/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: thinkpad-san.png (1920x1080, 846K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.vimuser.org/thailand.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Please like my post, thank you.

Liked and subscribed.

Attached: ching chong.jpg (223x349, 36K)

what in the actual fuck, why is a fucking weeb hijacking these threads?

kys

Thinkpads =/= Weebpads

My clit mouse rubber is worn out.
Should I buy official ones, which are pricey, or buy instead those cheapo chinese that come in bulk, yet one bulk of chinese is cheaper than detailed official ones?

Attached: 1528384597288.jpg (437x437, 66K)

anime website

Attached: rin thinkpad.png (1920x1080, 821K)

Jow Forums is an anime website just like hands are used for working, not masturbating :^)

Attached: thinkpad.png (1920x1080, 984K)

hell ya brother

fuck these mentally ill tranny weebs

50% are going to commit suicide anyway

>50% are going to commit suicide
God I wish that was me

Get the official ones. Looking at them on the lenovo store, they're not too pricey considering you know they'll be comfy and work well. The cheapo ones are more of a risk and getting a bunch of identically terrible ones would be frustrating.

What's the most power-efficient distro? Or does it not matter other than running tlp?

windows 10

no major difference afaik, most power savings come from a dark wallpaper / theme, and screen brightness.

Fedora 29 is based af

-Sent from my t440s

LFS

>he doesn't have a comfy time with his ThinkPad

Attached: muh thinkpad t430.jpg (1136x736, 175K)

>he doesn't have $4000 sitting on top of his thinkpad

Attached: tpg2.jpg (179x282, 7K)

Redpill me on the x270
7-year x230 owner, and possibly looking at upgrading and giving my 230 to my mum. What are the newer x-series ones like? Don't care about >muh 7 row keyboard or >muh hinges etc. Is the plebian chiclet keyboard as good as the 230? The trackpad looks to have gotten bigger - is is better now?

Also pls like, share, and subscribe.

Attached: spurdochäir:DD.png (550x467, 180K)

>screen brightness
yes

>dark wallpaper / theme
Only on OLED, which the ThinkPads aren't

Attached: computer whizz.png (269x350, 38K)

x230 has a chiclet keyboard as well

What did you mean by this?

They improved the design of the chiclet since the x230, yes.

The x270 is a terrible purchase compared to the x250 right now though.

Get the x280 or x250

As in I never used the 7-row so I was trying to pre-empt people telling me to downgrade because of the keyboard. So they made the keyboard even better compared to the 230?

>The x270 is a terrible purchase compared to the x250 right now though.
>Get the x280 or x250
How so? I was going to get it used off eBay or similar.

Attached: hih.png (292x245, 9K)

x270 is only like 3% more powerful than an x250 but costs twice as much.

A no-brainer desu

All time with my thinky is comfy time

What is the general consensus on the T530 or the T440p?

what does "Includes Non-Removable STOP Theft Tag, fully deactivated" mean? If it's deactivated it doesnt matter then?

What's /tpg/'s honest opinion on the T580?

It's okay, I would consider it only if numpad was a must have, otherwise T480 feels superior

x201 cutest thinkpad!

Attached: 1552552636094417.jpg (1740x2320, 2.76M)

T410 a thicc

Attached: IMG_20190330_094409_compress_54.jpg (2328x1746, 2.74M)

You're just wrong.

Attached: IMAG2054.jpg (5376x3024, 2.95M)

does she let you stroke her antenna

Attached: screenshot0459.png (853x480, 328K)

>does she let you
Isn't the better question, "do I?"

Attached: 1530864327033-v.jpg (1131x1040, 100K)

Yes, motoko good thinky

Attached: IMAG2055.jpg (3024x5376, 3.39M)

I'm having a hard time choosing between two T530's and could use and hand.

One is $189 USD with free shipping and has

Intel i5-320M
Nvidia NVS 5400M
HD+ 1600*900 ips display
128GB SSD
4GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
And the Mini Dock 3

There's a couple more extras but that's the important stuff. While the other one is,

$219 USD + $25 shipping
It has every thing the other one has except it has
An optional drive, the other has nothing.
8GB DDR3 RAM
250GB HDD
A back lit keyboard, not sure if the other does
And no windows license at all.

What seems to be the better purchase, friends?

please help anons, I cannot understand "Non-Removable" part. Is it something to be concerned about?

I have no idea what that means, why don't you just ask the seller? Maybe he just means computrace but whatever that means it's not standard.

>t540p
>i5, 16gb RAM, 512gb ssd
>80€
this will be my new device to stream games to while I'm laying in my bed

Attached: IMG-20190401-WA0000~2.jpg (1021x900, 147K)

>80 moniez
what was the catch?

why is my x220 so fucking slow?

>anime website
>anime laptop

Just bought a x250 for $220 (ips screen) 8gb ram and i5

What am I in for

>have only owned a R61

X60, T7200, 3GB of ram, ultrabase and 8cell for 50eur...

Do I go for it?

What os to install?

Pls dont forget to like.

PS. Fuck weebz

That is really really old. but cheap.
Try to get 8gb ram. it must be not that expensive. I got my t420 ram for 35$.
Try to get an ssd, if its ssd compatible at all
You also need to change the battery, also do check whether the adaptor is good or even included.
>What OS?
Deffinetly not windows, In old thinkpads i found out installing windows is more of a pain.

I highly suggest you to get a newerish thinkpad. For me 420 seems to be the oldest thinkpads that you can do modern stuff, but im sure people use pre 420 machines with ease.
But going pre 2007-2008 is a bit too much imho.

PS fuck you.

Attached: stf,small,600x600-c,0,0,1000,1000.jpg (1000x1000, 170K)

ONE WEEK TO FINALLY ASSEMBLE MY FIRST T430 WISH ME LUCK BROS AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yea got an X230t as my main so speed isnt really an issue. Want the X60 because its fucking comfy size wise and T7200 models seem kinda rare. They have a 4gb ram limit, so prob wont go much higher.
Ill prob just install debian, its good enough. Or win7 if i feel like I want an actual OS on it.

open up, dust it off, take off fan, dust it off, clean old thermal, repaste thermal.
add more ram if possible
add ssd if possible
newer thinkpads tend to have shitty quality ,expect a much more fragile laptop and a shittier keyboard
128 ssd too little, even on bloody windows 7 it takes 30gb with all the updates installed. Can you handle 50-60 gb space?
8gb ram is good touch, it would take 15-20 bucks to upgrade 4gb ram (and that is if you find a replica of the original 4gb, im still scared of using two different models meself)
250gb hdd is better space but you must get an ssd regardless of what you chose.
the resolution in second one is also important do not buy 13xx-7xx memery.
you can buy windows7 license for 6-10 bucks from an ebay pajeet

Not him but doesn't the x270 have some pretty amazing performance vs battery life ratio? Especially considering it is the last gen with replaceable battery.

I member assembling my first thinkpad.
Bought 3 different t420's on ebay because I was an idiot who didnt see half of palmrest cover was gone from first and 2nd one had a low resolution

The one i bought for 40$ was ''parts only with no harddrive'' but only wireless was not working i fixed it, changed its wireless card, its adapter, its keyboard and its palmrest from other t420's I bought, cleaned up/thermaled inside, got an ssd, got a good battery and I'm quite satisfied.

It was really a learning experience for a retard like me. Tought me a lot. At the end of the day most ebay purchases are a gamble, they are either retarded boomers who don't know their stuff or professional sellers who can try to fuck you over.

>Want the X60 because its fucking comfy size wise
yeah they are the ones with taller screens right? I miss those screens. I really fought hard against widescreen but covered in 2013.

GUYS, is this worth it?
310€ for W520 with full hd led (95% color gamut), 16gb ram, i7-2820QM, 240gb SSD, 500gb HDD, good battery, charger. Without docking station

yea 4:3, XGA.
Its an alright price.

Oh, also quadro 2000M

Okay price.
I miss 4:3

we leddit now hahah
please upboat

ps avoid t570/t580/p51s/p52s

t. gohnoo slash basedpad user

they have an issue with the base cover fucking up the MB and they dont recognize the ssd
unless under warranty dont buy

Attached: gnu-soypad.png (1500x438, 472K)

>t. chink shill for lenovopads
nigga we both know you don goofed when making that base cover

Should I get a T400 for $40? It's the good one with the T9400 and the Radeon card but it has a missing middle click button and no battery.

Attached: T400.png (930x690, 510K)

I'm an idiot and forgot to mention the most important part about the second laptop. It has an i7-3520M

just bought t430 for around 150 bucks
did I get memed tell it to me straight

I want an autistically-secure laptop which also isn't complete shit, I'm thinking on buying a librebooted T400 with ME disabled to install OpenBSD on it, does it sound good to you lads ?

Attached: 1554107851288.jpg (1241x1241, 92K)

How do I make the x220 touchpad + trackpoint work together as nicely as possible on Win7? I want double finger scrolling with the touch pad, and also scrolling by holding the middle mouse button + moving the trackpoint, as well as closing tabs with the same button. I installed ultranav but I can't seem it to work quite like i want it to, with the touchpad and middle click enabled i cant make the scrolling trackpoint scrolling work like I want.
Hope someone could make some sense of this confusing shit i just wrote.

Imagine unironically buying a newpad when you're not doing heavy editing/rendering/compiling/et cetera

Attached: IMG_20190401_180445.jpg (2947x2976, 3.56M)

>tobacco
enjoy your cancer

I bought nupad to browse internet and play video games on it and I enjoy it.

go for it you can get a new keyboard and battery

Yeah, it does have better battery life than X250, albeit not by a lot. If you stick the fat 70 Wh battery in it, you can get like 20 hours of light web browsing. Also, iirc X270 can take a NVMe SSD while X250 can't, but it requires a special cable and an adapter for the 2.5" slot, so it's not really worth the hassle.

You can look at X260 as a compromise between the two, there's pretty much no difference between 6- and 7-series Intel processors (and 6-series is the last one you can install W7 and W8.1 on without acrobatics, if you care about that)

>new keyboard
do i need an entire new keyboard or can i just take it from my x200?

take the button*

different design unfortunately

found one for $7 with missing keys
can i take the middle click button off without breaking it?

GUYS ANSWER ME PLS

libreboot it yourself

why ?

cheaper
more fun
+10 Jow Forums autism points

>cheaper
but I want to support free software user :^)

i dont think that's how that works

He’s probably talking about buying one from Minifree. Unfortunately all you accomplish by doing that is supporting the crazed tranny behind that company. I have nothing against Libreboot and own a libre‘d X60, but that person can starve in a landfill.

unironically based

this
you can just do it yourself and then donate to libreboot or coreboot or whatever

based

>He’s probably talking about buying one from Minifree
correct
>Unfortunately all you accomplish by doing that is supporting the crazed tranny behind that company
gib proof please user

Attached: 1554128434479.jpg (900x1200, 204K)

blog.vimuser.org/thailand.html

>Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.
yikes desu senpai
still, it's a compromise I'm willing to make

Reminder that if you don't have at least a 1920x1080 IPS display, you're going to get eye cancer.

Its 2019

Get a job and get a real laptop!

T440s masterrace

Attached: Snapchat-343767982.jpg (1296x2536, 690K)

>tfw 1440p👌

holy shit, why are there so many trannies in the FOSS community
except for BASED OpenBSD of course

Is a T440s with FHD, 12GB RAM and i7 for around 300€ a good deal?
from germany btw

Very good deal!!! Congrats

Yo Idab do you know what happened to ThinkPadDesu?

Redpill me on getting brand new L580 instead of T460 in resale. I need you anons more than ever!

Trannies have a 50% suicide rate

Its no surprise when one of them goes missing

ignore both and save up for t480

that thing costs around 1300 euros out here, if you get a good deal you can find it for 900. With the upcoming 90' serie prices should drop down, but since I have seen spects people will just ignore it and rather wait for next one.

I don't have a thinkpad, but I figured this should be a good place to ask stuff related to laptop upgrades.
I have a X555LD asus laptop and it has a shitty 768p screen. I've seen online that this model uses a 40pin LVDS connector on the screen, and the 1080p models in the same line use 30pin edp.

So if I want to get a full hd screen for this what should I do? Should I get a 40 pin LVDS and hope the cable is dual channel? If that doesn't work, should I get some replacement cable and hope the board supports dual channel? Or should I try one of those LVDS-edp converters?

Attached: board.jpg (1000x1000, 317K)

>ask stuff related to laptop upgrades

NOPE! This thread is for business laptops only.

You can leave now please :D

I use my laptop to do my business

So yesterday I overhauled my x61 tablet. I replaced the motherboard, the fan/heatsink, and the hinge. Everything else remained the same, but those actions basically required me to take the whole thing apart.

There were some problems, and at the time I didn't have a well compiled list of them. Now I have a more general idea of exactly what the symptoms are.

1) (intermittent) system sometimes fails to boot. Power button is pressed, some of the indicator lights on the screen bezel turn on, the fan spins up briefly, then it shuts down again. trying again usually has the same result. If I remove the AC power and battery for a while, then try again, sometimes it helps. Othertimes, I have found that re-seating the keyboard cable will help.

2) (intermittent) after the system boots, sometimes the keyboard will abruptly stop working. This includes the mouse buttons and trackpoint. Usually the pen digitizer still works, as well as a usb mouse. Shutting the system down sometimes fixes this, also reseating the keyboard seems to fix it as well.

3) (intermittent, only happened twice) It appears that the sometimes, the system boots without turning on the backlight. It seems like it doesn't boot further than post.

4) (consistent, always happens) The battery indicator light occasionally blinks green. This is not normal behavior for it.

5) (intermittent, only happened a few times) after booting, the system sometimes experiances periods of bad lag/it locks up.

My best guess so far is that the problem is keyboard related. If the system wont boot if it there is a keyboard error, that would explain the failing to boot. an improperly seated keyboard would also explain the keyboard failing randomly. The only problem is that I have reseated the keyboard, and the problems persisted. I could have just done it badly again, or the keyboard itself could, coincidentally, just be going bad at this exact moment.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be, or how to fix it?