/erg/ E-Reader/E-Ink General

What are you reading on? You are reading electronic books, aren't you Jow Forums? All the smartest people in history read books. And they didn't do it by burning their retinas and permanently damaging their vision by doing it on backlit LCD or otherwise screens.

So strut your stuff, name and shame the best and worst e-readers for features and values.

I'm shopping for one right now and they are so ridiculously priced that it's a little discouraging. From what I can tell there aren't even viable chink alternatives. Why is the technology so unpopular? Is it an optometrist jew conspiracy?

Attached: 1550010297797.jpg (560x302, 35K)

Buy one used you dummy, they are planned obsolesce proof.
For my its Calibre and Kindle 4, the best combination.
Fuck touch screens

Attached: 2019-04-02 22_13_10-calibre - __ Calibre Library __.png (1852x1080, 269K)

Is that a manga on the top? That's primarily what I was shopping for and from my research it seems like the ones that are big enough for comfortable reading of Manga (in Japanese) are way overpriced, like over 250 usd overpriced.

My Likebook Mars ereader should be arriving today. What apps should I install on it?

Besides novels I plan to read manga on it. Do apps like koreader and Tachiyomi work well on Likebooks?

First time hearing of that device, the one I was looking at is the Kobo Forma but I'm wondering what made you decide to go with the Likebook Mars instead?

Mostly out of spite really. Kindle and Kobo doesn't ship to my country. Sure I could just import it but I'd rather just go buy a chink ereader then.

It's between USD200 - USD250 on Aliexpress depending on sales, got mine for USD210. Heard about it here around last year when there was another ereader general. From reviews I saw here and other sites it was considered a good android ereader but a bit overpriced.

Spec wise it's 7.8" which I heard from others is the sweet spot for reading manga but there were some who suggested 10". Never had a ereader myself so can't comment on it now.

Pros:
Android OS so there're lots of apps you can use as long as they're compatible. It's capped at Android 6 though but that was the last Android version with ereader support. Has a headphone jack if that's your thing.

Cons:
It supports external memory which is a good thing but has some issues. If you want to install apps on the external card then you need to format it to a Likebook only format. You could choose not do it but either way transferring files should still be possible. Also saw a comment that it's a bit picky on the cards it accepts but couldn't find more info.

I just use a Nexus 7 and Syncthing and Book Reader on F Droid. Battery lasts a surprising amount of time when you undervolt it

diff user - stick a review up when you've had a chance to play with it? cheers.
fug LCDs, tried Nexus, kindles, allsorts - spend too long looking at screens already, gets old. On kobo now, comfy, but no backlight and too small. A big backlit e-ink wot does epubs, thats all I wants, stupid expensive tho

>backlit

I think one of the main points is that backlit would make it just as annoying to the eyes as regular screens. you mean front-lit as all models are.

yes, I meant that obv.. actually no idea if front, back or sidelit like xmas tree does make them equally annoying as LCD (?) - but, nolight is crap also, must be slightly less crass than LCD. hopefully

Picked up an old kindle 4. Battery is shot and it’s actually cheaper to get another kindle than try to replace the battery.

Need to lookup how to jailbreak the things, figured it might make a nice external display for a terminal or notes. Since I’d have to keep it plugged in, battery won’t be an issue.

How do you use it as an external monitor? I have tried it and never succeeded.

ereaders won't be good until the display tech is freely available on the market for anyone to make

yet another case of IP laws holding back technological progress and market competition

>must be slightly less crass than LCD

the premise is that because the light isn't coming directly out of the display into your eyes and is instead being bounced off and diffused naturally off of the surface just like any sheet of paper would it's far more comfortable to read

I recently got a Pocketbook Inkpad 3 because I wanted a bigger screen. I really like the device, it is very fast, you can sideload (officially!) stuff like KOReader. PDFs are good on it. Haven't tested comics, as I am not a child.
Battery life is amazing too if you turn off WiFi and never use the backlight. Still on my second charge from the beginning of February.

Sure, any apps you'd like me to try out? Gonna try Tachiyomi because I want an easy way to read manga but heard it drains the battery fast. Besides that I'll be trying some third party reader apps. So fast it's Koreader vs Moon Reader vs Libera.

It'd be great if someone could offer their opinions on them and maybe suggests better alternatives. I've been having trouble finding a decent list of recommended apps for ereaders.

re: review, good man, look forward to it - apps, on the kobo inbuilt thing just now -Android, last Bookari (epub) and Moon+ (odd mobi, etc) - my demands were straightforward tho, mostly that app opened books and otherwise kept out the way. Bookari maybe worth a try, avoid/ignore cloud-related 'features' tho, obv. Libera, aint tried, maybe have a look tho

>second charge from the beginning of February

surely you read like less than an hour a day, then?

On average maybe. I mostly read on the way to and back from work and for ~15 minutes before sleep, so 1h30min per day. A bit more on the weekends.

Anyone have any problems with tachiyomi at the moment? Kissmanga et al., aren't working.
That'd be my worry about plonking down specifically for say the likebook mars if utilizing tachiyomi were a main priority.

just download your mangas yourself ya lazy git

Then I have to play with torrents, and nobody bothers with the niche sappy shoujo shit I read from time to time, or the random Korean webcomics.
Tachiyomi was a one stop library for virtually everything.

this is Jow Forums torrenting shouldn't be a nuisance to you desu senpai

Is a kobo glo worth getting ?
Are they the best ereaders for around 50€ ?
I just don't want to be cucked by some DRMed ebooks if I ever get a ereader...
the VNC viewer availale on the kobo is interesting too

Been using a Kobo Aura One for a while now. Like it a lot, mainly because it's not thick and ugly like most eReaders.

fyi any e-publication from any store can have its drm cracked like nothing. calibre has plugins that'll do it automatically, even.

oh okay thanks
are some ebook stores better than others ?

What is the one on the right?

is there an e-reader that isnt ancient and doesnt have a botnet or one that can be removed?

I think the one on the left is the Kindle Oasis and the one on the right is the Kobo Forma

Kobo models for sure have ways around their registering garbage but you need to plug it into USB and change some config file. Pretty simple but yeah. It may also still phone home as long as it's connected to wifi I wouldn't know but they all now have some kind of botnet to support syncing of highlights and whatnot.

Get a tablet instead.

>I read on my phone

Attached: 400.jpg (348x400, 94K)

The Kobo Aura is still solid. Just download pdf, epub or anything else, transfer it with USB, and it just werks.

What's wrong with it?
Most phones are +6" now.

Any good e-reader with a high resolution and physical buttons to turn pages at least ?

All the ones I'm seeing are really expensive

Attached: kobo-forma.png (960x960, 587K)

If it's a Glo HD go for it. But the original Glo display is pretty low-dpi by modern standards.

I have a kindle. dont know which one. but its decent. read a few books on it.

Using my 3rd gen kindle paperwhite
It's great and I don't see why Jow Forums shits on it regarding botnet and stuff. I keep mine on airplane mode all the time. epub support is a non issue when calibre automatically converts books when transferring to kindle

I just wish I hadn't updated mine beyond jailbreak support but it's no big deal