(- 2020 1)

>(- 2020 1)
>not using the best possible text editor out there
You have no excuse.
>B-but muh vi-
Evil mode.

Attached: 1541362593060.png (2000x1607, 262K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ambrevar.xyz/emacs2/
github.com/alpaker/fill-column-indicator
superuser.com/questions/601982/how-to-quickly-navigate-jump-between-functions-on-emacs
tuhdo.github.io/c-ide.html
orgmode.org/features.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For once, OP was not a faggot.

Attached: DqhmQpTVsAAeGjZ.jpg (925x1200, 111K)

Vscode is the emacs how it should be without retards

bloat

>Plebs not using Microsoft Notepad

I shiggy diggy

>>not using the best possible text editor out there
???
But I am using vim.
I tried emacs once, but getting auto switching between absolute and relative line numbers in evil mode was absolute hell. Also getting autocomplete (for C/C++) working was hell. Fuckin gargabe program language.

is he even using it in the year of 2001+18?

pic related

Attached: 0.jpg (480x360, 16K)

but I do use emacs with evil mode, its pretty comfy

get this filthy bloated software out of here, it's Vi that rules Jow Forums

>muh bloat
Grow the fuck up. Also, Vim is bloated as shit, bundling a million interpreters for G*d knows how many meme scripting languages while providing not even 1/10th of the functionality Emacs has.

what functionality has emacs?

>getting autocomplete (for C/C++) working was hell
Yes, chromosome thiefs should stay with vim. Because it's so hard to instal ccls and irony.

Everything Vim can do, plus pretty much anything you could possibly write in Emacs Lisp (which is a superior language compared to VimL).
There really isn't a single killer feature Emacs has, really (although Org-mode and Magit are really good, and I'd probably use it for those two alone), it's a large set of small, useful features that, when put together, make a huge difference.
I personally have nothing against Vim. It's a good editor, and I still use it from time to time for a change of pace. But if I had to pick only one editor, the choice would be clear.

>chromosome thiefs
kek

>Org-mode
>Magit
this all sounds like bloat. I simply need a text editor on my operating system, not another OS on my OS which just runs a text editor and Tetris

Vim workflow:
>Install vim
>start working

Emacs workflow
>install emacs
>it's shit
>n-no you have to disable the default configuration and change all the keybinds to make it as close to vim as possible (with missing features like repeating commands and macros)

OK buddy

its actually just an elisp interpreter that includes an editor written in elisp.
not that bloated by default, but it can be, when you install a lot of plugins.
the configuration is pretty bad, but you only have to do it once anyway.
>repeating commands and macros
they're working in evil mode.

Imagine using a text editors whose donations are used to feed niggers.

I started using it and the more I configured it, the more I realized I was just reimplementing the things I liked in vim. Using emacs properly would require unlearning a decade's worth of muscle memory and habits to learn different muscle memory and different habits. Why put in a monumental amount of effort for very little gain?

Attached: 1552483543265.jpg (2048x1536, 286K)

because you can retain the muscle memory while obtaining more features, by using evil mode

What features were you reimplementing that Evil-mode didn't already give you?

Line numbers. The ability to highlight the n-th column of any row for some filetypes, and the forcing of wrapping at the n-th column for others. I am a simple man with simple needs: no extra plugins installed, less than 20 lines of configuration scattered between a bunch of different files. Emacs is overkill *and* after spending a weekend getting it to mimic vanilla vim's functionality with a bunch of plugins bolted on to it, it was booting slow as hell, nevermind anything else. It's like I was getting nothing for something.

Attached: 1552954039264.jpg (480x480, 29K)

>be a vim fag for years
>cant write shit just quick edits
>need an outliner
>try shitty vim plugins
>they are all shit
>go defeated to org-mode
>"Emacs is not that bad"
>try a few plugins from the interwebs
>"this org-mode is not alone"
>try a few tweaks from the interwebs
>can change the appearance
>can make it start faster
>can make it run faster
>see if there is a plugin for vi keys
>there is
>there is a package for org-mode vi keys
>everything runs faster and better than vim
>no turning back now

Attached: actual-true-story-inbound.jpg (236x214, 7K)

>Using emacs properly would require unlearning a decade's worth of muscle memory and habits to learn different muscle memory and different habits.
You legitimately couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

All of the features you mentioned are easy to implement if you just looked around the internet. It's not even funny how much effort you put into searching for the column highlight when it's the first result on google search for "emacs highlight current column" (n-th column is then trivial, since most user-facing lisp functions dealing with position accept additional count arguments like in vim). If it's a feature someone else would feasibly want, then it's most likely already implemented for emacs.
>It's like I was getting nothing for something.
Nobody is forcing you to use it if all you need is a basic text editor you're already used to, and if you don't feel it gives you anything substantial, but most of what you said is just plain wrong.

I might be mistaken but I think that is implemented.

>it was booting slow as hell
As with pretty much anything, this is fixable. My init time is about 0.8-1s without spaceline and 1.5s with spaceline, and you usually only have one emacs window open. If you need to constantly spawn a lot of windows for whatever reason, you can use emacs daemon along with emacsclient. Since you can deeply configure emacs, you can even change the threshold for when garbage collection kicks in. Increasing it on startup and then setting it back to normal makes the startup quicker. See the first point in ambrevar.xyz/emacs2/

>emacs
Bloat as fuck

Not as bloated as Vim, right m8

just use nano

k shitposter

>not using ed

Also install use-package and only load packages you need at startup by doing :defer t on everything else.

Apparently there's a new version of emacs with a new implementation of line columns that doesn't suck like the old one did. I don't remember how I got highlighting columns working so I may or may not have used the implementation built-in to emacs. Searching what you suggested pulled up a built-in method and at least three other ways of doing it with plugins.

>If you need to constantly spawn a lot of windows for whatever reason
I do, and I also spend a lot of time jumping in and out of my text editor as well. I played around a little bit with emacsclient but gave up on the whole thing around the time I did. I know you can configure specifically emacsclient but never bothered doing so extensively. I know there are ways to optimize emacs and its load time, especially when projects like doom-emacs exist, I just didn't bother seeing how far down the rabbit hole went before quitting on it.

Attached: 1552958162659.jpg (750x750, 83K)

shit, vi rules because it's small and extensible.
no need to have a file manager, image viewer and browser when I just want to write shit.
>b-but you can't script!
there's languages for that you subhuman ape no need to have a shitty text editor frontend, use sed or whatever and script it.

>vi
So you go from shilling vim to avoid naming the abomination? How low have you fallen.

Attached: 44343.jpg (580x542, 71K)

no u

Evil mode here. It's comfy but I wish I knew more emacs to justify using it over anything else with vim bindings. Orgmode and slime are nice.

But emacs is the true Vi improved.

How do I use agenda so that I can trigger "far away" deadlines or schedules to show?
E.g. on top of the C-c a week agenda view I would like something like "45 days until holidays" where holidays are scheduled in an agenda file

Attached: GbaTEGu.png (320x320, 109K)

Why not using a filter to show all deadlines? Or you need something more specific like filtering the current week to display only from the next week onward?

I mean by tags.

I'm new at emacs so I don't know the proper good practices.
My goal was to get the usual agenda + selected events that, although far a away, I would want to display anyway . (But not all deadlines are to be always shown)
Now that you mention it I could mark those schedules / deadlines by something like :always_display:

I am new too, just happen to see a youtube video mention the tags and filters.

>highlighting columns
the only one that exists is github.com/alpaker/fill-column-indicator
and its buggy as hell breaking company autocomplete

>your notes are 2000k+ of text
>need to migrate manually
Thank god the file format is text compatible and can convert to orgmode but is still a pain.

Attached: 1458226474071.png (312x438, 147K)

What's the format? It might even be easier to write a simple org generator if you just want to sort it hierarchically.

Is the program's own markup. The program is called GJots2. I am like a third to complete conversion manually.

Have you switched to the cutest Emacs distribution yet?

Attached: gnumarisa.png (674x626, 117K)

Fuck it, I am making a Perl script to automate conversion.

this desu

Evil mode is retarded

Why do I have to keep installing new things? I thought yall said emacs was so great but as soon as I start using it gnutards insist I install more software.

>gnutards
Opinion discarded.

org-mode is an outliner? I thought it's a planner or something liek that. Just switched from vim to evil.

Just like emacs it's a lot of things.

Ah nevermind, I thought outliner meant something else.
What's the point of having an outliner?
The only things I really needed in vim was the ability to go to definitions & usage of functions and see declarations of classes, etc, and seeing hierarchies, prototypes, error checking, etc. General IDE shebang
Also if I could get grammar and spell check to make it easier to write a blog in Jekyll.

Is any of this shit in emacs?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-03 23-16-11.png (960x1053, 31K)

Maybe this superuser.com/questions/601982/how-to-quickly-navigate-jump-between-functions-on-emacs

M-.

>What's the point of having an outliner?
An outliner is just a program which manages outlined notes.
>Is any of this shit in emacs?
All of it is in emacs. Just look for how to do that in your specific language.

I suggest you check this page to see what Emacs can do as a IDE tuhdo.github.io/c-ide.html

So there isn't something that tries to cover as many languages as possible?

Dumb-jump I think. There are probably more.

>What's the point of having an outliner?
Org does basically everything involving plaintext: orgmode.org/features.html
You can even use it for your blog instead of Jekyll if you really want to. Probably not worth learning solely for that though.
>Is any of this shit in emacs?
Emacs does everything Vim can do and much more, since it's designed to be as extensible as possible.

Look into ido-mode, you can search for function definitions by pressing C-x C-i

Sounds like you need Spacemacs

GNUdists?

>spell check
M-$

>>gnutards
How about GNUggers?

emacs distributions are bloat, write your own config
the default bindings are retarded
what mode line plugin + theme do you use?

I want to use Emacs but I'm too lazy to make my own configuration.
Even if I did make I would then be too lazy to learn and/or change keybinds

When are you going to release it?

I got it GNUisances

Oh shit, that's a stylized Gnu over the emacs.

I hope you dont use vim then because you need to change its configurations too.

yea, I don't because of that same issue

Are you a programmer?

yes

Elisp syntax is very simple, have you seen it?

yes, but haven't checked it out in detail
might do that today, who knows

If you want to later see this post I've got a couple notes.
A function is called with
(function argument1 argument2)

Like for example to activate word wrapping
(global-visual-line-mode t)

And to change a variable
(setq variable value)

Like for example to disable the backup file
(setq make-backup-file nil)

I use VS Code for GUI and Nano for terminal. Fuck your autistic keybinds I got shit to do.

>I got shit to do
Like shitposting in Jow Forums?

Evil-mode nowadays is infinitely better than a few years ago where they claimed they had all vim features but actually had just a handful. However it still doesn't behave much like vim in many, many cases. Tabs are one, popups are another, buffer management/path expansion also count, same with copy buffers (but that's actually a good thing here), the repeat operator, yank/put, and on and on and on.

Don't pretend evil is vim for emacs.

DO point out that evil is a vim-like modal editing system for emacs. Because that's what it is, it's great at it, and it's infinitely^2 better than normal emacs.

That said, emacs with evil would be strictly superior to vim if its other plugins weren't buggy beyond usability (including the most popular plugins). Example: geiser, with no user input, can completely lock up emacs in a way that esc-esc-esc and c-g c-g c-g don't do anything. Sly can break in a variety of weird ways, like autodoc just stopping until emacs is restarted, to managing to send things to the inferior lisp in a way that it doesn't evaluate the same when run directly (breaking the lisp image). Supposedly, slime is even buggier (though I never used it myself). Similarly, shackle is constantly broken and almost never does its job, while popwin kinda works but other plugins can poorly interact with it and make it break, too.

It's a shame because the underlying technology and scripting language are significantly superior to vim. Until these critical issues are fixed, though, emacs is not viable. What good is a nice car where the tires explode at random?

>autistic keybinds
That's precisely what VS code and Nano have.

Spacemacs is a buggy piece of garbage. I recommend doom-emacs instead.

@70423385
>emacs is not viable
I see. I guess I'll be switching to vim now just because you mentioned some niche problems you had where the exact same ``plugins'' work for me without any bugs.

Okay, GNUmales

Typical butthurt macfag. So embarrassed by being BTFO this hard he's just going to push everything under the rug. There there, macfag. It's going to be alright. The big bad people with actual work to do won't bully you for rewriting emacs in emacs every 3 days to fix yet another slew of breakage. That's because they're too busy getting actual work done. With an editor that actually works.

What you are describing is Emacs completely porting the Vim land and dumping it to Emacs. A valid concern for vim users coming over, but not for me tho.

>@
Holy fuck, what is your problem? That's NOT how you reply on 4chins, you idiot. Yet you keep posting like this
Is this a new form of attention-whoring? Or it's some shitty phoneposting client? Either way, fucking stop.

@70423475
This. I'm uninstalling emacs as we speak from my OS X Macbook since the program apparently doesn't work.

No, what I'm describing is evil mode and its users pretending since the beginning that evil is a complete port of vim to emacs, when it's not, which has several repercussions:
1- any incompatibility with vim is a bug (see their issue tracker: that is how they're taking it)
2- therefore, instead of making new features that work well with emacs but under modal schemes, they spend all their time trying to port vim to emacs
3- because the underlying system is not meant to work identically to vim, they have to rewrite a shittons of primitives
4- this makes it very complex with a high chance of hard to debug issues being introduced
Conclusion: evil and its proponents are retarded. It's obvious that they should see evil for what it is: a modal key system for emacs, and maximize its utility in that regard, instead of trying to copy vim exactly.

>However it still doesn't behave much like vim in many, many cases.
Are you implying this is somehow a bad thing and not to be expected from something which doesn't have porting vim (which is retarded) as its goal?

I agree with your points although I wouldnt call them retarded. Also is not bad they are porting the Vim land to Emacs. The Evil plugins might be buggy, yeah, but is not like there isnt other packages that do what those plugins independently of Evil.
Just let them do the work, is a benefit at the end.

Firstly, porting vim is its explicit goal. As mentioned in they treat any incompatibility with vim as a bug.
Secondly, I'm saying the exact opposite, that it's a big mistake. Why is it so hard for macfags to read?

>plugins
What's a "plugin"?

Actually I found evil to be one of the most stable plugins. The main failures of evil are simply that other plugins can interact poorly with it, which is why there are a bajillion compatibility packages between evil and mainstream packages. That is not evil's fault but rather a problem due to the way input works in emacs.

I know what you mean, I prefer Viper for that. It doesnt pretend to be Vim, just Vi. For other major modes I use a vi-keys minor mode package if available.

@70423526
>evil and its proponents are retarded
How does using the best editing scheme with a superior program make one a retard? You're not making much sense here.

Emacs is quite possibly the worst piece of software in the history of mankind. It has been shown to literally harm the users' health through hand RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury), but it is a terrible editor for many other reasons as well. Emacs was a communist ideological attack on the individualist spirit of the Unix philosophy. It is the Soviet politburo of software: centrally planned, restrictively licensed, bloated, and massively inefficient.