Should vim realistically be used at an enterprise level of production?

Should vim realistically be used at an enterprise level of production?

Attached: 1553514780206m.jpg (576x1024, 70K)

Depends on what you mean.
stock vim for production (as in development?) probably not. Too barebones.
vim with addons for development? Yeah sure that can work. You can extend it to have all the features found in most IDEs plus a few that they don't have, all without having to run a literal web browser for the usual electron shit that some of them are built on.
stock vim for production as in administrating the systems currently in use in production? Absolutely! It's the admin's best friend.

This image frightens me

|ω・`)

bluetiernen

lol enterprise text editors

Jow Forums never changes

Hello LewdBoy

linux sys admins use vi or vim
linux sys admins do not use nano
yes, it is silly
One possible benefit is that vi is a much smaller program than nano

holy shit is that a long and pointy tongue if i've ever seen one

linux sysadmins use whatever the fuck they want

helpdesk brainlets who worry about certification study guides pretend otherwise

Vim is cringe as fuck. It's the perfect text editor to go with your dollar shave club subscription, mechanical keyboard, glowing wall triangles, and $200 dive watch.

What keyboard should I use then, bigshot?

I know Linux Sys Admins and they scoff at nano, and encourage the use of vi and vim
Imagine using visudo to edit your sudoers file and having no idea wtf u r doing
vi is much smaller and can fit in embedded device easier than nano.

Do you people even know any linux sys admins? And Im not talking about windows admins who have to deal with the occasional linux server. Also not talking about mac fags. So, do you seriously know any Linux Sys Admins?

only if it makes u more productive.

Based

i know a linux admin that doesn't know how to use vim
checkmate

Attached: 17a8a825d185e659c6a292e97950e6b4.png (800x1200, 465K)

If you buy a keyboard (or anything) because an anonymous poster on the internet influenced you to then that also becomes cringe as fuck, even if it's not a bad choice. I can't help you. Mechanical keyboards aren't inherently cringe, but certain ones or being combined with things like in that list are.

Yeah, I do.

Yeah, I know plenty and none of them give a fuck what they use to edit config files. Vim is only used because it's on every single system.

I *am* a linux sysadmin. everyone knows how to use vi, but you still use whatever you want for regular editing. nobody puts a text editor on an embedded device. you cross-compile to the target arch and flash the image from a control host. and nobody uses visudo; that's what config management is for

I don't understand why you're so committed to this weird-ass third-party gatekeeping

well, what does he use?

Literally who gives a fuck what kind of text editor you use? If my boss came into my office because he didn't like me using notepad++ I'd laugh in his face and quit my job. Being elitist about a text editor is next level petty and reserved for the most retarded of devs.

I would consider my router an embedded device. With openwrt installed, it included vi

I have no idea what you mean by config management, unless you are seriously suggesting you shouldnt use sudo at all. ; visudo is the proper way to edit your sudoers file

Im not committed to anything. Im training to be a linux sys admin, my sys admin instructor scoffs when we use nano, and the book were reading says dont let other linux admins catch you using nano

lots of this is just jokes im sure, everyone settle the fuck down

t. a nano user

>I *am* a linux sysadmin
Can you please tell me what training, schooling, and/or certificates you received before becoming a linux sys admin?

Can you tell me what youre starting pay was? Can you tell me what your current pay is?

>Literally who gives a fuck what kind of text editor you use
because what if you need to edit a text file on a system with only 8KB hard-drive space. youre sol if you dont know how to use vi

Image being unemployed

i am an engineering technician.

>bluetiernen
Her bf makes me irrationally angry.

Filtering that disgusting whore's image.
Thanks OP.

>ywn have qt redhead tomboy gf with tongue long enough to lick back of your throat
why even live

Attached: 1414392987886.jpg (530x444, 33K)

>reddit spacing
>training to be a sysadmin
leave

I am a Linux/Unix sysadmin and everyone uses vim but no one cares what text editor you use... unfortunately, our host machines are running win10 (corporate policy) so I use notepad++ on the host but when I’m on a RHEL box or editing an ansible playbook or whatever I use vim.

Why wouldn’t you use WSL?

>back of your throat
>not your asshole

I barely do any work on the win10 machine directly. It’s basically just for outlook, browser for vsphere and to run Mobaxterm. All my work is done thru ssh sessions to the data center

rimjob while deepthroating your cock

>at an enterprise level of production?
in a corporate setting?

See, I said the same thing you did, but used the words correctly, and used less words. Think about it.

>Should vim realistically be used at an enterprise level of production?
Should vim be used, possibly. Can vim be used, yes. Is vim used as part of a coping mechanism for inadequacies in your personal life, *reads thread*, yes it is. Its just a text editor.

>muh paper before expertise
Kindly kys

is this a shop

That's one hot lesbian (god i wish i had that tongue).

Only if the workers are efficient with it

I am a Linux Sys Admin and I use nano more often than vim.

dont see many people use vim, not because htey arent l33t enough but because normie devs use sublime/atom while hardcore low level devs use their own tools/company proprietary software

>Can you please tell me what training, schooling, and/or certificates you received before becoming a linux sys admin?
none, none, and/or none.
>Can you tell me what youre starting pay was? Can you tell me what your current pay is?
started around $65k, currently making around $150k, but this is in academia so I've traded cash for bennies

I have an ACTUAL PENSION PLAN ama

>not both

Attached: 1541606979935.png (512x422, 231K)

Your question has no context, you have reason why or why not, that you would like to clarify so that fellow tech faggs can rip apart your logic? No? then piss off.

The answer is Yes you can use it in production level shit computing environments cuz you lack the wherewithal to make decisions for yourself.

Vim is the only editor that, realistically, should be used at an enterprise level of production. If it's not, your team is shit-tier.

God I wish that tongue were me

It makes my jimmies tingle

That's not what production means you retarded nigger faggot. It's a developer tool, not a product.

Low level dev here, I used Vim/xxd to modify a proprietary blob on our platform just a couple days ago.

cringe

LONG TONGUE IS LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGE XD XD XD XD XD

I worked in a company where vi (not vim) was the only text editor available, for security reasons. When security is a must, admin sys must be very careful with any software installed. So the less the better.

There is Emacs too.

Wife and kids?

That lady messes with my peepee ;_;

Attached: 1553870284759.jpg (615x409, 44K)

That was incredibly vague and meaningless, why don't you just admit you're too stupid to have an informed opinion on anything?

its a text editor. what the fuck does this question mean
vi is posix shit included on every system. nano pico pine whatever isn't. it makes sense to get used to using vi by using vim

Attached: DsBaZiVAAAXloB.jpg (822x598, 59K)

vi is posix shit included on every system. emacs is not. it makes sense to get used to using vim before learning something like emacs

*Realistically speaking, should vim be used for production at the enterprise level?

fuck you