youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>List your uses e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors include purpose & graphics pairing
>NO Speccy or "bottleneck checkers"

Secure CPUs based on current prices
>1600/1700 - for non-gaming; worse in gaming due to slower memory latency
>R3 2200G - Light 30-60fps gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2600/X - Good 60fps+ gaming & multithreaded work use
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper - HEDT

RAM
>NEVER use only a single stick
>8GB - very light use, and/or if you don't mind closing programs regularly
>16GB - standard amount. If you have to ask if you need more, you don't
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2800MHz+ is ideal. Check "more" for true latency formula

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570/580 - value. May have to lower settings in some cases.
>590 - current generation games on high/maxed 60fps+; better choice if you want the included games
>1660 - current generation games on high/maxed 60fps+; much more power efficient
> 1660Ti / 1070 / Vega56 / 2060 - higher framerates
1440p (WQHD)
>590 - lower, console-equivalent settings
>1070Ti / Vega / 2070 - 60-120fps+ in most games on high/maxed
>RTX 2080 / 2080Ti - higher framerates
>Radeon VII - may be considered; needs cooler mod to run quiet
2160p (4k)
>RTX 2080 / Radeon VII - upscale or lower settings
>RTX 2080 Ti, but poor value.

Storage
>Consider a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & HDD
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are old models
>PLAN BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

rentry.co/pcbg-more

Prev

Attached: pcbg.jpg (4032x3024, 1.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

noctua.at/en/nh-c14s
pcpartpicker.com/list/KkqyCb
pcpartpicker.com/list/RBXNCb
pcpartpicker.com/list/VrqVzY
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CvPHyX
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VLtBV6
tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

noctua.at/en/nh-c14s
does it really make a difference if im pulling air from the mobo instead of pushing hot air to it?

Retard here, no idea what I'm doing. I'm looking to build a gaymen PC for around £500, monitors not included. Any help appreciated!

Attached: impostinglewdstogetreplies.jpg (872x1016, 90K)

I've looked at the corsair cx550m and the evga bq and both have multitudes of comments about failures and such.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/KkqyCb
>Mainly for gaming on a currently owned 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor. If there's a part that's not on there, it's because it'll be swapped in from a previous build.

Getting a last few opinions before I pull the plug. Does anybody have experience with MSI boards?

Attached: 1554060746786s.jpg (125x71, 2K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/RBXNCb

Looking for a 1070ti, but the Asus Strix models are out of stock here. Is the MSI any good, or is the Duke model better?

The old 212 is a placeholder. Is there any other good fan that isn't a Noctua? We already got builds with them, looking for something else for a change.
Ignore the RAM.

Is the MasterCase MC500Mt okay or absolute dogshit? The front panel looks like it constricts airflow a lot. The shape and colors however are just as desired... Anything similar to it that isn't a box of brushed metal?

Attached: 1543505062207.jpg (375x300, 22K)

I'd recommend not posting thumbnails for starters.

Only way you can do that is used or making a 2400G machine.

Yeah. CXM and BQ aren't very recommended. But they are cheap. Anything better than them is the level they become acceptable.

I'm not aware of 1070Ti being in stock anywhere at all. No price is listed on yours.

Don't throw a fit over it. There's a link too.

>no Intel pozzed housefire garbage trash
Based

Attached: 1501867726886.jpg (1500x1164, 337K)

It seems like bronze rated PSUs really aren't worth it then. They're either garbage or more expensive than a gold rated unit.

how much writes would a normal desktop pc write to an ssd per day? gaming/browsing/music listening/downloading gaems/apps/whatev

any ballpark numbers?

>75hz minimum; 60hz are old models
what did OP mean by this

OP means newer models are almost always at least 75hz but they still sell 5 year old 60hz monitors as "new".

right thanks for clearing that up

imagine buying anything less than 144hz in current year... imagine!

ready to rustle some jimmies.
>pcpartpicker.com/list/VrqVzY

Attached: stay_mad.png (1479x860, 84K)

Daily reminder that for 1080p/60hz a 2nd or 3rd gen i5 is more than enough, specially K editions, there is literally no improvement with a newer CPU that isnt marginal, invest in the GPU (1060 or RX580) and/or SSDs.

>rustle some jimmies
GTFO

do u have a use case for all that ram ?

tiny cooler
mobo could be better
970 evo should be a 970 evo plus
2070... cmon bruh
'
jimmy status: semi rustled

Attached: 6j8i71dbrxv11.png (1488x2008, 173K)

thanks bro! I'll be sure to enjoy my stutters

Awful build.

That is a lie.
Even 7th gen i5s stutter like shit and can't maintain 60fps minimums.

Heavily multithreaded multiplayer games take a shit on 4 core i5s. Single player games? Yeah sure you'll pin it at 60fps most of the time with a competent GPU but be prepared to encounter random stutters every once in a while.

europoors jimmies successfully rustled.

surprisingly yes, honestly 32gb would be fine but I figure if I don't rebuild my old /hsg/ then I can just do it all on my main computer.
>vagrant
>vmware

It's not about price, man. I'm referring to performance. Which is better?
>MSI 1070ti
>MSI Duke 1070ti
>ASUS Turbo 1070ti
>Other (please mention. PS: STRIX is NOT an option)

Attached: 1552863645514.jpg (200x252, 5K)

Looking for a nice monitor for gaming/movie watching
Budget: $600
Gfx: GeForce 1060 6GB
Just throw your recommendations out to me, I'm going to be doing some shopping over the next 2 weeks.

>Heavily multithreaded multiplayer games
with this in mind....
will the 16core ryzen be the new 2500k/2600k of it's time?!

The Gaming X from MSI is the best cooler of that bunch. Every 1070ti ships with identical clocks per Nvidia mandate, the only thing that separates them from eachother is the cooler quality which effects boost clocks and obviously silicon lottery.

My old motherboard died on me so i decided to upgrade my old i5 too.
What is the best motherboard for after effects + cinema 4d?
Are boards like Z390 Gaming Pro a meme when it comes to work?

What size? What refresh rate? What resolution? Adaptive sync important? That budget is huge for a modest card like a 1060. It will be overmatched in games by any monitor deserving of that price, not that you shouldn't have a nice monitor anyway, but just pointing that out.
There are both good and bad motherboards with gamer esthetics. Just because they're plastered with gaymer shit doesn't necessarily make them bad for work but you may be paying extra for shit you don't care about or need (overclocking, RGB horseshit.)

240hz 1080p TN:
benq xl2546
benq xl2750

165hz 27" 1440p IPS:
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
Acer Predator XB271HU

144hz 32" 1440p VA:
AOC CQ32G1

Right, quick question.

So im putting together my first gaming computer and one friend recommended me to get 32 gigs of ram instead of 16.

So currently Im looking at 32 gigs of ddr 4 vengeance lpx 3200mhz ram.

Now my question is, am I going to need this much ram for gaming and vr?

If not, then when should one get this amount instead of 16 gigs?

What sound-proof mid-tower has the best solution to dust filters out of the box?

>much ram for gaming and vr?
prolly not

>when should one get this amount
for professional use, editing n such shit

define r6 closed side

>for gaming and vr
No. If you're not running multiple VMs or doing professional editing, 16 is still quite solid. We've reached a plateau there. Also it's something you can upgrade if you ever need to.

>Now my question is, am I going to need this much ram for gaming and vr?
No.
>If not, then when should one get this amount instead of 16 gigs?
Virtual machines, AutoCAD. Basically if you need to ask, you probably don't need more than 16 GB.

xl2740* typo

Well that's interesting. I thought the Duke would be better since it has 3 fans much like the Asus Strix. So I guess the list is fine there. Cheers!

Attached: 1538600288346.gif (197x200, 2.25M)

Gamers Nexus has a video about why the Duke models suck. They have three fans but since it's a two slot card, the actual heatsink is very thin, which limits cooling ability and means those three fans (which probably aren't great quality) can struggle a little. If you're limited to 2 PCI-E slots of thickness though, the Duke would be a good option. The Gaming X is a 2.5 slot thickness so even though it has two fans, the actual heatsink is much beefier.

what is the minimum m.2 ssd size should i get to be exclusively a windows 10 boot drive,

A 650w pcu is overkill with a good margin for your system, 850w is a huge waste

The duke is awful
So is the turbo wtf are you retarded? just look at it. the fuck is wrong with ur eyes
MSI Titanium is okay. I'm assuming that's what you mean by just "MSI". Or that one that's the titanium but red shroud, same thing.

like wtf are you doing trying to build a PC go pay your nephew some Vbucks to make it for you

Depends on memory latency or how well the double cache improves games.
It's not so much about core counts. 8c/16t should be enough for close to a decade if just 60fps minimum is your goal. But not when it comes at the cost of being a housefire like the 9900k.

Stop idolizing the 2500k. It wasn't that good. It stuttered like shit and could hardly run some 2013 games, and definitely couldn't with much running in the background. That was 2 years after it came out. It did not age nearly as well as the 2600k which was pretty much fine until 2 or 3 years ago, 6 years after it came out.

thats a shame, i liked the duke, was going to play duke nukem with it soon as i got it

The best of all worlds, I have no space limits for size.

I dont think youll find many good m2 ssds small enough for just windows and stil be a good ssd. I think a better option would be for you to get a decent 128 gig/256 gig one, install windows then partition the rest into a new drive.

256Gb, most m.2 drives don't have 128 anyway. Also, go with nvme, it's same price as sata nowadays and have other advantages.

>if you need to ask, you probably dont need more

Alright, thanks a lot guys, saving me half a weeks worth of pay.

2tb

jokes aside I think the smallest u can even find is 250gb. but its not good gb/price value. 500gb is just a tiny bit more expensive

u think zen2 will degrade that bad that it can only push 60fps? it's mostly gpu after all

60fps is trash tier

well lets idolize the 2600k then. just using it as a well known hallmark since it lasted long

>But not when it comes at the cost of being a housefire like the 9900k.
havent u seen the engineering sample benchmarks vs the 9900k? Power efficiency is really good and its 7nm.

>I bought the 9900k

Are you dissapointed, /pcbg/?

well fuck, i was all set to buy it and get those 3 games, time to chew ass and kick bubble gum
does msi have anything in its 2080 line up thats worth while or should i just look elsewhere

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CvPHyX
my storage is a damn mess, tryin my best to stay at 4k or below, what would be a good way to fix this up?

also, solid side panel cases that have good airflow, why is there only 3 or 4 in existance

I wish I had a nephew my dude
>Or that one that's the titanium but red shroud, same thing.
That's reassuring.

Final question, what CPU fans are there that are excellent but AREN'T Noctuas? I can't seem to think of anything else.
OR: Is the new 212 Black(ed) or any 212 variant as good as the original popular model?

Attached: 1533066372435.jpg (404x521, 179K)

I said 60fps minimum as in 1% minimums. Yeah 10 years from now, 8c/16t might be what 4c/8t is today in games and just barely manage around 60fps 1% minimums in a lot of games.

The 2020 consoles are going to be 8c/16t it looks like, probably around 3GHz. They'll probably be doing 60fps in some games, 120 in others.

The Zen2 one? Yes it looks like 65 watts outperforming the 170watt 9900k. Pretty crazy.
Zen2 looks like it'll completely cover *lake+++++ in a huge dump in productivity and servers with that performance. But gaming is yet to be seen, as the vast majority of gaming performance currently past having a 4c/8t or better CPU is the memory latency. Ryzen currently doesn't have great memory latency, and the chiplet design COULD make it worse, we don't know yet.

But anyway, games are more memory latency intensive than any other application. But 32Mb of cache may also largely fit what is frequently hit each frame. So we'll see.

212s are not great these days. Check out bequiet's high end models for "comparable to Noctua but not actually Noctua" kind of quality. Cryorig has some good ones too.

What's a decent 1080p 24" or 27" monitor? It's going to be used as a secondary monitor in a dual setup, so I'll probably just keep browsers or media on it while I'm playing on my main monitor. I want to spend as less as possible without getting some no-name chink brand that will die after two months. IPS or TN? Considering pic related.

Attached: hp ips monitor.jpg (1501x710, 266K)

with the release of the new ryzen gen this summer i want to upgrade a little bit
what are some top-tier cases at the moment? i dont need RBG-meme shit. also should i go for water cooling or stay with air only? never used a water cooler do i need to replace the water at some point?

I think if you get rid of both of the ssds, replace it with a 1tb samsung 970 evo plus and use it solely for applications and games (stick your data, pictures movies etc. on the mechanical) youll be able to go a long way without needing an upgrade.

Im not 100 percent on aussie prices but it should cost around the same as the 2 ssds combined. Youll have 250 gigs less of ssd storage but the 970 evo has around 5/6 times faster read and write speed than the ssd you picked if im not mistaken.

Try a build with a Ryzen 2600, Asrock B450M Pro4, RX 570, 8GB of RAM (at least 3000MHz), Corsair CX450, 256GB SSD and a cheap case. Bot familiar with prices in the UK but it shouldn't be much more than £500.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VLtBV6
nice, i think im almost done

>should i go for water cooling
No.

i have one of these as my 2nd monitor, for the price it's solid
my other monitor is an asus pa248q and colors are visibly off on the HP compared to the asus but it's still decent enough

>1920x1200
I wants it bruhs. My old secondary monitor was 1920x1200, but I gave it to my gf after she got a desktop. Maybe I should look for a monitor with that. I don't know. Thanks anyway for the feedback.

why not? just curious honestly. i never thought about getting a water cooler since they are atleast double or tripple the cost of a good air cooler.

zen2 being WORSE in gayming would be a disaster for amd
I dont understand how ppl think that this would happen.

>why not?
Anything short of a custom loop for an extreme overclocker is a waste of time and money. AIOs are less reliable, noisier, and generally more expensive than top tier air coolers all while performing the same. They're the definition of a meme.

R6 + D15

AIO: cost more, more noise, equal performance to air, more risk leaking, less reliable (more parts breaking long and short term)

Would also recommend going with a different series of 2080 than the duke, considering Australian summers ofcourse. The card doesnt have the best cooling.

Similair series would be the msi trio which has better cooling than the duke.

Avoiding RGB nowadays is hard. Wether you like it or not the best things will tend to come with rgn lights. Just things to turn off.

If youre inexperienced, Id go with an aircooled case rather than going with liquid cooling.

Liquid cooling tends to have better temperatures ofcourse and the noise reduction that comes with that however there is more maintenance involved

And no, I do not believe the water has to be replaced as its a closed loop. Just have to make sure you remove any airbubbles from the loop before you start gaming.

Here, this memory is in the QVL of that mobo and you can use the 2 nvme slots for storage. VRM setup is equivalent.
Samsung evo isn't better than the adata... don't pay for the name. If you want more storage share a usb3 drive on your router for your archives/backups/music, etc... spining rust is way too loud.

also get a win10 key on ebay for 13$ or at cdkey or whatnot. And ditch the meme mouse, wireless is stupid in everyway.

Is jumping on Tr4 worth it?

If you have to ask, then no.

swapped in thanks user

the mouse/headset are place holders, im looking into them 2 because last mouse i had that felt comfy was the g502 and i think it might be similar but i wont know unless i can get my hands on it before i buy it, my last headphones were beats studio and i liked the bass and noise isolation and the razor line up looks like it might be similar aswell but again without seeing for myself i wont know that either, plus when i got my table i forgot to take into account where i was going to put my pc, dont want to put it on the desk because cats and im not sure if i want to sacrifice the drawers to make some room down there so its possible i might need to put it off to the side of me abit thus needing a mostly wireless setup
w10 is another place holder, going to look into getting a cheap key but thought i would worry about that once i have it
i have hit the 4k ceiling for now so no more room to fuck around, might be the lack of sleep or lack of knowledge but know idea where your going with the storage suggestion

What's the cheapest good 1080p 60Hz monitor?

Any reason why one would purchase an overclocked RX 580, the 590, for gaming at 1440p? I know it works fine for older games, but you will have to turn down the resolution sooner rather than later if you're planning at all to play newer games. Just curious.

Because gaming is a small market.
AMD is taking 85% of Intel's biggest market, datacenters. They make far higher margins off of Threadripper and Epyc.

It is totally *possible* that Zen 2 could be slower or around the same performance in gaming. I'm not saying it will, or that's a prediction, but it's *possible*. I'd keep your expectations low ie similar to Ryzen 2000 in gaming but lower power and lower price (per core).
It's not like the $520 9900k gets 144fps in all games, either, so I really don't understand why people are so autistic-yet-ignorant over this stuff.

Whatever you can find on craigslist.

590 is not an overclocked 580. They run at the same voltage. 590 is on Samsung's 12nm, a different process. That's a lot of of a technology lesson for free to a brainlet like you, I know, so enjoy it.

the RX590 is on a slightly improved node and not just overclocked but no, it can be skipped

>1440p
Go up to a 1660ti, or a Vega 56 if you're willing to undervolt/overclock.

meant to say g700

>similar to Ryzen 2000 in gaming but lower power and lower price (per core)
Sounds like music to my ears.

what am i looking for on how to decide what motherboard i should buy? how do i know if a 120$ mainboard is better than a 170$ mainboard for me?

>590 is not an overclocked 580.
It's the same exact architecture, faggot.

Update that shit, nigger. MSI used international rectifier 3599

Attached: D419451C-EE18-4630-9E7B-1304DD9CC97A.jpg (371x352, 74K)

>AMD is taking 85% of Intel's biggest market, datacenters.
Lol

buy an xbox

Many console games run at 1620p at 60fps. 1440p is easier to run than that, and the 590 is more powerful than the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro GPU.
Console-quality settings is fine for a lot of people who use a PC for other things and don't want to buy a console or spend more than they need on a GPU but who want the productivity of a 1440p monitor.

Plus 1440p on low-medium or medium-high settings is often better looking than at 1080p ultra.

Features in the BIOS, stronger VRM if you're doing serious overclocking or have a housefire CPU like the 8700k/9700k, whether it has the PCI slots you need and in the positions you want them, number of SATA connectors, etc.

1080Ti is also the same architecture as a 1050Ti. Your attempt to argue demonstrates your stupidity.

Just built my new PC, kept my RX480 from my old one because it's still fine. For some reason, it seems to be throttling itself randomly - always slightly under 70c but it shouldn't be temperature throttling at just 70c. Wattage also jumps around - but that shouldn't be it either, I was running this with a 2500k on a 500W PSU just fine, now with a 2700X on 620W.

The vertical line here is about where the throttling stopped. It seems to come and go. Should I take the card out and replace the thermal paste? Is that easy to fuck up?

Attached: Untitled.png (1009x513, 237K)

any advice about RGB fans that are also PWM?

Nah, cant really fuck it up. Just be careful and make sure you clean every last bit of old paste off then stick new paste on there, reattach etcetera.

Simple job of unscrewing, cleaning and replacing and screwing back on.

Okay /pcbg/ I have had hard times but I am finally ready for an upgrade now that I have some extra income I feel I can spare for it. What do I update first? Here's my specs
>i7-920
>GTX 660
>10 GB 1333 RAM
>GA-EX58-UD3R mobo
>500GB Samsung 850 EVO and like 12TB in external HDDs
I can't afford an entire new computer yet, and I can't upgrade the cpu without also getting a new mobo, so the most logical choices are either the RAM (which will be quite old and slow) or the video card. Are there any compatibility issues if I upgrade to say a GTX 1660? I'm still using Windows 7 Ultimate (thanks House Party)

Uhh it's normal for newer GPUs to not run at a fixed frequency.

Your 2500k was bottlenecking it so it wasn't running flatout before. That's obvious since a 2500k will bottleneck even weaker GPUs than that. Now it is with your 2700X. It's almost surely as simple as that.

915mhz is low if that's the high point. I don't see where on the graph that's supposed to be. But not abnormal for some applications which may hit its power limit

A 1660 should work fine in that PC but your CPU and slow RAM will bottleneck it massively.

Here's the specks of an old server I pulled out of a dumpster.
I feel like the graphics card has aged a bit worse then the rest, should I upgrade it? and if so, to what?
Intel Xeon W3540
16 GB ram
Quadro FX 3800

Temps are not the problem.

Yes, I know it'll still have the bottleneck, but will I still see a good performance increase going from the 660 to 1660? I could use the 1660 in a new pc whenever I get around to that.

Your ram, cpu and motherboard are all going to have to be upgraded together. Don't even think about doing them one at a time. I'd look for a deal on a ryzen combo.

Going by

tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

You could probably get away with upgrading your card first, but it will be somewhat limited by the rest of the build, especially in cpu intensive games. SSD is good though.

literally nothing. you need to start from your PSU because its massively unlikely it will be able to take any recent GPU thanks to its age

get a good GPU, then work on the mobo/ram/cpu combo. go AMD since their mid and low tier range are pretty good money wise, once you get that you can sink your teeth on a used GTX

Upgrading a rig is a gradual thing. Im afraud that with the age of your components then youll run into exactly what youre describing which is
>If I upgrade x I also have to upgrade y

Which at that point Id just save up for an entirepy new rig.

what would you plan on doing with it?
is that ECC ram?
ill be honest and if you wanna use it for actual server things you will need to investigate why it was dumped instead of sold for parts

The line is a bit off, 915 is the low point, 1303 is the high. I very highly doubt my 2500k @4.3 was bottlenecking the 480, it always ran at full speed before. It shouldn't be power limit either, because I have that pumped up to +50% of base in Wattman.

Poorfag here
I saw a workstation with these specs for nearly 300 bucks
Intel Core i3-3220 / GeForce GTX 1050 2GB / 8 GB DDR3 / 500 GB HDD
Is it worth it? Is it enough for 60fps on 720p?

Attached: 1554055994204.jpg (254x255, 27K)

Oh yeah I should have mentioned the PSU, I had to replace one that died in 2012 or 2013. I believe it is a 650w.

Yeah I know, the RAM I could probably replace 6GB with 12GB for about $70 or so. Triple channel. That would put me at 16GB.

Guess I'll just keep saving then.

Attached: 1553900326539.jpg (400x400, 27K)

>Yeah I know, the RAM I could probably replace 6GB with 12GB for about $70 or so
Yeah that. Don't do that.