Electric Shavers are technology

Electric Shavers are technology.

I've shaved with a razor my whole life, are electrics worth it? The one I tried 10 years ago was a piece of shit.

Attached: 11446318-1154544996188515.jpg (960x960, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.panasonic.com/personal-care/mens-shavers-and-grooming/mens-shavers/ES-LV9N-S.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-Uct5ltsXPw&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=EVL2fJhiLT8&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I bet that razor uses non-free software. Be a real man and let your facial hair grow.

Attached: 1538247714549.jpg (3504x2336, 2.68M)

My shaver has no software in it.
Highly recommend, but only if you keep your face bushes short. If you overgrow them, it won't cut, you'd need normal razor, or use trimmer thingy (not all shavers have one).
Also it is a good idea to get extra mesh with shaver, since (((they))) stop selling those, when new model comes out.

depends? for a super smooth shave? no, get a DE razor. for a presentable shave? sure, if you like feeling stubble. imo electric razors are an overengineered and ineffective solution to a problem that barely exists

>not using Open Hardware razors

Attached: 795.png (853x480, 404K)

Only if you're trimming facial hair. If you want a clean shaven look go for a double edged razor, bowl, brush, and some cream soap.
Making the switch made me actually like shaving. Plus razors are super cheap.

They are convenient but if you have sensitive skin on your neck it can cause red bumps and ingrown hairs. I used one for the first ten years of shaving then decided to use a razor while in the shower and never went back

Best purchase ever

Attached: serveimage.jpg (800x800, 90K)

Electric shavers give me hella ingrown hairs. Switched to a safety razor and haven't looked back. The blades are literally pennies so I swap out fresh blades as often as I like and think nothing of it. This also keeps things much cleaner so I've seen quite a reduction in acne.

Safety razors worked fine for men for a hundred years before they came out with disposable and electric razors, it'll work fine for you too.

Attached: GFLV-Safety-Razor-Classic-Mens-Double-Edge-Shaving-For-Beard-Hair-Cut-Personal-Care-Include-1.jpg_64 (640x640, 63K)

Can you use this on your balls? Also don't these trim down to stubble length?

Nah, I've tried multiple electrics, Philips, a Braun - older version of your pic related. In the end I went back to a safety razor. A chink clone of Merkur Futur is the best thing I've ever shaved with, I'm sure the real thing with really good blades is even better, but 10x more expensive.

It really depends. You'll save time, but in general the shave isn't as close. If you have problem skin in any case sometime one is a better solution than the other depending on your particular situation (ie if you get razor burn easy, electric may be better. If you get acne or similar, electric may be easier in the event that the unnevenness of your skin is a problem but you'd better clean that electric properly etc..).

Overall if you're going to go electric, I've tried a lot of them and there is only ONE I'd recommend - and its not that Braun. Braun is no longer the German made high end but insteead is cheap china crap for a lot of money. Same with Norelco. Panesonic's ultra high end is still Japan made in cutting block and screen (as well as other components) and it shows - its way better than any other electric I'v used.

If you're open to shaving with a blade, I suggest a double edged razor (Merkur, Feather etc) and high end blades changed frequently (NON TEFLON). I prefer Feather - which are platinum coated and great for sensitive skin but ULTRA sharp so be careful. Get yourself a shaving brush (ie either real silver tip badger bristle or the very few synthetics that stand up. Tressence is the place to buy Mason-Pearson who are among the best in the world) and use a top notch shaving soap . Most have cheap fillers and crap in them, so I suggest buying from Rawganique or Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve, which I've found some of the best - handmade, organic-ingredient soaps including shaving soap with no crappy stuff included.

Enjoy gentlemen, I've given you the keys to the kingdom. (note - other option is straight razor, but youll probably just an-hero if you're not up to the task)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Razor, is in fact, BLADE/Razor, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, BLADE plus Razor....

You can if you want. It gets pretty close without a guard, but I typically use a 3 for facial hair and a 1 for touch ups

Do these shave as close as a regular razor?
lel

I use this. Before that, disposable shaving with razors. Now I use this exclusively because I got tired of throwing money. $20 Wahl and have been using it for 3 years. It doesn't offer "completely clean" shave like the razors do, but its enough that I can pass it by.

Attached: wahl.jpg (730x400, 27K)

Whats the name of the Panasonic device your'e referring to. Also tried DE shaving multiple times with a tons of variations of blade, soap etc. My neck doesn't like it.

No but it works for me, I don't like a super smooth shave and it will take care of the 5o'clock shadow

Arc5 (anything less isn't worth it in my opinion, but better than Braun/Norelco). shop.panasonic.com/personal-care/mens-shavers-and-grooming/mens-shavers/ES-LV9N-S.html

That is the version with the auto-cleaning thing built in; that is the one you want as they do NOT seem to sell the auto cleaning version a la carte. Sure you can wash it a la carte and you should every now and then, but as a daily thing its a nice convenience. If you absolutely can't stomach the price (its a little cheaper on Amazon and elsewhere) they do make an Arc5 model without the auto-cleaner which is just about as good.

>It doesn't offer "completely clean" shave like the razors do, but its enough that I can pass it by.
No, you can't even call this shaving, it's trimming. You basically have a permastubble

Holy fuck it looks like its designed to shred meat. I'll consider this over the Braun Series 9 I had in my amazon basket, I'd trust the Japanese over the Germans any day.

Attached: 91At+QC0IXL._SY450_.jpg (450x450, 24K)

How close do these shave compared to the OneBlade?

Shaving your balls is a pain desu

Attached: 11543133-1374517233245510.jpg (600x600, 19K)

I've got an old Braun series 3 and desu it gets me a closer shave than using a safety razor while requiring much less work and hassle.

Can't really see it in the mirror unless I get real close to the mirror. In pictures, its not noticeable, unless I don't trim for few days, then it starts to become visible.

I know, its great!

I had a couple of Brauns all 7 series back when that was the highest they made, and there was a clear point when they went from pretty great to shit. I can't say for sure these new latest ones are as shitty as I recall, but at least 3 years back there was no contest between Panasonic Arc5 and Braun anything in both durability, features, and shave quality. Sadly they used to be Braun proper made in Germany now they're discount Gilette owned and everyone complained about the sharpness and quality of the blades/screen replacements.

If you'll be happy with an electric at all (which does ttake some understanding/getting used to) top of the line Panasonic Arc5 is the way to go.

Oh holy shit its a different world. OneBlade is a trimmer pretty much, not a proper electric shaver.

What are some good ones for shaving your ass crack+nutsack?

/thread
get merkur 34c if you want high price : performance.
they have other luxury razors but you don't really need them

I'd definitely start with a trimmer meant for those areas and body shaving in general BodyGroom etc... Its better than a "sideburn trimmer" but not made for shaving the face or whatnot. It can get pretty close with a trim make sure you use it correctly though so nothing catches or pinches and change the head.

>Oh holy shit its a different world. OneBlade is a trimmer pretty much, not a proper electric shaver.
This is true. If you have any sort of facial hair built up the oneblade will struggle. But if you’re a permanent stubble kinda guy it works great

Attached: YBNQMCv.jpg (1400x2043, 1001K)

Thanks for the advice user you've talked me out of buying the Braun S9, will order the Arc5.

>electric razor
>still needs replacement blades
shiggy. If I get an electric is because I dont want to bother buying replacements

Its the Arc5/Feather guy here and I just have to share these with you Jow Forumsentlemen, simply for the kek-worthiness.

youtube.com/watch?v=-Uct5ltsXPw&feature=youtu.be

youtube.com/watch?v=EVL2fJhiLT8&feature=youtu.be

There's one more out there...

I've never actually tried this disposable , but I figure its probably at least as good if not better than the average Gilette style cartridge razor.

>get merkur 34c if you want high price : performance.
No, chink clone of Merkur Futur is the best price/performance you can get. I heard sometimes there are some quality assurance problems but so far I've ordered 3 sets straight from china and they all have been perfect.

Attached: QS.jpg (1000x1000, 98K)

You buy a single foil and blade replacement once every 6 months to 12 months depending on how frequently you shave. Way different than manual blade shaving, but still the thing can't stay sharp forever.

this is amazing

I use one of these as well, but its only good for people who want to keep some facial hair at all times. You still need a proper shaver/razor for a shave.

Fucking Carney

Attached: 1550279401175.jpg (353x446, 15K)

Baili shaver is way better than that. Also these have gone up in price like whores, paid 2€ for mine, now it's 8€

This + wetstone

Attached: -130922080136548321.jpg (960x960, 276K)

My fucking sides

I covered that above as quickly the road to an-hero. Yes its a beautiful option and makes you feel badass as all hell, but you'd better be a master shaver with a high end safety razor first (everything I explained earlier with the Feather stuff) and then take time to learn both how to shave with a straight razor and how to care for your razor (ie the strup and whetstone are not optional). If you're up to all that and can afford it be my guest, but really in terms of actual shaving performance I am not sure its better than a high end safety razor + good brush + good soap.

I don't know. All i know is whenever i go a barber and they use these type of razors i won't get stubbles untill 48 hours later. So i figured this is a good way. I have this set, and i have a knife sharpening set that has instructions for these type of razors, so i have it somewhere in a box, gonna try to use it next week when i get home.

this. quick (considering it's a once in a week, maybe two weeks kind of thing), easy and good enough. screw all the other bullshit.

Attached: mye6z0frgnukxs5sjfot.jpg (640x402, 43K)

I agree with most people ITT: DE razors really are the way to go. I've tried many electric razors, like OP, but I've never been satisfied. In terms of price/performance/ease of use combination, there really isn't a better option than DE+soap+brush.
A straight razor probably provides even better results, but it's more expensive up front and more difficult to use. IMHO, it's beyond the point of diminishing returns. A DE is a better compromise.

>this. quick (considering it's a once in a week, maybe two weeks kind of thing), easy and good enough.
How do I know you don't work in a professional environment.

Yeah, because some facial hair is super problematic?? Maybe if you're a burger flipper. I don't know.

>So i figured this is a good way
It is, but if you're new to a straight razor and think you'll get results like the barber then you're dreaming. Realistically if you walk away not looking like you lost a duel to Freddy Kruger, you did good.

I shave maybe once a week and work in a professional office environment. There are more guys with various states of stubble and beards than cleanly shaved ones.

Aren't you risking yourself of chemical castration if you tried to apply that somewhere around your nuts?

I know my way around youtube to learn from pro barbers. Things i can vaguely remember is to make sure i rub in the cream, let it sit, stretch/pull the skin with force, and do the same with the razor so it doesn't pull the hairs.. if im wrong i'll be glad to know before i fuck up my face xd

Much of that is barber's skill - I am not sure if the benefit against a top quality dual edge razor for a "home user" is worth it, much less the learning curve.

Be very careful and be sure that your particular blade is viable with that sharpener. Many knife sharpeners or other tools will say they're used for all kinds of things, but many of them are not actually in good condition for taking care of a specialty blade like that (ie knife sharpeners say you can use them for any chef knife, but highh end ones will be ruined by using a sharpener etc).

As others have mentioned there is a reason those razors are sold primarily for barber use (ie Feather Artist Club straight razors are not even on the consumer page the way dual edge are), so even with an online tutorial it can take a LOT of practice to get that good - yeah if you manage not to maul yourself you'll be lucky to start.

youngfag wanting to get into the safety razor game
what do i buy?

I'll make sure to be very carefull and read in about what's the best way to sharpen it. Thanks user.

To start, I'd suggest you go with this. A merkur 34c or edwin jagger de89, they're around 30 to 40 dollars. Get some Astra super platinum blades and try it out.

Agree with . I personally use a Merkur 34c and I love it.
Don't make the mistake I did at first, thinking that the a good blade is all that matters (since that's what actually cuts the hair) and the razor itself is not important. False. The razor itself is very important, as it determines the angle and weight.
I started out with a crappy no-brand DE razor which was way too aggressive, I often cut myself even with proper technique.
After I got an actually good razor (Merkur 34c) I finally got great results.
It's way better to spend 10-20$ more and get a decent razor than go cheap and shave with a crappy one.
While not mandatory, I also strongly suggest getting a good soap and brush instead of using canned foam. Not only is it actually cheaper in the long run, it's also arguably more beneficial than the jump from cartridge/disposable to DE safety razor.

Not that I'm getting one but reading through this thread made me look up the Panasonic arc5. Amazon U.S is selling this right now for $120 (40% off) which is an amazing deal. Just a heads up for those who may be shopping for one, it's a good time to buy now.

This user has the right of it Merkur is probably the best value starter you can get for actual razors. If you have money/receiving it as a gift then I suggest Feather as they're a bloody dream (I have the one that has a partial wooden handle, beautiful. However the normal model all steel + stand is still expensive) but can be stupidly expensive for something that is slightly better than most high-end dual edge razor bodies but not MASSIVELY better especially for a new shaver.

Platinum coated blades are in my experience the best you'll find - check out what I wrote up here Using a good soap (most important) and brush (secondary) is important to your overall shave experience and quality. Rawganique and Chagrin Valley make some of the best soaps I've found to date including those for shaving (chagrin valley has special disc-shaped shaving soaps too). There is a LOT of expensive greenwashed (ie appearing healthful, effective, natural, organic) shit out there that gets expensive but these two companies I've found after years of searching are some of the only "real deal" on both effectiveness and ingredient purity. Tressence sells a Mason-Pearson badger bristle shaving brush (two of them actually) and like all real silver tip badger (no, they don't need to actually hurt the badger to get the bristles) brushes they're expensive. Chagrin has a pretty good synthetic too.

Hope this helps, youngfag. Godspeed on your clean shaven journey!

I found electric to be near useless in a shave but the trimmer was hands down awesome on them. I now just dry shave with generic 3x black razors. I could use foam, but fuck why? It makes it nicer sure but makes it take 4x as much time.

I'm the opposite. When I used blades, I got ingrown hairs on my neck constantly. Since going to an electric shaver I haven't gotten one.

I just use Dove body wash and shave in the shower, you don't really need a mirror if you shave everything

A safety razor with open comb is the best thing you can ever use to shave.