Who using suckless?

Who using suckless?
st, dwm and dmenu here

Attached: suckless-h.jpg (1040x620, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/LukeSmithxyz/st
aur.archlinux.org/packages/st-scrollback-git/
github.com/tinycorelinux/tinyx
suckless.org/project_ideas/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Some hunks fail when I try to patch st with scrollback or themes, I think I'm a brainlet. Yes, I know I probably applied some patches with different version numbers, but almost no patches have the same number as the latest st version, for example there's no 8.0.2 scrollback patch. I gave up and stuck with xfce4 terminal.

>st
I already use st
>dwm
I use i3, and I don't have any problem with it that would make me change wm
>dmenu
rofi is better

You can just apply these patches yourself if something failed. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

>Jow Forums is not your personal tech support

Would you help me with this anyways?

I recently switch from urxvt to xst. It's not bad.

This, scrollback needs to be updated to the current patch

But I do use st, dwm, dmenu and other suckles endorsed progrmas.

I admire it from a distance. In reality I have far too little free time to mess with that stuff when KDE does everything for me.

Not the guy you originally asked but if you only care about getting your setup running without knowing how everything came to be you can use based Luke's fork of st with some neat functions working out of the box, given your description this has everything you need

Shit, forgot link.

github.com/LukeSmithxyz/st

I don't mess much with it. Wish i could you show lmao

>implements C++ STL on top of C (because C++ sucks so much, let's reinvent it!), adding lots of useless data types for "portability" and "readability" reasons. even worse, it is not possible to write robust applications using glib, since it aborts in out-of-memory situations. glib usage is required to write gtk+ and gnome applications, but is also used when common functionality is needed (e.g. hashlists, base64 decoder, etc). it is not suited at all for static linking due to its huge size and the authors explicitly state that "static linking is not supported".
>surf is a simple web browser based on WebKit2/GTK+
>surf sucks

Attached: Screenshot_20190331_181050.png (1050x469, 84K)

Open up .diff file. There are filenames, regular lines, lines with pluses and lines with minuses. Regular lines are used for alignment. Lines with minuses are ones you should remove. Lines with pluses are ones you should add. That's it.

im confused lol. Does the patch automatically apply

suckless is literal computer LARP
>look guys this program we made is better than a java enterprise monstrosity
>this is in any way an achievement

When are the folks at suckless going to support wayland?

I use st, dwm, dmenu, slock but I hate it because recompiling to make any changes sucks.

dmenu is the only thing I use, it replaced my menu/program launcher and does window switching

Just installed Gentoo for the first time recently and installed dwm, dmenu, and st on friday, I like it so far
Scrollback has an updated version in the AUR but it hasn't been released on the suckless site yet
aur.archlinux.org/packages/st-scrollback-git/

This. I can't even being to take them seriously if they all still use xorg.

Fuck wayland depends on systemd

what if they consider wayland BLOAT? and nvidia doesnt work on wayland (but they probably don't use nvidia)

No it doesn't. I'm using it without systemd right now.

Then they would be retarded because it's a 1000x simpler than xorg.

github.com/tinycorelinux/tinyx

This is the only valid alternative to Xorg.

Can someone help me understand how sequential patching works?

Base program -> apply diff based patch -> patch adds or subtracts lines -> apply next patch -> fails because diff lines don't match

At that point you have to manually patch, right?

Is this even usable though?

Yes, is minimal and doesnt need to add "features", only remove bugs whenever they appear.

suckless.org/project_ideas/
They address this. A suckless backend for surf is pretty much never likely to happen.

They need to scrap surf for netsurf. I made it run without X.

Then xorg's a steaming pile of bloat

only use dmenu, bspwm is better than dwm and more muh unix philosophy. also i would gladly use st if they implement scrollback without the need to patch things, for now its urxvt.

is bspwm lighter?

its ricing bloat.
You need to add a statusbar, keybindings and all that.

dwm comes with everything and its ultra minimal

uh wouldn't that be the opposite of bloat

nope. But go ahead

So more features with less code/ram is minimal? In that case may I present you to Ratpoison which is as minimal but more feature filled than dwm?

Attached: ratpoison.png (180x197, 38K)

i dont want more features stupid ratpoison dev

Thanks for calling me a dev. Are you a dwm dev though?

no. Theres only one dev and he has kids, a wife, a family and makes 6 figs. lol fuck

All your mumbling makes me think you are the dev shilling dwm.

i use xfce4 and i like it its great

Attached: wl_67.png (1920x1200, 290K)

>ratpoison in [CURRENT_YEAR]
literally bad stumpwm

no. I think weed made me retarded

>brainlet here
How do I change the default keybinding of st to use alt + ctrl to copy and paste like in urxvt?

>st
check
>dwm
check
>dmenu
check
>slock
check

Used to also use slstatatus but I made my own as a fun project.

Attached: 2019-04-01_05:30:23.png (1920x1080, 190K)

slock is so easy to brap

I know, you can change tty while it's locked. I don't know if there's any more secure lockscreens that doesn't pause your processes and isn't an entire login manager.

when a patch fails on file1 it'll create a file1.rej that has just the failed hunks in it.
You can open file1 and file1.rej side-by-side and manually apply what it couldn't figure out.
If a line starts with a - that means it needs to be removed/commented out.
If a line starts with a + that means it needs to be added
Lines starting with @@ tell you where it thought the hunk would be so I usually start looking around there.
Hope that helps.

Based rofi user.

i think it's changed with modkey, read and edit config.h

st+i3 is comfy af

based

>rust
ew

I use xbox

1v1 me on fuel, faggot, i'll fuck your mom

distro? nice desktop!!! love it!!

I'm more of a floating guy myself. I use cwm, the calm window manager

Attached: 1549050483361.png (477x477, 176K)

Now imagine you weren't a brainlet and could use dwm or frankenwm

>st
latency-ridden garbage without support for many important terminals like tek4014 (because the limp-wrist soi-drinking quiche-eater fagot devs don't need it).
>dwm
So irrelevant I don't even care to have an opinion on it.
>dmenu
Yech! Go see helm for a good fuzzy isearcher prompt.

>suckless
>not bitreich
trash

😂

Thank you, it's Arch.

didn't know uriel came back to life

>hate bloat to the point of recompiling and handpatching things to get rid of even basic features
>use the most bloated distro around
LeL

Stop gaslighting me.

There's a fork of slock that claims to have more security features enabled. It's in the alternatives.md list, I think.
Also google made a secure X screenlocker, don't know how minimal that is though.

Just use XScreenSaver you CADT retardos.

I used to use dwm, but I hated having to recompile it from having to make the slightest change that most sane WMs use runtime for. I switched to herbst, and my quality of life has improved.

I used to use st, but it doesn't even support something as simple as scrolling up, a feature that even the bare TTYs have. I switched to urxvt, and I didn't perceive a single dip in performance.

I used to use surf+tabbed, but because of the way it handles cookies, I have to log in multiple times for the same session, and much of my session data was inconsistent. Finally, after hopping distros, surf kept drawing red rectangles everywhere. I switched to qutebrowser, and my quality of life has imrpoved.

I still use dmenu, though. It's a nice lil tool for launching programs, and I hooked it up to password-store for my password managing needs. Pic related.

Attached: screenshot-1UzeEBBh.png (660x372, 38K)

> C is unsuited for anything non-trivial
right
> So let's keep all things trivial
wrong

st and dmenu here, I used to use surf and dwm but switched to bspwm and palemoon.

st only.
Spent too much time to realize surf doesn't match my requirements

What do sucklessfags think of Nim? It compiles to C, is a systems language and much more expressive