I need to create a series of instructional videos for some software my small company develops...

I need to create a series of instructional videos for some software my small company develops. I need a quality microphone. Money is not too big of a concern.

It has to be a dynamic microphone. My office is far from loud, but not a recording studio; I also use Cherry MX Blue key switches.

I'm thinking about pic related, Shure SM57. It is about 100 dollars.

I will also need a pop filter and maybe a shock mount.

Attached: 111.jpg (1314x1314, 61K)

It might be a meme but you can't go wrong with a Blue Yeti

Just get a clip-on microphone and filter out background noise. It costs ~10$ and is easy.

If money is not a big concern then you should get a tried and tested spoken word mic such as an SM7 + cloudlifter or an RE20

A 57 is a workhorse but is not the first choice when recording vocals.

One other thing to consider is a cardioid condenser such as a beta 87 which offers the benefits of a condenser mic combined with the polar pattern and similar rejection of a dynamic mic

I have owned a Blue Yeti before and the background noise is horrible. I specified a dynamic microphone in the original post.

>But thanks for the help, desu.

If you're really set on audio quality, I'd look into what some of the better Youtube ASMR types use. Like Phoenician Sailor whose audio quality is outrageously fantastic. (Literally the best audio I've heard anywhere.)

They all use condenser microphones.

Rode PodMic? Rode Podcaster? Rode Procaster?

Don't know anything about audio hardware, just the audio; I listen to a lot of different ones, his audio is like fucking telepathy to everyone elses' McDonald's drivethru window mics.

further to this, using a condenser doesn't matter that much because you should be edition your audio to remove all of the dead space and properly ride the volume on the louder syllables

podcasts often accomplish this using a gate and compressor for the live performance and then will tidy everything up for the upload

>Shure SM57
Poorfag detected.

Id go sm58 over 57 for voiceover stuff. Essentially the same mic, but the capsul on the 58 is better optimized for vocals. However if your willing to go a bit up the price range then you cant go wrong with an sm7b

I have a shure sm57, it's a great mic but you also need an audio interface that has a preamp

Attached: behringer umc204hd.jpg (1000x1000, 75K)

>no 256kHz
into the trash it goes

get an SM58 over a 57. pretty much the industry standard vocal mic, at least in live sound. if you're not recording in a near-silent room a cardioid mic like the 58 will do a very good job at not picking up background noise if you use proper mic technique

>My office is far from loud, but not a recording studio; I also use Cherry MX Blue key switches.

Use the conference room.
Borrow a real office room.
Hell, use the janitor's closet if you have to.
Do not make recordings in a public space.

>they won’t even give you an office to record in

Attached: 160E4ED5-7DCA-4C47-8B85-06D3E1AD6C5A.png (200x235, 123K)

For what it's worth I have a 57 and I love it. It's more than 10 years old now. Apparently it's the mic US presidents have always used for public speaking.

256khz is a total meme, not that that's a good preamp

the sm57 is a fuckin industry standard and has a ridiculously wide range of possible uses. its not he best vocals mic, but if you have to own only one microphone this is what id recommend. make sure to get an interface with a decent preamp, as you will definitely need it with a mic like this

That one is for recording instruments, get the SM58 instead which is exactly the same but meant for vocals with a built in pop filter.
But you should also look up the Behringer xm8500, everyone says it's almost as good for about 1/5th of the price. If money really isn't an issue then just go for the SM I guess, but you could used the saved money to get a better stand / audio interface.

You can rent the equipment if you don’t plan on doing this too frequently.

You can compensate for poor audio quality with subtitles, I know I do.

99% of people who buy this meme mic would be much better off with a dynamic.
I think most people buy blue mics for the form factor alone.

Blue Yeti is oversized and records like trash unless in a dead silent environment with gain turned down to nothing. The only thing it has going for it is plug and play convenience.

You can't plug the Shure SM57 directly into the computer. It needs to be amplified

Why no one is recommending AT 2100?

sm57 is a great instrument mic and you can use it for vocals, but an sm7-b, another dynamic by shure, will be infinitely better since it is a large diaphragm dynamic. re20 is also a popular option. I'd personally pick a akg c214 or c414 over the sm7-b but if you need dynamic, the shure will be your best bet. make sure you have some good pres and converters otherwise your choice in mic will matter very little, but you dont need to break the bank on this
sm58 is literally an sm57 meant for vocals. it's good but there are better choices for recording. also pretty much any dynamic microphone is going to do a good job of not picking up background noise

I own my own company. The office I rent is a large, square room with a kitchen and bathroom. I’m too cheap for cubicles, so all of us arrange our desks in a grid.
I thought about turning our bathroom in recording studio, but it’s too small for a monitor and mic stand—I’d also have to use the toilet as my chair.

SM57 is a longtime standard go to. And durable, you could hammer nails with it. Though I believe it’s more suited for micing instruments, in which case, look up the SM58.

If you want to go on the super cheap, the Pyle Pro PDMIC78 is a clone of the SM57. Reportedly works pretty well given the price, $15-20 shipped.

Shure SM7b is industry standard for dynamic mics.