Hey Jow Forums, sorry, I'm a mac retard from /p/...

Hey Jow Forums, sorry, I'm a mac retard from /p/. I'm trying to build a new computer for a video editing/photo editing workstation. At work, I use a custom built PC, so I'm fine working with PC, but I really like iMacs. So in the near future, I'm going to potentially be buying a new imac, but I'd also like to price a similarly speced PC. The imac I'm going to get is the 8core i9 3.6ghz, with boost to 5.0ghz, 512gb ssd, the standard radeon 580x, and 8gb of ram, which I will upgrade to 64gb myself for an additional $450. I will also get a student discount, so the total ends up being around $2600 for the full package.

What can I get PC wise for a similar price, but with a screen that is also 5k resolution?

Pls no bully

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 6.50.11 PM.png (2204x1342, 1.21M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Build_a_PC
pcpartpicker.com/b/qq8Ycf
pcpartpicker.com/list/mQ2DWD
pcpartpicker.com/list/XTxvJ8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

thinkpad x220

Dumb iToddler😂

Just go with the iMac.

you should buy a 4k monitor like a normal person and save $1000

MACTODDLERS BTFO🐷

Well, I'd like concrete examples of what parts I can get.

radeon 580x

>Hey Jow Forums, sorry, I'm a mac retard from /p/.
nope
>>computer for a video editing/photo editing workstation...
>> i9
>> 580x
nope
gb ssd
gb of ram, which I will upgrade to 64gb
nope
k resolution
nope
>>Pls no bully
nope

One of the dumbest trolls.

You won't get any, because a hand-assembled PC won't get near the quality of an iMac. Most people here are afraid to admit that.

Here you go friend wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Build_a_PC

pcpartpicker.com/b/qq8Ycf

I really don't see what's wrong with that? Premiere doesn't use graphic card acceleration for most video editing, I know this because my desktop at work uses a 1080, and even with cuda going, it rarely leverages the gpu, with the exception of rendering out to lower resolutions, or some graphics work, which I don't really do.

And for the cpu, my understanding is that editing programs work better with higher single core clocks, 5.0 ghz boost sounds pretty decent to me.

For the hard drive, yeah so what? I have plenty of external storage and ssd external drives to work off of. I'm just asking for an alternative that will give me the same experience

>pcpartpicker.com/b/qq8Ycf
Thank you very much. I'm going to save this!

In the incredibly unlikely even that op really is this dumb and isn't just fucking around I'll post a few incredibly obvious tips.

1: that CPU is overkill for that GPU. Buy a 2700x and put the savings into a better graphics card.
2. A 580x is great for 1080p gaming, but will be noticeably slower than a vega 64 or an RTX 2070. Take the money from the CPU and spend it here.
3. You don't need 64 gigabytes of RAM. figure out how many channels the memory controller you're using supports (two it will be two) and buy that many sticks of RAM. 8 gb isn't really enough and 32gb is probably overkill. 16gb is fine, but go with a 32 gb kit if you want to future perfect. Make sure the RAM you buy is explicitly compatible with your motherboard. Make sure the RAM is at least 3200 mhz. Higher probably won't matter, but slower will actually slow your system down.
4. Take the money saved on the RAM and buy more storage. High res images will fill up a 512 drive pretty quick and you'll have that drive full in two weeks if you're doing 4k video rendering. You need an m.2 NVME drive for your OS and other critical software. These are incredibly fast and don't cost much more than a regular solid state. Most boards only upport one, so get one large one (at least 512 GB if not 1tb). You'll need back ups. Either you'll be pushing GB after GB of data back and forth all day long or you'll get some reliable drives. I advise you to get three 512 GB SATA SSD drives and configure them as raid 5. This configuration is reliable and reasonable fast. This is where you store your files. Pick up a fourth drive as a backup at your earliest convenience. A raid five configuration means you can lose one drive and recreate from the other two.

Other expenses include a case, a decent motherboard, a power supply, and at least one monitor. You're not going to notice anything above 4k 60fps for what you're doing. Better to spend an extra $20 and get an extra 100 watts on your PSU than to buy another one.

Claims to do photo and video editing, but encoding is the only thing he does. So you splice clips together?

stock cooler @ 5.0Ghz
keep dreaming

512 GB SSD video editing with a 5k screen. lol. Imagine buying a rig in 2019 and not putting an NVME drive in it because you've got plenty of usb 2.0 flash drives hanging around.

>the total ends up being around $2600 for the full package.
How much will it be after the taxes?
I mean, it's hard to compare prices with other countries without knowing that.

The general idea is that i9 (seems like 9900k) is very expensive, so the variance in its price can affect the total considerably.
RAM price varies dramatically depending on the specs. I'd assume iMac uses pretty garbage RAM by default, given the frequency is 2666 and timings aren't specified.
The graphics card in the spec is pretty cheap, so there's that.
5k monitors are just another Apple meme - there is no market, no manufacturers, no demand, so they are absurdly overpriced. You are highly unlikely to get the same value for your money if you are set on getting 5K specifically.
There are better (in everything but resolution, obviously) 4K offers out there that cost less. Or you can wait/save up for an 8K if the resolution is your utmost top priority.
SSD prices vary depending on the type. You can get a faster NVME than iMacs have by going for something like Samsung EVO 970, or get much more storage by getting regular SSDs. You'll also have close to no limits in terms of storage expandability.
Motherboard and cooling are big factors too as they vary from dirt-cheap to expensive with the latter providing more headroom for overclocking. That's kinda important because overclocking is pretty "normal" nowadays. Even the advertised RAM speeds you see are in fact based on the XMP profile, which is already overclocking.

>Claims to do photo and video editing, but encoding is the only thing he does. So you splice clips together?

Yeah, the majority of professional work out there, doesn't require that crazy of editing. I'm mainly using it for wedding videos, which don't require heavy graphics. So yeah, I "splice clips".

>512 GB SSD video editing with a 5k screen. lol
Yeah, why would I need more than 512 for my OS and programs? I have been editing on external drives for the last 5 years without a hitch. I work off of a 1tb ssd with a single project, when that's done, I dump it onto my 8tb back up drives, I'm not so sure what's unbelievable about this. Are you familiar with actual video editing?

Thank you for this. If I were to build a PC, the m.2 would definitely be in there. The one I built at work is the samsung evo 960 512gb, it's incredible.

What major benefit does the vega have over the 580x?

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X 37980JPY
CPU Fan: stock 0JPY
Motherboard: ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI) 34632JPY
Memory: G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GTZ 30353JPY
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Palit GameRock Premium 79920JPY
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO MZ-V7E500B/IT 500GB 14327JPY
Display: LG 32gk850f-b 144hz 1440p 51737JPY
Audio: Sennheiser HD598 13400JPY
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 9871JPY
Mouse: Logicool Mouse G502 6987JPY
Mouse pad: SteelSeries QcK XXL 4363JPY
Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6 v.2 20756JPY
PSU: Corsair RM850x 11800JPY
UPS: CyberPower 1200VA 20247JPY

PC: 229768JPY
Total: 336373JPY

Here are my current specs for a "high but not the highest"-end desktop with everything included (except for the mic and camera, which were another 20k yen).

For video editing, the obvious choices would be to
1) Go for Intel instead of AMD
i9 9900k is about 80% more expensive than 2700X. Getting a dedicated CPU fan is also mandatory, so assuming the price to be 2x is not wrong.
That being said, getting a top of the line motherboard isn't really necessary, so you can save like $100 there.
2) Get a budget GPU
For instance, RX590 is like 1/3 the price
3) Get another monitor
You can get a good 4K for the same price
4) Waste less money on audio/peripherals/case/UPS

>5k monitors are just another Apple meme - there is no market
There should be, 4k is just sad

I'm in the US, so I'm sure the taxes are fairly average. And yes, the ram in the mac I assume isn't top tier based on the other ram choices I saw when picking parts out.

5k isn't absolutely needed, but I edit a lot of 4k footage. I was just thinking that having a 5k monitor would allow me to view the 4k closer to real scale when editing than a 4k monitor, due to the video editors having a windowed view of your video. So a 4k monitor might only be displaying a 1080 image when you've got your program running

if you're doing serious professional editing, 8GB is not nearly enough.
see pic related. you can get 4x the RAM (higher speed, too), a slightly better GPU, and a properly-ventilated enclosure that won't throttle your CPU for almost $550 cheaper, including monitor.

If pic related were gimped to have equivalent specs to the Mac, the price difference would be closer to $700. It's up to you whether you think MacOS is worth $700.

Attached: 2019-04-01-220533_1170x1604_scrot.png (1170x1604, 217K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/mQ2DWD
Here's a build that keeps the 9900k and is at the same price point. This build will automatically oc the 9900K to 5GHz, has 64 gigs of ram, while also gaining higher ram speed and lower latency ram, a better cpicooler, way better airflow, and a 2060 (way better than a 580)

SATANIAAAAAA

Thank you!! That looks great.

Attached: 1554175214359756983293.jpg (2048x1536, 610K)

even if you don't choose this build, I would definitely go with the asus z390 motherboard since it will auto overclock your 9900K without having to configure anything. i've tried the auto ocer out and it works pretty well

Attached: 15541754161331096917958.jpg (2048x1536, 718K)

Here's the link to if you'd like it too. Other user's build looks more well-rounded, though. I just made this one to demonstrate what you're really paying for.
pcpartpicker.com/list/XTxvJ8

Low quality bait.

macOS is fucking great so I understand why you’d want to go the iMac route but seriously consider a Hackintosh instead. You can build a system to the exact specs you want and still enjoy macOS. Just keep in mind you’ll need to get specific parts for things like AirDrop to work properly. God speed, user!

OH NO NO NO NO
AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1553568341465.png (1182x1611, 709K)

>muh manchildOS
Back to your containment board.

oh damn you got me good. rip.

>BUILD a computer
>buy a PREBUILT fagintosh
Get your story strait, dumbass.🙁

Does mac support 10bit on a second monitor?

>>>/pcbg/
they have parts pickers and lists
highly recommended

The i9 will just throttle in that iMac, upgrade the GPU to Vega 48 instead!
> pic related

Attached: 083C3367-696A-4566-A269-B674F88F6B1F.jpg (2048x955, 923K)