Why aren't you using a Pentium III?

Why aren't you using a Pentium III?

Attached: 41IMnQin3pL.jpg (200x200, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1026234
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I did back when I was 12.

> You must be 18 to post on this website.

I had one in college. The machine to which it belonged has since died.

>implying that Core iWhatever isn't just Pentium3's welded together

>that PC memory subsystem
h-haha, nah bro, I'm good...

Attached: capture-2019-03-31-20-06-01.png (605x155, 5K)

I have no need for a space heater

Cause my 486dx2 is still rocking it for my needs.

Pentium 3 was around 1999. It is now 2019. If he was 12 in 1999 he's about 32 now. Please complete first grade before posting again.

They use like 35 watts and typically used basic little heatsinks with a tiny fan on top. Try finding even a low end desktop CPU today that uses 35 W.

Because I need an ISA slot in my retro PC so I can have a Sound Blaster 16 and get authentic OPL3 sound. I know there are Pentium 3 boards with ISA slots but they're uncommon. So I use a Pentium 2 instead.

picked up for 5$ each years ago

Attached: piii.jpg (2071x1769, 704K)

it's not 1999 anymore

I understand 750 MHz, but what is 800EB MHz? 800EB isn't a number last I checked.

arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1026234

I need SSE2 instructions

Oh okay, so Extra Bus.

It's a dumb naming scheme I agree

that's common core for you m'boi

Beats trying to distinguish Katmai/Coppermine or 100/133FSB models solely by SSpec/part number when you were looking to buy one back then.

Just bought a laptop on eBay with a 1.2GHz Pentium III, it's supposed to be here tomorrow. Gunna install Win XP, but does anyone have any recommendations for a OS to install on the side for it?

>I have no need for a space heater
You think Pentium4. Those were the housefires. 3 was tame.

Attached: 1516761605878.png (161x58, 12K)

thats really cool actually.

Windows XP is really comfy, but if you need to connect to the internet then Debian's got your covered.

Thanks, I ordered a 60gb HDD so they both should fit fine. Modern version of Debian or an older version? I'm new to Linux, only ever used Mint and a little bit of Ubuntu

As long as you have a firewall, connecting an XP system to the internet isn't really that big of a deal.

it stands for EBIN GLOGSBEED :DDDD

Modern version of Debian should work fine, just use a light desktop environment like XFCE/LXDE or go barebones with a window manager.
Well all incoming ports are blocked, but the XP machines I do have are still at SP2.

most P4s only had like 35-70W TDPs and even the Prescott housefires were 115 tops, pretty average by modern standards where so many faggots here complain about power consumption from their 250W TDP faildozer boxes

You have to remember that the Pentium 4 was the first time TDPs went above 45W for desktops. Most of the cases at the time weren't optimized for airflow, and those which were optimized were loud. Apple with their PowerPCs were also caught off guard, many horror stories of PowerMac G5 coolant leaks.

I used to have one, now that was a chip.

yeah in context of what came before them it was definitely quite a jump, but there were plenty of adequately cooled systems built around them and it's fun to laugh at faggots for regurgitating dumb memes like sheep
>many horror stories of PowerMac G5 coolant leaks.
the early delta systems were supposedly pretty shit but they fixed them on later down the road, PowerPC and POWER chips at that time really were some shit though, they made a P4EE look like a fucking atom

I could do everything I do now on a Pentium IV, at the time. Modern bloatware and bloated site code is the main reason people think they are too slow these days.

Any actual Intel processor is basically Pentium Pro from 1995, branch prediction and speculative execution bugs are still there

Yeah, I remember jumping from a nice, slim second-gen PS2 to a bulky PS3 housefire. Thanks PowerPC. Is there anything that still uses PowerPC these days?

That's actually a good question.

Attached: 1457220874986.jpg (3264x1836, 1.99M)

>implying I'm not

Attached: bx rig.jpg (1200x900, 364K)

Attached: 1498370072595.jpg (1280x1024, 226K)

>Internal speaker
I like. Was this a prebuild system?

>He uses Intel

>brand new
jealous

No, just a generic case that came with it.

they are too cool to open i don't know what to do with them
the plastic shrink rap has a "holographic" intel logo all over it , special intel plastic

Ahh. All PC cases should come with an internal speaker like that IMO, even if it's a shitty one at least it would be something. Of course this means mobos would need a header for it too

>Intel
JUST

Attached: justel.jpg (1000x1000, 119K)

>slot1 based
Not based.

most motherboards still ship with speaker support. even fancy z390 and x470 boards. just find one on ebay and you can hook it up. they were typically used for error codes.

But will it be able to use that speaker for more than just error codes, or will it actually be able to play sound from the OS through it?

>he needs isa for opl3
Look up YMF724.

Depends. Some prebuilts had the speaker connected to the sound chip which in turn was fed a signal from the motherboard so it was used for both POST codes and system sound.

Imagine unironically buying a shitlon with off-die 1/3rd speed cache.
Just fucking imagine it.

Attached: 1543271467933.jpg (300x168, 13K)

Is this the first time you have encountered "PC Speaker"?

zoomers gonna zoom

No, I have a speaker inside my computer but it's a piezo and only makes noise when I boot. I'm talking about one that can actually be used to play sounds when booted into an OS

PC Speakers can be made to play PCM, using pulse-width modulation. Was used in the 90s, music trackers usually had a PC speaker option. You can even do the trick on an IBM 5150, as the creators of 8088 MPH did.

You can buy little POWER chips for embedded stuff, kinda like MIPS and ARM.

>Was used in the 90s, music trackers usually had a PC speaker option
sounds alright too. but is last resort for anyone.

I got a cheap old Lenovo Thinkstation from the early 2010s that had an actual speaker built into the case similar to pic related. It would play sound from the OS, i.e. YouTube videos, and sounded decent. It is practical if you've got limited desk space and can't fit external speakers on it or you just don't want to fool with it.

Attached: 2019-04-01 01.41.48.jpg (998x902, 300K)

Damn, that looks like it can pump some wicked bass.

It's pretty decent, that's why I've kept it instead of blowing it up. It was a subwoofer for some computer speakers that I didn't have the rest to so I just took the driver.

But user I am right now,why aren't you?...

Attached: speccy.png (1024x2001, 106K)

I don't think it's doing very well in embedded anymore, there's still radiation-harded PPC chips at least.

>not having PII

Attached: compaq.png (800x600, 408K)

This but unironically

What OS is that? Might see about getting it on my PIII when it comes, or maybe even my PI... pic related

Attached: CPU.png (800x600, 190K)

I have a Ryzen™ 5 2600, from AMD.

It's just hwinfo running in DOS.

This guy knows

used Pentium IV since it launch and it just died on me
New intel options seem jewish
AMD seem in development of something interesting
what do

because bentium 4 had double the giggahurtz

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x480, 28K)

I've got an AT Pentium system but it's essentially just a pile of parts without a case/psu.
I suppose I could house it in an ATX case but I don't think those AT-ATX power adapters you can get work with a momentary power switch.

but I am😃

Attached: speccy.png (703x519, 33K)

I still use mine
Pentium III 800EB
4X128MB SDRAM
ATI 4650 1GB DDR2 AGP
SATA-IDE SSD 64GB

I need a 1.4GHz Tuatalin

If you’re using an Intel CPU, you pretty much are.

H-How much did you pay for that Vooodoo 5?

Attached: b6486615dc6dfc1be3a0676ceeb974107c87de9c4131a90184a4bd08882e9212.jpg (600x600, 26K)

An i7 is just an overclocked Pentium 3 with an IMC and some instruction sets bolted on.

Screw the Pentium 3, go with an AMD Athlon.

Why would you settle for an inferior processor that runs hotter?

>I need a 1.4GHz Tuatalin
I have two of these bad boys sitting in storage with a dual socket motherboard and 512MB or 1GB of RAM.

You can build a decent PC out of used parts for

But I am, user

I use a green P3 because I care about the environment.

Attached: IMG_9406x.jpg (2048x1536, 631K)

>Try finding even a low end desktop CPU today that uses 35 W

Attached: Athlon-page-007.jpg (3999x2250, 479K)

Could never afford the glorious Master race Pentium III, had shitty AMD k series.

Nice.
Do you have a Dual tualatim board as well?

holy fuck those slots were an enormous pain in the ass i remember helping my comptech teacher dismantle some surplus workstations in highschool and we ended up ripping the slot right off the board in 10% of the machines just because the cpu wouldn't come out

adam sandler is a fukin faget and so r u

Because it's not 2003 any more