sure you're going to need, and conversely being able to explicitly forbid certain other parts from being built because you know you neither need nor want them, is a pretty nice experience. i wish binary packages on other systems were distributed more modularly so less experienced users could have this option as well, instead of what most package managers seem to do which is just pull in all the package's dependencies indiscriminately, ranging from hard dependencies to seemingly just arbitrary maintainer recommendations.