Ultrawide Monitors

Well, these have been out for some time now. What's the consensus? Are they a meme?

Attached: 61RUwaqxcEL._SL1045_.jpg (1045x1044, 97K)

I like mine but I'm considering going back to 16:9 cause what I mostly do is video games

Looking for fanmade fixes that are more often than not really basic and poor gets old really quick, and for even older games it's a fucking nightmare. For productivity and work is a bless though, but I don't do much of that.

I have 21:9 1080p
It's pretty nice, I like having more space, 3 files in visual studio side by side are nice, I still have 16:9 on the side for better multitasking, but for work I feel it works pretty nicely.

Games often work in 21:9 after a fix, sometimes it works better sometimes worse(hud) but it works and I like that extra space, makes games look much better. You can always play in 16:9 too, I do that see that as cut off screen, more like a 16:9 screen with extra space when needed.

Looked into getting one but the price for a decent 1440p one is pretty ridiculous, ended up getting two 27'' monitors and a cheap armature thing for them, worked out slightly cheaper for decentish monitors and they offer more flexibility, with the second turned to portrait I can stack windows and essentially have two square monitors off of my main monitor

If only really want one monitor for some reason they're pretty nice but you're definitely paying a bit of a meme equipment tax and imo they aren't worth it in 1080p, you can really start to see the limits of the resolution at typical desktop pc viewing distances

Almost bought one but decided to save money on a 32 inch and a 27 inch vertical on the side.

You can put two windows side by side and still have plenty room to do shit. If you like gayming most shit that doesn't support 21:9 can be made to display properly with a hex edit. Also movies look great in their original aspect ratio with minimal black bars. I've been using an X34 for a few years and don't have any complaints

21:9 1440p is perfect for a standard desktop setup. i don't regret it at all, and like it more than two standard monitors

Not a meme but all the good gaming ultrawides cost a pretty penny

Even more onions than 16:9.

So htese are just leftovers from aborted bigger panels, right? Like a 4K panel had some serious fuckups in the upper half so they just cut out the functioning lower half and sold it as a superultrawide kind of thing??

Very much this.
It's nice for code and movies, everything else becomes a chore if you actually wanna use all of it.

I'm getting 2 16:9 monitors instead.

More like ultrashort

Unlikely, because of the actual resolution. Most are 21:9 with a 1080p or 1440p vertical resolution, so it would need minimum two cuts. A 4k panel cut in half horizontally would be 32:9, so the resolution would be 3840x1080, there's only one 49" Samsung monitor like that but it's of a much older type of VA they only make for monitors. On the other hand their TVs, even the non-QLED ones, all use the same type of VA, and as the models go up they add QLED filters, FALD, and ultra-wide angle surface and shit on top. It's a completely different tech stack from monitors so their ultrawides can't be cut down TVs.

Any VA 21:9 ultrawide is really unlikely to be a larger panel just because of how odd 21:9 is and there aren't a lot of large VA panels to cut it down from.

It's probably the same for IPS. I'm pretty sure if you added pieces to a 21:9 monitor to get 4K it would end up at some weird size like 35" or 40" in a lot of cases which afaik aren't common sizes anywhere

2-3 16:9 monitors side by side is better desu😃

Why are you mentioning cutting in half though? His point was about cutting top or bottom. Failed 1440p panel becomes 21:9 1080p, failed 4k becomes 21:9 1440p.

you are not supposed to trow away your old 16:9. if it just doesn't work on 21:9 I launch on my 16:9.

Got two of these 38" LGs....got used to them but I literally can't see the corners of these monitors.

My brain got used to it, but I'm thinking of selling them and going to a dual 5k/4k 27"

Attached: 38UC99_Feature_02_QHD+.jpg (1600x1090, 212K)

I enjoy mine especially for films in native aspect ratio

Attached: Wide.jpg (1800x1200, 808K)

I'd rather have 16:10.

You're better off getting a projector and watching on your wall. Watching a movie on a computer is a meme.

Also what mount is that?

I prefer it on the computer desu

Attached: Wide2.jpg (1800x1200, 1M)

So you just sit on your chair and watch a 2 hour movie? kek

But a clean setup, I like it.