Even a base install of Emacs contains several dozen applications, including two web browsers, news readers...

>Even a base install of Emacs contains several dozen applications, including two web browsers, news readers, several mail agents, four IRC clients, a version of ELIZA, and a variety of games.

How can anyone defend this?

Attached: kisspng-purple-symbol-emacs-5ab0887f5b1649.0904530515215187193731.jpg (900x900, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ergoemacs.org/emacs/swap_CapsLock_Ctrl.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gk39mp8Vy4M
bzg.fr/en/emacs-strip-tease.html/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because it’s the best test editor

No it contains 1 application and a handful of plugins that you can choose to install or not.

What bothers me more is how typing "nigger" in org mode immediately highlights the word and offers to remove it.

wrong

>learn Emacs default keybinds
>pain in pinky
>swap Ctrl with Caps Lock
>pain in pinky
>swap Ctrl with Alt
>pain in pinky
>completely change the position of modifier keys getting something like Ctrl | SPC | Alt
>still waiting to see what happens

damn, if this shit fails too I will try god-mode. If that shit fails too I will just stay evil. Fuck Emacs keybinds.

i'd like to see a more stripped down version, desu

Why do you have such an innate aversion to good keybindings that you feel the need to go to such retarded extents just to suffer?

because Emacs keybinds are everywhere in Emacs. I am learning to use elfeed, emms, org mode and dired. Having to learn an abstraction layer over Emacs stuff is just too much.

But I guess that if everything fails I will just use evil with leader keys for everything.

>retarded extents just to suffer?
I am not getting pedals or doing juggling.

>But I guess that if everything fails I will just use evil with leader keys for everything.
You do realize that using mod keys for commands and evil for text/movement isn't as strainful to your fingers as using emacs keybindings for editing text, right?

I am realizing there is not so much movement in elfeed and emms. And most of it can be remaped. Evil is just too good.

>Evil is just too good.
Which is why there is literally no reason to bother learning default emacs text keybindings. The rest of them aren't so bad that you would need to swap keys around or rebind every single command.

I found most people mix Evil with god-mode. God-mode for the times you are forced (or it is better too) use Emacs keybinds.

I found it too extreme but like I said, I don't use too many things. Not TRAMP, not Magit, not Gnus or stuff like that. I don't even program with it.

I use default emacs keybindings except I switch left alt/ctrl around and use caps lock as a hyper key.

Attached: 1553041369973.jpg (499x501, 44K)

That's why Linus Torvald use uEmacs right ?
Cause the orginial one is bloated af ?

Attached: 98b63b8d38954443f5fbd5440264fc53.png (467x960, 208K)

>be vimlet suckless tard
>have to install thousands of plugins, write shitty vimscripts and use python programs to get the same functionality in emacs
>all my co-workers are switching to VSCode or Emacs with evil-mode
>want to cry but don't because tears are bloat
>make this thread instead.
How can vimlets even compare?

Emacs is based, only brainlets can’t into it.

>vim
>suckless
It's not even funny how much more suckless emacs is compared to vim.

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the Internet and tell lies?

Have you switched to the cutest Emacs distribution yet?

Attached: gnumarisa.png (674x626, 117K)

Yeah, would be nice to remove them.

>hating fun

Attached: 1542341290741.jpg (300x225, 11K)

source

I did, but then I lost my precious thing.

>using an emacs distro
Holy fuck if you’re too dumb to read the docs and write a little elisp and install some packages you should stick to notepad.

Grand total 5 megabytes so only autists care.

It's my own emacs config I'm fleshing it out bit by bit it's coming along neatly
That is a shame
Some people want an emacs that works out of the box (although the point of emacs is configuring it to your very own liking)

>It's my own emacs config I'm fleshing it out bit by bit it's coming along neatly
Based. Sounds tight. Keep us posted so I can put anime girls on emacs.

Attached: Dz-Ll3rWwAAbxh-.jpg (852x480, 29K)

Post those dots

a lot of the bundled shit in emacs should be shoved into ELPA instead

pastebin.com/PHwQQeJd
Here you go friend

I actually prefer emacs default keybinding over vim's. Sometimes, for habit, I use vim in ansi-term, but for the rest, C-x for major and C-c for minor is perfect.
I rebound Caps to Ctrl and S-Caps to Caps.

>be amazingly intelligent muhmacs mastermind
>open muhmacs
>play tetris
is this the reason they still don't have jobs?

I started using emacs recently for org mode and gpg support

Is there any other useful thing it can do that I should learn or is it all "dude reading mail from emacs lmao" memes beyond this point?

I use it like a tiling windows manager for programming. Do you need an IDE for what?

It's probably better to use something like terminator or a terminal multiplexer for that, default multiplexing controls for emacs are really clunky and changing them probably won't work in all contexts and may fuck shit up, unless you like dealing with that kinda thing

emacs needs debloating💢

Fake news, is not included by default.

that was nice
don't let her steal it next time

Suckless has ascended to acme

Attached: Acme.png (1130x930, 55K)

>Acne

>mfw worf adds vi keys to org-mode

Attached: 1383007333681.jpg (500x311, 59K)

GNU emacs is 'bloated' because it's greatest influence was zmacs which ran on Genera.
Genera is an operating system written entirely in a single language (lisp) with a single address space, making for an environment where any code of any other program can be used in any other, and where any piece of data can be accessed from any program.
Essentially, the operating system was an advanced lisp system. All software you had was an extension to the system, every bit of code being modifiable and inspectable to the user down to the lowest parts of the operating system and to the microcode running on the CPU. A program could borrow functions or class definitions from any other program and they could access the same program objects.
In order to provide a similarly flexible environment for GNU emacs on unix, which is little more than a babysitter for individual isolated processes, a lot of the foundations of Genera had to be ported over. GNU emacs is therefore a partial reimplementation of parts of Genera, it's a minimal isolated userspace operating system written to support a text editor.

Attached: 1448505914254.jpg (800x1000, 276K)

Jow Forumsing a guide on how to debloat emacs

Attached: rem.png (500x653, 341K)

Uninstall the packages you dont want, is not rocket science.

For example ow do i uninstall the doctor?
So far ive been managing my packages with use-package and uninstalling by remiving the subdirectories in .emacs.d/elpa/, never got tinker with the packages any further than that...

On some distros where you can use flags I compile it without support for stuff I dont want like GUI, that includes image formats like png and GTK dependencies like gconf. I only have sound and GPM for the mouse on the terminal.

I'm scared of lisp

Yeah, the packages are under the repository directory.

Just copy paste what you need. In my opinion lisp is the easiest language on earth, like retard easy.

Thanks, i will try that but im not very confortable yet with compiling from source... Once the source code is downloaded, where can i find all the flags it can be compiled with?

Oh, thanks, I will look for that too.

You dont need to compile, just use your distro package manager and then install the noX version of Emacs, is terminal only. In my case I made a port to my distro exploring the configure script, it means I downloaded the source code and ran ./configure --help. then is just
./configure OPTION1 OPTION2 blah blah blah
make
sudo make install

But your distro version is probably debloated already.

you're retarded, just press the ctrl key with the side of your thumb
unless you don't have a good keyboard it works wonders

>tfw running nigger mint
>terminal version comes with a tetris with the wrong ratio
>mv /usr/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/play $backup
>games still in the menus

I think ill follow your ways and do what you told me. Hopefully there will be something for reducing the base package count. Thanks user, it was really helpful.

>learning a 40-years obsolete, domain-specific lisp dialect to rice a dogshit text editor
Fact: I have never seen a gainfully employeed programmer use Emacs on the job. In b4 Linus's microemacs

Fingerlets btfo

Attached: salad fingers.jpg (386x512, 31K)

That game is probably hiding under another name. Honestly I wouldnt even bother removing the game, knowing how easy is to make a game in lisp is likely a few hundred lines.

>side of your thumb
Yow! You mean palm, right?

uh yeah, whoops
ergoemacs.org/emacs/swap_CapsLock_Ctrl.html

Already purged it?

t. Javanigger

Attached: 9dc03a46ea6663c2a7e3bbf74a855347a445c3df.png (1470x745, 77K)

How is that bad?

Good. Racism is very bad.
Also reminder that there is no such thing as "race".

>hundred lines
Less than that youtube.com/watch?v=gk39mp8Vy4M

>there's nothing weird about a text editor having 4 IRC clients built in

>built in
Fake news

But we're talking about emacs, not a text editor. And emacs' text editor doesn't have any built-in games.

>GNU emacs is therefore a partial reimplementation of parts of Genera, it's a minimal isolated userspace operating system written to support a text editor.
This is also why it's halfway decent on Windows, because it reimplements so much shit internally.

>Fact: I have never seen a gainfully employeed programmer use Emacs on the job.
Emacs and Vim are both used heavily at Amazon.

I agree, only breeds and the nibber breed sucks

my problem was that after reading Mastering Emacs while doing some practice for 2 days I developed the Emacs pinky. Even my shoulder hurt me. I have been using Emacs + Evil 2 months ago without a pain.

I have long fingers and a shit keyboard but I guess Emacs default bindings are not for me.

most Vim users try to do the Unix way but you have to admit that Emacs completely forgets the Unix way and do the Emacs way.

I was using taskwarrior + newsboat + vim + cal + password store + cmus but Emacs with org mode + elfeed + emms and org agenda are just too good and convenient.

kek

you I right, I know a school teacher who uses Emacs.

Emacs notable for its extensibility, and I would have to spend just as much time configuring it and adding plugins to get the same interface I use in Vim.

You can set it up in a couple of days provided you don't have a bloated vimrc with 5k lines.

./configure --prefix="$PREFIX" --without-all --without-x
make -j17
make install

>17

Attached: Cores.jpg (558x695, 97K)

>--without-x
but why?

Because emacs should only run in a terminal.

Evil mode you imbecile.

>because it's greatest influence was zmacs which ran on Genera.
>Genera is an operating system written entirely in a single language (lisp)
Have you not heard of Lisp Machines?

Maybe you should ask yourself why a 40 year old program is still in active use and development, unlike most other 40 year old software which are dead.

One of the most important parts of the Unix philosophy is using multiple processes to do work.

Emacs has supported async subprocess control for decades. Vim only added support in the last few years, after being threatened by the Neovim fork by the authors of the patch.

Which one really forgets the Unix way?

>most Vim users try to do the Unix way but you have to admit that Emacs completely forgets the Unix way and do the Emacs way.
That's yet another plus. The "Unix way" is shit.

Really? What about all of the features I use in Vim that are not contained in plugins?

Emacs's self dumping during compilation is the definition of suck

>What about all of the features I use in Vim that are not contained in plugins?
Such as?

Any Emacs fags here had luck statically compiling it with musl?

The local and global list system, the undo tree, the dozens of esoteric commands, functions, and bindings I use in Vim.
Before you actually reply, be aware the point I'm trying to make is that I'm not working towards building my Vim configuration to be Emacs, I really do use Vim as it is and it does have features that aren't immediately available.

Anyone customized its modeline? I am trying to mix the modeline and the minibuffer.

>undo tree
There is package for that. Double check what you say.

I didn't see it that way. Maybe that's the reason FrankenVim is horrible compared to extremely customized Emacs.

If it wasn't for the Unix way, Linux won't be a thing right now. I agree that not everything must follow the Unix way.

Vim master race

I am aware, I've introduced some of my Emacs buddies to the undo tree and they've enabled the package. It still requires configuration to enable. The core of my argument is that I don't agree that every Vim user would have the same or less configuration to do the same things Emacs users do. Either they do have endless configuration and plugins to do what you're describing and Emacs is nothing like what they've built for themselves using a minimal system, or they use Vim's core features and don't want a ton of configuration.

rude

bzg.fr/en/emacs-strip-tease.html/
Enjoy.

Attached: emacs butterfly.gif (490x300, 48K)

I set it to die after 1 hour