I'm ready to start learning C++

I'm ready to start learning C++
and I don't want it to get a job, at least not in the next 3 years
my goal is to create clone of minecraft [spoiler]I know it sounds autistic, I don't give a shit I just want to do it[/spoiler]
so firstly, where do I start, what subjects can I skip and which ones do I have to spend most time on learning?
and secondly how many months/years is it going to take me to create somethinig like in this video: youtube.com/watch?v=ujGW5y1x7Jg assuming I know basically nothing know (except of course middle school stuff like for, do, do-while etc)

Attached: 1540100194762.jpg (608x336, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

minetest.net/
minetest.net
stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Watch videos by bjarne stroustrup
And only by him
Buy his book
He has the wisdom you will need to understand cpp

Read the book
Read the other book he wrote

This comes from a guy that read other books than his first.
I did manage to write cpp but it sucked

He is the stallmann/Torvalds/.. of cpp

thanks user

I have a pdf of bjarne's beginner book if u want

sure, I will probably buy one tho in few weeks because I hate reading from my iPad/desktop

i think stroustrup is not good option for beginners

But he says so

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-02-17-16-59.png (1600x2560, 875K)

Just practice and look up stuff on Google and stack overflow. Also, looking at other people's C++ code on GitHub is a good chance to make sure you're not writing absolute dog shit.

But why C++ and not a python game engine?
Seriously, stop wasting your precious time if it's a one man project.

isn't C++ more stable? I have plenty of time btw

>creating an even slower minecraft
what would be the point

>stable
No, writing python is writing verified code. You can't go wrong.
>slower
Oh no! 15% CPU usage instead of 10%

Python?
C++ is the language of the game industry, and even if he didn't want to use that it would still be better to use C#.
Python is a babby language for writing small scripts and for researchers who can't program.๐Ÿท

Python is a turing complete language.
C++ is a turing complete language.
Therefore, both languages are equally as computationally powerful.

Literally all algorithms ever invented can have the same asymptotics in C++ and Python.

kek you sound like a cs student who just learned about turing compleness.
Tons of things are turing complete, including the C preprocessor and the caching mechanism on some CPUs, it doesn't mean shit. Partial recurisive functions are turing equivalent - it's _that_ easy.

He's should learn to program in a programming language that gives him good habits, and Python is literally the new JS.

>Python is literally the new JS
Well, you sound like a coding bootcamp goer. He should use whatever lets him concentrate on the game and only the game, not the syntax.

Yeah? You the one that suggested he used another language than he intended.

minetest.net/

Writing good C++ is an entire profession, it's no journey for him to take up for a pet project.

>15%
Yeah okay retard.
Go generate new chunks at anything higher than 10 render distance.
Go turn your render distance to 32+.
Go into an area with a more than average amount of mobs.
Go do literally anything that doesn't require you to move the camera.
Watch your CPU usage shoot the fuck up.

Fuck Java Minecraft.

I'm all for, he could mask those as features - deep cave exploration instead of wide open world - something like Arx Fatalis.
Keep me posted, OP.

start with C

Have a look at Minetest, a FOSS clone of Minecraft that is written in C++. minetest.net

>Literally all algorithms ever invented can have the same asymptotics in C++ and Python
That is not even the definition of Turing completeness you dingo
Translating a two-dimensional TM to a one-dimensional one will give you a polynomial overhead

The biggest unsolved question in cs is literally the question whether translating one Turing complete model (nondeterministic) into another Turing complete model (deterministic) will necessarily give you an exponential overhead

Turing completeness say nothing about complexity

its under free publication you can find it anywhere online

>what is space time complexity

I can't wait for c++ to die already

Attached: 1552668260288.png (318x269, 113K)

might as well write the game with a big knex marble machine, since its probably turing complete

Hey bjarne

they know

Attached: 1554058988927.jpg (1062x746, 871K)

what is it

Why do you believe either simulates a nondeterministic Turing machine?

The eyes

man with eyes, who hjje is>

Read SICP then watch all the lectures of Mr. NagoorBabu Sir.

Attached: 1553299764560.gif (849x458, 150K)

Link or name pls?

so what are we gonna use for games

Where to buy these glasses?

idiot

>making games in Python
so you want OP to never make anything other than toy projects (in regards to gamedev) and possibly VNs?

You want to write the engine too? Will be hard in 3 years.

bump

This link is full of resources to learn c++
stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

Imagine thinking C++ will ever die.
Jow Forums must be the most retarded board, I can't even bother anymore.. It's like saying I can't wait for classical music to die already.

Just fuck off you fucking trash. There's still tens of thousands of jobs for C++ in terms of embedded systems and software engineering, etc.. and they will never go away.

>want to create a minecraft clone

Attached: 55840277_1031757290358473_2397877118915575808_n.jpg (960x960, 49K)

people said the same thing about latin

1) Don't aim to make a game larger/better than minecraft

Because it will take too much time, and you will lose motivation and quit halfway

2) Aim to make a smaller game you can complete in 1 or 2 months. it can be a minecraft clone but keep it simple

if you come across great ideas, write them down but don't spend time coding them, or else you will never get your game out

3) Finish the game and put it out, be it for PC or mobiles, put some ads to it to start making revenue

at first you might get just $20 per month or maybe a couple of hundred

then keep updating the game to bring on new players, and watching your revenue increase will motivate you, if you're succesful, you can live off it and then start working on other game ideas, if not, you will still make some extra money

But remember, aim to make a game you can release in a short time, otherwise your motivation will die halfway

Minecraft is a simple as shit game, it's a good beginner project and making a better Minecraft wouldn't be hard

I always dreamed about a game in a setting like Arx Fatalis, only it would be focused on stealth and skills related to that instead of a fantasy rpg. A Thief-like arpg within a city like Arx Fatalis.

>ๅƒ•ใฎไฝ“ใฎ70%ใฏๆ˜ ็”ปใงใงใใฆใ„ใ‚‹
ใชใ‚“ใฎๆ„ๅ‘ณใŒไผใˆใŸใ‹ใฃใŸใงใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ‹

>He is the stallmann.. of cpp
so an incapable autistic?

also > putting stallman and torvalds in the same plan
no.

also, I have no idea of what I'm talking about