Why should i use Emacs or Vim compared to an IDE like Atom or VS Code?

Why should i use Emacs or Vim compared to an IDE like Atom or VS Code?

Attached: emacs.png (604x519, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsMsWindowsIntegration#toc7
emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/35545/setting-up-emacsclient-on-ms-windows
github.com/VSCodeVim/Vim
github.com/vscode-org-mode/vscode-org-mode
github.com/t9md/atom-vim-mode-plus
github.com/melioratus/org-mode
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Make your own decisions

VIM.

I really don’t give a shit what anyone but me uses. If you want to know the advantages go to one of the infinite post (here and elsewhere) on this exact topic.

Because programs based on Electron are literally some of the most bloated software ever made. Even on a modern machine, their CPU and memory usage can be concerning.

First off vscode is literally a piece of dogshite. By using their extension gallery you agree to their privacy policy which includes """sharing information with third parties and law enforcement if we [Microsoft] have good faith doing so""".

As for your question: I asked myself the same question then actually spend a couple days configuring neovim (I used Vscode then switched to Atom) . Having the defaults all setup is nice and all but at some point you realize how terribly bloated all this shit is and how much useless shit it actually has and how insecure it is.

Go force nvim onto yourself for a week and you will never leave if you ain't a brainlet. Also plus is that Vim is a terminal application meaning you get all the benefits terminal emulator for free.

I never even understood why people use Electron. You can literally just use a Firefox/Chrome window without the controls. Now you are forced to write clean and secure code because you have to split up ui from logic and can modularize your code without bloating the user.

The only people who really get an advantage by someone using Electron are law enforcement agencies and bad devs.

if you like vim/emacs

Find an editor that clicks with you, user. Whether it's VS Code, vim, or something else.
The only one I'd advise against is atom. Plugins are kind of cool. Atom crashing every half hour and eating up so many system resources that my laptop fans were always running at high speed while it's open was not cool.

To put it one way, if you want to know whether someone is a shitty programmer, ask them how they feel about Javascript.

what youre referring to as vim is in fact vi/vim, or as i've recently taken to calling it, ex/vi/vim, or as i've recently taken to calling it, ed/ex/vi/vim

Kill yourself

wrong board

If you're on the fence, give Vim a chance. That means spending a few weeks with it and trying to use it for serious work. At the very least, exploring its macro and shortcut capabilities will help you reexamine your workflow and style. You will probably increase your speed/comfort. Not that editing speed is such a big deal anyway.

You can opt out and block outbound connections mongoloid
Nobody forces you to use shit, the Linux ecosystem was doing this for years if not decades until privacy concerns started. Of course the comparison is retarded, just like thinking the development of such an editor based on shitty electron in just couple of years is feasible without collecting logs, thing that is still done by default on like 95% of software.

People seem to say Emacs is slower than Vim, but when I use them they both seem pretty fast. Or is there something I'm missing?

Memes, Emacs is lighter than Vim now that Vim became a Frankenstein.

Just switched to Emacs evil mode from vim. You have an editor that you can customize or even program, it's useful. Also having really well designed keybinds to quickly move around, edit, and type text is a god send. I despise typing normally and not having my VI keys.

Because emacs has a package manager where it can check for updates upon startup which is what makes it slow down. And probably other stuff that I don't know about.

First of all, fuck Vim.

I've used a version of Emacs on VAX/VMS, every Unix or Linux machine I've ever used, and currently, my home and work Windows 7 PCs.

I'm sure there will be a version of Emacs on every OS you ever have or will use. You only need to learn one editor. EMACS.

M-x tetris
M-x snake
M-x butterfly //Not for beginners!

What you mean?
All you have to do is add one more plugin and you can have all the functionality of a modern IDE. Because that's what you really want as a vim kiddie is to replicate modern IDE functionality in a text editor meant to be keept simple.
Vimscript is also great!

Attached: vimecabomina5ion.png (355x399, 198K)

This guy fucks.

I just ported my theme from vim to emacs and my final migration is almost done

Attached: tfw half life 3 confirmed .jpg (299x169, 6K)

Has there even been an uglier logo?

How are you shilling vsc when ANY code editor in the world now offers the same intelligent experience ?? Say thank you Microsoft for standardizing the lsp protocol.

>without collecting logs
Vim and Emacs are certainly non existent and not couple decades older than your shitty brainlet electron shit right? Also Emacs supports guis that ecetron apps couldn't even ever dream fof in its wettest dreams. f a company like Mozilla wants telemetry for a browser which officially documents how to entirely disable it in 10 seconds that is perfectly fine.

If an entity that is known for abuse and for profit like Microsoft wants telemetry for an Editor (one of the most sensitive parts of modern computing) and doesn't even allow disabling it without losing a very relevant part of its feature set now that is simply hostage taking. And no you can't disable telemetry without disabling extensions. They even had a git issue for it.

>need to disable networking/filter specific network packages to run an application
>by doing so (or compiling without telemetry) I lose that applications ability to install extensions
Are you a paid shill or just really really dumb?

I wanted to try vscode but this forced telemetry sounds insane (but like typical Microsoft desu).

Can you tell me one reason to use vscode other than its "intelligent" editing? Every editor now has the literal exact same intelligence so that argument is irrelevant. The only edge I can see is the integrated debugger (not even the debugger itself but the uniformity) which really shouldn't be the reason to pick an editor that forces telemetry upon you.

>And no you can't disable telemetry without disabling extensions.
lel.

its the flavor on the (((month)))
before this sublime was all the rave.
and before that others...
only emacs as old and crusty as it can be is the tried and true editor.

Emacs and Vim users are smarter. Of course, that doesn't mean using Emacs or Vim will make you smarter, it just means that if you chose an IDE like Atom, you're in the bottom half of the curve.

Emacs has lisp. No other program can compete.

fpbp

desu

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u4.jpg (458x550, 40K)

I like both logos desu

Because it's better

Those aren't IDEs. Nobody has to explain anything to you.

>Emacs is lighter than Vim
lol

emacs has horrendous start up times relative to vim. If you're in the habit of closing and opening your editor everytime you edit a file, as vi users are, trying to use emacs is a nightmare. However, emacs is intended to be opened once and then remain running, and you read and write files from it as desired.

Visual Studio > anything else

There are several ways to make the startup faster by loading only what it needs like use-package.

It’s lies spread by liars. Emacs starts up nearly instantly. 30 years ago it took a minute or two.

Just use Sublime

you're doing it wrong, you only have tu start emacs once (/usr/bin/emacs --daemon) and keep it running. Alias emacs='emacsclient -c' and each time you call emacs it will instantly display a window for emacs because the configuration is already loaded in the background. can also work in windows too btw
emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsMsWindowsIntegration#toc7
emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/35545/setting-up-emacsclient-on-ms-windows

based, wheres the like button when you need it

or as i've recently taken to calling it, qed/ed/ex/vi/vim

I shilled emacs in this very thread faggot, i just told a solution for brainlets who they think vsc is fully botnet. And no, you can disable telemetry without disabling any extensions.
You can't have a dick in your ass and your soul in heaven, or translated for faggots like you : you can't have a free and fully fledged editor on par almost with sublime and compromising a little performance for IDE features translated into extensions.
And i hate electron more than all of you combined, but use your 3 neurons to realize how MS did this for free : took existing visual studio features and translated them into shitty electron code just so you faggots can enjoy the free editor on Mac and Linux aswell.
At this point Microsoft should pay me for all the free shilling and explaining i did, but i swear some of you fuckers are dumb and entitled as fuck

based emacs videogame user

>can use vi-keys in org-mode

Attached: 56631950.jpg (400x400, 96K)

There is one reason to use Vim, and that is the ability to use essentially a generalized text-editing language to edit text. You can do things like generate new code like tests given pre-existing code, refactor a programming pattern with variations, and cut out dozens of repetitive text editing tasks that you do every day. On top of that, you get a minimal text editing system to configure however you want.

but why not do both:
github.com/VSCodeVim/Vim
github.com/vscode-org-mode/vscode-org-mode
github.com/t9md/atom-vim-mode-plus
github.com/melioratus/org-mode

they all suck.

it is a fucking nightmare, tbqh.

*Vanilla* Emacs starts up instantly, but then that's missing the point of emacs.

I've been checking some guides on the intewebs and you can make emacs startup faster, you can even make its latency faster. Look for it.

Emacs/atom/vscode/vim are the same tier editors

then what's in the tier above?
>inb4 sed or some shit like that

Ed man, ed

Attached: ed cheat sheet.png (556x5537, 154K)

I use emacs at my programming job but I'm not very good at my job.

>vim with its 10 different interpreters for 10 different shitlangs
>minimal text editing system

Attached: 1553932585862.jpg (1949x2048, 260K)

Why should I use terminal emacs vs gui emacs?
Any specific benefits to one?

Attached: tux-by-larry-ewing.png (869x1024, 161K)

GUI emacs obviously supports more features, like nice org mode bullets, colors not tied to your terminal, good font rendering, org inline images, etc. Otherwise they're pretty similar, at least for the packages I use. Even use emacs it in a tty on my old laptop and haven't found anything lacking.

Why run emacs in a shell when you can run your shell in emacs?

If you use LaTeX go for the GUI

and run emacs in that

Emacs because you can rice your config while people stare at your screen and they think you're working

Did I say "the most" minimal? No. Compare Vim to any modern text editor and the type of minimalism I'm talking about should be immediately evident unless if you want to be a pedantic internet cunt.

@70418735
The type of "minimalism" you're describing isn't minimalist at all. That's the main issue with hypocritical pseudo-sucklesstards such as yourself, you're eager to overlook bloatware if it is considered "minimalist" by people who don't really know any better.

That is literally what I said, you mouthbreathing retard. Are you so insecure about your editor that you couldn't even get through three sentences before shouting a defense of it?

Vim is primarily a terminal based program with a stripped down interface intended to work alongside small programs and also has basic default settings. Compare that with Sublime, Atom, or VSCode.
That is the type of minimalism I'm talking about, in interface only, only to a certain degree, and only in certain areas. As I said, compare it with any modern editor and the exact quality I'm talking about is self evident, but you need to be the type of pedantic internet cunt I knew you would be and make sure that minimalism refers exactly to your internal definition and ideals regardless of how the term is actually qualified.

@70418917
>Vim is primarily a terminal based program
Didn't even bother reading the rest of your retarded ramblings if you somehow consider being terminal-based an indicator of "minimalism". You're better off posting this on suckless.org.

You can call it whatever you want, but you're still being pedantic by ignoring my qualification of exactly what I mean.

@70419017
>by ignoring my qualification of exactly what I mean
Anyone in their right mind would ignore any attempts to redefine "minimalism" as "bloatware, but not as bad as that other bloatware".

We have different comfort area on the spectrum of minimalism. Go outside and get a theory of mind you autist.

@70419116
You're just completely redefining words simply to make it easier for your little brain to process the contradiction between espousing "minimalism" as a virtue and still using something like vim. This is nothing new and your kind plays this mental gymnastics game all the time.

For some people even having a computer is not minimalist. It exists on a spectrum.

Smug as hell

Attached: hardtruth.jpg (2332x912, 1.92M)

Electron is a nice toy project kinda like a Turing machine model (some) kids make as a hobby. Shows their cleverness and they deserve a pat on the head. But using it as a production tool? You're kidding me.

Hijacking this thread because OP is a dumbo. What do you think of LSP? Have you used it?
Honestly, the concept sounds nice in paper, but the implementation looks bloated. Could be nice for languages like Java or Kotlin.

Attached: 1554166807378.png (1198x900, 662K)

It's pretty nice for basic stuff like autocompletion, navigation, and auto imports but the performance usually sucks (especially when refactoring).
I have tried Go and Rust LSP in VSCode but always go back to Goland and IntelliJ-Rust.

based

>If you're in the habit of closing and opening your editor everytime you edit a file
why would you do that

Thread should have ended here.

My thoughts exactly

From the perspective of someone who thinks that Vim and Emacs have their own strengths and doesn't think Emacs users need Vim, this and posts like it just come off as some idiot who doesn't think other people are capable of forming their own opinions on what suits them best.

vim brainlets btfo

Attached: exit_vim_by_language131024x1024.png (1024x1024, 86K)

>Vim has its own strengths
Such as?

Not interested in a flame war, thanks though.

You can't name strengths which don't exist, so this makes sense.

it doesn't have a fucking game section installed by default

Right tool for the right job

Vim for good languages (markup, Go, C, Haskell, python)

IDE for bad languages (java, C#, C++)

Attached: DFAE1F5E-5B8F-4FC7-A207-AC3ECDF7FFCD.jpg (854x642, 87K)

yes, please quit using IDEs

How is that a strength?

Bloaters wouldn't understand.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to understand when you don't substantiate your point without just spouting random r*ddit memes.

How does it feel knowing Vim is more bloated than Emacs? No, optional lisp games dont count.

Pretty hard to explain to an autistic person that other people have legitimate internal lives and make legitimate decisions.

The problem with Vim, however, is that its "generalized text-editing language" is really bad.
That's the main reason Emacs is objectively superior.

How do optional games in some program make your internal life less legitimate?

Yet Emacs users constantly tell Vim users to switch to evil mode

Your statement is not contrary to what he said.