Linux noob. Why does this shit keep freezing?

Linux noob. Why does this shit keep freezing?
>Ubuntu 18.10
>Ryzen
>Nvidia
>CUDA
>VSCode

Just freezes when doing shit in vscode / running CUDA and pytorch. I thought Linux was supposed to be more reliable than Windows?

Attached: 77DC2D9E-8DFA-4CA9-8AF9-343065AB86B9.jpg (1024x523, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gentoo.org/news/2019/03/27/gnome-330-openrc.html
spacemacs.org/
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>gnome

Attached: tenor.gif (200x200, 553K)

>vscode
>electron
>why freezing

So should I ditch vscode because I've had to manually reboot 3 times today.

What should I use?

GNU/Emacs.

NOT KIDDING. HOW DO I STOP THIS SHIT FROM FREEZING IT'S MAKING ME MAD.

Omg you don't have enough RAM.

>he fell for loonix meme

>18.10
found you're problem.

use a text editor and a compiler
dont blame linux for shitty M$ code you dumb monkey nigger

ubuntu fucked up some gpu things. it has been unstable over a year now.

use the latest proprietary driver from the PPA

You need at least 32gb of ram to reliably run gnome.
Try xfce and install gentoo while your at it.

Might be the Ryzen freeze bug. I fixed mine by disabling the C6 power state and using a fuckton of extra kernel options, don't remember what they were though

macOS unironically doesn't have this problem.

the gentoo people love gnome gentoo.org/news/2019/03/27/gnome-330-openrc.html

kewl

Linux sucks try BSD.

I have 16gb. That's not enough for Linux?

My Ryzen kept freezing for months in all linux distros until I found out what was wrong.
Don't know if your issue is related, but for me all I had to do was change a BIOS setting, which I found out from some obscure forum post.

spacemacs.org/

Ubuntu is a shit distro, use Solus.

Linux is a kernel.
But 32gb is a bare minimum for gnome. You might want to bump it up to at least 64gb ram.

Windows 10 does not have this problem.

Kernel version? Install UKUU and upgrade to 4.19+

How does my iPad run Linux with 4gb Ram?

Still a kernel. And you're probably not running gnome.
You'll probably want 128gb ram to run gnome at mid-level settings.

vscode is fine
gnome is crap

This. I tried Ubuntu to test out a new computer build and I thought it was fucked until I decided to go through an Arch install.

>B-but text editor
>B-but Gnome

This:
There's actually an open bug with Ryzen CPUs at the moment, that AMD is aware of and has listed as not fixing.

bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

- Turn Power Idle Current to "Typical" in BIOS
- Disable SMT in BIOS
- Use 4.14 Kernel

This still doesn't 100% resolve the issue but removes 75+% of it.

how many times are you gonna make this thread?
i've seen it like five times this week

short freezes sometimes mean that your disk is about to die

>Disable SMT in BIOS

what the fuck does that even mean? does it mean that it makes it one thread per one psychical core or what?

>gnome is still freezing after 4 years
kek

shit I posted a thread earlier today if Ryzen is recommended for linux and virtualization on QEMU, thanks for this guys. you saved my ass before buying this shit

People told me to upgrade to Ubuntu 18.10 from 18.04 but the same problem exists.

We had this thread some days ago.

And Linux is still freezing.

I just updated my bios maybe that will help.

Try a different DE, GNOME requires at least 256GB of RAM to run stable.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-02 18-23-42.png (1366x768, 207K)

theres basically no difference between ubuntu and solus aside from the package manager (which is very slow and limited in functionality), release model (solus is basically fixed release with how rare actual package upgrades are) and the fact that ubuntu has more support and more packages

install gentoo

Stop being edgy and just install windows 10, it works

Uses about 2-3GB after running for awhile. I'll be sitting at 7GB/8GB used and close EVERYTHING, and GNOME will still be clinging onto 3GB.

lol user people switch to linux because windows barely functions as an os

I'd use 128GB just to be safe

user there is very little difference in debian over ubuntu aside from a couple of drivers (which are already in debian's repositories)
it's gnome that's the issue user

Jesus fucking christ, is it really actually that bad?

Linux? Yes. More than plenty.
GNOME? Not even close.

I had the same problem. It was all because shitty nvidia drivers. I had to install the default version of the drivers that came with default ubuntu install first, then install proprietary version, then switch back and then upgrade it to the newest version and it worked. Tried to install drivers from the site and it bricked everything every time

see

Should I upgrade to 32gb Ram maybe it will stop my crashing?

If you're actually serious about ending most all freezing and crashing, I'd go right ahead upgrading to 256gb ram.

>VSCode
So hard spotting the braindead retard

If you are fine with Microsoft's privacy policy which states it is enabled if you use their extension gallery even if disabled explicitly through their settings.json and their "sharing everything relevant with third party advertisers and law enforcement if we have good faith doing so is justified [i.e. always]"

>vscode
>electron
>python
>nvidia
>gnome
>ubuntu
that's a unholy combination of just really shitty, unoptimized software, congratulations, you're retarded. Unironically install gentoo and learn how to use emacs or even vim.

CloverOS does not have this problem
t. 1700 ryzen

>xfeces
lol
KDE doesn't have this problem
t. 8GB nogames master race

Why are there still Linux noobs in 2019? Windows 10 has been out for 4 years and computers have been around your entire life. Are you a 90 year old japanese soldier who was living in a pothole in Iwo Jima and only just now got told the war was over?

Cut me some slack.

because gnome even shits itself if you are using 2 monitors

>disable smt
Kys
Get the latest kernel and pay attention what shitty articles you use when setting up your system