Functional programming is back

and its written with js

Attached: functionalAnus.png (549x413, 16K)

and here's why that's a good thing

at least javascript doesn't treat whitespace semantically, unlike haskell or python

A good programming language would allow just one canonical way to format your fucking code. In the end an IDE would do all the formatting for you just like that, getting rid of all the returns and tabs and extra spaces you don't need to type any longer.
Freedom in formatting code was a mistake.

Attached: 1419317195491.png (572x380, 356K)

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you dynamically typed little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the University of Glasgow, and I've been involved in numerous secret research projects on Category Theory, and I have over 300 confirmed commits to GHC. I am trained in composition and I'm the top monad transformer in the entire haskell irc. You are nothing to me but just another compile target. I will at compile time optimize you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of PHDs across the USA and your adhoc functional javascript is being peer reviewed right now so you better prepare for the proof checking, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your program. You're fucking machine code, kid. I can compile anywhere, anytime, and I can refactor you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with ghci. Not only am I extensively trained in emacs, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Hackage and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "duck typing" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will compose fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking compiled, kiddo.

Attached: GodsGiftToMankind.jpg (360x360, 13K)

That meme ain't funny.

If it counts for anything, there was a real practical purpose for free whitespace in code. Look back, particularly to assemblies and early compiled languages, and see how unreadable *any* code is. Every program required copious amounts of comments to inform the reader what the code was doing. It wasn't a bad idea to allow arbitrary whitespace for formatting to let the writer create a readable program. These days, code is a lot different, and it may very well be true that whitespace should be standardized.

>the invisible part should have significance
No whitespace shouldn't have any meaning except to separate. Formatting like 4 space indentation being memes as standard is archaic stupidity. It doesn't make any sense, its why alot of people ignore it
>Freedom in formatting code was a mistake.
Being this much of a commie cuck. That isn't just call you names because I disagree but a description of someone who want to have no choice, who wants to be controlled.

you know JS is pretty much a badly written LISP interpeter with a C syntax, right?
JS is already functional

No it's not.
t. js developer

does Lua have good syntax

Yes.

>use Jenkins
>have the same commie 1 forced code styling you're demanding
Wow, so hard.

That's right, your freedom was a mistake

Lol no.

Javascript is hell based

I could be probably convinced that forced styling conventions are a good thing, but making whitespace significant has a lot of limitations. I mean, for me at least, it's a hurdle to convert the ideas I have in my head to Python code, I usually have to retranslate the representation in my head to Python's form, making scoping a mess. I would say Ruby-styled syntax is a decent alternative, though I personally like something like SML or Haskell best.

>I can compile anywhere, anytime, and I can refactor you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with ghci.
my sides

Javascript is what people keep trying to get python to be and what lisp has been since 1975.

Attached: 1554196869939.jpg (604x604, 72K)

What?

The current state of delusional lisp users

daily reminder that all of you faggots who adore lisp would shittalk it the same way that you shittalk javascript if it had been chosen as the language of the web

Think what you want. The only crime is failure in history.

Attached: 1553588138098.jpg (960x1200, 179K)

What I'd like in JS is $, #, and functions calls from haskell. So fuck brackets.

But not the whitespace junk. That shit sucks. Curlies can stay. And squares.

You don't understand.
Scheme was chosen as the language for the web and then SUN assraped it with Java syntax.
Scheme had already been running as the back-end language in DSSSL and its relatives.
The reason lispers don't like javascript is that it could actually have been a lisp and it would have been the perfect front-end language for the web.

Write reader macros.

>Write reader macros.
how about I don't, and do something productive instead.

> t. Bad js developer

Attached: 9859485985.jpg (1020x574, 90K)

no its not

Attached: ee850994c67abea6124b882a2b0048b665ee49685ea506d4861c3c2ed58068bf.jpg (400x462, 26K)

Yes go ahead and wait for the version of javascript coming out in five years to include your feature request that you could've implemented in five minutes if the language provided the means for it.
It's exactly like java works, just as SUN intended.

And it's everything™ (and that's a good thing™)

Based