Reddit Spacing

Is there a programming / security reason reddit does their site like this? Surely it can't just be incompetence.

Attached: DZ598D7VMAAJUFt.jpg (866x475, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spec.commonmark.org/0.28/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

"reddit spacing" has been a thing on Jow Forums long before reddit was even around or popular. I didn't even know that reddit formatted their text like that, I guess it would take a redditor like you to know about that.

That's how markdown has always worked

Can you people not read? The OP wants to know why this happens. I bet you won't even understand why I'm replying to you. It's funny how you whine about Redditors, but people like you are contributing to the decline in post quality and intelligibility on this website.

this

Make it look like more text content then there really is.
Typical brainlet strat to pad their small penis.

'Reddit spacing' is probably the lamest attempt at outing users for being seekrit klub outsiders so far

seething reply, OPs picture been circulating this site for awhile now

Can YOU not read? That's how HTML renders line breaks by default, dude just explained it to you.

It's Markdown you retard, anyone who is used to writing Markdown is going to do that.

It has nothing to do with Reddit, I hate you, goddamit.

So it is an oversite?
They don't know to replace a carriage return with a br ?

>intelligibility
get the fuck outta here, wannabe intellectual reddit faggot. Hope you and your gang of redditors kill yourselves

>KassTheGikes
That shit never gets fucking old.

working with Markdown turns you into a retard? Thanks, I'll know to stay away.

It was always mildly common on Jow Forums, but it has grown exponentially in its use

Fuck I miss Digg

you need to go back

> this is reddit spacing

not

this
Good april fools joke though

Attached: 1507974952911.jpg (540x540, 44K)

#liked

Attached: reddit spacing.png (640x419, 59K)

On here, it isn't reddit spacing. It is phone post spacing, due to small screens and wrap around shit.

Actual reddit spacing is using three carriage returns. On reddit it will give you one line between paragraphs. On Jow Forums it gives you two.

I definitely remember "reddit spacing" years ago when 9gag and funnyjunk were the boogeymen. Times change user, I bet no-one even remembers what ISHYGDDT means.

To be quite frank with you ladies and gentleman. But if I'm writing a verbose and lengthy message like this. But probably longer than just that. Enough to actually seem like actual content and not padding like this. Seriously. This entire line has been padding

Then it only makes sense to separate it with a new line in between. It not only serves as a clear distinction between two separate but relational pieces of thought, and helps communicate to the reader when one thought starts, and one thought ends
This on the other hand is complete garbage. Depending on how you actually lengthen the previous line, it's not even apparent that I wrote a new line at all. This just serves to potentially confuse the reader when that person is skimming paragraphs to get the gist of the post

It

reflects

the

way

we

naturally

read.

>shiggy
>old
Get the fuck out

Don't you mean github spacing?

just reddit being the niggers of the internet again

Attached: 1540464556035.png (533x601, 210K)

>Reddit cope

>complaining about reddit on Jow Forums
Why the fuck would you even think this was a good idea?

>on Jow Forums since 2008
>some frog posting faggot quotes me and accuses me of reddit spacing
>dont even know what that means

thanks user i never knew wtf they were talking about. so using paragraphs outs you as a reddit user? ha youre gay and should kys.

Attached: boom.jpg (633x640, 51K)

I've using 'reddit spacing' here since fuckin 06
op is just one of those election fags that thinks hes old school for being here longer than a year

It absolutely has not. If anything it has reduced because people don't want some dumbfuck electionfag teenager "correcting" them.

If every single sentence starts a new paragraph there is a high chance, that the person in question actually just wanted to break with a single newline.
As such it becomes more likely the person is from r*ddit, especially if you are suspecting the person of being a r*dditor in the first place.

>reddit spacing
Get a load of these zoomers.

Attached: ruddot spacing.png (803x583, 16K)

I'm glad that I have shitposted so hard that I have become a literal mind virus in your brain

What are you talking about?

Github does this same shit with their readme files.
Why the fuck would you just ignore a carriage return and then use 1.5 when there are two?
It's fucking stupid.

penis

Rolled 4 (1d6)

Reddit spacing is a good thing because it help us spot and disregard faggots newfags who use it here.

I think double spaced paragraphs are fine, but it's if you have a sentence or two, that's when people start getting antsy about Reddit spacing.

This lmao
You fucking niggers have reddit live absolutely rent free

Attached: fgh47.jpg (1126x200, 55K)

kys yourself newfag

Your fortune: You will meet a dark handsome stranger

>bikeshedders don't know what markdown is
It's really amazing how fucking garbage this board has become.

subscribed.

moot works at google, he's basically the most onions redditor in existence.

This is true. I've always "reddit spaced" online for readability sake. No one online rights correct paragraphs and if you do people don't ready your posts because you're an asshole.

Attached: 1509533870087.jpg (400x267, 20K)

>Is there a programming / security reason reddit does their site like this? Surely it can't just be incompetence.

If you've ever seen emails in corporate america you'd know why people break up long sentences with two enters instead of one. Two giant blobs of text touching each other is not even proper writing. Literally pass first grade english and you'd realize people want and prefer you to break up details over several paragraphs and not one blob.

Subhuman fucking chink.

I think the problem is with html ignoring white space inside text content. If it rendered line breaks like the pre html tag but had text wrapping it would just work. But some sperg had to over complicate html from the beginning with their 80 character command crap autism.
That's why these stupid libraries for formatting exist.

>formatting your text in nice paragraphs is bad

It's like some autist names one thing and everyone repeats after him.

Nice to see so many of my fellow Redditors here on Jow Forums!

What's your favorite subreddit guys?

>but it has grown exponentially in its use
It's literally because people habitually format text for the quick reply window, that only became a default feature semi-recently.

its just more and more formatting.
every form of written communication has a style guide.
seriously
talk to a graphic designer
newpaper journalist
science research publisher/editor
technical writer
speech writer
et al..

they all have a certain style.
i think the spacing more closely reflects formatting in newspaper articles. As there is often spaces between paragraphs instead of just starting new line on indent.
each paragraph is a new idea, and journalism is about delieving information in chunks.
also consider the vertical nature of japanese writing how its up and down, or maybe thats mandrin. as well as how infomation, writing on processes and coding is done at certain line breaks.
the formatting seems to be achieving synthesis between the narrative prose style and "machine" style.

Attached: download_13.jpg (391x571, 45K)

▲ ▲

▲ ▲

Fuck a Chrome book

last I saw shiggy was 2012, 7 years ago

>No one online rights correct paragraphs
clockwork

A thread died for this???

Attached: Nikolai_Fechin_042.jpg (702x994, 246K)

"Reddit spacing" existed before reddit.

Have you ever used latex or something similar?
Have you ever written a line of code on your life?

I guess not, otherwise you wouldn’t ask stupid questions like that.

tryhard electionteen immigrant from reddit

R*ddit is a shit website

Jow Forumstechloligy

Your fortune: Average Luck

>reading
>natural

Attached: 1514330171358.jpg (456x384, 32K)

what have I done with my life

Markdown has a semantics of line break (2 spaces at the end) and actual paragraphs (empty line).

This thread proves that Jow Forums is filled with pedophile redditors.

Attached: 1540831750682.jpg (500x322, 25K)

Markdown, motherfucker.💢

>>op💢

Four spaces at the end of a line in markdown produce an actual linebreak.
Can confirm :^) it works on Reddit too.

digg was a bunch of faggots just like Reddit is now. The digg migration is what made Reddit jammed packed with faggotry. Reddit was a complete digg clone and made the founders billionaires. IT really rustles my jimmies. What would another clone site have become?

fpbp

while I started using Jow Forums after reddit got big, I only used reddit rarely, and never posted so I didnt even knew it did that. but Ive "reddit space" from the begging on Jow Forums because I dont use big letters (however they are called), so I need to differentiate paragraphs somehow.

not everybody has the same screen wide (or have Jow Forums in fullscreen) so I dont know how they see my comments. I leave a line free for readability

What program is that?

I do that sometimes and I am . I do it when I might present a few separate ideas, which I dont feel putting in the same paragraph, or greentexting it

spec.commonmark.org/0.28/

Here you go you miserable piles of garbage.

Especially when you consider that a significant portion of the people who bitch about redditors definitely visit the site on a regular basis which is why they're so intimately familiar with the culture and current happenings.

Jow Forums hasn't been a "secret club" for like 10 years.

our eyes are used to scanning the horizont, not looking sky then at our feet all the time

I used to love formatting text like that before reddit was even a thing. Now I can't do that anymore, fuck this shit.

It's called markdown.

based

It's called marquee!

here is the real answer for you children too young to have used email in a terminal. the purpose of this *markdown* feature (not reddit feature) is so that you can paste in formatted emails and they will be re-wrapped according to css rules. plain-text emails are usually formatted with 70-80 character wide lines so that they fit in cli/tui mail clients on standard-sized terminals. this is preferable to unpredictable automatic client-side wrapping because the sender can control e.g. how special characters and long words at the end of lines are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. html text is not supposed to be manually wrapped like this because browsers are pretty smart and css exists, so markdown does this conversion.

this is why Jow Forums spacing is retarded:

if the end of this line happens to be at the right edge of your screen,
you can't tell if this is a new line or it just got wrapped.

it is particularly illegible on a narrow screen when you write several long paragraphs. then some lines are wrapped and some are new paragraphs and you can't tell where a paragraph ends and begins. so please, use reddit spacing. separate your paragraphs on Jow Forums with double line breaks.

>ITT we talk to kids 15 years younger than ourselves and take them seriously...

Jokes on you disphits

Space

Space

Space

have used double spacing between paragraphs since i learnt to type

Attached: type-3-4.jpg (620x413, 35K)

horizontallet

some of us high iq folk write paragraphs with many words in them, that do not fit on any screen. besides, long lines are hard to read.

he just explained it you literal fucking idiot. they use a markdown engine for their post formatting.

If you're writing proper paragraphs then double spacing makes sense.
If you're breaking up ideas, like you would when writing proper paragraphs, then double spacing makes sense.
If you just want to start the sentence on a new line for readability's sake, then single spacing is fine too. Like if you want to make sure the sentence is read from that point on, and it definitely does not build directly off the previous sentence.
If you're bullet pointing shit, like this, then single spacing is quite preferable. Green texting works too, but I prefer to leave that for quoting and paraphrasing.

The only related issue that is annoying to me is double spacing shit like single sentences. Or worse yet, single words. Because drastically increasing vertical space used like that really sucks.
But even that isn't a large enough issue to be worth derailing any thread for.

This is not an issue that's inherently caused by Reddit. And not specific to markdown either.
Trying to call people out for post formatting is retarded. And retarding. Like it literally holds back discussion of whatever the thread's topic is.

Good you wrote this. It was too tiring for me to do it.

..▲
▲ ▲

>holds back discussion
that's the whole idea

This. However, it's also why I type using less fingers as well. The spacing and height on mine combined with the rusty bars for my child hands, made it impossible to use without punching the keys with my index finger. Pretty sure it was water damaged and the space bar was missing (in place a thin metal bar).

But I simply break paragraphs when switching context, either abruptly or continuously. That's just kind of how we where taught to write English in general. I think people from other regions call it archaic sometimes. Likewise with cursive writing.

I think the format kind of inherits limitations of physical paper, and appeals to the reader through forcing margins, ultimately forcing the writer to condense the ideas into distinct sections. It's just easier to read in most websites that can't CSS for shit. Their formatting may be fucked, but yours isn't.

Attached: Sears.jpg (640x480, 56K)

epic

It's also called a "paragraph". It existed way, way before reddit and before you.

People have been "Reddit spacing" on Jow Forums literally since the fucking site started, because putting a carriage return between paragraphs makes text more readable.

Electionteen newfags desperate to be part of some sekrit club don't even realize they're outting themselves every time they whine about Reddit spacing.