IMac as Plex server

Sorry I this is a brainlet question. I have a old windows laptop which I currently torrent my kino to. This was great during uni but just bought first home and have multiple devices I'd like to view stuff on (iPad and a few TVs), and so going to either need to subscribe to Netflix, prime etc or become a plexbull.

I have setup Plex on my laptop and have got it working great, however I've never actually used a Mac for a long period of time so don't know the intracasies of how its going to work. (I definitely want one though, love the rest of the Apple products)

My planned server is going to be
>Cheapest 27" 2019 iMac with 16gb ram and 256gb ssd upgrade for programs
>Lacie 20 terabyte thunderbolt 3 external harddrive for kino (and general backup)

Are there going to be any issues with making a dedicated Plex account on the imac, leaving it logged in all the time and then having account for actual usage? Will I be able to turn the screen off and is it going to make the fans go into whirrr mode?
Is it generally a good experience?

Attached: imac-215-selection-hero-201706_GEO_GB.png (892x820, 330K)

Why would you get an iMac and not a Mac mini in this use case?

iMac is faaar better value.

Mac mini with equivalent specs but no gpu is 750 gbp less. I need a new pc anyway, and a monitor + speakers + webcam of similar quality is way more than 750. Probably going to sell the keyboard/mouse which came with it and that's another 100 which wouldn't come with the mini

Actually I might have wrote out my op like a retard, this is going to be my main pc as well as a Plex server so the screen will get regular use.

Your fortune: You will meet a dark handsome stranger

Attached: phonecall.jpg (1222x1080, 155K)

Just make sure you upgrade that "fusion drive" or whatever the fuck they call it, non-flash storage in 2019 is poverty af.

Plex runs no problem on Unix.

idk if it's still a thing, but check out macOS Server, it's something you install on top of macOS, might me able to run services Linux-style with that.

>itoddlers

Attached: UQRt7ZO.jpg (1105x1009, 274K)

>dissing mechanical storage when it's much cheaper and only slightly slower than an SSD

Attached: 1552190009304.png (326x301, 35K)

>frogposters
>pedo scum

😂

Attached: lmao.png (282x424, 50K)

>iMac as Plex server
Mac as any server is pants on head retarded. Apple gave up on servers years ago.
It'll work but You're wasting money.

>Mac...Server
Install gentoo

Attached: ryjnto.png (594x648, 152K)

Hdds are 5 times slower than ssds

maybe if you use a dogshit slow 5400rpm HDD
but a 7200rpm HDD can almost keep up with an SSD and costs much less per gigabyte

Imagine being this poor and delusional.

imagine paying 100$ for 1tb of storage when a HDD of the same size would have cost half as much just because "muh 10 second boot times"

I have 10TB of mechanical storage and I'd never recommend using an HDD as a boot drive, I've been using solid state for boot since 2011 and there's a reason for that.

You can pick up a 500GB SATA SSD for less than £50, if you can't afford that and an HDD why even bother building a pc.

£50 roughly equals out to 65$, you can easily get a 2tb HDD for that price, i don't know what planet you have to live on where not only SSDs are *that* massive of an improvement over HDDs, but also where paying more money for less storage seems like a good idea, i had a 500 gig hard drive in my old PC, that filled up within 6 months, and when the time came to upgrade from that pile of shit, i chose a 2tb hard drive, a 2tb SSD still costs, at minimum, 250$, that's a massive hike in price for the same amount of storage, and for what? somewhat increased boot times? quit trying to pretend that SSDs are competitive in the current year, maybe they will be competitive 5-10 years from now, but not today

Your post absolutely reeks of poorfaggotry, I needed tons of storage so I bought 2 x 4TB drives but I would never go back to using mechanical storage for boot, it really is an immediately noticeable difference and the fact you don't agree shows that you've never used solid state for any period of time.

This is the technology board, I like new tech and I was amazed by the speed difference when I bought a 60GB SSD in 2011, it was worth it then and it's especially worth it now the price per GB has dropped so significantly. Having a fast boot drive translates to vastly increased performance when booting bloated apps or large files, if you're running Libre Office on Puppy Linux sure you won't notice but I use Windows and macOS and the difference is considerable.

You should look at jellyfin for your media server.