/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: typical tpg.jpg (3264x2448, 1.3M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/reorr/my-theme-collection
ebay.com/itm/Powered-by-Arch-Linux-Metal-Decal-Sticker-Case-Computer-PC-Laptop-Badge/153369984356?hash=item23b5903d64:g:VHYAAOSwCnpcXVIu
office-partner.de/lenovo-thinkpad-e585-10689008?sPartner=affilinet?campaign=psm/affilinet/PC&Zubehör/Notebooks&Tablets/Business&utm_campaign=affilinet&utm_source=777771&utm_medium=2&15
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

holla @ touchpadless crew
bonus weeb kb crew

Attached: x200s.jpg (3024x4032, 1.9M)

Any recommends on a upgrade form my Best Buy clunker Inspiron 15 5558?
I use it to write /lit/ shit at my liberally/cofefe shop and cat videos/2hu memes in bed.
Integrated gpu is already good for my gayming "needs."

Nitori is the true 2hu of Jow Forums but Momiji is cool I guess.

Attached: 877df982f81e3aafae4b968f401bdc8903f92756fe2d5510d2ff441993c77a51.jpg (620x594, 63K)

New x250 battery is here and god it feels good.

Attached: 2202A740-BD18-4E33-8505-7AF1BD18333C.jpg (2386x1342, 1.2M)

hell ya brother! The x250 is very nice I wish I had one myself!

WARNING: many here are jobless and can't afford to spend $150 on a device they use daily.

They cope by saying they need coreboot even though closed source firmware still exists in other locations on the device.

If you go into /tpg/ discord its 80% trannies, you know they are shilling this for their hidden agenda.

>"But Intel ME is a botnet"
There are more exploits on a t400 other than the bios. Shills have no response to this.

Stop being poor, get a job, and buy something that doesn't have a garbage display and can hold a charge for more than 4 hours.

Attached: sonymdrv6.jpg (1280x720, 161K)

Gay and retarded. Buy a Mac faggot.

Just replaced the nasty palmrest that was on my T430 when I got it. Had to use a hot air gun to peel up the trackpad on my original palmrest... Glue sucks! Looks great now, though. No broken clips and very clean! I guess eventually I'll just need to get a nicer keyboard, but I dunno yet... Maybe a Japanese one like all my others?

Momiji is probably the 2hu of Jow Forums :T

Attached: IMG_4087.jpg (4272x2848, 3.96M)

Is this actually real? If I can get a laptop with that much battery life, that would be a God send.

yeah your keyboard is covered in obvious grease stains

>is this actually real

t. x220 owner

They're not grease stains, they're just worn down. Mainly the space bar... Not too concerned, this shit eventually happens to all of them.

Happens to the older keyboards yep but the newer ones use higher quality materials

uwu

Attached: IMG_20190402_131139.jpg (2160x3840, 867K)

Well, worth having worn down keys than those island-style chiclets in my opinion.

its the grease and sweat from fingers wearing it down.... gross

The t400/t410/t420 don't have the god tier thinkpad keyboards though, they switched manufacturers and only 1/3 are the same. Show us your FRU.

Only thing is the 7 row layout, but I guess if you really need dedicated function keys....

Do you have a 6 cell + 3 cell internal? Or is that just the external 6 cell?

Garbage keyboard(that shift key though)

Garbage display

Garbage battery life

Garbage performance

Loud

Runs hot

Low memory

Stop posting these garbage devices here. This is a BUSINESS laptop general!!

Not for neckbeard anime weeb toys

cute, send more.

The keyboard I used was ripped from a T420 I refurbished a while ago, it was already worn down. ;)

I'm using the chicony keyboard due to preference, feels like the switches in my X200 and W500, but sllllightly more force required for a press. Not the biggest fan of the mushy trackpoint buttons, though.

I'm also not really autistic about keyboards so maybe my opinion is shit.

Attached: 1527530733189.jpg (4032x3024, 852K)

So fucking autistic

Good luck getting that under actual usage, user. It'll do 14 at a push with frequency limits when doing anything

There is no excuse to use a greasy keyboard

COPE HARDER!!!! X220/T420 has SHIT TIER battery life

thats my only ibm pad
it doesn't run hot at all actually it's got a pretty low power processor. Why do you even come here faggot? you realise most anons in this general collect thinkpads as they enjoy tinkering with them

Attached: 1552750139320302.jpg (1748x2328, 2.56M)

No excuse using island style chiclet keys either, but that isn't stopping anyone here.

My T430 gets 9 hours on a 95% capacity 9-cell. With a slice I could get an easy 15+.

If you ignore the tranny he'll get bored and away.

wew didn't realise the trackpads were gued down kek, always assumed it was screws. Looks good though

very cute user :3

Attached: IMG_20190308_221440.jpg (1000x870, 175K)

Attached: screenshot0928.png (853x480, 258K)

Chiclet keyboards are more preferred by the majority of tech enthusiasts, just not trannies in /tpg/ because they use it as a coping mechanism.

why do some newer thinkpads have 2 internal batteries

"Tinkering" with a laptop is like people who assemble desktops and say they "built a computer"

You're just connecting a few things together like legos.

Cope harder

So you can swap batteries without having to hibernate. Very nice feature that poorfags can't afford

>ive never had a hobby

Attached: 1552589359120.png (398x582, 342K)

My hobby is USING computers to make money.

Not pretending I'm a leet haxor with a worthless old piece of shit.

I've got 6 racks on my lap

I can get a good 9 hours or more out of my x230 with the 9 cell, user, stop your terrible shilling

the fuck is a rack

Attached: 1553550755401.gif (262x199, 65K)

I don't think you know what tinkering means

No proof of anybody able to do that online.

If so, link a source or prove it yourself.

>"just believe me!!"

A rack is $1000

I love collecting blue-faced hundreds

you have 6k? thats not a lot of money i can earn that labouring for a couple months over summer

Attached: 1531900565066.jpg (1200x675, 70K)

kannaposter where are you
we're being raided by reddit normalshits
quick post more cunny

Can say the same for those nu-thinkpad battery life claims

Just stop it, user

but i'm playing with it

Attached: 1552517203598.png (497x480, 218K)

but the cunnies
c u t e
and
f u n n y

I can link some sources of how the t440s battery life WOMPS on the t430 battery life

I own both, both with fresh batteries.

Shall I record a video overnight myself?

x220 best macbook

Attached: 1548282741730486.jpg (1746x2328, 1.6M)

I have $6000 in cash, more in my bank. Graduated less than a year ago and Im paying off a car and rent.

Its not hard to change your life around and put in hard work. You too can afford a nice laptop some day.

where the hell do i find the sm bus controller drivers for windows 7 on x220? the lenovo site just has intel management engine drivers and after installing them the device manager still reports i have no sm bus drivers, and some other drivers won't install because of it.

Could a nupad survive 3 litres of sweet loli nectar?

Attached: thinkpee.png (1032x1080, 1.13M)

You could just go and get an x250 which is a direct upgrade.

Maybe if someone could test it and record it!

6+3 cell

I already have nice laptops daddy
win 7 is more hassle than it's worth
kek if only ;-;

Attached: 1547120534379934.jpg (2328x1746, 1.45M)

Mentally ill weebs ruin the /tpg/ community with shit like this.

I remember the glory days before all the disgusting trannies invade.

It used to be based af posting here on my x60 back in highschool.

Now I get called a "normalfag" because I work and can afford good hardware.

how's the font rendering on mojave? i'm on high sierra and it leaves some to be desired, text looks a lot better on windows 7 to me. also pdf files look like shit on preview, and i cant even get netflix to load.

that's a lot of nectar

why are you replying when you dont have the answer?

those issues all sound like a result of not having a proper graphics kext installed desu. I haven't noticed any issues with font rendering or video playback
I didn't realise you were a mentally ill weeb

Attached: 1548456751882538.jpg (1746x2328, 990K)

the kexts are fine. i suppose its just a matter of getting used to how shit looks on mac os.

maybe they improved it on mojave or something i'm not sure ive never used high sierra so dont have anything to compare to

Attached: 1551439884661677.jpg (1740x2320, 2.04M)

Hey guys, lurker here. I recently bought a Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 2. Since I got it, I've been having terrible screen issues with my screen and the flickering and flashing that are so bad that I can't even use it when I have the WiFI enabled. It came with windows 10, although I've installed Mint and Ubuntu on it to no avail. After all of this, I've ruled out software entirely. From what I've read online, people are saying that their wifi signals are causing RFI to fuck with the signal that is going to my display, causing the flickering. Has anyone got any experience with this? I've tried a few fixes in my kernel options - some of which helped, although the flickering means that it is largely unusable still.

Tl;dr: I think WiFi is causing problems with my display, and the connector that goes to the Motherboard from my display, and help please?

But then you put a slice on a T430 and whoops now that's better. You're also forgetting the T430 is leagues more powerful than a T440s

If you're that much of a sad fuck then no-one is stopping you, but the extra options of the old style Thinkpads gives them more top end than the new ones

Somehow it still works without any of the mentioned problems as long as the battery's not fully charged (mainly when plugged in), but it's annoying having to plug and unplug the ac adapter every hour.

Why not just carry around a car battery to charge my laptop???

T430 is already a brick, can't imagine it with a slice.

T430 has a shit display

T430 runs hot

T430 is loud

T430 sucks

you should just grab some chink battery for it that one is definitely on it's last legs

Attached: 1548615650721.jpg (1920x1080, 181K)

t. retard

t. buttblasted EE major

What DE you are using? It's very nice! :D

open box with this light like pastel github.com/reorr/my-theme-collection this dude has quite a few nice themes

Attached: 2019-03-18-064304_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 744K)

Anybody have a W700ds they want to sell? Or can someone please help me find one.

>github.com/reorr/my-theme-collection
It's Amazing, thanks :P
I'm user of Debian Too, but the Stretch.

My employer got me new L580 and it's pointy, right corner keep scratching my wrist causing rash. Why would they do it? All the old models had nice, round corners. Is there a way to dull it somehow without damaging the machine?

Attached: lenovo-thinkpad-l580-20lw000vpb-156-fhd-ips-core-i5-8250u-intel-uhd-620-ssd-256-8192-windows-10-pro- (1600x900, 132K)

upgrade to testing stretch is awful due to all the packages being so old, all you gotta do is change the repos in your sources list then do apt get upgrade will take like half hour or so

Attached: 1551534709486.png (370x320, 30K)

apt get dist-upgrade

I do my email is [email protected] I have 2 available

>L series

You're not welcome here

chew corner off

>Momiji is probably the 2hu of Jow Forums :T
The Trump general has Momiji memes every day.

Maybe I should ask if I should get a business laptop all.
I have a job and can buy my own chicken tendies. Not willing to spend more then $800 for recent hardware.

Attached: 1551749071956.png (714x1000, 875K)

I use x201 at home, friendo.

Arisu!
I was going to swap the palmrest on my W530, thinking it would be similar to my X230, but realized the touch sensor is pasted on. How would you recommend getting it off?

Attached: IMG_20190401_180214.png (1670x1010, 1.9M)

Use a hair dryer on high and shove a spudger into one corner. Don't worry about it flexing too much, there's not a lot going on on them.

thanks awoo, will try when I got a chance.

x200s looks comfy

There is one for sale here for 260$. It has my native language keyboard installed already so that’s a plus. Good conidition. It’s a bit high, but can you really put a price on comfy?

ebay.com/itm/Powered-by-Arch-Linux-Metal-Decal-Sticker-Case-Computer-PC-Laptop-Badge/153369984356?hash=item23b5903d64:g:VHYAAOSwCnpcXVIu

I am extremely tempted to get one of these stickers for the other side of my palmrest bc it's metallic and subtle, what do you guys think?

Attached: IMG_1790.jpg (1886x1512, 923K)

I normally hate stickers but the metallic look makes it aesthetic

You need to reassess how you installed that keyboard by the way, looks very wiggly. If you want the best fit you absolutely have to cut and bend some metal!

I've also heard mixed messages on if taping the couple pins is necessary. It seems not, and when you do your power button LED doesn't work.

Why not a plain X200? You'll get better performance at the cost of a slightly smaller resolution.

Looks pretty cool, I'd personally use a GNU/Linux one just in case I ever swapped distros. I also wish they had Coreboot case stickers like they do Libreboot stickers. I can't find anything online...

I'm thinking of buying this little fella:
office-partner.de/lenovo-thinkpad-e585-10689008?sPartner=affilinet?campaign=psm/affilinet/PC&Zubehör/Notebooks&Tablets/Business&utm_campaign=affilinet&utm_source=777771&utm_medium=2&15

Is 2700u gud or should I steer for some intel alternative?

>I've also heard mixed messages on if taping the couple pins is necessary.
You can get away with not taping them but you might also just break a keyboard.
I got lazy with a X220 KB and decided to plug it in without taping them off and ended up breaking the trackpoint and some buttons. Most of the time the burnout should just remove the short and do what taping them would do but there is a risk of it breaking something else.
The power button LED should work fine unless you tape off too much. I believe there was an user who managed to "fix" the problem by taping off the pins more accurately and I haven't had any problems with my power button LEDs.

got my sticker

Attached: tstr.jpg (1200x790, 170K)

from where? sticky has been sold out for a while. also the cut is kinda weird no offense

Who the fuck is paying for shills on a 10 year-old product?

I was thinking about getting a new battery even though I rarely unplug my T530 from the socket. Are chinks finally getting their act together and producing good packs, or are OEM packs still the best bet? And is 90W enough for the model with the bigger NVS 5400 chip or do I need a 135W AC adapter?
Also, what's with this "TRANNIES REEEE" meme that I've seen going on everywhere as of late?

>Jow Forums
the absolute state of Jow Forums

Attached: terry sees your post.gif (222x162, 1006K)

from there, just before they sold out.

Humph, good to know. Maybe my tape was just a little too thick. Everything else works fine so it confused me when I saw it. Not gonna bother fixing it right now, not a huge issue.

OK so i have t420 with 9 cell battery (it has broken hinge/connector and is cracked on bottom) that I'd like to replace and I only have ~4hr active use. Which battery should I get with best battery life?

Should I engrave/etch this on my MacBook?

Thinkpads are great laptops. Anyone who needs intensive work on a computer should be using a *desktop*.