Get first tech job

>get first tech job
>everyone is a corporate proprietary binary blob botnet cock sucker
>"microsoft good! open sores bad!"
>only one who uses gnu/linux (alternatively gnu+linux)
>only one who uses lineage os without gapps
>only one enlightened enough to care about my privacy
what's your workplace like? are you a wolf among sheep or do you have b&r coworkers?

Attached: 1550335305261.png (657x527, 31K)

I work at a university where nobody uses Linux, not even the CS researchers.

macOS good, Wundows bad

I had two linux jobs, then took a windows C# job because it had a higher salary. Ended up quitting, I was miserable there and the only one who knew how to use the command line or actually use computers. Wasted some effort learning powershell, not worth. Leave and find a job where everyone uses linux, you'll be much happier

No Richard, its Linux, not gnu+Linux.

My company uses all Microsoft OS's and devices.
All of us in the IT department hate it.
Corporate IT are the same way, OP.

normalfags but they like gnu/linux.

also i was able to convert them to functional programming first by doing wonders with Java 8 streams and Javascript then by preaching every single day the gospel of Scala/Elixir

Windows is the default OS for developer workstations and the vast majority use it, but as far as software development goes plenty of open source tools and libraries are used. Some of the operation/infrastructure guys run Linux on their workstations and so do I plus a friend of mine. Every other dev I know runs Windows and I think I've also seen a Mac or 2, but I don't know those people and what they're working on.

That's pretty cringy user. I mean, really cringy. Normal people have more important things to think about than free Vs paid.
You're not enlightened, just abnormal and antisocial.

Lol get fucked

windows + conemu + putty and you are good to go

it is.
prove me wrong

welcome to corporate america

Sucks for you. The place I work at is a Linux shop. All the backend runs on Linux servers hosted on AWS. We use a variety of open source software and libraries and are looking to open source some of our internal libraries in the future. All the backend developers use Linux for their daily drivers. The only developers that don't use Linux are the frontend team who use Macs but they have the option to use
Linux if they wanted too. Just about 95% of the rest of the company that aren't on the development side of things use Macs.

Honestly, as someone who has developed on Windows, Mac, and Linux, development on Linux is a godsend compared to Windows. Mac at least has a proper shell but it lacks a proper package manager and is either missing many development tools or is using really out if date versions of various tools. Linux has really spoiled me. I could never go back to developing on anything other than Linux.

the sooner you realize that "techies” are more likely to fully embrace the botnet than the average normalfag, the sooner you'll correct your expectations accordingly. Finding Jow Forums people in the wild is like finding a shiny pokemon

There's literally nothing more important right now than the free software movement because it's the only thing that can bring salvation from the future fascist society.

The IT guy where I work knows nothing about computers or security. The entire company is still on Pentium 3s running Windows XP. He also doesn't think Linux exists.

I have CompTIA certifications (he has no certifications, only got the job because he goes to church with the owners) but they won't look my way.

THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR WORKING FOR BLOATED BOTNET FAGGOTS

No, that would be the second amendment and great civil unity. Not amateur code.

We've been using java at our uni and I thought I wanted to use C++, but using visual studio and windows is so awful I'd rather go back to java on linux

My work is all loonix and our *p r o p r i e t a r y* product is just a bunch of open source tools on top of a loonucks kernel and some nice in house network stack

Are you ignorant or simply retarded? Computer code runs a lot of things in the world. Proprietary code controls people. Libre code is controlled by people.

All my teachers in university are iToddlers and I'm forced to learn the street shitting language. How can I hack them without going to jail?

Better than windows

I work at a very large corporation, and they're pushing to move a lot of systems over to full open-source stacks where possible. Within my department I'm one of, if not the most experienced linux person, so a lot of the time it ends up being "hey I wonder if user knows how this works".

The biggest trouble is dealing with all the pajeets and general dimwits who have only ever developed on Windows. It's incredible how many things these people have trouble wrapping their heads around. Timestamps, timezones, automation, virtualization... Honestly it's kind of hell. They don't understand even basic tools like git or package managers work. It's the stereotype of someone installing Ubuntu and getting mad and confused that it doesn't work like windows. They're so frustratingly inflexible and unwilling to learn anything even slightly different from what they already know.

>work at Microsoft
>do exclusively opensource work
>feelsgoodman.tiff

>Libre code is controlled by people.
Ah yes systemd.
I have literally never bothered to edit any source code for anything I use. I don't find open source very useful

Open source != free software

You're free to use one of the many alternatives to systemd

I admin a Hadoop cluster for a Fortune 10.
Suggest moving from RHEL to CentOS. For ''''''muh cost savings"'''''
>You can't trust open-source user.
WTF! Literally the same fucking thing!

I'm in the same situation, user. Just got my first job and everything at the company relies on Microsoft services. Today there was a notebook left by someone that we had to grab the windows license and reinstall it but the customer told us the wrong password. Whenever j went to boot Ubuntu to mount the partition and use chntpw my coworker looked at me weirdly. Also my boss is not very fond of FLOSS. So what ends up happening is I'm not in a position to show my knowledge of using Gnu+Linux to solve most issues and as a result people end up thinking I'm tech illiterate because I don't know how to do things in the proprietary hardware and software they usually use.

What's stopping you from writing C++ on Linux?

>tfw can't into LineageOS without some Pajeet-tier port
Sure sucks being brown.

I fucking hate opensource fags in the office, you don't understand managing scale that windows offers and guarantees compared to linux for most shit you all want to shovel it into

>virtualized all our apps host desktops via horizon/citrix depending on persons job work
>user LET'S DITCH WINDOWS AND INSTALL LINUX ON THE PC'S EVERYTHING IS VIRTUALIZED ANYWAYS
>uhh no, some people still use printers, webcams and other weird shit that the helpdesk can't just tshoot in 5 minutes. Not to mention policy change control across the board is way easier in AD/GPO
>IT'S NOT THAT HARD I CAN DO IT
>okay what happens if you aren't here, also are you going to rewrite all the KBA's for the helpdesk?
>IT ALL JUST WORKS I CAN BUILD A LAPTOP RIGHT NOW ANY EVERYTHING WORKS
>takes him 3 days attempting to get shit working, right vpn software flakey as shit, remote software doesn't work at all, printers/etc are a pain, headsets don't work right for the kind we order, etc
>SEE IT WORKS

Don't mind using linux and open source stuff in the datacenter where I have it in a controlled environment, or even if an IT staff member wants to install it on their PC. It's just that if it's more complex than windows default drivers + unattended install file + join to domain and get all the policies; go home and try again.

here

Most of our workstations are windows, simply because corporate has deals with a bunch of vendors for shit. You know how it is. Still, if you're setting up everything from scratch linux-only ain't hard, if you're talking about dev workstations that is. Obviously for "normie" staff you want them to be on windows.

Still who gives a shit what OS corporate wants me to use I just run linux in a VM for everything lmao

I'm forced to use Windows and Edge or Internet Explorer (legacy web apps) and have no admin rights. Can't even view the task manager, kek. But I do most of my work through ssh to linux boxes so it doesn't really matter. Why do you even care? Just do your work and collect your paycheck. You probably work with people who have families and shit. They don't give a fuck about your loonix nerd hobbies.

Attached: 1530758654891.png (1000x861, 259K)

I meant basic end users for data entry shit, managers, anyone not in IT or isn't high enough for a Mac in their office. The odd shit people plug in daily that windows can reach out for and nab instantly for is great, controlling all updates via wsus is nice, remapping printers is really useful, and some of the odd shit we've had people buy for their employees at a remote site to use just works on windows.

If a Dev, IT person, or whatever knows how to maintain their workstation and run linux getting all the daily tasks done fine by me. Though a company wide roll-out like many "why not go linux" IT personnel that roll up to me with the idea, generally don't take into the scope of time that windows saves in the corporate world for end users.

For servers deploying linux is fine, do it fairly often when I can, much of our Dev team doesn't know how to properly use linux though(all based in india). Shit most devs if they can't RDP in assume the server is down.

at my uni the CS building dual boots linux/windows on every computer

Attached: 1548271912873.jpg (474x473, 12K)

Every tech person I have ever met falls into one of two categories:
>Embraces botnet 100%, invests in every gimmick they hear about, internet of things for everything, buys a new phone every year
>Paranoid, is the last to accept any sort of new feature, either does not own a phone or owns a phone from years ago, refuses to connect the internet to anything that can avoid it
Jow Forums is a weird board in that both these people coexist

>Paranoid, is the last to accept any sort of new feature, either does not own a phone or owns a phone from years ago, refuses to connect the internet to anything that can avoid it
ah..fuck.